Bread, Why Avoid It?

James_001

It is almost impossible to find high quality bread like described in the OP where I live. Maybe if you're in a bigger city it would be easy to source, but hard in rural areas.

Luann

Starches are not equal
#this rawfoodsos.com/2010/09/02/the-china-study-wheat-and-heart-disease-oh-my/

What about Irish soda bread ,delicious and quick. Only 4 ingrediants, plain flour,bicarbonate of soda ,salt, and either,buttermilk ,sour milk, or yogurt. Takes only 40 minutes to bake .Even quicker cut into farls cook on griddle about 10 to 15 mins.I like to eat warm with lovely Irish butter. Mmmmmm.

Last edited:

Makrosky

Yeah. ;) Life without starch is boring. Also, when i don't eat starch i loose my appetite for sweet stuff. Makes it hard to eat enough carbs, and i hate to force the fruit, juice, coke etc. in my mouth.
This whole not eating starch thing just feels so... unnatural.. o_O

I LOVE bread and I'm not going to stop eating it unless I have a very serious condition. Wheat is another different thing. But today there's bread made of lots of grains. Enjoying foods is very important, this is not a self-mortification cult. If you like starch and it doesn't do you bad, then don't stop eating starch. Peat provides general guidelines, not stone-carved rules. There are not two people the same.

I'm not sure since my gut health is very fluctuating but I have found that boiling white rice with garlic and cloves (both potent natural antibiotic substances) and eating them with the rice, helps with the digestion, probably doing some antibiotic effect. It's just inexpensive and quick to add it to the boiling water. The colour and taste of the rice is not as good as normal but for me it's an insignificant price to pay. Again I'm not sure 100% of this but I think I have much less bloating.

Starches also need to be VERY WELL chewed, that reduces gut problems.

Some of the countries with higher life expectancy are heavy starch consumers (2nd, Spain, it's a heavy LEGUME consumer) so it shouldn't be that bad.

Last edited:

FredSonoma

I haven't eaten bread in 3+ years, but it still sounds ***** delicious to me, more delicious than potatoes, rice, or any other starch. Why is it so delicious if it could be so unhealthy?

Brian

I haven't eaten bread in 3+ years, but it still sounds ***** delicious to me, more delicious than potatoes, rice, or any other starch. Why is it so delicious if it could be so unhealthy?

High quality sourdough bread from a small bakery is not really a problem. It's a good source of glucose, digestible protein (the gluten has already been broken down a lot), and quite a few minerals. I've never had significant endotoxin issues from it even when my gut was messed up and couldn't tolerate rice, potatoes, or lower quality factory produced bread.

FredSonoma

High quality sourdough bread from a small bakery is not really a problem. It's a good source of glucose, digestible protein (the gluten has already been broken down a lot), and quite a few minerals. I've never had significant endotoxin issues from it even when my gut was messed up and couldn't tolerate rice, potatoes, or lower quality factory produced bread.

Wow okay awesome. Do you think it's possible that it's almost purely glucose (instead of starch) ? Because I can't tolerate rice / potatoes / starch, etc. but I definitely crave white bread big-time.

Brian

Wow okay awesome. Do you think it's possible that it's almost purely glucose (instead of starch) ? Because I can't tolerate rice / potatoes / starch, etc. but I definitely crave white bread big-time.

No it's starch, but it seems to be broken down from oral and pancreatic amylase better than other starches, maybe because its much drier and allows more direct contact with the enzymes.

Last edited:

bobbybobbob

There's a quality and consistency advantage to grains. I like and eat potatoes often but getting good ones is a bit of a crapshoot. I end up throwing out a lot after noticing some didn't digest well. Same with fruit. And with potatoes it's definitely noticeable whether or not I pressure cook them. All in all, potatoes are a hassle. Probably best to grow them yourself if you can.

Masa, wheat flour, and rice are gonna have way less variation, in terms of spoilage and other quality problems. There's just a lot less to go wrong.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a sourdough culture going and baking bread on the regular. Presently I live near a Le Pain Quotidien (american chain) bakery that has good sourdough at a reasonable price. I emailed them once to ask if they use iron enriched and brominated flour but got no response. I would assume so. I eat it often anyway. You just can't beat a sandwich for packed meals and convenience.

I used to make tortillas from time to time but that's really a huge pain in the ****. It's a lot easier to basically make a masa pancake. Make a masa batter with some butter or cream, water, baking powder, and egg and then pour out big pancakes on a teflon pan.

Last edited:
You probably can do comparable things with bakers yeast. Just use a small amount and the bread will digest and ferment slowly and will become very similar to sourdough bread.

Mountain

What about Irish soda bread ,delicious and quick. Only 4 ingrediants, plain flour,bicarbonate of soda ,salt, and either,buttermilk ,sour milk, or yogurt. Takes only 40 minutes to bake .Even quicker cut into farls cook on griddle about 10 to 15 mins.I like to eat warm with lovely Irish butter. Mmmmmm.

Neat, thanks for that info

I'm expert at bread. So further to what I was writing. I think bread flour contains a lot of toxic proteins but it also can be countered very easily.

When you wet flour, enzymes are activated that digest the proteins. These enzymes were in the cells that were ground out and freed up into the flour in the mill. They are not active until wet.

The action of the wheat cell's own enzymes is actually most of the advantages attributed to fermentation.

If you put a SMALL amount of baker's yeast in you will have the bread digest for 24 - 36 hours and it is transformed. I believe that bread made slowly this way is much safer and may account for the reason sourdough bread is better. So you don't need to culture sourdough although you can. You get the benefit out of, say, 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and letting it ferment for 24 hours, and you don't need to fuss with sourdough starters (which isn't difficult but it is a bit of a commitment.)

Alternatively, you can add the normal amount of yeast and refrigerate for a few days. Or adjust yeast and refrigeration times to get long slow digestion that creates good quality digestible bread (if you can tolerate it.)

I'm not sure that grains are doing me any good right now. But I'm still figuring it out.

tara

If you put a SMALL amount of baker's yeast in you will have the bread digest for 24 - 36 hours and it is transformed. I believe that bread made slowly this way is much safer and may account for the reason sourdough bread is better. So you don't need to culture sourdough although you can. You get the benefit out of, say, 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and letting it ferment for 24 hours, and you don't need to fuss with sourdough starters (which isn't difficult but it is a bit of a commitment.)
I've been doing something like this every now and then, though not quite so slow, since SuQ posted a recipe a year or two ago. 1/4 tsp yeast. In winter that takes about 24 hours to leaven; in summer more like 18. Maybe I'll try to make it even slower next time - less yeast or lower temp.
I really like the taste, but I'm not convinced that the rest of my system likes it. Many years ago, before removing most of the gluten from my diet, I used to make bread often from less refined grains. I like this a lot better. It's one of those things I sometimes eat because I can't resist it, despite suspecting it is not good for me. With butter and sometimes marmite or cucumber or tomato. I've lost my taste for cheap supermarket bread entirely, which, being raised on heavy wholegrain bread, I used to think was a treat.

Publix and kroger near me have in the frozen section "original baguettes from france". Imported from France, no gmo ingredients, no oils, and not fortified. They are really good.
I like berlin bakery products too but only find them at wholefoods.

jyb

I prefer to use flour (I avoid flours that have gluten, I am sure that there could be other nasties but I always prepare it by at least water soaking) as thin pancakes (not US style) rather than bread: it is faster to make (no need for an oven), just scoop up and fry whatever you need for your meal and put the fermented starch back in the fridge (I prepare a new batch weekly). From that point of view, it clearly beats rice, potatoes and bread (especially if you need to spend time thoroughly cooking your starches). But I'm always on the look out for new ideas to cook starches in a way that is convenient and safe.

Last edited:

tara

Hi, I leavened a batch without adding extra heat for the first 24 hrs, then it got a bit of indirect heat by being near a hot stove on and off for the next 12 hrs, so ~36 hrs leavening with 1/4 tsp yeast.
Any reason you can think of not to add a bit of calcium carbonate and/or magnesium carbonate to this mix, as a way to improve mineral balance?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals