DHEA supplementation stop natural production?

DBCoast

Does supplementing with DHEA cause the body to produce less? Would this be a problem when stopping supplementation? Would one need to supplement indefinitely?

I’ve had severe burnout and insomnia due to over-exercising and low-carb eating. I got a DUTCH test done a while back and DHEA was low. A naturopath Rx’ed me some DHEA, but I never took it. Reading about the positives here, I’m considering taking it.

Also, any fertility issues possible when supplementing DHEA?

Thanks

M

MadnessofMemory

Does supplementing with DHEA cause the body to produce less? Would this be a problem when stopping supplementation? Would one need to supplement indefinitely?

I’ve had severe burnout and insomnia due to over-exercising and low-carb eating. I got a DUTCH test done a while back and DHEA was low. A naturopath Rx’ed me some DHEA, but I never took it. Reading about the positives here, I’m considering taking it.

Thanks

Probably would be suppressive, but your DHEA levels are already low anyway. When you stop, you’d just return to where you were, eventually.

Jonk

Yeah I think when you stop you will probably go back to baseline. Be careful with the dosage and read up on the forum, I think @Hans has some interesting articles about it too.

Hans

Forum Supporter

Thanks
Oral DHEA isn't going to suppress you even at 50mg daily. Topical DHEA on the other hand will at 50mg daily. However, I still think it's a good idea to use 10-20mg topical DHEA and 25mg or so oral DHEA to restore optimal DHEA levels.

OP
D

DBCoast

Thanks, guys. I have 25mg oral Pure Encapsulations brand.

I see that RP mentioned lower doses, like 15mg.

@Hans do you think I’m good with the 25mg or would you recommend doing half a dose to start?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks, guys. I have 25mg oral Pure Encapsulations brand.

I see that RP mentioned lower doses, like 15mg.

@Hans do you think I’m good with the 25mg or would you recommend doing half a dose to start?
You can start with half dose ofc. But be sure to test your DHEA and DHT. From th studies I've seen, around between 25-50mg for young individuals are needed to restore DHEA levels.

OP
D

DBCoast

You can start with half dose ofc. But be sure to test your DHEA and DHT. From th studies I've seen, around between 25-50mg for young individuals are needed to restore DHEA levels.
Thanks for your help, @Hans.

Mito

I've seen, around between 25-50mg for young individuals are needed to restore DHEA levels.
Any thoughts on the best test to evaluate adequate DHEA status (blood test, DUTCH, or IdeaLabs hair/nail)?

Dave Clark

Oral DHEA isn't going to suppress you even at 50mg daily. Topical DHEA on the other hand will at 50mg daily. However, I still think it's a good idea to use 10-20mg topical DHEA and 25mg or so oral DHEA to restore optimal DHEA levels.
Just so I am reading this correctly. You say it is a good idea to use 10 -20 mg topical DHEA 'and' 25 mg or so oral DHEA. Are you saying use both, or did you mean 'or', in that recommendation?

LadyRae

Just so I am reading this correctly. You say it is a good idea to use 10 -20 mg topical DHEA 'and' 25 mg or so oral DHEA. Are you saying use both, or did you mean 'or', in that recommendation?
I personally think he meant both, so that the topical DHEA will bypass the liver. Perhaps this will lessen the chance of topical product being converted into estrogen.

Hopefully @Hans will clarify....

OP
D

DBCoast

Does anyone know if it’s possible to raise baseline while supplementing, then cease the supplementing once healing and increased natural production/increased baseline occurs?

Or, will supplementation keep baseline low because the body suppresses production during supplementation?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on the best test to evaluate adequate DHEA status (blood test, DUTCH, or IdeaLabs hair/nail)?
Blood is usually prefect. Look at both DHEA and DHEA-S. You can also do a salivary test (which should be cheaper) and it will show you free DHEA and cortisol.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes both. The topical route will increase 7-keto DHEA (which is pro-metabolic and anti-cortisol), testosterone and DHT more than oral. But I'd limit topical to 20mg because it might be suppressive in the long run. Oral can then be added to top off DHEA levels if the topical DHEA isn't enough for that.
So both, but it depends on if topical if effective enough at restoring DHEA. If it's effective by itself, then no need to add oral.
But oral without topical is also fine, but IMO someone will miss out on some of the benefits of topical DHEA.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Does anyone know if it’s possible to raise baseline while supplementing, then cease the supplementing once healing and increased natural production/increased baseline occurs?

Or, will supplementation keep baseline low because the body suppresses production during supplementation?

HighT

I personally think he meant both, so that the topical DHEA will bypass the liver. Perhaps this will lessen the chance of topical product being converted into estrogen.

Hopefully @Hans will clarify....

I want to ask the same. Plus if the topical is vitamin e oil, will be still a suppresion, and is it supression forever or one can recover to make own dhea some time after stoping the topical?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I want to ask the same. Plus if the topical is vitamin e oil, will be still a suppresion, and is it supression forever or one can recover to make own dhea some time after stoping the topical?
Something in vit E will absorb a lot worse than ethanol or DMSO. So it all comes down to the dose absorbed. In my article about topical DHEA causes suppression, they used 50mg for 6 days. 4 weeks after stopping they were still a bit suppressed. Perhaps they would have recovered after 2 months, who knows.
But keep in mind, DHEA-S just went back to baseline. So topical DHEA didn't suppress endogenous DHEA production. Only LH.

HighT

Something in vit E will absorb a lot worse than ethanol or DMSO. So it all comes down to the dose absorbed. In my article about topical DHEA causes suppression, they used 50mg for 6 days. 4 weeks after stopping they were still a bit suppressed. Perhaps they would have recovered after 2 months, who knows.
But keep in mind, DHEA-S just went back to baseline. So topical DHEA didn't suppress endogenous DHEA production. Only LH.
Thank you! So it is not very bad, small doses won't cause much suppression. I read above you said combining oral and topical- is it for the suppression reason? What is LH :D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals