David Sinclair On Extending Lifespan

Ableton

Why do you guys think greenland sharks get 500years old? Because they are in ice cold water, eat little, and barely move in comparison to other sharks. Very simple concept.

Ableton

Ridiculous. I guess if you define literally everything as "deterioration," even it's exact opposite, then you can't be wrong.
Wait, are you seriously doubting that our ability to regenerate our bodies declines with age? I never defined regeneration as deterioration lmao. I said our ability to regenerate declines with age
According to this forums logic anthropologists should be finding 170 year old people living in hunter gatherer tribes in oceanica or rain forests. Hint: they dont.

Comstock

Wait, did you guys miss this post? Low dose aspirin resulted in the highest caloric intake AND the highest longevity. Metformin resulted in lower caloric intake and decent longevity. The longest living and largest crickets ate the most. Both aspirin and metformin were better than doing nothing.

Crickets Fed Low Dose Aspirin Live 143% Longer, Have Longer Childhoods And Higher Metabolic Rates

"Unlike the reigning dietary restriction paradigm, low aspirin conformed to a paradigm of “eat more, live longer.”"

@Ableton are you going to ignore this?

Ableton

@Ableton are you going to ignore this?
You could literally post a study that here that fasting increases a crickets lifespan and it would be talked down because it’s crickets.
Have you seriously not yet understood that this forum has double standards in research evaluation?

Comstock

That study addresses some of Sinclair's claims. He claims things like metformin and caloric restriction can increase longevity, which this experiment shows. However, aspirin and overeating looks like it's even better. If anything, it looks like Sinclair has a pretty incomplete understanding of longevity.

CLASH

Comparing ad libitum eating to calorically restricted eating is questionable. Especially considering what the lab provided diets are for rats and monkeys.

It would make much more sense to compare a neutrally caloric diet to an ad libitum diet. I think when the researchers adjusted for ad libitum eating in some of those caloric restriction studies they found that the longevity effect dissapeared. So it seems that the issue is more ad libitum. However, considering the make up of the lab diets (such as pure sucrose, purified casein with added methionine, synthetic vitamins and minerals) it obvious to see why an ad libitum model compared to a calorically restricted mode would make sense.

Zooming out, the idea of using calories as a variable is somewhat ridiculous considering the definition of a calorie in the context of the body itself. The studies are basically assessing if eating more causes aging. But the question, as alluded to above and elucidated in further studies is, eating more of what?

With that said there are multiple other theories besides the rate of living theory @Ableton, which had largely been discarded in light of these newer theories. Such theories include the bioenergetic theory known to this forum, the membrane pacemaker theory, and the amino acid restriction theory.

The idea that the body functions as a flame and more metabolic action burns it out over time, is a gross simplification built on a poor analogy. Theres much more nuance in the system than that including non-dietary factors.

Hibernation, dauer, and torpor are not ideal states to shoot for.

Ableton

That study addresses some of Sinclair's claims. He claims things like metformin and caloric restriction can increase longevity, which this experiment shows. However, aspirin and overeating looks like it's even better. If anything, it looks like Sinclair has a pretty incomplete understanding of longevity.
Why does peat not look significantly younger than his age? Why does haidut not look younger? Why do they both have great energy output despite that? Why is the rp diet one among many if it doesn’t have drawbacks, given we are in the internet age?
Why do greenland sharks get so old despite extremely low metabolic rate?
Why do we not find significantly older people in tribes far from the environmental factors of civilization and eating fruit and animal protein exclusively?
Why is literally every extremely old person to have lived low or very low in bmi?

Comstock

Why does peat not look significantly younger than his age? Why does haidut not look younger? Why do they both have great energy output despite that? Why is the rp diet one among many if it doesn’t have drawbacks, given we are in the internet age?
Why do greenland sharks get so old despite extremely low metabolic rate?
Why do we not find significantly older people in tribes far from the environmental factors of civilization and eating fruit and animal protein exclusively?
Why is literally every extremely old person to have lived low or very low in bmi?

Are you making a specific point with those questions? All I'm saying is that the study suggests that caloric restriction is probably not the only way to achieve longevity. It is probably one way of achieving longevity, and the Greenland shark and maybe the old people with low bmi's are evidence in favor of that (although I don't see why a low bmi necessarily means a lower metabolism, I would think people with high metabolisms eat more and have low bmi's) - but that doesn't mean there isn't a way of achieving an even better type of longevity without caloric restriction. In fact the study shows one such example. Isn't that exciting? I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that caloric restriction and a low metabolism is the only way.

Ableton

Are you making a specific point with those questions? All I'm saying is that the study suggests that caloric restriction is probably not the only way to achieve longevity. It is probably one way of achieving longevity, and the Greenland shark and maybe the old people with low bmi's are evidence in favor of that (although I don't see why a low bmi necessarily means a lower metabolism, I would think people with high metabolisms eat more and have low bmi's) - but that doesn't mean there isn't a way of achieving an even better type of longevity without caloric restriction. In fact the study shows one such example. Isn't that exciting? I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me that caloric restriction and a low metabolism is the only way.
The slower an animal moves relative to its own weight, the longer it sleeps relative to its time alive, the longer it lives in comparison to animals with otherwise similar physiology who differ in these points. Low metabolic rate = longevity.
Greenland sharks
Turtles
Kois
Sea urchins
Elephants
Whales

MitchMitchell

Why are you guys getting all heated up debating caloric restriction when Sinclair talks first and foremost about 1) periodic fasting 2) AMINO restriction

there’s at least one high quality study I can think of, in humans of course, that shows that amino acid restriction + normocaloric drops IGF1 whereas calorie restriction doesn’t. Is igf1 a solid predictor of longer lifespans I can’t tell, I don’t think anyone can at least not in humans. I know it’s massively overrated in bodybuilding, that’s all I know.

Personally I find it very easy and enjoyable to keep protein around 1g/kg at most while upping carbs and sugars. Basically Accidental vegetarian peating. If I do crave meat or fish - every blue moon - I’ll have some. Furthermore, Peat has said that eating muscle meat is a stress trigger.

Comstock

The slower an animal moves relative to its own weight, the longer it sleeps relative to its time alive, the longer it lives in comparison to animals with otherwise similar physiology who differ in these points. Low metabolic rate = longevity.
Greenland sharks
Turtles
Kois
Sea urchins
Elephants
Whales

Again, why are you saying this is the only way? Clearly, crickets almost doubling their lifespan while eating considerably more is interesting evidence right?

Also, I googled "faster metabolism longevity", and this was the first link.

Live Fast, Die Young? Maybe Not

Clearly, this suggests that some forms of longevity are not as simple as restricting metabolism right?

tankasnowgod

Wait, are you seriously doubting that our ability to regenerate our bodies declines with age? I never defined regeneration as deterioration lmao. I said our ability to regenerate declines with age
According to this forums logic anthropologists should be finding 170 year old people living in hunter gatherer tribes in oceanica or rain forests. Hint: they dont.

Sorry, I read that wrong, I though you said regeneration CAUSES deterioration. I'd agree that our bodies and the process of regeneration does tend to decline with age, but I don't think it has anything to do with the passage of time. I think, instead, it's the things that have been pointed out again and again on this forum- excess toxins, excess stress (and therefore excess stress hormones like cortisol), low levels of youth associated hormones, and low levels of certain vitamins, minerals, and amino acids like glycine.

You don't need anthropologists to find 170 year olds, seeing as there are claims people living to that age in recent history- Caucasus Peasant Dies at 168; Said to Be World's Oldest Man (Published 1973).

Also, in The Bible, you have claims of many men living hundreds of years, with Methuselah living to an age of 969. Why did they pick such long lifespans? Is it possible that people used to live far longer than we tend to now?

tankasnowgod

Again, why are you saying this is the only way? Clearly, crickets almost doubling their lifespan while eating considerably more is interesting evidence right?

Also, I googled "faster metabolism longevity", and this was the first link.

Live Fast, Die Young? Maybe Not

Clearly, this suggests that some forms of longevity are not as simple as restricting metabolism right?

He should probably go and join the Raymond Pearl forum.

Ableton

Sorry, I read that wrong, I though you said regeneration CAUSES deterioration. I'd agree that our bodies and the process of regeneration does tend to decline with age, but I don't think it has anything to do with the passage of time. I think, instead, it's the things that have been pointed out again and again on this forum- excess toxins, excess stress (and therefore excess stress hormones like cortisol), low levels of youth associated hormones, and low levels of certain vitamins, minerals, and amino acids like glycine.

You don't need anthropologists to find 170 year olds, seeing as there are claims people living to that age in recent history- Caucasus Peasant Dies at 168; Said to Be World's Oldest Man (Published 1973).

Also, in The Bible, you have claims of many men living hundreds of years, with Methuselah living to an age of 969. Why did they pick such long lifespans? Is it possible that people used to live far longer than we tend to now?

be honest: your task is to find the oldest person in the world. Do you search near the equator/ in a rainforest or near the poles/in the mountains?

And what does that tell us about metabolic rate, oxygen, and longevity?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals