Why Should I Sleep?

bobbybobbob

heoretically why can't I keep the party going 24/7?
Am I missing something?

Experiment is the true basis of knowledge. I see no reason not to try.

Sounds retarded to me, but you could surprise us all.

In reality you're just going to fall asleep for nine hours after day three.

OP
Dopamine

Dopamine

Experiment is the true basis of knowledge. I see no reason not to try.

Sounds retarded to me, but you could surprise us all.

In reality you're just going to fall asleep for nine hours after day three.

I was kidding. I was just trying to generate discussion on the role of sleep

Suikerbuik

Unaware of the study and the data, but recently there was a news article saying:

leading theory suggests that the core function of sleep is "neuronal homeostasis," the processes whereby neurons self-tune their excitability to restore balanced activity to brain circuits.
the Turrigiano lab showed that when the activity of neurons is suppressed in rats, homeostatic rebalancing doesn't occur during sleep; instead, it happened exclusively when animals were awake and active.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160330174432.htm

We need sleep to remove the metabolic waste that builds up in the brain from being awake. The brain can only do this with rem sleep. There are studies where they woke up the subjects every time right before they went into rem. They let them sleep in all other stages but woke them up right at rem and they went crazy.

You can try and be like this guy but I bet you won't last as long: UK man stays awake for 11 days, no stimulants.

michael94

Honestly if you could go without sleep it would have been done before. "Peating" is not exactly some world shattering phenomenon that supersedes all human behavioral/eating patterns in the past.

DaveFoster

It's an interesting concept. You have to take into context the evolutionary environment; while sleep may not be absolutely necessary given some circumstances (high energy abundance at all points in time,) we can understand the process as a way of bet hedging against the nighttime stress of energy scarcity.

There's no reason to believe the system can run at all, much less optimally with full energy availability at all times in the absence of sleep, as such an environment never has existed before present. In other words, a regenerative system can exist for the waking hours, but it probably does not exist in any living mammal on earth.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals