Dec 2023 study -Dietary saturated fatty acids increased all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality in an elderly population

CastorTroy

I think food choices as sources of fat are more relevant health wise, than looking at the plain classification of fats just by its saturation/chemical structure. I see that as a very narrow and simplistic approach.

PeterSN

I mean it was based on NHANES data from 2003 to 2008, so its not really new in terms of data collection. I also think its worth mentioning that oxidised cholesterol can contribute to heart disease, and decreasing cholesterol in a person with severe inflammation can decrease cardiovascular events in that person, while increasing mortality in cancer at the same time. Its also worth noting the issues of confounders in population data, its very hard to make claims, such as 'saturated fat worsens heart disease' when these people are living their own lives with many other things happening at the same time

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi Peaters,
This very recent study claims a diet with high saturated fat to total fat ratio is bad. I don't have access to the study so maybe someone who does can shine a light on it with a critique.

Cheers.

A much longer-lasting study with millions of people (including non-Jewish expats living in Israel), known as the Israeli Paradox, has been refuting the SFA=CVD hypothesis for decades and, unsurprisingly, is almost never mentioned in medical journals or the press. By some estimates, Israel has the highest omega-6 consumption in the world (as percentage of total daily fat intake).

Razvan

A much longer-lasting study with millions of people (including non-Jewish expats living in Israel), known as the Israeli Paradox, has been refuting the SFA=CVD hypothesis for decades and, unsurprisingly, is almost never mentioned in medical journals or the press. By some estimates, Israel has the highest omega-6 consumption in the world (as percentage of total daily fat intake).
Yes and also we can add "the french paradox" to the line-up having lower rates of CVD but with higher saturated fat consumption.

OP
trinity

trinity

According to this site Heart Disease Rates by Country 2023 Israel is sitting at 199/205 for rates of heart disease by country. So pretty low. With the amount of PUFA they consume I would have expected them to be number one.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals