What is a good low-cost red light lamp device to get in 2022?

OliviaD

Could you please share the effects that the Redlightman combo has had on you? I too am very interested in buying something for overall health. I live in the UK and it’s so grim in the winter. Today the sky is just grey and it’s been raining non stop. It will be like this for weeks :(
I spent a long time this morning on the redlightman website reading the articles and with their Red Friday deals, now may be the time to treat myself! I am unsure which one to go for - red light only or combo red & infrared. What made you choose the combo? Thanks!
Just fyi - I have been very confused about the red light - as there is SO much info out there, it will take me a long time to read enough to feel very knowledgeable and know who to trust. Yet, I do want to get started. I will now start with some of the more budget friendly devices here - however I am thinking of saving for a red light man device as I want to try to use it for deeper penetration which will involve putting something right on my skin or very close and I don't think I can do that with regular bulbs.

I emailed "right light man" and he is great! I told him about what I was interested in doing/ hope to achieve and wrote me long replies and seemed to be genuinely helpful, not just trying to sell me something. Just wanted to suggest him as a resource also. I feel like he is trustworthy - unless anyone else here has another opinion i'd be interested in hearing!

OliviaD

ive never purchased any fancy devices; just use the brooders with the 250 Watt clear heat lamps and also i use standing five prong lamps ( the sell them at home depot) and put in 5 65 watt incandescent flat faced flood bulbs and thats 625 watts of directed light therapy right there. i keep mine on all day long when working and as of the lst few weeks pretty much 24-7 and great improvement in my sleep which had unfortunately taken a turn for the worse since I reversed my schedule for a 6 month period due to high stress. i reset my circadian about 3 months ago but it has been a gradual process recovering fully from that but the lights at night have brought a huge improvement. I went from waking up every couple of hours to now waking up just once and getting right back to sleep. my dreams are non stop and i am getting my full 8 hours of sleep despite the one waking up which i think will also dissipate with a little more time. like night and day lol. when i worked in a law office in Manhattan office building, i had a brooder on the window sill and a standing five prong on the other side of me. my office thought i was nuts and joked about my "movie set". but i sure had more energy than the entire firm put together.
Thank you - could you explain how you reset your circadian rhythm? I am very much night/day challenged, usually up until 4 am. Do you just sit under these lights while you are working during the day? I do not have a 'desk job' now, where I am sitting for a long period at one time (although could try to arrange it ) - i.e is there a certain amount of time you sat under your 5 prong and brooders (and all of them? ) or a certain time schedule you used?

Thanks in advance :)

parallax

I prefer the low cost and ease of repair associated with the use of brooder lamps and*/or red LED "bulbs" like bluex has on that bezos store. By creating my own arrays I can control a lot of the variables, save money, and have improved repairability compared to all-in-one units. This does cost me more up-front effort, not the least of which is in designing the usability and decor value of my system. I enjoy shopping for used vanity fixtures on that one Bezos thing, but Dealers Electric Supply is a great source for the parts required for assembling arrays of lamp bases.

*not in physical proximity, heat kills LED chips.

OliviaD

I prefer the low cost and ease of repair associated with the use of brooder lamps and*/or red LED "bulbs" like bluex has on that bezos store. By creating my own arrays I can control a lot of the variables, save money, and have improved repairability compared to all-in-one units. This does cost me more up-front effort, not the least of which is in designing the usability and decor value of my system. I enjoy shopping for used vanity fixtures on that one Bezos thing, but Dealers Electric Supply is a great source for the parts required for assembling arrays of lamp bases.

*not in physical proximity, heat kills LED chips.
Thanks. Right now, low cost is definitely the deciding factor for me.
This is one area like most, where I feel like the more I read, the more confused I become, lol. Just when I think I've got a hold on this, I am thrown back into confusion.

I just read another thread where there was a heavy debate re: LED vs. incandescent bulbs. I very knowledgeable person made a detailed argument for LED (however not just any - they had to be 'good') bulbs as they had less 'flicker', which is to be avoided. He had loads of data of spectral bands and numbers and I was sold; however others came on stating that incandescent bulbs are the way to go. Then there is the red vs clear issue - which seems to be another ? - it seems like people sleep with red colored bulbs, otherwise clear is the way to go.

Sounds like you use LED bulbs.

I like the 'bezos store :)

David PS

@David PS Thanks, I looked at your thread earlier today, will follow.

Does 'V' stands for voltage or VAC?

If that so does it mean if more than 130 even better or it has to be exactly 130V? Cause here the smallest I could find are 220VAC. And in my country the standard voltage is 220/230 V.

Is infrared preferable than red having more spectrum or could be overdose and better to stay around 670nm?

In local stores all the bulbs I find are infrared, none are just red. I don't want to order from amazon or abroad.
The "v" is for voltage.

The power grid in the US delivers voltage at 120 volts. The mismatch (between 120 volts and the bulbs 130 volts) results in a different wavelength that is allegedly more healthful. I have no recomendation here except not to experiment on your own. Get professional help.

The general rule is that the longer the wavelength the deeper the light penetrates into the skin. When the light wavelength further lengthens to the IR region, the penetration depth decreases again because water absorbs IR light.

1671584103432.png

I have an LED light unit with a combination of 660nm deep red LEDs and 850nm NIR LEDs.

Last edited:

OliviaD

The "v" is for voltage.

The power grid in the US delivers voltage at 120 volts. The mismatch (between 120 volts and the bulbs 130 volts) results in a different wavelength that is allegedly more healthful. I have no recomendation here except not to experiment on your own. Get professional help.

The general rule is that the longer the wavelength the deeper the light penetrates into the skin. When the light wavelength further lengthens to the IR region, the penetration depth decreases again because water absorbs IR light.

View attachment 46118

I have an LED light unit with a combination of 660nm deep red LEDs and 850nm NIR LEDs.

Thank you for that straightforward summary. I apologize is this is very basic , but if the US works with 120 V, do I need some special adapter to use a 130V bulb or will it screw into a regular socket?

OliviaD

Is that a good one ? Its just $10

I apologize I am still trying to understand this all - but as of now - my understanding is that (for my goal, which is deeper penetration into tissue) , I want NIR, vs IR - which produces heat. Apparently the desired NIR wavelength does not produce heat, so I would think this light bulb would not be the best? Although I like the idea of putting a heat lamp in the bathroom for when I step out of the shower :) Hotels used to have these.

OliviaD

I have several different bulbs. I do not know what works best.

This thread started by Haidut convinced me that 130V is worth considering.

I purchased this bulb designed for swimming pool use in 2016 and it still works fine. I do not have a swimming pool, I just use it next to my computer. :):

Satco 7007 Pool And Spa Bulb 500W 130V

Red light is becoming a hot topic (pun intended) this time of year and I just started this thread (so it is a very short thread).
Ray mentions 670nm which is in the Near InfraRed (NIR) range. Therapeutic effects of red light come from 600-1070nm
radiation (red and near-infrared light). NIR light is considered to be very safe and I have NIR bulbs in a prefabricated panel that I purchased at alibaba.com.
Thanks again for your info. I am not familiar with alibaba. Is it like ebay? Is it a reliable place to purchase things - they have quite a lot of red light products!

Advocate2021

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Caps to show my great appreciation :) . I have been wanted to try to start doing some "red light therapy", but am currently on a tight budget and thought it wasn't going to be possible as I just can't justify spending 4-500 dollars right now. You (and others here) have made my day (week, month) with this info! I am not technical/electrical -minded - i.e even the simple projects some people post for constructing some kind of device are too daunting for me - so I really appreciate you easy, off the shelf solution. I may have some more questions as I read and go along if that is okay.

So - you are able to put a 65 watt flood light in each of the sockets - and you use clear bulbs? Are they infared then, vs. red.

And - God Bless you for the work that you are doing, or at least starting re: the Remdesivir. I listened to your story on the Danny Roddy podcast and it was very moving.
Two of my bulbs burned out on my 5 prong lamp so I just ordered on amazon Amazon product ASIN B000KKHU76View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKHU76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

you want 65 watt flood bulbs like these that run on 130 volts. running on 130 volts gives you more of the beneficial red and orange spectrum. ideally clear faced bulbs would be best but these are frosted as i was not seeing clear bulbs running on 130, only 120, so i got these. the frosted have been in my lamp already and still feel good. The 250 watt heat lamp bulbs from bulbrite per Danny Roddy's video that i have in the brooders are clear faced. when i looked at the 65 watt clear flood bulbs by bulbrite on amazon, they all seemed to run on 120 volts- i may not have found the 130 if they are on there and got tired and just ordered the above which i have used in the past and think are very good. i will put one in each of the five sockets of the lamp, yes and direct them right at me as i work. feels great.

Thank you for your blessing regarding the case and for receiving my story. My personal journey is what let me to this mission of health for humanity.

Advocate2021

Thank you - could you explain how you reset your circadian rhythm? I am very much night/day challenged, usually up until 4 am. Do you just sit under these lights while you are working during the day? I do not have a 'desk job' now, where I am sitting for a long period at one time (although could try to arrange it ) - i.e is there a certain amount of time you sat under your 5 prong and brooders (and all of them? ) or a certain time schedule you used?

Thanks in advance :)
i reset my sleep by staying up all day one day until i was exhausted and could sleep at night - took about a week to be back to regular schedule but the effects of cortisol take time- waking up at 4 am is usually due to cortisol so eating a snack with sugar, salt, gelatin - like milk honey salt gelatin when you get up can help and also before going to bed. And yes i would work by my lights all day- in and out as would have to go to court, meetings, etc. but in my office always with my lights and i now sleep with either one brooder or a couple of bulbs from my standing 5 prong lamp on and this has improved my sleep immeasurably as keeps cortisol lower during the night. Dr. Peat said to use the lights from waking to bedtime and if possible to have some light, even if just on your feet, shining on you while you sleep.

Advocate2021

Two of my bulbs burned out on my 5 prong lamp so I just ordered on amazon Amazon product ASIN B000KKHU76View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKHU76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

you want 65 watt flood bulbs like these that run on 130 volts. running on 130 volts gives you more of the beneficial red and orange spectrum. ideally clear faced bulbs would be best but these are frosted as i was not seeing clear bulbs running on 130, only 120, so i got these. the frosted have been in my lamp already and still feel good. The 250 watt heat lamp bulbs from bulbrite per Danny Roddy's video that i have in the brooders are clear faced. when i looked at the 65 watt clear flood bulbs by bulbrite on amazon, they all seemed to run on 120 volts- i may not have found the 130 if they are on there and got tired and just ordered the above which i have used in the past and think are very good. i will put one in each of the five sockets of the lamp, yes and direct them right at me as i work. feels great.

Thank you for your blessing regarding the case and for receiving my story. My personal journey is what let me to this mission of health for humanity.
if any one has found 65 watt flood bulbs with clear faces that run on 130 volts please share thank you.

lau

if any one has found 65 watt flood bulbs with clear faces that run on 130 volts please share thank you.
i'd LOVE to do this but are u sure it's safe to use these bulbs in a 5 prong lamp? those lamps usually just allow u to use 40 watt bulbs. i think i've heard it's dangerous to use a higher watt than recommended?

Advocate2021

i'd LOVE to do this but are u sure it's safe to use these bulbs in a 5 prong lamp? those lamps usually just allow u to use 40 watt bulbs. i think i've heard it's dangerous to use a higher watt than recommended?
The lamp i have says to use 60 watt bulbs i believe- will look at box more tomorrow
Been doing this for 15 years and no fires lol

David PS

Thanks again for your info. I am not familiar with alibaba. Is it like ebay? Is it a reliable place to purchase things - they have quite a lot of red light products!
NIR lights are specialty items. I have looked and I could not find them locally. Over the past several years NIR lights are more readily available (on line). When you find them, consider that they are a manufactured commodity. They are most likely all manufactured in the same place in China. So the quality may be the same.

When I purchase commodities, it is mostly based on price. I found alibaba to be reliable and at the time of my purchase they had the best prices (even when shipping was included in the cost). My strategy is always the same, I do a currrent price comparison for similar items and make a decision based on total cost.

I personally consider alibaba to be riskier than amazon or ebay. At the time the cost difference is large enough so that I was willing to assume the risk.

Last edited:

HighT

It is not the lamp allowing to use up to certain watts. It is the cap see my comment and David Ps above. If your lamp comes with a ''small'' cap you can remove it and change it with another using common tools. Look for ceramic cap but make sure is written in description how many watts it can hold, cause there are ceramics given to hold just 40-75watt.

Also in my bedroom wall lamp the cap is standart one given to hold 10watt or so, but I have attached 100watt incandescent bulb and it work fine for a year. Of course not suggesting doing so cause its fire hazard but lets say you have cap/lamp that could use up to 200watt but you attached 250watt bulb and you are using it 10 20 minutes a day. It shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

HighT

The "v" is for voltage.

1671584103432.png

Thank you for the answer though is giving me more confusion. Are you sure this picture is correct cause look what I read here:

• ''Infrared light is invisible and is effective for use on the surface of the skin and penetration of about 1.5 inches into the body. Infrared sits right next to a red light on the electromagnetic spectrum at 800nm to 1millimeter.
The wavelength infrared puts out is longer than the wavelength of red light, allowing infrared to penetrate more deeply into the body. ''

If I may ask you something else! I plan on using light to my scrotum for male health :D Than I read that balls shouldn't be heated a lot. Thus taking out the option for using IR bulb. But if I place the IR bulb far enough from the area will this allow the light being effective?

If not, how do I choose a right LED red light for that purpose? Red Light Mini Therapy Device 660nm / 670nm - Red Light Man I can not afford this one. Meanwhile there are some LED red bulbs cost few bucks, but Im suspicious they have the desired 670nm.

Also IR being invisible but red is visible, than the IR bulb is tinted red, wouldnt this give you the benefits of red and nir spectrum?

Hope these basic questions don't annoy you much and thanks again for responding!

David PS

''Infrared light is invisible and is effective for use on the surface of the skin and penetration of about 1.5 inches into the body. Infrared sits right next to a red light on the electromagnetic spectrum at 800nm to 1millimeter.
The wavelength infrared puts out is longer than the wavelength of red light, allowing infrared to penetrate more deeply into the body. ''
Thanks for the link. The website has alot interesting information. The range of 800nm to 1millimeter includes both portions of both NIR and IR. This broad range may be part of the source of the confusion.
fig-1.png
source

The image below shows that as the wavelengths move into the longer ranges of NIR that the depth of penetration starts to decrease. This is because the longer wavelengths excite the water in the tissue.
Picture1_grande.png
source

Far Infrared (FIR) has wavelengths that are longer than we have been discussing but they are part of the IR continuum. FIR is so effective at heating water in human tissue that it makes one sweat and release toxins. THe is the heating 'mechanism' behind FIR heating pad and FIR saunas. FIR does not penetrate more deeply than NIR, it just make the tissues so hot that it feels like it does.

I will answer your other questions soon. Life is calling.

David PS

If I may ask you something else! I plan on using light to my scrotum for male health :D Than I read that balls shouldn't be heated a lot. Thus taking out the option for using IR bulb. But if I place the IR bulb far enough from the area will this allow the light being effective?

If not, how do I choose a right LED red light for that purpose? Red Light Mini Therapy Device 660nm / 670nm - Red Light Man I can not afford this one. Meanwhile there are some LED red bulbs cost few bucks, but Im suspicious they have the desired 670nm.

Also IR being invisible but red is visible, than the IR bulb is tinted red, wouldnt this give you the benefits of red and nir spectrum?

Hope these basic questions don't annoy you much and thanks again for responding!
First, I consider 1000nm just a convenient wavelength for the upper range of NIR. 1000 is a nice round number. For me, the upper an end is a wavelength at which the water in the tissues interferes with the depth of the light penetration. Next, I consider Ray's recomendation of using 670nm to be a nice compromise. 670 is in the NIR and but not in the portion of the range that causes water to interfere with the depth of light penetration. Those are my biases and they are important to keep in mind when considering to which bulbs to purchase. They provide some wiggle room when the choice of 670 bulbs are limited. Cost is the other big concern.

I agree that balls shouldn't be heated. Hot tubs and saunas are not healthy for sperm. IR radiation (do not forget that light is radiation) is not healthy in the longterm. My favorite example of what not to do is the skin damage this truck driver received: I find it frightening.

As a child, my mother taught me not to look (using my eyeballs) directly at the sun. I think the same applies to shining red light directly on the balls.

Red Light Mini Therapy Device 660nm / 670nm - Red Light Man costs $149.00. The same light is being sold at The Life Giving Store for $119.99.

If you are willing to deviate from Ray's recomendation, a quick search on Amazon uncovered two combination lights. Rember LEDs have a peak wavelenght that spreads slighly at its base.
5cd9f4e8-bcc5-4306-a693-974f4dc1fe05.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Red Light Therapy Lamp with Transparent Cover, MAINENG 144 LEDs 660nm and Near Infrared 850nm Combo Lights Therapy Bulb Device for Skin, Pain Relief - $45.99

Red Light Therapy Lamp with Socket,PDGROW 48W 24 LED Deep Red Light Therapy Bulb Heat Device, 670 Nanometer Red & Near Infrared Lights 850nm - $35.99

HighT

Much appreciate the info about wavelenghts, penetration and heating! As well the alternative links for bulbs.

What you reckon about this one ? Solux LED CLOSE RED E27 - 670nm - 6W | led-grower.eu

The trucker most likely has been eating pufa burgers and fries at truckstops all of his life. Also the exposure trough the window only on one side of his face is very unnatural. I know from this forum that sun damage is when the skin has a lot of pufa. I have the same experience, because in my country every single dish is cooked with sunflower oil. Before I was burning every summer and my skin was peeling even after short exposure. Since I found this forum I eat only meals prepared with beef tallow. This summer was very hot, I was working in the garden just with swimshorts, going out shirtless etc. I didn't burn at all, just nice tan. The trucker has not exactly burned, but is still a kind of sundamage.

Looking at the sun for few seconds morning, noon, afternoon is good. Looking for prolonged time at settng sun is good for eyesight. There are articles claiming looking at red bulbs is also good for eyes. But what do I know, you could be right.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals