Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

Arrade

Really MB raised your serotonin? My understanding is serotinin increases cortisol. Which is the opposite of what Mb is suppose to do. I swear biologics love paradoxes.

Yes I am getting anout 600 mcg of selenium with 6 mg of iodine a day. U think i should up selenium?
Just making sure you have some selenium. TBH I mainly hear the upper limit of selenium is 400 mcg, but I don’t know how accurate that is

MB raised serotonin above 1mg it’s pretty reliably accepted, but even .5 mg gets me
Ashwagandha is another supplement (herb) that lowers cortisol but raises serotonin.
I prefer to take these once every 1-3 days to diminish negative effects

GorillaHead

This fails to address why it was discovered that aromatase expression was higher in mom balding scalp and even higher in the back of the head of those balding. Aromatase and androgens work together to grow hair this is clear to me.

Aromatase deficient men have no hairloss or body hair. But thy are deficient in serum.

everyone and I mean on every forum and even studies all neglect that fact that the skin is capable of full steroidgenesis and studies have shown it works with the hpa axis. What we see in serum may be the complete opposite that we see in tissue. All androgenic alopecia studies should strictly focus on biopsies.

johnwester130

finasteride may work by reducing cortisol too

The Cause Of Baldness

what explains the people who regrow hair with finasteride (40% success rate) ?
I came across this passage in an article:
‘It turns out that 5α reductase not only converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, but it also irreversibly reduces glucocorticoids and progestins: deoxycorticosterone to 5α-dihydrodeoxycorticosterone and progesterone to 5a-dihydroprogesterone.' ―Irwig
Perhaps 5α-dihydrodeoxycorticosterone is a ligand for the mineralcorticoid receptor?

I found just now a better one:
  • Traish, Abdulmaged M., et al. "Adverse effects of 5α-reductase inhibitors: What do we know, don’t know, and need to know?." Reviews in Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders 16.3 (2015): 177-198.
The substrates for 5α- Rs include T, progesterone (PROG), deoxycorticosterone (DOC), corticosterone, cortisol and aldosterone. The products of these reactions result in formation of 5α-dihydro-derivatives such as 5α-DHT, 5α-dihydroprogesterone (5α-DHP) and 5α- dihydrodeoxycorticosterone (5α-DHDOC), 5α- dihydrocorticosterone, 5α-dihydrocortisol and 5α- dihydroxyaldosterone. The latter two metabolites are thought to act as potential active mineralocorticoids [17]. ―Traish

[17] Marver D, Edelman IS. Dihydrocortisol: a potential mineralocorticoid. J Steroid Biochem. 1978;9:1.
Perhaps it works by inhibiting 5α-dihydrocortisol?

johnwester130

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...uinea_pigs/links/0046353c6c531d6599000000.pdf

These results show for the first time that only small amounts of systemically administered radioactive glucocorticoids are deposited in hair of guinea pigs, while measurement of large amounts of unlabeled GCM strongly suggests local production of glucocorticoids in hair follicles​

So that's basically the interesting part. Cortisol is massively produced in the hair follicles. I was listening to a KMUD interview with Ray, and he was saying that a lot of estrogen is produced in the skin, more than in the ovaries (of course also in men, LOL). I think ditto in the follicles and this probably has a lot to do with hair loss.

I think we're gonna find that in stress, the hair follicles create a lot of cortisol and estrogen and all the other stress hormones and that this causes hair loss. Pretty much like Danny Roddy has said.

What is interesting to me is that this occurs on the hair on the head but not on the chin or pubic region.

I think that most likely, there is a reason for this. Perhaps over the millennia, we have done better as men when we were bald if we were under stress, in order to get more sunlight on her scalp. I'm totally not kidding.

would topical licorice extract work?

it prevents cortisol converting into cortisone and apparently this is a good thing

OP
ecstatichamster
Can someone help me understand the mechanism?

The licorice keeps the body only using cortisol, thereby it doesn't have to produce any of its own?

Is that correct? won't cortisol get backed up?

Travis write this to me when I asked him:

11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase turns cortisone into cortisol and is present at high levels in the scalp of males.

Even more proof that cortisol is involved in hair loss. The licorice extract was found more effective than Minoxidil®, which basically only works by increasing blood flow.

While it’s true that DHT and testosterone are often found higher in male pattern baldness, all adrenal steroids are found higher—especially aldosterone, cortisol, and cortisone.

2y7k7l9VIeNDiB6jFu_-cFio6FkWmpYMPGaH9p-mhdNHliL9XvQDjDzgEZu2SUVBVdJ_bCsGZ--VsJb22TQhZ6s8bHUo61mNMDLIrbtEx_3O3tCjOJBBeImVWA8KBCSQFsWXfisg

Cortisol is the main link between hair loss, males, stress, and age.

Adrenal activity is often found to be much higher in males. This is partially because of the action of testosterone on the adrenal gland during the early stages in development.

And males are generally a bit more stressed-out, always on-edge. This leads to higher cortisone and cortisol in the circulation.

Many researchers have found that our enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase increases with age much more often than not, explaining the age factor in hair loss.

“11β-HSD1 expression increases with age in primary dermal fibroblasts and in skin tissues.” ―Terao

The age increase was found specifically in the oxoreductase, cortisol-producing activity.

PaC-VcrKl8HwutWR0YSf4b9hniSsIryq-essJdBeWtxk3UI17Q0SZiAKwzoUxCls1LGW5emhumfU7SXcM4pCv05zle8oMrTxeQT0mYPKy2b32k2Q6pVc-dU4fhGLTbApp73IgoVw

This enzyme also functions as the cortisol-producing reductase in osteoblast cells, where it is thought to contribute to osteoporosis.

“In adult human bone, 11-HSD1 expression is evident in osteoblasts where it appears to function primarily as a reductase (converting cortisone to cortisol).” ―Cooper

Broken man

Travis write this to me when I asked him:

11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase turns cortisone into cortisol and is present at high levels in the scalp of males.

Even more proof that cortisol is involved in hair loss. The licorice extract was found more effective than Minoxidil®, which basically only works by increasing blood flow.

While it’s true that DHT and testosterone are often found higher in male pattern baldness, all adrenal steroids are found higher—especially aldosterone, cortisol, and cortisone.

2y7k7l9VIeNDiB6jFu_-cFio6FkWmpYMPGaH9p-mhdNHliL9XvQDjDzgEZu2SUVBVdJ_bCsGZ--VsJb22TQhZ6s8bHUo61mNMDLIrbtEx_3O3tCjOJBBeImVWA8KBCSQFsWXfisg

Cortisol is the main link between hair loss, males, stress, and age.

Adrenal activity is often found to be much higher in males. This is partially because of the action of testosterone on the adrenal gland during the early stages in development.

And males are generally a bit more stressed-out, always on-edge. This leads to higher cortisone and cortisol in the circulation.

Many researchers have found that our enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase increases with age much more often than not, explaining the age factor in hair loss.

“11β-HSD1 expression increases with age in primary dermal fibroblasts and in skin tissues.” ―Terao

The age increase was found specifically in the oxoreductase, cortisol-producing activity.

PaC-VcrKl8HwutWR0YSf4b9hniSsIryq-essJdBeWtxk3UI17Q0SZiAKwzoUxCls1LGW5emhumfU7SXcM4pCv05zle8oMrTxeQT0mYPKy2b32k2Q6pVc-dU4fhGLTbApp73IgoVw

This enzyme also functions as the cortisol-producing reductase in osteoblast cells, where it is thought to contribute to osteoporosis.

“In adult human bone, 11-HSD1 expression is evident in osteoblasts where it appears to function primarily as a reductase (converting cortisone to cortisol).” ―Cooper
Good one.

johnwester130

Also Fungus on scalp make PUFA... which might create enough inflammation to locally trigger hair loss. Which stinks because avoiding dietary PUFA doesn't stop those stinkers from making it.
Isolation and Expression of a Malassezia globosa Lipase Gene, LIP1 - ScienceDirect
And if androgens increase sebum production, that could be a possible explanation for male pattern baldness... Malassezia
View attachment 7051

interesting

selsun blue and similar things look interesting solutions

MitchMitchell

Selsun blue too harsh IME. Nizoral twice a week at most and trying to keep blood sugar STABLE that helped a lot. Doesn’t mean avoiding sugar at all rather eat it with fats and protein maybe. Small meals snacking all day over 3 bigger portions. I seldom have any sebum on the temples now. 32yo NW2 which I can hide with a decent haircut. Been trying the bald look this August but I didn’t like it. Both saliva and serum testing did consistently show high cortisol for the last 2 years. Regrowth been fine however there’s visible thinning which I doubt can be undone.

Streamable Video

routine is very mild plant based shampoo 4-5x a week in the morning and I’m going to add ru58841 in to the mix pre bed.

Last edited:

johnwester130

a few google results show that cortisol can increase sebum

therefore more bacteria and more problems

Ableton

idk how anyone could think cortisol is good for hair. Its stresss hormone. Its catabolic. It causes increases androgen to compensate.
your take on why schweinsteiger has skin and hair color of a 60 year old and hairline of a 20 year old then?
there is obviously something going on in him that selectively destroys tissue and spares other

Ableton

I think he describes cortisol physiological/ normal function. But then going overboard (above range) is undoubtedly a net negative
sure, but we are discussing cortisol in the context of hair loss, not as a net negative or positive.

i'm just citing a member because he seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the topic. I have nothing of value to add to the topic of cortisol myself

Ableton

cushing disease and hairloss in men is a pretty interesting topic. finding kind of contradicting verdicts on it (causes hairloss) and pictures of men with low hairlines.

check this out:
AUCTORES | 569 |

patient experiences hair thinning in his nw0-1 hairline. look at the belly pic figure 9 of this guy from before cushing. its ******* distorted. but his hairline looks receded there. lol. I have difficulties unseeing that even with lense distortion. there is just no hair on the side of his forehead. looks nw 2 at best, closer to 2,5-3 lol
that "hair thinning" looks like ******* regrowth to me ngl

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals