Can microdosing cyproheptadine or amitriptyline sensitize serotonin and other receptors?

Tidal

I have anhedonia and depersonalization from taking SSRIs and tricyclics. The only thing to ever give a window was coming off amitriptyline abruptly, which might have temporarily upregulated some receptors like serotonin or histamine. Maybe 5ht2a and 5ht2c.

I see that others get the same effect from cyproheptadine rebound and I'm wondering if you took an ultra low microdose (probably under a miligram) if this could permanently upregulate the receptors?

I can't stand cyproheptadine at regular doses because it makes me feel even more unconscious.

Sorry to rant now but I am sick and tired of trying to work this ***t out! I just don't understand how you can take an antidepressant and then your receptors are permanently desensitized for years and years.

Will never get my head around it.

ChadGPT

I am going through something similar. If you can, try 4acodmt. I felt what people must feel all the time when they have sex. I’ve only experienced pleasure one other time and I think it was when I was trying different SSRIs for a very short time. Now that you mention it, maybe it was because I was coming off one of them. Im not sure what my problem is but I feel so empty whenever I take something that blocks serotonin. They put me on Prozac when I was a kid and it probably messed something up for life.

I’m so depressed about how evil this world is. Doctors jump at the chance to damage you, but none want to help or care to figure out how to fix the damage they cause.

dukesbobby777

St John's Wort? Upregulates 5HT1A and 2A (IIRC). Tianeptine?

Cyproheptadine messes with dopamine. Feels meh at anything above 0.25mg (for me, anyway).

5HT2C is a weird receptor. Agonising and antagonising it, causes it to downregulate.

I think with SSRI withdrawal, the main thing that helps is time. I was one of the lucky ones because even though I was on them for at least a year, I was taking a low dose. I can't imagine the intensity of giving them up at the usual prescribed doses.

cs3000

I have anhedonia and depersonalization from taking SSRIs and tricyclics. The only thing to ever give a window was coming off amitriptyline abruptly,
sensitizing upregulating serotonin receptors probably not helpful , (unless its autoreceptor that works against but idk depends how its done)
going by receptors alone is simplification but 5ht2a is linked to anxiety, overwhelm/helplessness, & disassociation is anxiety connected
can u list the stuff youve tried up to now?
do you have vivid wild dreaming most nights?
time factor has effect also in my experience over some years, for the most part (neuroplasticity). but only when paired with practiced focus returns from rumination continually with intention

Last edited:
OP
T

Tidal

sensitizing upregulating serotonin receptors probably not helpful , (unless its autoreceptor that works against but idk depends how its done)
going by receptors alone is simplification but 5ht2a is linked to anxiety, overwhelm/helplessness, & disassociation is anxiety connected
can u list the stuff youve tried up to now?
do you have vivid wild dreaming most nights?
time factor has effect also in my experience over some years, for the most part (neuroplasticity). but only when paired with practiced focus returns from rumination continually with intention
I believe I have desensitized serotonin receptors especially 5ht2c as my metabolism and appetite has permanently changed after taking amitriptyline.

My dp/Dr isn't caused by anxiety it never lets up even an inch.

Honestly too much to list what I've tried. Thousands of supplements, nootropics and useless medication.

Nothing works. Only thing to ever give a window was coming off amitriptyline so it had to upregulate something.

I have no desire,I feel unconscious, can't feel a thing and feel devoid of dopamine. The machinery in my brain isn't firing properly. It's not going to heal on its own because it's been 8 years and 5 off all medication.
No to the dream question

Last edited:
OP
T

Tidal

St John's Wort? Upregulates 5HT1A and 2A (IIRC). Tianeptine?

Cyproheptadine messes with dopamine. Feels meh at anything above 0.25mg (for me, anyway).

5HT2C is a weird receptor. Agonising and antagonising it, causes it to downregulate.

I think with SSRI withdrawal, the main thing that helps is time. I was one of the lucky ones because even though I was on them for at least a year, I was taking a low dose. I can't imagine the intensity of giving them up at the usual prescribed doses.
Taking st Johns wort makes my fingers move on their own so I don't know if I can take it for longer than a couple days unfortunately

OP
T

Tidal

How low, and how recent was the test?

A couple years ago, tried some testosterone boosting herbs which didn't make a difference. I have a DUTCH test I can dig out with salivary hormones but they suggest its high when it was low in blood

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom