Big disappointment that Dr. Peat didn’t live longer — I wish I didn’t feel this way

Limon9

Personally, I'm amazed Ray lived as long as he did. If anyone followed his interviews over the years, you'd know he didn't exactly come from a background of picture perfect health.

All we have to do is learn how to ride the bike, Ray actually had to invent the bicycle. He leaned heavily on the works of others, but a lot of it was just trial and error, and experimenting on himself. Like that time he said he took a couple grams (not milligrams, grams) of pregnenolone, lol.

Someone like Danny's lifespan will be a true estimate of Peat's work in bioenergetics. Because Danny seems to follow his ideas not only closely, but religiously so. I won't say he's the best looking person I've ever seen, but Danny does look unordinarily youthful to be in his 30s. He looks more like late 20s.

He'd probably look even better if he lifted weights and put on some muscle. Wouldn't need much either, about 5-7 pounds of lean mass.
Crazy stuff. To my knowledge, Dr. Peat used a thyroid supplement from his 30s until his passing, yet did not make major alterations to his diet until around middle-age. I think it's a testimony to adaptation. But I don't think he ever wanted people to simply "ride a bike" he built for them - it's violently contrary to his principles of curiosity and exploration. Are you sure you listened to those interviews?

Jessie

Crazy stuff. To my knowledge, Dr. Peat used a thyroid supplement from his 30s until his passing, yet did not make major alterations to his diet until around middle-age. I think it's a testimony to adaptation. But I don't think he ever wanted people to simply "ride a bike" he built for them - it's violently contrary to his principles of curiosity and exploration. Are you sure you listened to those interviews?
It was a figure of speech, lmao. No one would be here on this forum right now if it wasn't for Ray. That's what I meant.

Limon9

It was a figure of speech, lmao. No one would be here on this forum right now if it wasn't for Ray. That's what I meant.
This Forum! Great:
Now, does this quote count? Maybe it's the stick in the wheel. Dr. Peat built on others' work: Lysenko, Koch, Szent-Gyorgyi, Ling. Others will now have to build on his. We're all riding and building at the same time.

Jessie

This Forum! Great:

Now, does this quote count? Maybe it's the stick in the wheel. Dr. Peat built on others' work: Lysenko, Koch, Szent-Gyorgyi, Ling. Others will now have to build on his. We're all riding and building at the same time.
Sure, I rarely use this forum at all anymore. Among many things, the political direction of this place is quite dreadful. Still doesn't change the fact this place exists because of Ray Peat, and, consequently, has brought much more people to his work than otherwise would've discovered it. Check the name of the url in your address bar.

Ritchie

Have there been any updates at all about the cause of death? I'm aware that he had a stroke, however I wonder if there is any more information than that.. Was he suffering from anything prior?

Momma

Have there been any updates at all about the cause of death? I'm aware that he had a stroke, however I wonder if there is any more information than that.. Was he suffering from anything prior?
Hi. I joined the forum post death. Where was it or who confirmed Dr Peat had a stroke?

Momma

AFAIK it has not been confirmed that he had a stroke.
Thank you. His cause of death doesn’t matter to me honestly. It was him that mattered, and how he lived his life.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you. His cause of death doesn’t matter to me honestly. It was him that mattered, and how he lived his life.
Yes, I feel the same. I’m so grateful for his influence and example.

mamakitty

Personally, I'm amazed Ray lived as long as he did. If anyone followed his interviews over the years, you'd know he didn't exactly come from a background of picture perfect health.

All we have to do is learn how to ride the bike, Ray actually had to invent the bicycle. He leaned heavily on the works of others, but a lot of it was just trial and error, and experimenting on himself. Like that time he said he took a couple grams (not milligrams, grams) of pregnenolone, lol.

Someone like Danny's lifespan will be a true estimate of Peat's work in bioenergetics. Because Danny seems to follow his ideas not only closely, but religiously so. I won't say he's the best looking person I've ever seen, but Danny does look unordinarily youthful to be in his 30s. He looks more like late 20s.

He'd probably look even better if he lifted weights and put on some muscle. Wouldn't need much either, about 5-7 pounds of lean mass.
Danny doesn’t look extraordinarily young tho, Hans, and that other guy on Danny’s other podcast also look younger than they are (despite having kids). Kyle mamounis also looks like a late 20’s guy. I, myself, look very young to the point people don’t believe my age when told. As does my brother. Some people just look younger, nothing to do with diet. However, lifestyle may impact. Having a single life with no responsibilities in a semi arrested development way is going to make you look younger. People in the olden days looked way older than their years because their lives were tough. Either way, no matter how young one looks, they all meet their ceiling eventually. Leonardo dicaprio used to look very young but looks like a gross middle aged man now.

Ritchie

Hi. I joined the forum post death. Where was it or who confirmed Dr Peat had a stroke?
Patrick Timpone discussed it on his tribute to Peat podcast show after Peats death. Timpone worked extensively with Peat over the years and conducted countless interviews with him. He stated that it was confirmed that he died from a stroke.

GreekDemiGod

Patrick Timpone discussed it on his tribute to Peat podcast show after Peats death. Timpone worked extensively with Peat over the years and conducted countless interviews with him. He stated that it was confirmed that he died from a stroke.
Could Saturated Fats have been the cause?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you.

Jessie

Could Saturated Fats have been the cause?
I've wondered this myself. I've long suspected Peat and, by extension, most other people in bioenergetics, are a little to pro-saturated fat.

It is true saturated fat won't cause electron leakage in the energy cycle, but just because it's not prone to lipid peroxidation doesn't mean it's not causing oxidative stress elsewhere.

For example, there's been animal studies that show animal fats are much more potent at pulling endotoxins into the bloodstream than vegetable oils. This would cause systemic inflammation, and activate the immune system, thus give a very plausible theory as to why some people's serum cholesterol shoots up on diets high in saturated fat.

Of course it would be haphazardly foolish for us to blame a particular foodstuff on the death of Ray when we can't even be sure what he died from.

Did someone speak to his family? Like, I'm not just going to take for granted he died from a stroke off internet buzz. Secondly, there's several different types of strokes, and if he hemorrhage it probably had nothing to do with narrowing of the arteries. Which seems likely when we're talking about a fatal stroke.

facesavant

I thought it was the elephant in the room too but without a cause of watch it’s hard to tell. The thing also to consider is he started peating pretty late, and who knows how stressful his life was and maybe he couldn’t overcome that. My theory that goes against the “elephant in the room” is he may have been victim of spike protein shedding. It’s the only new health phenomenon even his work would struggle against and would also result in a sudden death.
I considered the shedding too. I think he mentioned not taking supplements regularly either. We really need to understand the true cause of death. It's also possible it might be too much of a let down for us to know tho. Just my two bits.

Ritchie

Has anyone heard anything else about the lead up to Peat’s death, and what was determined to have caused it? The radio silence on this is a little peculiar..

LucyL

I feel devastated about his death and feel bad for Katherine. But I also am very disappointed. He lived an ordinary lifespan, not a really long one.

And that really bothers me and gets me to think.

Do you feel this way too?
It sucks. My interpretation of "it sucks" is that I was hoping he had the solutions to our (my) health problems, and his passing set in a wee bit of panic, the "i'm really on my own now" kind. And following the principles of his work is just as much a matter of faith as following anybody or any mainstream medicine principles.

The problem with all health gurus is that they are the ultimate guinea pig for their ideas. And n=1 never instills the confidence we want.

Nontheless I stick to my belief that he was on the right path. And even if it's not a perfect path, it is far more sensible, gentle and easy to bear than mainstream butchers, so I choose to follow it.

We want to be convinced that we're right, that it's not just a "belief", that we are justified in preaching our rightness to the rest of the world. But despite the necessity of belief, medicine/health isn't a religion and there is no medical dogma so solid that such conviction is warranted. Mainstream medicine of course thinks differently and their continued attempt to push their dogmas onto us, in part is what gives rise to our disappointment in the experiment that was Ray Peat's life ending abruptly.

So we have to remember that the Peat Model is self-experimentation, and his life was just the beginning. Our continued experiments may well lead to our own greatly extended lifespans, bringing confidence to our dogmas. Or not - and this I think is really why so many of us our here. Even if our experimentations fail, we want to do life our way. Our continued coalescence around Peat's life work is the ultimate basic cry of human nature, for freedom.

LucyL

do you worry about the radiation from Fukushima being on the west coast? i often wonder about the radioactive contamination in produce that i consume from California
Some radioactive contamination was picked up in food supplies in the midwest in the years immediately following Fukishima. I don't know that a lot of the long-lasting stuff would still be coming in but it would be a lot of fun to test stuff, if you could afford to.

Warrior

And following the principles of his work is just as much a matter of faith as following anybody or any mainstream medicine principles.

Hopefully more long term Peatarians will contribute their testimony to this thread where I've asked for their insight:

Going purely from the optics it doesn't look good for his cause that a forum full of adherents are quite quiet although there are a couple of glowing testimonies so far. If you're reading this then speak please.

One thing I do find a bit odd about this community is that RP was very much about reality testing and seeing what fits and keeping that while ejecting the rest. As far as I can tell (knowing very, very little about his style) it doesn't appear he codified anything. Nor did he speak in absolutes as he was seemingly documenting his insights, personal experiments and consultations but a lot of people think they've got the whole protocol sussed when the man himself never said he did as it was a work in progress.

Cults of personality are a bit like that though and that itself is weird because the same people that deride those who hand their life over to the govt/corporations/big pharma turn around and do the same to someone on the internet and find it insulting if someone questions their investment without a hint of irony.

Perceive. Think. Act.

One size doesn't fit all. Never has, never will. There are so many variables at play when it comes to your genetic inheritance, lifestyle choices up until this point, your energetics and so many other factors.

With that said I'm generally impressed with the level of intellect on display here but I find the groupthink blindspots intriguing as a new member with no dog in the fight and a open mind that likes to critically appraise, reality test and self experiment to see what happens.

In that sense RP left an immense legacy as his free thinking created the inspiration for this place and who knows what the future holds from the meeting of so many different minds, worldwide, that all share the same intent:

Incremental betterment.

Thats powerful.

LA

I feel devastated about his death and feel bad for Katherine. But I also am very disappointed. He lived an ordinary lifespan, not a really long one.

And that really bothers me and gets me to think.

Do you feel this way too?
I wasnt surprised - MANY people have told me that the weather in Oregon would kill them if they lived there. I could probably not even visit. Eureka and those areas in Northern California are only okay in August "for us" and now with this colder weather I would not even visit those places. Dr. Peat probably would have lived longer if he HAD moved to a warmer place in Mexico. or even So Cal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals