Alcohol And Marijuana Through The Peat Prism

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am wondering the same thing. I have not heard of what Ray said those "protective" properties were.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I haven't been able to find anything on marijuana from Peat except in the email depository where he advises that if it is used it should be taken orally and not smoked. I'm interested in this because there are many people close to me that use marijuana. There is a book called Medical Nemesis by Ivan Illich that briefly mentions it as a valuable substance in some traditional healing cultures like the Brahmins. I suppose it could be valuable if it kept one away from even more dangerous medical interventions. So maybe the value is in the fact that it can be a lesser evil and keep a person's health in their own hands as opposed to seeking sometimes dangerous medical care.

Stilgar

burtlancast said:
Well, that's very interesting.
THC seems to have similar effects on libido as progesterone .

The primary reason I could never give up THC is for this point alone.
The dimensions and complexities of sex are heightened and extraordinary on THC compared with sober sex. I am more focused on the act itself and rarely think about other things. I am more patient, generous etc etc. I get lost in the moment. I have been with my partner for 9 years and he would concur that marijuana makes us feel like we have just met every time, with all the benefits that come from having not. it is pretty beautiful.

That aside, it is also a gift to never feel so anxious about something that i can't sleep, because of marijuana.

I understand that for some it is addictive and destructive. But that doesn't change its potential, especially if it were more legal so that smoking it wasn't the go-to.

Interestingly, I have found that marijuana is often perceived as unpleasant when you are hypoglycaemic, high adrenaline and low thyroid. The worst thing you can do is to smoke to get you out of that state, because it will only make you anxious, physiologically (albeit temporarily) ill and wacked out. It is always the best when i am well slept, happy and physically ok.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Several years ago I read a book called Botany of Desire that devoted an entire chapter to cannabis. As a person who grew up around it in the home, but never personally liked it myself, it gave me a better understanding of the plant and it's appeal. I know you definitely can't overdose on it like alcohol and most street drugs and narcotics so in that respect it is safer than many substances. I always hated seeing people intubated in the ER just because they were stoned. Obviously those physicians needed to brush up on their toxicology! It does something for some people or it wouldn't be so widely popular. I'm just glad I never developed the habit because of the estrogenic properties. My weakness was always nicotine. Oh to be human.

burtlancast

Blossom said:
Several years ago I read a book called Botany of Desire that devoted an entire chapter to cannabis. As a person who grew up around it in the home, but never personally liked it myself, it gave me a better understanding of the plant and it's appeal. I know you definitely can't overdose on it like alcohol and most street drugs and narcotics so in that respect it is safer than many substances. I always hated seeing people intubated in the ER just because they were stoned. Obviously those physicians needed to brush up on their toxicology! It does something for some people or it wouldn't be so widely popular. I'm just glad I never developed the habit because of the estrogenic properties. My weakness was always nicotine. Oh to be human.

Have you heard about Rick Simpson and his cannabis oil ?

The stuff is incredible as far as treating many diseases.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
burtlancast said:
Have you heard about Rick Simpson and his cannabis oil ?

The stuff is incredible as far as treating many diseases.
I know a friend that made some up in the high desert out in California, legally. He didn't make it for cancer, he just made it for an experiment. But yeh I have been aware of Rick Simpson for many years.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I hadn't heard of him. My daughter's college roommate was an herbalist who made a tincture with it using vodka. I often thought that might be helpful for people trying to stop smoking it, at least no more harm to the lungs would occur.

J

j.

Blossom said:
I suppose it could be valuable if it kept one away from even more dangerous medical interventions.

Just by not going to the doctor you decrease the likelihood of getting X-rays.

burtlancast

Blossom said:
I hadn't heard of him. My daughter's college roommate was an herbalist who made a tincture with it using vodka. I often thought that might be helpful for people trying to stop smoking it, at least no more harm to the lungs would occur.

It's a huge can of worms.
It certainly made my head spin 3 times on it's axis.

For example, research actually shows people smoking cannabis joints are LESS LIKELY to get lung cancer than people who have never smoked anything in their life.

You can use google video, and you will see parkinson people stopping shaking in a matter of 3 minutes in the film.

All sorts of desperate advanced cancers in remission.

People suffering from involuntary , uncoordinated mouvements, under control.

Shona Banda, with advanced Crohn disease, given dead by modern medecine after years of conventional treatment, in total remission.

Diabetics in remission.

All kind of stuff. Incredible.

I'm going to create a separate thread to post all related videos; anybody feel free to add to it.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3391

Blossom

Forum Supporter
My husband has just slightly impaired lung function from smoking it(marijuana)daily for about 15 years. At least that's what he attributes it to, who really knows. He never touched a tobacco cigarette. I on the other hand had used tobacco in cigarette form for nearly 30 years and my lung function checked as perfect. That doesn't mean I think people should smoke but it does show that there are many things going on that contribute to health in general. I was pretty bad off but my lungs were seemingly perfect. I quit anyway because I felt it was just an additional burden on my system and I'm happy I did. I've rarely met a person with so called lung disease that could be pinpointed as caused by marijuana. I've seen people who used both marijuana and tobacco, that probably had other issues, and they had severe breathing impairment. I'm certain progesterone is protective and Peat has written about this, in fact it was once used as a treatment for emphysema. There's no money in that for the pharmaceutical companies though. Just like if a person treated themself with cannabis, whether or not I would use it is not the point, it would take away from the medical authorities monopoly on heath and that's the real issue.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:hattip animal

Sugar or Pot—Which Is More Dangerous?
A recent study shows that more Americans now believe that weed is the lesser of two evils. The Hart Research Associates polled 1,000 adults, asking them which substance they thought caused the most harm to a person’s health: tobacco, alcohol, sugar, or marijuana.
http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/03 ... foodinc-fb

Mittir

@Charlie
I can imagine a scenario where sugar is lumped with other illegal drugs.
Cartels will be trafficking sugar and like most drugs ,sugar will have 100
different slang terms- white angel, angel crystal etc. Sugar addicts will
be roaming around the streets looking for "sugar dealers".

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh man. :(

keep-calm-and-love-sugar-18.png

J

j.

The title of that sugar vs. weed poll doesn't actually reflect the poll well. People were asked which from a group of substances is more dangerous, not to say which of two substances is more dangerous. Saying that people think weed is more dangerous than sugar is not warranted by the data.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's ironic that my pharmocologist cousin just yesterday recommended I use vaporized marijuana for nausea and he's the same guy that gave me unsolicited dietary advice to avoid sugar! It's a mixed up world I tell ya! I still love him I just wouldn't necessarily take his advice.

DaveFoster

Of course marijuana is estrogenic. Stoners have as much drive as a Ford with one wheel.

"Let me think about this. We've eaten sugar for probably over 100,000 years, and we've smoked pot regularly for about 35. Yeah, I think we're adapted to smoke weed."

Stoner logic.

Last edited:

Maretch

I never tried marijuana before, and i think i'll never do it, despite any facts that it can influence positively somehow. I'm too scared to hear about it. Smoking is the only thing i can afford!

burtlancast

Of course marijuana is estrogenic.

THC and CBD (at moderate to high concentrations) and the others cannabinoids, by themselves, aren't estrogenic. That has been established countless times in scientific articles.

But the others components in cannabis extracts are estrogenic, while some are even anti-estrogenic!

If one manages to extract only the cannabinoids, like Rick Simpson did, and leave the others fractions behind, the product won't be estrogenic.

Marijuana: interaction with the estrogen receptor.
Crude marijuana extract competed with estradiol for binding to the estrogen receptor of rat uterine cytosol. Condensed marijuana smoke also competed with estradiol for its receptor. Pure delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol, however, did not interact with the estrogen receptor. Ten delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol metabolites also failed to compete with estradiol for its receptor. Of several other common cannabinoids tested, only cannabidiol showed any estrogen receptor binding. This was evident only at very high concentrations of cannabidiol. Apigenin, the aglycone of a flavinoid phytoestrogen found in cannabis, displayed high affinity for the estrogen receptor. To assess the biological significance of these receptor data, estrogen activity was measured in vivo with the uterine growth bioassay, using immature rats. Cannabis extract in large doses exhibited neither estrogenic nor antiestrogenic effects. Thus, although estrogen receptor binding activity was observed in crude marijuana extract, marijuana smoke condensate and several known components of cannabis, direct estrogenic activity of cannabis extract could not be demonstrated in vivo.
Marijuana: interaction with the estrogen receptor.

Antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate and cannabinoid compounds
The antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate (MSC) and three major cannab-inoids, i.e., Δ9-Metrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabinol (CBN), were evaluated usingin vitro bioassays,viz., the human breast cancer cell proliferation assay, the recombinant human estrogen receptor (ER) competitive binding assay, and the reporter gene assay. The inhibitory effects on estrogen were also examined using the ethoxyresorufin-O-deethylase (EROD) assay, the aromatase assay, and the 17β-estradiol (E2) metabolism assay. The results showed that MSC induced the antiestrogenic effectvia the ER-mediated pathway, while THC, CBD, and CBN did not have any antiestrogenic activity. This suggests that the combined effects of the marijuana smoke components are responsible for the antiestrogenicity of marijuana use.
Antiestrogenic effects of marijuana smoke condensate and cannabinoid compounds

Last edited:

LUH 3417

It's ironic that my pharmocologist cousin just yesterday recommended I use vaporized marijuana for nausea and he's the same guy that gave me unsolicited dietary advice to avoid sugar! It's a mixed up world I tell ya! I still love him I just wouldn't necessarily take his advice.
It's interesting though because in Ray Peat's most recent newsletter he lists drinking coffee or alcohol, smoking, and taking aspirin as protective to the substansia nigra in context of Parkinson's disease. So perhaps it's more complicated than calling something either estrogenic/adrenergic?

Greg says

Smoke is estrogenic. I think getting high creates a stress response and surge of adrenaline, I've recently quit smoking marijuana pretty much all together for this reason.

If you do it using a vaporizer or ingesting it orally is probably your best bet.
Have you still quit weed Cliff?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals