Has anyone quit caffeine entirely?

Warrior

No "He say..." or "She say..." citations needed in this thread, offering rhyme or reason for/against. Just wondering if there is anyone on here who is totally caffeine free?

If so what were your reasons for choosing this path? What differences you felt to your previous mode of consumption (and dosage sipped would be helpful) and how you feel without it? Are you happy with the decision? Would you recommend the option?

DBCoast

I did around 2.5 yrs ago. I felt much better. More relaxed. It’s a tough addiction to break for me. I’m quitting again soon. Going cold turkey. Tired of it.

Jennifer

No "He say..." or "She say..." citations needed in this thread, offering rhyme or reason for/against. Just wondering if there is anyone on here who is totally caffeine free?

If so what were your reasons for choosing this path? What differences you felt to your previous mode of consumption (and dosage sipped would be helpful) and how you feel without it? Are you happy with the decision? Would you recommend the option?

I’m totally caffeine free. The only caffeinated beverage I like is black tea, but it was staining my teeth so I stopped having it. I think of black tea as sunshine in a cup. It made me euphoric, and I had the best dreams while consuming it—very romantic in nature—and as long as I had it with a snack, I avoided the queasiness that some experience with tea. I was having 3 cups a day and would still be doing so if it didn’t stain my teeth. Now I get my sunshine in other ways.

LLight

:handpointup:
Caffeine free for a little bit more than 2 years. I eat chocolate though.
Less stress I believe, probably better sleep. Maybe I forgot the other improvements since it's a long time. Coffee is too addictive to me so I cannot experiment without risking being addicted with chronic caffeine usage again.
Nothing miraculous.

TheSir

As I've often written, I go to great lengths to avoid any ingestion of caffeine at all. It has ruined me more times than I can count. The things it promises and the consequences it comes with are similar to every other drug I have had to quit. The gradual onset of anxiety, anhedonia and mental illness are not worth it.

OP
Warrior

Warrior

That is very interesting and something I totally vibe with. Walk with me:

To me caffeine feels like noise in your nervous system. Its presence is exciting and it provides quite a nice buzz but the after effects hang around for quite some time and they're nowhere near as pleasant as they prevent a true return to baseline. Not only that but you end up redosing each day out of habit just in order to attain homeostasis so better to just remove it and enjoy the natural mellow vibes instead.

I think of black tea as sunshine in a cup. It made me euphoric

Can relate to that as the high is just sublime. If beautiful had a subjective sense this would be it as it certainly puts a pep in your step. The teeth thing is what stopped me as well as I could feel the difference after a few months of indulgence, no matter how well I cleaned them. May be psychological but I think not as it is slightly acidic. If you ever indulge again try it with L-Theanine for a wonderfully smooth, almost blissed out feathery edge.

Quite delicious and exceedingly synergistic.

I eat chocolate though.
Less stress I believe, probably better sleep.

Does the stimulant content of the chocolate make you buzz? Like a mild endorphin rush of feeling good. Agree with the sleep side as well as that was also a motivation behind making me quit as the nights didn't seem as refreshing due to the low level noise previously mentioned which I felt effects the quality of rest in ways very subtle, yet undoubtedly present.

The gradual onset of anxiety, anhedonia and mental illness are not worth it.

Wow, that sounds extreme. Have you previously fried your CNS or been some kind of heavy addict/under immense stress and running to the numbing embrace of various coping mechanisms?

Jennifer

If you ever indulge again try it with L-Theanine for a wonderfully smooth, almost blissed out feathery edge.
Lovely. I will. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

If so what were your reasons for choosing this path?
I don't metabolize caffeine fast enough and no matter what time of day I consume I stay awake all night. It makes me feel awful (manic) anyway, it has gotten worse as I have gotten older and I used to tolerate a cup of tea or two but no longer. Coffee was always too much for me. I have had very bad experiences with coffee that made me sick as a dog. Also the withdrawal headaches....heck with that crap.
What differences you felt to your previous mode of consumption (and dosage sipped would be helpful) and how you feel without it?
I used to drink several cups of green or black tea per day. Never was a regular caffeinated coffee drinker, however decaf is good.

I feel much better without it.
Are you happy with the decision? Would you recommend the option?
Yes! Caffeine is an addiction I don't want to deal with. I only would recommend stopping if you have problems.

OP
Warrior

Warrior

Not really I believe. But it is addictive too :D

Oh, for sure. Most fun things are it seems. I've never heard of anyone fiending for Brussel sprouts or Kale. At least, not actually meaning it and not faking the funk for likes...

Lovely. I will. Thank you for the suggestion. :)

Report back once you did and don't say I'm a bad influence for kickstarting your addictions again. It really is such a heady mix though, sharp and soft at the same time.

however decaf is good.

It is, I'd recommend looking into how its processed those as some of that stuff is straight up chemical laced when made and far worse in the long run than the real thing. The more expensive stuff isn't and it keeps a lot of the subtle flavor and taste.

On topic I really do think that anything that is pushed as hard as this substance is in the mainstream simply can't be all sunshine and rainbows. Its an immense addiction for some people who are pimping their adrenals at full steam ahead just to get through the day, feel tired, redose, have a crappy sleep, need another hit in the AM to get moving and then do it all again.

Great business model. Questionable health decision.

For example a lot of people who exhibit tension patterns in the neck or other cases of chronic pain and complain of having tried "Everything! None of it ever works. I've been to a herbalist, acupuncturist, done some stretching, drank more water, bought a fancy pillow and went for a massage as well" were absolutely astounded at how their symptoms vanished after kicking the caffeine to the kerb.

Well, that is after three days of hell as withdrawal kicked in but after that they commented on how different they felt in so many respects. Like I said a subtle noise, a background fuzz that irritates the nervous system on a low level which alternates with the euphoric joy of exhilaration when that first sip hits yours veins and causes the feelings of well being accelerated.

An addiction is just that, no matter how you frame it and this is, most definitely, an intriguing substance as its got its own ups and downs.

It is, I'd recommend looking into how its processed those as some of that stuff is straight up chemical laced when made and far worse in the long run than the real thing. The more expensive stuff isn't and it keeps a lot of the subtle flavor and taste.

this is my jam right here and they use the Swiss water process to decaffeinate--

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I quit drinking coffee to try to sleep better. I was only drinking one cup in the morning. My sleep is better but still not great. I have quit several times over the years and it is always nice to not have an addiction.

@Jennifer , My husband drinks only black tea and his teeth have always been very white and are still very white. It is a conundrum.

Jennifer

Report back once you did and don't say I'm a bad influence for kickstarting your addictions again. It really is such a heady mix though, sharp and soft at the same time.

Haha! No worries. I don’t get addicted. I stop things cold turkey all the time.

My husband drinks only black tea and his teeth have always been very white and are still very white. It is a conundrum.

Aww…lucky duck! I wonder why it stains my teeth then. Mine are squeaky clean so I know it’s not due to plaque. I’ll have to research it. It would be nice to include tea in my diet again.

bloooeh

I quit coffee for 1.5 months and switch to tea but that was a couple years ago. I felt headaches for couple days after quitting but I was fine after that. While I was on coffee I would get the jitters after drinking it. Idk if it was the beans that could be moldy(?) but I now avoid buying coffee or commercially roasted beans... Now I roast, grind, and drink half a liter of coffee a day with no jitters. My beans are always freshly roasted though!

akgrrrl

Haha! No worries. I don’t get addicted. I stop things cold turkey all the time.

Aww…lucky duck! I wonder why it stains my teeth then. Mine are squeaky clean so I know it’s not due to plaque. I’ll have to research it. It would be nice to include tea in my diet again.
I have a gf drinks coffee first half of the day she is 62 with unbelievable pearly whites. When I asked her how that can be she smiled and said "I use a straw"

akgrrrl

Who in their right mind would give up chocolate to avoid some bits of caffeine? not me! It thrills me shivers soon as it hits my tongue.

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing, @akgrrrl. :) I drink cold beverages with a straw, but like sipping hot beverages, especially tea and white chocolate. There's just something I find comforting about it. Maybe adding some milk to it will help prevent staining? Does milk bind tannins?

FitnessMike

yes, i realised, yet again, that it is not good for my state, it makes me go to toilet at night more, just not for now.

aniciete

I stopped drinking coffee for over 6 months. I tried it a couple weeks back and stayed awake for over 24 hours. Stopped and tried it again a couple days ago combined with lots of whole milk/sugar. Zero anxiety or sleep issues.

PopSocket

Been on and off throughout my life several times for years/coffee/. I feel a lot better without it or any sort of stimulants.

It is a moderately strong drug with some positive effects but mostly negative (for me especially). I cannot recommend anything to anyone but I would never use again unless I need some dirty jittery energy or I want to feel like ***t for awhile without understanding why ? Pushes the body artificially in a different direction from what the body wants to go, in my mind I cannot possibly imagine it is health promoting substance overall. Truly healthy people should not have the need for coffee. Might be useful for old people with poor metabolism though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals