Does thyroid use up calcium in the body?

BingDing

I was going to mention Mg also. Topical magnesium oil and Mg bicarbonate worked the best for me. Mg deficiency is very common and I've read that it can take several months for tissue levels to fully replete. I suspect it took more like 2 years for me and most of the oral forms (pills) were not effective.

jimmyquick

mayweatherking said:
Im trying to control this damn hair loss.... I felt better without it for now.. but i dk the right amt of calcium.. how to know what to take? Lol

I've taking large amounts of both vitamin d and calcium (drinking gallons of milk) and both led me to eventually feel like sh*t with the exact same symptoms. Both fixed with magnesium as everyone has suggested.

10-15k vit d a day is a lot as well as that much eggshell plus milk. Agree with Tara, look at your cronometer. When I keep calcium to mag ratio around 2:1 or 3:1 I feel enormously better.

OP
mayweatherking
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:
post 100981 @haidut emergency question. Would taking too much calcium cause loss of calcium from body when taking thyroid? I noticed I stopped taking egg shell for one milk and oj session and coffee and I felt way better.. maybe I was too mhch calcium.. is it possible?

Or anyone.. is this possible? Maybe that was my mess up? I was taking 1/2 teaspoon 4 or 5 times a day everytime I had a cup of milk and oj. Coffee def. Helped me out. Any insight would be beyond amazing. I feel like I'm so close to figuring this out.. jeeeez.

I don't know what exactly happened but you may have caused temporary hypercalcemia with all this calcium and in the process depleted some cofactor required for pancreas or liver to work. Or you could have gotten a "milk alkali" syndrome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk-alkali_syndrome
The blood tests should show what happened, however keeping calcium intake at about 2g is probably best for now.

Thank. You might be right. If you hsve too much calcium, does it leevh calcium from your bones or cause sensitife teeth?

I got the labs back also. My calcium is definitely going up, its 10.9 the scale is to 10.4 max. I guess the egg shells are working eh?

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alkaline phosphate 57 alp
Aspartate aminotrabferesae 18 ast
Alt 19
Bilirubin total 0.4 (.3-1.2 !!!!)

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

Bile seems too low. Everything else looks all right you think? My creatine went up, my red blood cells went down into range, my wbc went up a little too.

Btw, all you guys have something right with this magnesium. I bought the salt extract magnesium from utah you apply topically. Applied it yesterdw... woke up actually kinda aroused.. it was awesome. But it faded a bit.. sad face. Ill keep using it though. Maybe my calcium is too high as shown above and need more mag. Altho I do a qt of oj a day thats a lot of mag.

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
mayweatherking said:
post 101244
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:
post 100981 @haidut emergency question. Would taking too much calcium cause loss of calcium from body when taking thyroid? I noticed I stopped taking egg shell for one milk and oj session and coffee and I felt way better.. maybe I was too mhch calcium.. is it possible?

Or anyone.. is this possible? Maybe that was my mess up? I was taking 1/2 teaspoon 4 or 5 times a day everytime I had a cup of milk and oj. Coffee def. Helped me out. Any insight would be beyond amazing. I feel like I'm so close to figuring this out.. jeeeez.

I don't know what exactly happened but you may have caused temporary hypercalcemia with all this calcium and in the process depleted some cofactor required for pancreas or liver to work. Or you could have gotten a "milk alkali" syndrome.
The blood tests should show what happened, however keeping calcium intake at about 2g is probably best for now.

Thank. You might be right. If you hsve too much calcium, does it leevh calcium from your bones or cause sensitife teeth?

I got the labs back also. My calcium is definitely going up, its 10.9 the scale is to 10.4 max. I guess the egg shells are working eh?

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alt 19

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

Bile seems too low. Everything else looks all right you think? My creatine went up, my red blood cells went down into range, my wbc went up a little too.

Btw, all you guys have something right with this magnesium. I bought the salt extract magnesium from utah you apply topically. Applied it yesterdw... woke up actually kinda aroused.. it was awesome. But it faded a bit.. sad face. Ill keep using it though. Maybe my calcium is too high as shown above and need more mag. Altho I do a qt of oj a day thats a lot of mag.

Calcium is high. I would lower the calcium dose. If it is milk alkali, it takes some time to recover.
Have you had tests for PTH, prolactin, vitamin D3, and calcitriol?
Bilirubin is normal. You don't want it high, it usually means your liver is messed up.

OP
mayweatherking
haidut said:
post 101272
mayweatherking said:
post 101244
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alt 19

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

Calcium is high. I would lower the calcium dose. If it is milk alkali, it takes some time to recover.
Bilirubin is normal. You don't want it high, it usually means your liver is messed up.

Yes. .. except calcitriol. The calcium went up here from egg shell. .. I started doing it a week or two ago but a lot.

My d was too low.. now its in range. Its around 44 and I do 10k to 15k a day. Prolactin is without a doubt a large problem for me. Its 13.0.. my first blood test it was 13.9.. thats about 3 weeks ago. Pth is also off.. I forgot if high or low means its off but it was on the bad end of the scale.

Im doing all this calcium to lower that damn prolactin. Fwiw I did "feel" good on thyroid.. actuaply amazing.. but the sensitive teeth thing. Dammit.

haidut

Forum Supporter
mayweatherking said:
post 101278
haidut said:
post 101272
mayweatherking said:
post 101244
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alt 19

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

Yes. .. except calcitriol. The calcium went up here from egg shell. .. I started doing it a week or two ago but a lot.

My d was too low.. now its in range. Its around 44 and I do 10k to 15k a day. Prolactin is without a doubt a large problem for me. Its 13.0.. my first blood test it was 13.9.. thats about 3 weeks ago. Pth is also off.. I forgot if high or low means its off but it was on the bad end of the scale.

Im doing all this calcium to lower that damn prolactin. Fwiw I did "feel" good on thyroid.. actuaply amazing.. but the sensitive teeth thing. Dammit.

I think the reasonable calcium dose is about 2,000mg. For prolactin purposes you can take vitamin E, aspirin, or zinc as they all seem to lower prolactin. Methylene blue is perhaps the most powerful OTC anti-prolactin but you may need high doses.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6697

Giraffe

The quote is from another thread:
mayweatherking said:
post 98246 I have 3 or 4 tsh, lowrrish cholesterol, bad pth, high prolactin, low vit d. Im doing vit d and k2 to fix the d problem, but maybe im doing too much. Im taking 15mg of thorne in the morning then ill take more in the day. After I take k2 and drink milk.. I feel the expansion. So weird.
"Bad PTH" does this mean high? You might want to read Kiran's posts about the PTH-calcium-connection in this thread.

Or start a log, so all information is in one place?

jimmyquick

mayweatherking said:

I've never had any success lowering prolactin with more calcium on blood test, only PTH. It only lead to increased irritability and more problems until I balanced it with magnesium.

OP
mayweatherking
haidut said:
post 101302
mayweatherking said:
post 101278
haidut said:
post 101272
mayweatherking said:
post 101244
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alt 19

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

I think the reasonable calcium dose is about 2,000mg. For prolactin purposes you can take vitamin E, aspirin, or zinc as they all seem to lower prolactin. Methylene blue is perhaps the most powerful OTC anti-prolactin but you may need high doses.

Thanks. I will go for those.

Is mmethylene blue even safe though? damn man.. i'm worried about messing with chemical compounds after i messed with finasteride. my prolactin went down from 13.9 to 13.0 in about a month. i wonder if it is continuing to go down. i keep going to my doctor and basically telling him to give me bloodwork.. i think he was kinda pissed last time i went and asked for bile and all this other stuff lol. oh well, i have a spending account at my job for blood work anyway, i might find another doctor to go to for it though if i can.

Giraffe said:
post 101343 The quote is from another thread:
mayweatherking said:
post 98246 I have 3 or 4 tsh, lowrrish cholesterol, bad pth, high prolactin, low vit d. Im doing vit d and k2 to fix the d problem, but maybe im doing too much. Im taking 15mg of thorne in the morning then ill take more in the day. After I take k2 and drink milk.. I feel the expansion. So weird.
"Bad PTH" does this mean high? You might want to read Kiran's posts about the PTH-calcium-connection in this thread.

Yes. It is 23. All this calcification stuff is really one of my problems. Today I have a really bad headache from it. The thyroid supplement I took really helped with it, but I can't seem to handle it. I wish I knew why. It seems like I had very high serum calcium. I wonder if the high serum calcium is from the eggshells or no..

So far, you guys are right, the magnesium did help a lot. It seems to have spiked my T and gave me a libido. But my main problems are still there.. maybe it will just take time. But I literally feel pressure on my head.

Is it possible to get too much vitamin D? I think it might be from vitamin D actually.

OP
mayweatherking
after I took the A and D today, my temperature went up. today I felt like I was gonna puke. even now I feel sick like I'm going to throw up. and my head is throbbing. my temp went above to like 99.5. now it's 98.7 or 98.8. i just feel generally sick though and out of it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
mayweatherking said:
post 101569
haidut said:
post 101302
mayweatherking said:
post 101278
haidut said:
post 101272
mayweatherking said:
post 101244
haidut said:
post 100986
mayweatherking said:

A lbumin 4.7
Globulin 2.9
Albulmin/globulin 1.6
Alt 19

Lipase 41 (7-60)
Amylase 47 (20-104)

Thanks. I will go for those.

Is mmethylene blue even safe though? damn man.. i'm worried about messing with chemical compounds after i messed with finasteride. my prolactin went down from 13.9 to 13.0 in about a month. i wonder if it is continuing to go down. i keep going to my doctor and basically telling him to give me bloodwork.. i think he was kinda pissed last time i went and asked for bile and all this other stuff lol. oh well, i have a spending account at my job for blood work anyway, i might find another doctor to go to for it though if i can.

Giraffe said:
post 101343 The quote is from another thread:
mayweatherking said:

Yes. It is 23. All this calcification stuff is really one of my problems. Today I have a really bad headache from it. The thyroid supplement I took really helped with it, but I can't seem to handle it. I wish I knew why. It seems like I had very high serum calcium. I wonder if the high serum calcium is from the eggshells or no..

So far, you guys are right, the magnesium did help a lot. It seems to have spiked my T and gave me a libido. But my main problems are still there.. maybe it will just take time. But I literally feel pressure on my head.

Is it possible to get too much vitamin D? I think it might be from vitamin D actually.

If you are worried about methylene blue then go with the "safer" substances like vitamin E and zinc. Virtually anything you take will affect you somehow and methylene blue in lower doses is one of the safest things you can take OTC. But start with whatever you are comfortable with.

OP
mayweatherking
@haidut I thought it was a prescription.. it is used for aquarium cleaning though? I just want to figure out my issue with thyroid meds.. it seems like I don't know if this is the root cause or not. My temp seems to stay at 98.6 or above, but my hair is still itchy if im not on thyroid. I feel better on calcium, but apparently doinv too much. This is just ridiculous. .. on thyroid every thing seems to imrpve except the calcium leeching thing.

I was taking k2 orqlly now I take it on my legs.. I wonder if that would make a difference...

OP
mayweatherking
Okay guys. I think I may know what is going on, tell me what you guys think. Today I didn't have any egg shell calcium, magically I feel like ***t, worse, no libido at all, hair itchy, etc. However, I'm drinking milk. Then, I feel the teeth tingling thing again. The milk calcium is not being digested for some reason. My PTH is high, so if my PTH is high, technically I'm not getting enough calcium, right?

So milk is not doing it's job. I can't digest it for some reason or another. BTW, it is raw goat milk. I'm going to switch from getting protein from milk to getting protein from chicken and fish, danny roddy told me he did this when he first started. I have geleatin as well to offset it. What do you guys think?

Is this possible do you guys think? The milk is not being digested? Why else would I feel so good from egg shell calcium? If milk has calcium and I drink 2 qts of it, but feel like ***t, my hair is itchy, etc. Only egg shell calcium raised my temperature. But I don't want too much calcium. I don't know waht the deal is. Something is just weird and off.

narouz

mayweatherking said:
post 101720 Okay guys. I think I may know what is going on, tell me what you guys think. Today I didn't have any egg shell calcium, magically I feel like s***, worse, no libido at all, hair itchy, etc. However, I'm drinking milk. Then, I feel the teeth tingling thing again. The milk calcium is not being digested for some reason. My PTH is high, so if my PTH is high, technically I'm not getting enough calcium, right?

So milk is not doing it's job. I can't digest it for some reason or another. BTW, it is raw goat milk. I'm going to switch from getting protein from milk to getting protein from chicken and fish, danny roddy told me he did this when he first started. I have geleatin as well to offset it. What do you guys think?

Is this possible do you guys think? The milk is not being digested? Why else would I feel so good from egg shell calcium? If milk has calcium and I drink 2 qts of it, but feel like s***, my hair is itchy, etc. Only egg shell calcium raised my temperature. But I don't want too much calcium. I don't know waht the deal is. Something is just weird and off.

I do think it is possible that you are not getting enough calcium despite drinking a lot of milk.
I've come to that conclusion from my own experience,
but I can't prove it.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 101244 I got the labs back also. My calcium is definitely going up, its 10.9 the scale is to 10.4 max. I guess the egg shells are working eh?

Have you tried taking 1/4 tsp doses of eggshell instead of 1/2 tsp? Notice any difference?

tara said:
post 100988 Have you checked your intake of Mg?
Several people have mentioned magnesium, and I can't see anything from you about how much of it you eat/drink each day. Can you check how much you are typically getting in your current diet and let us know?

I don't know that there is a lot of point in coming up with other ideas without having this information. If Mg intake is low, then it would be interesting to know what happens if you increase it.

Some of us have trouble with milk, one way or another. You can try replacing it with other protein and eggshell for a few days and see if it makes an improvement.

OP
mayweatherking
tara said:
post 101736
mayweatherking said:
post 101244 I got the labs back also. My calcium is definitely going up, its 10.9 the scale is to 10.4 max. I guess the egg shells are working eh?

Have you tried taking 1/4 tsp doses of eggshell instead of 1/2 tsp? Notice any difference?

tara said:
post 100988 Have you checked your intake of Mg?
Several people have mentioned magnesium, and I can't see anything from you about how much of it you eat/drink each day. Can you check how much you are typically getting in your current diet and let us know?

I don't know that there is a lot of point in coming up with other ideas without having this information. If Mg intake is low, then it would be interesting to know what happens if you increase it.

Some of us have trouble with milk, one way or another. You can try replacing it with other protein and eggshell for a few days and see if it makes an improvement.

Yes, I did add the magnesium and it did help a lot. I did about 250mg of magnesium once a day from the spray stuff that I bought. However, I am talking about how when today I didn't have egg shell calcium, I all of a sudden feel like crap. The egg shell calcium made a world of difference for me. It was the missing factor that really brought my temperature up and made me feel better. But why would I need egg shell calcium if I am getting milk? It doesn't make sense. And it's not to do with the dose because when I take egg shell calcium, no matter how much, I feel better. Even if I take an amount that is similar to what is found in a glass of milk. It makes no sense. This calcification problem is my biggest problem here and it's messing my libido and causing me to lose my hair. I literally feel my skull calcifying. So scary.

My problem is I don't know why milk is doing so bad for me. This is soooo annoying, I literally hate myself man, my hair is thinning so bad from not knowing the right combination, my hair is falling out like rocket fire. I'm literally going to be bald soon, my skull is starting to be visible in certain spots and my temples are destroyed.

Besides the spray, I did get magnesium from OJ and I was doing around a qt or a qt and a half a day.

My concern with the calcium, and when you are saying it's not enough, I had lab tests done and it said my serum calcium was too high. It was like 1 over the range, like 10.8 or something when the max is 10.4. That was after I was taking the thyroid. I'm soo confused, I don't know how much to take of any of this stuff. I was taking a lot of egg shell everyday, maybe it is too much. :(

How do I know how much to take everyday?

OP
mayweatherking
narouz said:
post 101729
mayweatherking said:
post 101720 Okay guys. I think I may know what is going on, tell me what you guys think. Today I didn't have any egg shell calcium, magically I feel like s***, worse, no libido at all, hair itchy, etc. However, I'm drinking milk. Then, I feel the teeth tingling thing again. The milk calcium is not being digested for some reason. My PTH is high, so if my PTH is high, technically I'm not getting enough calcium, right?

Is this possible do you guys think? The milk is not being digested? Why else would I feel so good from egg shell calcium? If milk has calcium and I drink 2 qts of it, but feel like s***, my hair is itchy, etc. Only egg shell calcium raised my temperature. But I don't want too much calcium. I don't know waht the deal is. Something is just weird and off.

I do think it is possible that you are not getting enough calcium despite drinking a lot of milk.
I've come to that conclusion from my own experience,
but I can't prove it.

When I started upping my egg shell calcium in addition to the milk.. my serum calcium went up in my blood tests to over the range... in addition to that, my teeth feel weird tingling in them. What does that mean....

OP
mayweatherking
I just ate 2 chicken legs, 21 oz of OJ, a lot of land o lakes gelatin, and 3/4 teaspoon of egg shell calcium, and the sides of my skull are throbbing like it is expanding. And my teeth feel tingling near the tips. What. The. ****. Jesus, how does this calcification stuff stop. Oh my god. This is seriously driving me out of my mind. I need to go back and get more bloodwork, I don't even know if my doctor will do it, the dude is getting annoyed as hell I just demand blood work everytime I go.. this is costing me a lot.

OP
mayweatherking
And now I eat oysters, coffee, and OJ, and all of a sudden the swelling goes down. Something in oysters makes the swelling go down. Could it be the zinc? Seriously, what in the **** is wrong with me. Lol. Does long term high phosphate low calcium take a long time to fix? And my libido seems to be turning back on as well and my temp is going up. Maybe it is the zinc? Now I feel like I could be loading on too many supplements. if I add it in...

This is what I was worried about when I added in the A. I'm taking D, K2, A, and now Magnesium. the D is messing me up, I feel head swelling after it, but I don't know how much to take. Or maybe it is because I didn't take egg shell calcium today.. I'm not sure.

Is there some doctor I can pay to give me blood work every 2 weeks and tell me what to eat? This is seriously insane, I feel like I'm chasing a ghost with you all tara, haidut, all of you are helping me, it's like, what is going on in Earth right now? Why does no one know about this, but only this forum knows what's going on? Even we don't know what's going on, but something is going on since oysters obviously fix it.

tara

mayweatherking said:
post 101740
My concern with the calcium, and when you are saying it's not enough, I had lab tests done and it said my serum calcium was too high. It was like 1 over the range, like 10.8 or something when the max is 10.4.
I did not say you were not getting enough calcium. I suggested you halve your dose from 1/2 tsp several times a day to 1/4 tsp several times a day, because I thought 1/2 tsp several times a day might be too much for you currently. I think Haidut suggested similar. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If none feels bad in one way, and an extremely high dose feels bad in another way, then experiment within that range to see if you can find a level that feels OK, eg by going half way in between for strters, and adjusting up or down a little at a time from there. And maybe get tests again after a while.

mayweatherking said:
post 101740
Yes, I did add the magnesium and it did help a lot. I did about 250mg of magnesium once a day from the spray stuff that I bought.
That's great that it helped. So I guess it makes sense to keep it up. Do you mean you ingested 250mg Mg orally from the spray ? Or you sprayed 250mg Mg on your skin (and therefore probably absorbing much less)? How much Mg are you eating? The commonly suggested RDI is 400mg, and Peat has said hypothyroid folk probably need this much. Are you getting at least 400mg/day? If not, I'd recommend trying to for a while, and seeing if that improves things. You should notice some improvement quickly, but there may be more changes over time too. I am not suggesting you take Mg instead of calcium, but in addition to it, to help with calcium metabolism.

mayweatherking said:
post 101740 But why would I need egg shell calcium if I am getting milk? It doesn't make sense. And it's not to do with the dose because when I take egg shell calcium, no matter how much, I feel better. Even if I take an amount that is similar to what is found in a glass of milk. It makes no sense.
There are probably several ways milk can cause trouble. Some people get gut disruption from lactose, probably because they are having trouble producing sufficient lactase to break it down into a form the body can use. Some people get allergic reactions to the proteins - I don't know if this disrupts digestion of the associated calcium, but it wouldn't surprise me. Some people get other reactions to milk - there are threads discussing A1 and A2 proteins - I don't know how relevant they are.
Also, the calcium in milk is not in the same chemical form as the calcium in eggshells (calcium carbonate). It wouldn't surprise me if this could affect absorption for some people. I would expect calcium carbonate t have a more alkalinising effect in most people's systems, and that could be another factor.

mayweatherking said:
post 101747 And now I eat oysters, coffee, and OJ, and all of a sudden the swelling goes down. Something in oysters makes the swelling go down. Could it be the zinc?
Zinc is an important mineral, Peat recommends oysters for this reason. Many things interact with each other in the body. Coffee can probably reduce swelling in some circumstances.

It sounds as though you are getting frustrated because you are not being giving nice straight forward answers about what is going on and what to do about it. I'm sure many of us would like that, but it's not a realistic expectation. The human body is very complex, and it can malfunction in very many ways. No-one can know exactly what is going on in yours. We are all just making some more-or-less educated guesses, according to what we've learned from Peat and other sources.

If you want to understand more, keep reading Peat and other threads here, and learn more about basic physiology from other sources too. And make changes and see what happens. Moderate incremental changes may be safer than extreme ones.

Or go find a practitioner to work with. There are a few around, each with somewhat different takes - eg Danny Roddy with a focus on hair, Josh and Jeanne Rubin (generally a low-supplement approach, I think), Benedicte MaiLerche (linked from Ray Peat's site). And others.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals