Announcement @haidut aka Georgi Has Been Banned *****edit*****: Ban Has Been Lifted

Peater

Where does Peat say he was hyperthyroid?

Do you have the link for the audio or the written on that?

Thx

I don't but I remember it being mentioned when he talked about his forestry work. He needed huge amounts of food compared to the others.

InChristAlone

I came across Peat and this forum about a decade ago and have benefited tremendously from many of the things I have learned. Having said that, there are a lot of things I've tried based on things I read here that haven't exactly worked for me.

I had never been overweight my entire life but wanted to try the "Peat" principles to increase energy. I started consuming lots of milk, orange juice, saturated fats (butter, coconut oil), bowls of ice cream before bed to "improve sleep", etc. I quickly gained about 40lbs, all of it located in my gut and my face. I realized after a while Peat never really advocated massive amounts of saturated fats and many of the other things I was doing. So I have only myself to blame for that I guess.

I used to be a competitive athlete but now am afraid to engage in exercise in case it's too exhausting (causes panting) and "raises estrogen" and "stress hormones". I'm afraid to get too much fiber from vegetables I used to normally eat because broccoli, cabbage, etc are "anti-thyroid" and cause "gut issues" which "trigger the creation of serotonin". I'm afraid to stop eating a couple eggs and some cheese and milk every day because where else am I going to my vitamin a, protein and calcium? Some of what I'm writing is rhetorical in that it's clear some of the things I'm doing aren't working for me. At the same time, I feel it's hard to let go of certain ideas when you've believed in them for so long. Like maybe it's the right path but I'm just doing it all wrong. Anyone feel the same?

I'm grateful to God I am generally in great health and look much younger than my age. But maybe that's just genetics and I would have been better off not subjecting myself to a way of eating that has given me a fatty liver :):
I relate so much to this! (I didn't gain a ton of weight though because I undereat and still had the negative effects of poor exercise tolerance and so on)

Peater

I came across Peat and this forum about a decade ago and have benefited tremendously from many of the things I have learned. Having said that, there are a lot of things I've tried based on things I read here that haven't exactly worked for me.

I had never been overweight my entire life but wanted to try the "Peat" principles to increase energy. I started consuming lots of milk, orange juice, saturated fats (butter, coconut oil), bowls of ice cream before bed to "improve sleep", etc. I quickly gained about 40lbs, all of it located in my gut and my face. I realized after a while Peat never really advocated massive amounts of saturated fats and many of the other things I was doing. So I have only myself to blame for that I guess.

I used to be a competitive athlete but now am afraid to engage in exercise in case it's too exhausting (causes panting) and "raises estrogen" and "stress hormones". I'm afraid to get too much fiber from vegetables I used to normally eat because broccoli, cabbage, etc are "anti-thyroid" and cause "gut issues" which "trigger the creation of serotonin". I'm afraid to stop eating a couple eggs and some cheese and milk every day because where else am I going to my vitamin a, protein and calcium? Some of what I'm writing is rhetorical in that it's clear some of the things I'm doing aren't working for me. At the same time, I feel it's hard to let go of certain ideas when you've believed in them for so long. Like maybe it's the right path but I'm just doing it all wrong. Anyone feel the same?

I'm grateful to God I am generally in great health and look much younger than my age. But maybe that's just genetics and I would have been better off not subjecting myself to a way of eating that has given me a fatty liver :):
I get you. I was the fittest I have ever been in my life around 2012 or so. I was training hard and seeing results. As happens, life got in the way of that so I can't expect to be so fit anymore, and can't wholly blame Peating for that. Ultimately, maybe Peat either wasn't worried about, or didn't have to work on, his body composition. He looked quite lean when young, and by the time you're 70, I doubt it's a priority.

I was already doing paleo so all that "Peating" entailed at first was simply just allowing more sugar, adding milk back in, and kicking nuts out. From memory I already avoided seed oils then.

I do a fairly physical job in construction though, so would have expected to maintain leanness if not musculature. But it hasn't quite worked that way. @charlie has a similar tale I think.

It might be a case of "less is more" and just go back to paleo principles (Minus liver, if based on the way the forum has evolved)

Peatful

Last edited:

Peatful

He has said that many times although I do not remember exactly where. He said when he started taking thyroid his hyperthyroidism normalized.
Just posted GE 19

Iirc he ssid he was metabolically insufficient

At work
Thx

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just posted GE 19

At work
Thx
IIRC, he said he was hyperthyroid and he would go around the lab and literally get shocked by things because he was so hyperthyroid. This has been so long ago I heard it though so I might not be getting all the details correct.

Nick

Just posted GE 19

At work
Thx
IIRC, he said he was hyperthyroid and he would go around the lab and literally get shocked by things because he was so hyperthyroid. This has been so long ago I heard it though so I might not be getting all the details correct.
I've heard him talk about this several times, I believe one was in the On The Back of a Tiger interview footage he talked about how his metabolism was so high from wasteful anaerobic glycolisis (prior to thyroid supplementation) that he had strange effects on scientific instruments and in some sort of vapor filled chamber experiment he affected the water vapor in a way no one else did. I may be getting the details slightly wrong but it was something like that.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've heard him talk about this several times, I believe one was in the On The Back of a Tiger interview footage he talked about how his metabolism was so high from wasteful anaerobic glycolisis (prior to thyroid supplementation) that he had strange effects on scientific instruments and in some sort of vapor filled chamber experiment he affected the water vapor in a way no one else did.
Exactly.

Peater

I've heard him talk about this several times, I believe one was in the On The Back of a Tiger interview footage he talked about how his metabolism was so high from wasteful anaerobic glycolisis (prior to thyroid supplementation) that he had strange effects on scientific instruments and in some sort of vapor filled chamber experiment he affected the water vapor in a way no one else did. I may be getting the details slightly wrong but it was something like that.
Thanks for the details Nick. It's an interesting point too - his work focused on a "wasteful" metabolism (By approved medical dogma) that generates heat due to uncoupling, with a higher heart rate.

Contract with that millionaire dork trying to get his body temp and heart rate lower.

Nick

Thanks for the details Nick. It's an interesting point too - his work focused on a "wasteful" metabolism (By approved medical dogma) that generates heat due to uncoupling, with a higher heart rate.

Contract with that millionaire dork trying to get his body temp and heart rate lower.
Just to be clear, Peat was saying the wasteful anaerobic glycolisis metabolism was a negative thing and that when he took thyroid it increased the metabolic efficiency by improving oxidative phosphorylation and lowered his caloric requirement.

For sure the whole thing does hint that for whatever reason, his physiology may have always been a bit quirky, something that should maybe give one pause before trying too hard to emulate what Peat felt worked for him.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

brightside

@charlie Thoughts?

Libre Baskerville

Libre Baskerville.png

Marcellus
Marcellus.png

Merriweather

Merriweather.png

Last edited:

brightside

Generally, I don't think serif fonts work for logos, but it is a quote.

Only marcellus is sans, but it might be a bit much?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals