SLEEP

P

Peatness

Very useful thread. Thanks @Rinse & rePeat

I had one of the best nights sleep late night. I've had chronic insomnia for years but peating keeps improving my sleep. What was different last night? I added a teaspoon of ceylon cinnamon to my evening gelatin boiled sugared goats milk. A few drops of estroban topically. I recently bought the TriFeild EMF meter and discovered that a lamp I had near my bed was giving out high readings. Last night I unplugged the lamp.

Cinnamon lowers ammonia. Lowering ammonia is very important for sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Peat has said that a concentrated carb source or something like rice pudding, say, can help sleep by making up for low blood sugar during sleep.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Very useful thread. Thanks @Rinse & rePeat

I had one of the best nights sleep late night. I've had chronic insomnia for years but peating keeps improving my sleep. What was different last night? I added a teaspoon of ceylon cinnamon to my evening gelatin boiled sugared goats milk. A few drops of estroban topically. I recently bought the TriFeild EMF meter and discovered that a lamp I had near my bed was given out high readings. Last night I unplugged the lamp.

Cinnamon lowers ammonia. Lowering ammonia is very important for sleep.
That is a good point about the EMF’s on the lamp because I had a miserable year of sleep one year, which I have written about in other threads, that turned out to be from EMF’s emmiting from a tabletop oscillating fan. I always turn my phone off too at bedtime. I have noticed that the nights I am on my landline talking to friends and not watching tv I sleep better too.

I am adding your cinnamon to my experiment list. In my 20’s one time my friend made me warm milk with honey for sleep, but I didn’t like honey at the time so I made my version with hot milk topped with whipped cream and cinnamon sugar. I still make that occasionally, but not for sleep. I thought cinnamon was a stimulant.

Attachments

• D65F5A0D-E0D9-4D1A-9663-419F1F8FC5A5.jpeg
    D65F5A0D-E0D9-4D1A-9663-419F1F8FC5A5.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I thought it might provide a little magnesium.
Chocolate is high in histamines and oxalates. Certain oxalate foods give me aches and pain at night, and chocolate and potatoes are two I have to avoid. The chocolate I feel in my lower back and potatoes give me flu like aches in my legs, but both only at nighttime. If I decide to have a chocolate I eat it early in the day and have it with a lot of milk.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat, have you tried some warm (whole) milk with honey or ice cream before bed? I've been transitioning my diet over to be closer to my post fracturing diet (mainly, full-fat dairy) and I'm finally sleeping through the night without needing so much cane sugar. I was having to increase my intake every few days to sleep through the night--I was up to 1.5 cups (300 g).
So last night I had my egg and cheese for a light supper and then had my homemade no cream or egg ice cream about an hour before bed and had a very good night sleep. I woke up every two hours, but not wide awake, but still groggy, like my body was “just checking” the status of the night. I was groggy every time and slipped back into sleep quickly. I went to bed at 10:30 and woke at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30 and the woke up for good at 7:00. I woke up feeling groggy like I could keep in sleeping. Fortunately for me I have an excellent bladder and never had to use the bathroom any of those times in the night or it might have went differently last night. I will keep an egg and my homemade ice cream on my nighttime list! Thanks for your suggestion Jennifer!

Jennifer

So last night I had my egg and cheese for a light supper and then had my homemade no cream or egg ice cream about an hour before bed and had a very good night sleep. I woke up every two hours, but not wide awake, but still groggy, like my body was “just checking” the status of the night. I was groggy every time and slipped back into sleep quickly. I went to bed at 10:30 and woke at 12:30, 2:30, 4:30 and the woke up for good at 7:00. I woke up feeling groggy like I could keep in sleeping. Fortunately for me I have an excellent bladder and never had to use the bathroom any of those times in the night or it might have went differently last night. I will keep an egg and my homemade ice cream on my nighttime list! Thanks for your suggestion Jennifer!

Oh, good! I was just in the process of responding to your other reply.

Häagen-Dazs Daz coffee ice cream has made me sleep well, but I gave up Häagen Dazs for ethical purposes and my homemade ice cream doesn’t have any cream or egg yolks in it to do the trick like regular ice cream. I also don’t want to put on the pounds eating ice cream at night. Milk does not work for me at bedtime either. It seems to raise my histamines.

If you're ever looking for a Häagen-Dazs replacement to keep on hand for times when you don't feel like making ice cream, Whole Foods carries this brand called Three Twins that I didn't see on that list you posted in the other thread. I've been getting it for my dad.

Also, do you tolerate chamomile? Some people find it helpful for sleep. It knocks me right out so I save chamomile tisane for the evening. I even make a chamomile balm that I rub on after my evening bath and it helps, too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
That's the plan. I'll have a few egg yolks cooked in butter and whatever else feels needed.
I have some sprouted oats to try too. I love breakfast for dinner! That may be a new strategy, since meat proteins hinder my sleep. It makes sense, since RP says to have proteins during the day and carbs with fats at night. This might be my dinner tonight too.

Attachments

• 1BF1F1C6-4C3C-4541-9D35-D039E4E91E13.jpeg
    1BF1F1C6-4C3C-4541-9D35-D039E4E91E13.jpeg
    456 KB · Views: 26
  • C200F286-FA87-4D0C-A418-96A6F78E7AE8.jpeg
    C200F286-FA87-4D0C-A418-96A6F78E7AE8.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Besides the fat from coconut oil in my “Peaty Peanut Butter” the selenium, potassium, choline, magnesium and manganese in peanuts promote good sleep.

“Peanuts are abundant in the vitamins niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, choline, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E and rich in minerals like magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese and selenium.”

Wagner83

Haidut has mentioned eating the majority of the proteins away from dinner. Dinner being mostly carbs.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
JamesGatz has a thread with some good suggestions for improving sleep.

Z

Zsazsa

Of all the supplements I took in my life, the most helpful for sleep was copper (also excellent for night time urination)

Kray

Dr. Peat has said that a concentrated carb source or something like rice pudding, say, can help sleep by making up for low blood sugar during sleep.
Remember reading that same quote recently. Thanks for the yummy reminder. Recipes anyone cares to share???

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Remember reading that same quote recently. Thanks for the yummy reminder. Recipes anyone cares to share???

One could try adding some cooked rice to my custard recipe? The recipe for my custard is on page one of my proteins recipe linked thread below…

Kray

One could try adding some cooked rice to my custard recipe? The recipe for my custard is on page one of my proteins recipe linked thread below…

Thanks, might give it a go! I never consider starches, esp at bedtime, so this liberates my tunnel vision, and gives a good option for hot cocoa nights. ?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thanks, might give it a go! I never consider starches, esp at bedtime, so this liberates my tunnel vision, and gives a good option for hot cocoa nights. ?

I don’t eat starches much either, but a couple of bites baked in a custard might be worth it if it guarantees a good night sleep.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals