Alcohol And Marijuana Through The Peat Prism

Combie

chris said:
I also got no reaction from another party drug, why do I not react to anything lol
Maybe youre just hardcore, a real heavyweight! Either that or you should have asked for your money back! :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Combie, thank you for sharing. I have a "friend" who quit after 15 years and was not on Peat. It was incredibly hard for that person but they to also realized what you realized.... It was causing a lot of damage to many aspects of thier life.

Keep at it! The sleep gets better!

Combie

God i hope so Charlie. In the past it was a predictable 4 days of insomnia, then OK. Havent smoked in 10 days-ish and averaging about 4 hours anight. I feel really good though despite this. I would feel totally awesome if i could get some sleep.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Man dont give up. You know how bad that stuff does to you especially after chronic use, heck, look how it messes up you trying to sleep now. The sleep gets sooooooooo much better but it definitely takes some time. Its a fight you have to decide that you are going to win before you even start. You can do it. When those awesome nights of sleep start happening you will so love yourself for going through this little bit of uncomfort to get there. It is so worth it. The sleep is so much more fulfilling when not smoking.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are very welcome. :thumbup:

If you need to chat with anyone just let me know.

Combie

kiran said:
Combie said:
Just to add to that. Since religiously taking pregnenolone and thyroid, my desire to smoke has evaporated. Even to the point of turning a joint down when offered. Thats amazing to me, because unless i was in a period of enforced abstinence, when i refused through gritted teeth, i have never ever turned a smoke down. I wrote that post 5 weeks ago and it seems like a different person wrote it.

I would dearly love to understand the mechanism behind this.

Cigarettes stimulate the thyroid, if you have "sub-clinical hypothyroidism", nicotine is also a stimulant. You were probably self-medicating with cigarettes, and no longer feel the need for it.

"Among patients with subclinical hypothyroidism, those who smoke have higher serum thyrotropin concentrations, a higher serum ratio of tri-iodothyronine to free thyroxine..."

http://eje-online.org/content/138/4/368.long
Missed this one. Excellent post!

BingDing

kiran said:
Combie said:
Just to add to that. Since religiously taking pregnenolone and thyroid, my desire to smoke has evaporated. Even to the point of turning a joint down when offered. Thats amazing to me, because unless i was in a period of enforced abstinence, when i refused through gritted teeth, i have never ever turned a smoke down. I wrote that post 5 weeks ago and it seems like a different person wrote it.

Cigarettes stimulate the thyroid, if you have "sub-clinical hypothyroidism", nicotine is also a stimulant. You were probably self-medicating with cigarettes, and no longer feel the need for it.

"Among patients with subclinical hypothyroidism, those who smoke have higher serum thyrotropin concentrations, a higher serum ratio of tri-iodothyronine to free thyroxine..."

http://eje-online.org/content/138/4/368.long

Wow. Kiran and Combie both, thanks!! I started smoking cigs again after quitting for 12 years. It was hard to quit the first time and it's just a b**** to quit now. One reason I'm here is my strategy is to get so healthy in all other respects that the stupidity of smoking is intolerable. If correcting a physiological imbalance can make it easier, that's huge.

I've been debating about supplementing with thyroid. By the temperature, heart rate, and cold hands and feet tests, I'm OK, and I didn't want to do it just because everyone else was, LOL. But I think it's worth a closer look. Need to look into L tyrosine, too.

All the best, Combie.

Combie

Hey thanks man, and all the best to you too.

Explore small doses of L-Tyrosine on an empty stomach to help with nicotine withdrawal. Its amazing stuff, its the precursor to dopamine, which is what nicotine stimulates. Less is more though generally, as its also the precursor to adrenaline. I have two failed driving tests i can directly attribute to taking too much! So a low stress environment is key, but thats true for any quit attempt i think.

Since that post i have gone back to cigarettes (no cannabis though, and no desire to either), because seems my body wasnt ready to give nicotine up so easily without help. Ive quit successfully many times using tyrosine, but the stress, anxiety etc always caled me back to smoking, so staying stopped has been difficult. You should only need to use it for a week max.

Jan 2nd im off these things for good!

Quit buddies?? :)

Ray-Z

Combie said:
narouz said:
Combie said:

"...my desire to smoke has evaporated."

Combie: are you talking cigarettes or pot?

Was taking both, now neither.

First off, congratulations, Combie!

Your observations about losing interest in pot & tobacco while Peating parallel mine about alcohol. I never felt addicted, but drank very heavily while on low-carb and low-carb paleo diets. Perhaps I was subconsciously trying to relieve some of the effects of all those stress hormones. Unfortunately, I quickly developed a big tolerance for alcohol, and rarely got very drunk, so I was just drinking a lot to little effect (besides liver damage).

Now, I still have bottles of booze all around me, and have barely touched the stuff in months.

Thank you, Ray Peat! :D

BingDing

According to "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Eugene Shippen, MD and William Fryer, alcohol inhibits the P450 system of the liver and thus inhibits the clearing of estrogen, and decreases zinc, which allows an increase in aromatase which converts testosterone to estrogen. They also write "Heavy alcohol intake also causes a dramatic rise in estrogen. Women, for instance, can increase their circulating estrogen levels threefold after just one drink. The rise in men is less dramatic but very significant nonetheless". See chapter 5. The illogical link between "heavy alchohol intake" and "one drink" should be noted with caution, IMO.

They don't cite any particular studies in support of their assertions. Would be interesting to hear Ray Peat's thoughts.

The book has some corny writing but seems marginally solid if any men are researching andropause. They at least recognize the presence of estrogen in men. Would also be interesting to hear Peat's thoughts about testosterone and aging/stress.

Edit: does anyone have a link to any of Ray Peat's thoughts about testosterone?

Combie

Ray-Z said:
Combie said:
narouz said:
Combie said:

"...my desire to smoke has evaporated."

Combie: are you talking cigarettes or pot?

Was taking both, now neither.

First off, congratulations, Combie!

Your observations about losing interest in pot & tobacco while Peating parallel mine about alcohol. I never felt addicted, but drank very heavily while on low-carb and low-carb paleo diets. Perhaps I was subconsciously trying to relieve some of the effects of all those stress hormones. Unfortunately, I quickly developed a big tolerance for alcohol, and rarely got very drunk, so I was just drinking a lot to little effect (besides liver damage).

Now, I still have bottles of booze all around me, and have barely touched the stuff in months.

Thank you, Ray Peat! :D
Ray-Z that's awesome!! Alcohol is by far the worst addiction in terms of damage to your body. No doubts about that.
I think that loss of desire for booze is fairly easily explained when u consider that alcohol is essentially sugar. So replace that with real sugar and your desire for it should diminish.

Nicotine hits the dopamine reward system, which is not specific to nicotine, which I believe is why the addiction came back.

How pregnenolone has affected my endocannabinoid system is a mystery to me. But the effect was really noticeable as I literally went from smoking about 2-3g a day dependent on availability to just not being bothered almost overnight. That's power! And I've really not been bothered about it since, even during the few day I had no pregnenolone.

Ray-Z

Combie said:
Ray-Z that's awesome!! Alcohol is by far the worst addiction in terms of damage to your body. No doubts about that.
I think that loss of desire for booze is fairly easily explained when u consider that alcohol is essentially sugar. So replace that with real sugar and your desire for it should diminish.

Thanks, man. It's funny...I'd like to take some credit for the change, but it was truly effortless. :lol:

Combie said:
Nicotine hits the dopamine reward system, which is not specific to nicotine, which I believe is why the addiction came back.

How pregnenolone has affected my endocannabinoid system is a mystery to me. But the effect was really noticeable as I literally went from smoking about 2-3g a day dependent on availability to just not being bothered almost overnight. That's power! And I've really not been bothered about it since, even during the few day I had no pregnenolone.

Wow. Power, indeed.

Combie

Ray-Z said:
Thanks, man. It's funny...I'd like to take some credit for the change, but it was truly effortless. :lol:
Take ALL the credit Ray. You made the changes, and you reap the benefits. :D

burtlancast

There's outstanding evidence of cannabis ( in the form of essential oil; see Rick Simpson) being a near-miraculous substance in a great deal of degenerative diseases, cancer being the most notable.

Parkinson, depression, MS, Crohn's, Seizures, respond spectacularly to cannabis essential oil.

cliff

burtlancast said:
There's outstanding evidence of cannabis ( in the form of essential oil; see Rick Simpson) being a near-miraculous substance in a great deal of degenerative diseases, cancer being the most notable.

Parkinson, depression, MS, Crohn's, Seizures, respond spectacularly to cannabis essential oil.

I think this has to do with thc being a isomer of progesterone, possibly ingesting large amounts of the oil mimics taking progesterone.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Now that's interesting. Thanks Cliff!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals