Big disappointment that Dr. Peat didn’t live longer — I wish I didn’t feel this way

Honestly, I can understand where (tca300) is coming from. Seems like some are idolising Peat to the extreme, instead of just appreciating who he was and what he contributed to society.

He was a fellow human being like we all are. People die every day. Why are some acting like they’ll never move on from it? We didn’t even know him for crying out loud. Just from what he wrote, and interviews. Still no one knew him personally except maybe Danny Roddy.

aniciete

Honestly, I can understand where (tca300) is coming from. Seems like some are idolising Peat to the extreme, instead of just appreciating who he was and what he contributed to society.

He was a fellow human being like we all are. People die every day. Why are some acting like they’ll never move on from it? We didn’t even know him for crying out loud. Just from what he wrote, and interviews. Still no one knew him personally except maybe Danny Roddy.
Great, I’m glad you understand how he feels. But, there is a whole thread with 28 pages of people appreciating and sharing personal testimonials of how Peat helped them. The OP here shared how he felt and raised the question “does anybody else feel this way?”. You can simply reply to this question or simply choose not to engage. Do you honestly think the OP was the only person feeling this way? This is a forum for open discussion and sometimes “controversial” topics arise. Don’t mix up the premise of this thread and some of the individual posts you may have taken offense to.
I’m not even gonna comment on this because you know exactly why some are “acting” this way. He wasn’t some “random” person.

B

Blaze

Yes, sad but I think it was more of an overall thing. tca was not one to react to an individual thread. imo
@tca300 leaving is very sad, many posts here on the Ray Peat forum offer great advice from kind individuals who are gifted thinkers who , having learned via their own suffering, apply the science they learned combined with their unselfish desire to help others also escape what they are unfortunately suffering, whenever possible.

In contrast, we seem to also have posts that do the opposite, advice that even borders on lunacy and responses to others that are just completely devoid of love and kindness, even intentionally antagonizing and hating on others. It is a tough frustrating thing indeed and does not create a happy ideal environment in which to discuss the science.

A Yin and Yang thing. A lot of opposing ideas and personalities coexisting here. As it must, this is a reality that is impossible to avoid or hide from. No different than that which exists in the world as a whole. Hopefully tca300 will consider signing up again and participating in spite of the randomness of our ideas and personalities here. If you are listening tca300, please return.

Last edited by a moderator:

Immanency

@Blaze hello, tca300 will be scrolling the forum frequently enough and potentially comment, he probably did not have the energy to tolerate the comments he dislike these past days, therefore he wrote what he wrote

Great, I’m glad you understand how he feels. But, there is a whole thread with 28 pages of people appreciating and sharing personal testimonials of how Peat helped them. The OP here shared how he felt and raised the question “does anybody else feel this way?”. You can simply reply to this question or simply choose not to engage. Do you honestly think the OP was the only person feeling this way? This is a forum for open discussion and sometimes “controversial” topics arise. Don’t mix up the premise of this thread and some of the individual posts you may have taken offense to.

I’m not even gonna comment on this because you know exactly why some are “acting” this way. He wasn’t some “random” person.
I said I can understand where (Tca300) is coming from. Sorry you have a problem with that. It’s my opinion.

It’s not about people saying Peat helped them. I get that. I appreciate Peat for certain things.

It’s the idolisation of him that makes me roll my eyes.

And I‘m entitled to my opinion whether you agree or don’t agree.

moa

Yeah, right, you wish.
Ray Peat and death just don't go together. The greatest biochemist/physiologist of our time ....died (from old age of 86)? It is just as nonsense as it sounds.
you must be brainwashed by some religious fanatics or by scientism. All hail vaccines!
It is plausible that he died but all the odds are against it.

All you have to do to live to 86 is to not smoke and to not overuse alcohol...don't even bother about PUFA

It's too early for him to die of old age i think. He was still very involved in his work and passionate about life.

we don't know actually what happened, that's quite sad news. but now his ideas will be known by me people as time goes on, and thinks will not stop, me research will be done.

this is not Ray Peat s forum. this is a form inspired by his research. and things will not stop, people who leave the forum will come back if they are really interested in real scientific research.

It's too early for him to die of old age i think. He was still very involved in his work and passionate about life.

we don't know actually what happened, that's quite sad news. but now his ideas will be known by me people as time goes on, and thinks will not stop, me research will be done.

this is not Ray Peat s forum. this is a form inspired by his research. and things will not stop, people who leave the forum will come back if they are really interested in real scientific research.
Right. It‘s not and it never was Ray Peat’s forum. It is a forum that allows a multiplicity of discussions on a multiplicity of topics. And as Ray Peat was in favor of free speak speech and free thought, it honors his ideas and concepts. It also gives the forum an opportunity to agree and disagree with things he wrote about.

You remind me of the NWO.

Santosh

I feel devastated about his death and feel bad for Katherine. But I also am very disappointed. He lived an ordinary lifespan, not a really long one.

And that really bothers me and gets me to think.

Do you feel this way too?

No, I don't feel this way.

Even if you found the elixir to eternity in terms of diet, it would imply having been on the diet since you were born for it to have maximum effects.

Factoring in the fact that Ray applied his own principles late in life, coupled with the fact he probably experimented with lots of detrimental compounds before finding the right ones, it is not surprising at all he died at this age.

yerrag

Well I guess overall the whole idea that you can map out all the insanely complicated hormonal relationships etc into a perfect set of doctrine to be followed doesn't seem realistic to me. I'm not saying abolish all labs and books but I'm saying people need to get in tune with their bodies more. I don't think life is a curse. I don't think anything of fundamental importance is hidden. You have the keys for figuring out what your organism needs in your environment for it to thrive, no one else.
What you say now I agree with but why would you call making sense of the complicated into a 'perfect doctrine' reductionist? It would be reductionist if it were like reducing an essay into one sentence, simply for brevity devoid of explaining the why and how.

You don't seem to have taken the effort to read his newsletters. You probably are just at the level of listening to his interviews at Herb Doctors and with Pat Timpone or Jodelle Fit. As you cannot appreciate him at the level where reading his newsletters does.

I can appreciate how much work he put to make those relationships that are complex into simpler explanations. Yet those newsletters on making our less trained minds understand the complexity are from what you call reductionist.

Do I need to give you a lecture on what constitutes reductionist and what is wholistic?

You probably are just at the level of
Lol. It's a competition is it? 🤓

Never claimed to be the biggest Ray fanboy. I'll gladly hand you the trophy if you want. 🏆

Do I need to give you a lecture on what constitutes reductionist and what is wholistic?
No thanks. I think the way Peat viewed the mechanisms that kick in to distribute energy between meals was a bit reductionistic. I see it more as a yin and yang thing where both feasting and fasting are important parts of the cycle. Yeah I kinda think Ray was scared of fasting, which is a powerful thing, but will make you face yourself in a deep way. To me the autophagy of fasting cannot be separated from vital shadow work. I don't think you should fast yourself to death, but you should look for the perfect balance of fasting and feasting.

yerrag

Lol. It's a competition is it? 🤓
Why do you see it that way? I don't.

No thanks
Of course.

Put a complicated puzzle set together and make it whole. And you call that reductionist.

Says the guy which can't put it together.

I think the way Peat viewed the mechanisms that kick in to distribute energy between meals was a bit reductionistic. I see it more as a yin and yang thing where both feasting and fasting are important parts of the cycle. Yeah I kinda think Ray was scared of fasting, which is a powerful thing, but will make you face yourself in a deep way. To me the autophagy of fasting cannot be separated from vital shadow work. I don't think you should fast yourself to death, but you should look for the perfect balance of fasting and feasting.
Thanks for rebutting Peat with a Yin and Yang response.

Reductionist? You bet.

@yerrag Hey hey don't mess with the good ol' Yin & Yang!

I've experimented A LOT A LOT with different stuff and it's clear to me intermittent fasting is vital for my well-being.

But you do you. Thanks for the attitude jerk.

andrewlee224

I agree with @Gânico and @damngoodcoffee and I'm surprised there's a sudden reversal in opinions of the majority, stating that somehow human lifespan is fixed and limited.. that's against Peat's thinking (which is fine, everyone can have an own opinion) and against some evidence ("Studies[1] in the biodemography of human longevity indicate a late-life mortality deceleration law: that death rates level off at advanced ages to a late-life mortality plateau. This implies that there is no fixed upper limit to human longevity, or fixed maximum human lifespan.").

Said that, there are a couple of things that are uncertain:
- Ray may have been more interested in research about aging, than diligently following his conclusions to expand his own lifespan. Of course he may have more or less followed the main principles of his teaching, but there are tens if not hundreds of beneficial substances he spoke about. I doubt he systematically incorporated most of them, or used supplements like Haidut's, etc.
- There is randomness involved. Sometimes a seemingly healthy person dies for not entirely known reasons. That does not mean that his systematic approach to health/lifespan is wrong.

I have successfully followed Peat's recommendations and elevated my health after years of following more 'mainstream' advice. One thing that I got from Peat is that energy is good, and I'm fairly sure about is that in principle if you give a system/organism enough energy (and for the first time in history we are seemingly able to deliver arbitrary large quantities of energy in form of food/supplements/etc. with new ones being developed) then why shouldn't it be able to regenerate/rejuvenate itself? To me it's unreasonable to expect otherwise, i.e. aging itself seems counterintuitive.

Jessie

Personally, I'm amazed Ray lived as long as he did. If anyone followed his interviews over the years, you'd know he didn't exactly come from a background of picture perfect health.

All we have to do is learn how to ride the bike, Ray actually had to invent the bicycle. He leaned heavily on the works of others, but a lot of it was just trial and error, and experimenting on himself. Like that time he said he took a couple grams (not milligrams, grams) of pregnenolone, lol.

Someone like Danny's lifespan will be a true estimate of Peat's work in bioenergetics. Because Danny seems to follow his ideas not only closely, but religiously so. I won't say he's the best looking person I've ever seen, but Danny does look unordinarily youthful to be in his 30s. He looks more like late 20s.

He'd probably look even better if he lifted weights and put on some muscle. Wouldn't need much either, about 5-7 pounds of lean mass.

FitnessMike

Personally, I'm amazed Ray lived as long as he did. If anyone followed his interviews over the years, you'd know he didn't exactly come from a background of picture perfect health.

All we have to do is learn how to ride the bike, Ray actually had to invent the bicycle. He leaned heavily on the works of others, but a lot of it was just trial and error, and experimenting on himself. Like that time he said he took a couple grams (not milligrams, grams) of pregnenolone, lol.

Someone like Danny's lifespan will be a true estimate of Peat's work in bioenergetics. Because Danny seems to follow his ideas not only closely, but religiously so. I won't say he's the best looking person I've ever seen, but Danny does look unordinarily youthful to be in his 30s. He looks more like late 20s.

He'd probably look even better if he lifted weights and put on some muscle. Wouldn't need much either, about 5-7 pounds of lean mass.
same with Hans, this guys face look so youthful, looks very healthy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals