How to overcome gluten sensitivity

Snicky

I’ve been off gluten for 12 years with now two trials of reintroducing, not fully successful. The reintroductions go mixed. Sometimes I feel fine, other times I get some symptoms like immediate burpiness, then my usual ones (listed below). I only try with bread and have also tried Khosan and other heirloom wheat, etc.. No obvious pattern.

I’m not celiac but I get these issues when I consume gluten (beyond a level of cross-contamination):
*inflamed esophagus
*brain fog/spacey/slow brain, fatigued
*headaches (maybe more than 24 hrs later, can be bad)
*stuffiness

I really believe I should be past this, with gut healthy, healed, etc.. I used to have histamine intolerance (gave me hives, bad allergy symptoms), and FODMAP issues… Those seem 90-95% gone. I don’t test sugar alcohols cuz I don’t want to eat them, and have been avoiding legumes, so if I eat them, I feel them. But I used to not be able to tolerate dates, leeks, shallots, etc. (fructans). I feel the gluten thing might be partly in my mind… (like a ‘track’ from Germanische Heilkunde). I’d prefer it be psychological and nit real, as I think it’d be easier to overcome.

Anyone have experience with conquering an intolerance, esp. gluten? I really want to get past this hurdle so I am not the annoying person with a dietary restriction. I also want to eat amazing bread now and again.

LucH

Anyone have experience with conquering an intolerance, esp. gluten? I really want to get past this hurdle
No possibility. memory of defense system. Some people have tried with a some bread (few) but the answer was differed.
Note that the intolerance to alpha-gliadine is for everybody but most people restore leaky gut during night.
There are good receipts for bread without wheat and only pseudo-cereals. I've personally succeeded in doing such a bread but it's not evident for most people.

akgrrrl

If you continue to ignore the pesticides, spectracides and 70yrs of purposeful genetic modifications of the food chain , you will perhaps continue to feel as though it is you who is needs to adapt or change.

OP
S

Snicky

No possibility. memory of defense system. Some people have tried with a some bread (few) but the answer was differed.
Note that the intolerance to alpha-gliadine is for everybody but most people restore leaky gut during night.
There are good receipts for bread without wheat and only pseudo-cereals. I've personally succeeded in doing such a bread but it's not evident for most people.
I’ve made breads, but they are nothing like a crusty baguette, fresh made foccaccia , pretzel roll, or pagnotta… and, frankly, many of the alternatives are no better: they’ve got other dubious grains, soy protein crap, gums, very processed. I travel a lot for work. Being able to eat normal bread without a gluten flu afterwards would be just awesome.

PopSocket

If you continue to ignore the pesticides, spectracides and 70yrs of purposeful genetic modifications of the food chain , you will perhaps continue to feel as though it is you who is needs to adapt or change.
^^ this.

OP
S

Snicky

And what is this suppose to mean? Forget about consuming gluten and wheat and everything? Because it’s all modified and contaminated? Is that not true for most food? And, does one not realize that it’s not the same everywhere?

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I’ve been off gluten for 12 years with now two trials of reintroducing, not fully successful. The reintroductions go mixed. Sometimes I feel fine, other times I get some symptoms like immediate burpiness, then my usual ones (listed below). I only try with bread and have also tried Khosan and other heirloom wheat, etc.. No obvious pattern.

I’m not celiac but I get these issues when I consume gluten (beyond a level of cross-contamination):
*inflamed esophagus
*stuffiness

I really believe I should be past this, with gut healthy, healed, etc.. I used to have histamine intolerance (gave me hives, bad allergy symptoms), and FODMAP issues… Those seem 90-95% gone. I don’t test sugar alcohols cuz I don’t want to eat them, and have been avoiding legumes, so if I eat them, I feel them. But I used to not be able to tolerate dates, leeks, shallots, etc. (fructans). I feel the gluten thing might be partly in my mind… (like a ‘track’ from Germanische Heilkunde). I’d prefer it be psychological and nit real, as I think it’d be easier to overcome.

Anyone have experience with conquering an intolerance, esp. gluten? I really want to get past this hurdle so I am not the annoying person with a dietary restriction. I also want to eat amazing bread now and again.
I am in the same boat. My arthritis mostly disappeared when I quit eating wheat and gluten 13 years ago. But like you, I wish I could eat chewy delicious bread. I used to make all the bread we ate. I have tried three times to eat wheat in the 13 years and I end up with some kind of intestinal pain and discomfort. I wish there was a gluten free substitute for a "crusty baguette" but I think the gluten is what makes it so good.

Mohraya

Hi ! That's very interesting. It means we should all avoid it ?

LucH

hat's very interesting. It means we should all avoid it ?
Let's say that all people should moderate cereals, and not only bread but specially wheat. For me,, it's once a day.
A mix from fruits, vegetables. Not always. Sometimes potato, rice (less problem). once or twice a week.
Allergy protein. Gluten-Cross-Reactors.jpg

avoine = oat.
Lait =milk
Maïs = corn
Blé = wheat (bread / pasta/ etc.)

Mohraya

Let's say that all people should moderate cereals, and not only bread but specially wheat. For me,, it's once a day.
A mix from fruits, vegetables. Not always. Sometimes potato, rice (less problem). once or twice a week.
View attachment 58387
avoine = oat.
Lait =milk
Maïs = corn
Thanks ! Are you eating it when you say once a say or is it just for cereals ? Have you seen a lot of benefits ?

LucH

1. Are you eating it when you say once a day or is it just for cereals ?
I try once a day for cereals.
E.g. I eat 2 fruits form y breakfast with a protein.
At midday rice or potato or pasta or fruits with meat (lamb, beef, small chicken, egg + collagen, duck, shrimp, white fish)
At night a mix with salad and fruits (apple, mango, red berries, grapes, ananas) + cheese (brie / gouda / goat).
Sometimes a smoothie with greens, mango, lemon juice, red berries, cashew and hemp or chia + half orange juice and half water + a lot of nutrients (Mg, PCa, collagen)
2. Have you seen a lot of benefits ?
You won't notice benefice if you digest well and have not problem with thyroid, if no inflammation. I've tried 2 years long without gluten. Not only bread. To shut a door (pain at backside). Not the cause. (See the book of jacqueline Lagacée if you want more details) (or my forum, in French, but I can't post a link here).
Make a search with Nestor345 + Seignalet (Nestor345 is my old pseudo) if you want more experiences from people.

Info:
Seignalet guidelines
Well, how could we summarize Seignalet in short? :
A diet free of gluten, casein and corn. Main guideline.
Better not cook above 110 °. Eat organic and local.
As far as oils is concerned (omega-3), we didn’t talk about EPA – DHA – GLA in nineties. only from whole food.
Not to take literally. Seignalet is not a nutritionist but an immunologist.
As far as vegetables are concerned, raw for enzymes but not at the beginning when your bowels are irritated. We’d better eat them steam-cooked and according to what you can tolerate. Adapt yourself.
As far as pseudo-cereals are concerned, they are admitted but moderately. I advise to limit them once a day, a small portion. Buckwheat and rice do contain antinutrients. Like all cereals.
Not good for endothelial cells. Cereals cause zonulin secretion. Zonulin increases intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Tight junctions are no longer operational (by people suffering from poor digestion).
As far as I’m concerned, I try to avoid cereal. I eat / ate rather paleolithic. Let’s say 80/20 because I’m not perfect ;)
NB: No longer paleolithic but a mix.

PopSocket

And what is this suppose to mean? Forget about consuming gluten and wheat and everything? Because it’s all modified and contaminated? Is that not true for most food? And, does one not realize that it’s not the same everywhere?
I don't mind someone else consuming gluten. Its their business what they do. I am done with trying to "fix" my "intolerance". It is a poison in my humble opinion even for those who seem to tolerate it pretty well. I suspect those that don't get inflamed by it are running on high cortisol.

pondering

I also must avoid the gluten. Sigh. I've heard though that US dwellers who go to Europe may not have any issues eating it there. Wondering if anyone has experience with this? I find myself fantasizing about taking such a trip just to eat bread...

maillol

If I was gluten intolerant I would:
Brace myself and try pure gluten - establish that it's actually the gluten and not some other component of wheat, especially if you live in a country where wheat is fortified.
Give blood to lower iron (reduce inflammation).
Do a round of Nystatin to kill any candida that might be feeding off the gluten.

Mohraya

I try once a day for cereals.
E.g. I eat 2 fruits form y breakfast with a protein.
At midday rice or potato or pasta or fruits with meat (lamb, beef, small chicken, egg + collagen, duck, shrimp, white fish)
At night a mix with salad and fruits (apple, mango, red berries, grapes, ananas) + cheese (brie / gouda / goat).
Sometimes a smoothie with greens, mango, lemon juice, red berries, cashew and hemp or chia + half orange juice and half water + a lot of nutrients (Mg, PCa, collagen)

You won't notice benefice if you digest well and have not problem with thyroid, if no inflammation. I've tried 2 years long without gluten. Not only bread. To shut a door (pain at backside). Not the cause. (See the book of jacqueline Lagacée if you want more details) (or my forum, in French, but I can't post a link here).
Make a search with Nestor345 + Seignalet (Nestor345 is my old pseudo) if you want more experiences from people.

Info:
Seignalet guidelines
Well, how could we summarize Seignalet in short? :
A diet free of gluten, casein and corn. Main guideline.
Better not cook above 110 °. Eat organic and local.
As far as oils is concerned (omega-3), we didn’t talk about EPA – DHA – GLA in nineties. only from whole food.
Not to take literally. Seignalet is not a nutritionist but an immunologist.
As far as vegetables are concerned, raw for enzymes but not at the beginning when your bowels are irritated. We’d better eat them steam-cooked and according to what you can tolerate. Adapt yourself.
As far as pseudo-cereals are concerned, they are admitted but moderately. I advise to limit them once a day, a small portion. Buckwheat and rice do contain antinutrients. Like all cereals.
Not good for endothelial cells. Cereals cause zonulin secretion. Zonulin increases intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Tight junctions are no longer operational (by people suffering from poor digestion).
As far as I’m concerned, I try to avoid cereal. I eat / ate rather paleolithic. Let’s say 80/20 because I’m not perfect ;)
NB: No longer paleolithic but a mix.
Thanks a lot i will check this out. That's very clear for me now.

lvysaur

View attachment 58387
avoine = oat.
Lait =milk
Maïs = corn
Blé = wheat (bread / pasta/ etc.)
Where did you find this graph?

If you have problems with wheat, you might want to try Asian noodles, especially freshly made ones. I eat Lanzhou La Mian with no problems. But bread and pasta give me problems.

74one

*inflamed esophagus
*stuffiness

After a store bought bread become basically inedible and gave me lots health related problems I learned to bake my own sourdough bread from organic wheat berries and flower - now I can eat bread, waffles and pancakes almost daily no problems

LucH

Where did you find this graph?
The paleo Mom – Gluten Cross-Reactivity – How your body can still think you’re eating gluten.
=> Food antigens.
If you have problems with wheat, you might want to try Asian noodles, especially freshly made ones. I eat Lanzhou La Mian with no problems. But bread and pasta give me problems.
It's not because you can tolerate some "Asian noodles" (or any other "freshly" sources of pasta), the problem in not there. Weak problem, OK for you and some other people. Because you're less sensitive and after all you recover during night. Any source of prolamine will have impact on tight junctions through zonulin. Zonulin opens tight junctions (permeability). Question of frequence and dose. Not everybody is equal. The impact is different. You simply don't notice it ...

Source:
Prolamins and glutelins in cereals and pseudo cereals. (=> Gliadin, zonulin and gut permeability)
Human Nutrition from the Gastroenterologist’s Perspective

Human Nutrition from the Gastroenterologist’s Perspective

Prolamins and agglutins constitutes the two main lectin classes. Prolamins abound in cereals grains (wheat, barley, oat), quinoa, rice, peanut and soy. Among them gluten is the best known. Gluten is the main structural protein complex of wheat consisting of glutenins and gliadins and constituting about 80% of the total protein of the seed. Gliadin has been shown to increase intestinal permeability. Several studies show that he binding of gliadin to epithelial cells release zonulin, a protein that directly compromises the integrity of the junctional complex.

Lectin activity has been demonstrated in wheat, rye, barley, oat, quinoa, corn and rice.

Soy and peanut allgutins seem to cause analogous problems.

Note: Lectins are thought to have evolved as a natural defense in plants, essentially as a toxin that deters animals from eating the plants

LucH

More info: gluten is a member of the family lectins.
Lectins, agglutinins, and their roles in autoimmune reactivities.
Lectins, agglutinins, and their roles in autoimmune reactivities - PubMed

=> Lectins are carbohydrate-binding proteins present throughout nature that act as agglutinins. Approximately 30% of our food contains lectins, some of which may be resistant enough to digestion to enter the circulation. (2) Because of their binding properties, lectins can cause nutrient deficiencies, disrupt digestion, and cause severe intestinal damage when consumed in excess by an individual with dysfunctional enzymes. These effects are followed by disruption of intestinal barrier integrity, which is the gateway to various autoimmunities. Shared amino acid motifs between dietary lectins, exogenous peptides, and various body tissues may lead to cross-reactivity, resulting in the production of antibodies against lectin and bacterial antigens, followed by autoimmunity.

Highest concentration of lectins
The highest concentrations of lectins are found in healthy foods like legumes, grains and nightshade vegetables. Luckily, there are several ways to reduce the lectin content of these healthy foods to make them safe to eat.

Research shows that by cooking, sprouting or fermenting foods that are high in lectins, you can easily reduce their lectin content to negligible amounts (4, 5, 6).

Below are six healthy foods that are high in lectins.
6 Foods That Are High in Lectins

1. Red Kidney bean
2. Soybean
3. Wheat (but lectins are inactivated by processing and heat treatment)
4. Peanut
5. Tomato. Tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, along with potatoes, eggplants and bell peppers.
6. Potato. Potatoes are high in lectins that appear to be resistant to heat. About 40–50% of their lectin content remains after cooking (37).

As with tomatoes, some people report experiencing adverse effects when they eat potatoes in excess or too often, especially if the potato is not peeled or with first potatoes.

LucH

more info on levels of prolamin / gluten in different cereals. It's the faction "prolamin" that is the most toxic.
Prolamin levels in cereals. gluten.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals