What is a good low-cost red light lamp device to get in 2022?

David PS

HighT

I can not find anything magical about 670nm wavelngth. It appears to me that the magic might be that it is near the middle of the red light range of wavelengths.
I plan to use the light to the scrotum for increasing testosterone. I read at couple of places that 670nm is the exact wavelenght for that purpose and safe to beam there. I don't know how scientific is that, or it is just marketing, but better to be safe when it comes to testicles. Maybe would be risky to beam much lower/higher wavelenghts on there.

Ray actually cautioned against using single band red light as it was shown to cause or accelerate cancer in some animal studies.
What does 'single band' mean? Is it exact wavelenght or it is just red color without blue, orange etc spectrum? Thanks!

here is my setup, i am new to red light just got this setup last week after discovering this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7hfG1AATtw

i got the microphone stand:
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZKGZ5X?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

the par-38 light holder:
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RNJ9AFC?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

this is the light i got:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Halco-Lighting-Technologies-R40RED250-10/dp/B002UK5Y36/
Halco 104044 R40RED250/10 Prism

still not sure if i got the optimal peaty light. the light is 120v 250watt and it shines a nice red. it gives off less heat than i expected.
IMG_E4371.JPG 2ED4F95F-2DD8-416C-8077-8B39C57D9E6F.jpeg

Last edited:

parallax

Thanks. Right now, low cost is definitely the deciding factor for me.
This is one area like most, where I feel like the more I read, the more confused I become, lol. Just when I think I've got a hold on this, I am thrown back into confusion.

I just read another thread where there was a heavy debate re: LED vs. incandescent bulbs. I very knowledgeable person made a detailed argument for LED (however not just any - they had to be 'good') bulbs as they had less 'flicker', which is to be avoided. He had loads of data of spectral bands and numbers and I was sold; however others came on stating that incandescent bulbs are the way to go. Then there is the red vs clear issue - which seems to be another ? - it seems like people sleep with red colored bulbs, otherwise clear is the way to go.

Sounds like you use LED bulbs.

I like the 'bezos store :)
(I haven't read through the rest of the commentary on this thread, so forgive me if what I say proves redundant.) I do like to use LED bulbs, and I also enjoy incandescent. I even use fluorescents for some applications, but they aren't as forgiving as either LEDs or incandescents. The main point I like to emphasize is that light is very healthy and even required, and ideally the light is either sunlight or it is similar to sunlight. Whatever light we use they should be really bright. Everything else is secondary. Incandescent are great, they get really hot which can be nice but may be impractical to use if you wanted 10,000 or more lumens to simulate sunlight. I use brooder lamps to bask under whenever I feel like it, more frequently in the winter. LEDs are great too, and if you want to leave them on all day or only use a narrow color "bandwidth" they are ideal. I even use fluorescent bulbs for certain applications where I want a little UV.

Here are my personal favorite bulbs for basking under:
tractor supply brooders

Amazoink Bluex red LEDs
(I use red for general pain and green for migraine. Often both.)

GE's bulb which features Seoul Semiconductor's SunLike chips

Here are my favorite bulbs for lighting my house, which can also be a bit like basking:

Also GE / Seoul SunLike

I use whatever random incandescent bulbs in the winter, swapping out the LEDS in my bathroom and similar places where I spend some daily time near the bulbs.

I also use a lot of artificial light to grow plants, and I can't emphasize enough that the bulb type really doesn't matter. Light = grow, "grow lights" aren't special. I'm currently using a mix of fluorescent and incandescent to grow a huge variety of ferns, orchids, palms, cacti, bromeliads, trees, shrubs, moss, pinguiculas, baptisias, aristolochias, and supercalafralisticexpialidocious.

Last edited:

David PS

(I haven't read through the rest of the commentary on this thread, so forgive me if what I say proves redundant.) I do like to use LED bulbs, and I also enjoy incandescent. I even use fluorescents for some applications, but they aren't as forgiving as either LEDs or incandescents. The main point I like to emphasize is that light is very healthy and even required, and ideally the light is either sunlight or it is similar to sunlight. Whatever light we use they should be really bright. Everything else is secondary. Incandescent are great, they get really hot which can be nice but may be impractical to use if you wanted 10,000 or more lumens to simulate sunlight. I use brooder lamps to bask under whenever I feel like it, more frequently in the winter. LEDs are great too, and if you want to leave them on all day or only use a narrow color "bandwidth" they are ideal. I even use fluorescent bulbs for certain applications where I want a little UV.

Here are my personal favorite bulbs for basking under:
tractor supply brooders

Amazoink Bluex red LEDs
(I use red for general pain and green for migraine. Often both.)

GE's bulb which features Seoul Semiconductor's SunLike chips

Here are my favorite bulbs for lighting my house, which can also be a bit like basking:

Also GE / Seoul SunLike

I use whatever random incandescent bulbs in the winter, swapping out the LEDS in my bathroom and similar places where I spend some daily time near the bulbs.

I also use a lot of artificial light to grow plants, and I can't emphasize enough that the bulb type really doesn't matter. Light = grow, "grow lights" aren't special. I'm currently using a mix of fluorescent and incandescent to grow a huge variety of ferns, orchids, palms, cacti, bromeliads, trees, shrubs, moss, pinguiculas, baptisias, aristolochias, and supercalafralisticexpialidocious.
Thank you for introducing me to some different options.

Natural sunlight is much brighter than normal indoor lighting. I try to stay away from inadvertently using bulbs that add blue light. Ray has written that blue light is damaging. It may not be evident to others, but white LEDs are not on your short list. They may contain alot of 'blue' that is hidden from the eye.
led-light-wavelength.jpg

Last edited:

David PS

Have you seen this thread? Light on the chest might provide enough of a boost.

Peroxphos

i reset my sleep by staying up all day one day until i was exhausted and could sleep at night - took about a week to be back to regular schedule but the effects of cortisol take time- waking up at 4 am is usually due to cortisol so eating a snack with sugar, salt, gelatin - like milk honey salt gelatin when you get up can help and also before going to bed. And yes i would work by my lights all day- in and out as would have to go to court, meetings, etc. but in my office always with my lights and i now sleep with either one brooder or a couple of bulbs from my standing 5 prong lamp on and this has improved my sleep immeasurably as keeps cortisol lower during the night. Dr. Peat said to use the lights from waking to bedtime and if possible to have some light, even if just on your feet, shining on you while you sleep.

Thanks for sharing this, could you give more details on your night setup?

I imagine you sleep under sheets and blankets, so the idea is to have a few red lamps shining near your head or feet that stick out of the blanket?

Advocate2021

Thanks for sharing this, could you give more details on your night setup?

I imagine you sleep under sheets and blankets, so the idea is to have a few red lamps shining near your head or feet that stick out of the blanket?
ive actually just been sleeping with all 825 watts now- its like my heat too in winter. i sleep with a silk eye mask and even cap of late. and under covers. sure the light hits my face and hands and neck as i sleep though- seems to work fine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals