Hiatus Hernia

Johhnyb

Hi everyone,

Diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2018 - not told I had it until a month or two ago!!!

I’ve posted previously about severe acid reflux and associated symptoms before but it now seems that a hiatus hernia makes so much sense and correlates to my symptoms.

The doctors seem reluctant to do anything with it and instead are trying to manage it with PPIs which I won’t be taking for obvious reasons, and despite a negative H.Pylori test a few years ago, seem set on testing again for it.

I’m not aware of anything mentioned on this forum previously about how to deal with this from a Peat perspective, so thought I’d make a post and invite anyone to make some suggestions?

Mohraya

Hi everyone,

Diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2018 - not told I had it until a month or two ago!!!

I’ve posted previously about severe acid reflux and associated symptoms before but it now seems that a hiatus hernia makes so much sense and correlates to my symptoms.

The doctors seem reluctant to do anything with it and instead are trying to manage it with PPIs which I won’t be taking for obvious reasons, and despite a negative H.Pylori test a few years ago, seem set on testing again for it.

I’m not aware of anything mentioned on this forum previously about how to deal with this from a Peat perspective, so thought I’d make a post and invite anyone to make some suggestions?
Hi ! I have the same but i have been diagnosed with h pylori too. What are your symptoms ?

mostlylurking

Hi everyone,

for your consideration:

Poor functioning of the hiatus can be caused by a thiamine deficiency. Low stomach acid can also be caused by a thiamine deficiency.

OP
J

Johhnyb

Poor functioning of the hiatus can be caused by a thiamine deficiency. Low stomach acid can also be caused by a thiamine deficiency.
Yeah definitely. I had some thiamine, Niacinamide and aspirin and felt great. Missed taking a few days and my partner threw them out by mistake, haven’t reordered for a while. Might have to make it a priority.

Symptoms are obviously really bad acid reflux to the point of throwing up. The acid does ‘feel’ like it originates from the stomach but feels more like a burning across my lower chest.

Inability to burp, farting, fatty stools, low energy… could go on with symptoms but their all fairly typical

trinity

A link to this article (below) has been posted before somewhere in the forum. Some excellent information that may be helpful. Lots of references to studies.

mostlylurking

Yeah definitely. I had some thiamine, Niacinamide and aspirin and felt great. Missed taking a few days and my partner threw them out by mistake, haven’t reordered for a while. Might have to make it a priority.

Symptoms are obviously really bad acid reflux to the point of throwing up. The acid does ‘feel’ like it originates from the stomach but feels more like a burning across my lower chest.

Inability to burp, farting, fatty stools, low energy… could go on with symptoms but their all fairly typical
You might consider reading about the various potential symptoms of beriberi. Thiamine deficiency is extremely common and the symptoms vary from person to person a lot. Progressively worsening of symptoms can be life threatening. I lived with a thiamine deficiency for many years which (I believe) originated early in my life from mercury amalgam fillings + a diet high in polyunsaturated fats. My situation became critical when I was prescribed Bactrim antibiotic.

OP
J

Johhnyb

You might consider reading about the various potential symptoms of beriberi. Thiamine deficiency is extremely common and the symptoms vary from person to person a lot. Progressively worsening of symptoms can be life threatening. I lived with a thiamine deficiency for many years which (I believe) originated early in my life from mercury amalgam fillings + a diet high in polyunsaturated fats. My situation became critical when I was prescribed Bactrim antibiotic.
Absolutely! In my quest to find the cause of my symptoms I had gone down that rabbit hole, which is what prompted me to get the thiamine initially. I absolutely believe there is still a deficiency there, which mainly manifests itself after alcohol consumption, mainly beer (only really drink beer/whiskey).

I suppose what I’m asking with this thread is that is there a way, without surgery, to help solve the issue, some way to allow the stomach to recede below the hiatus and then strengthen the hiatus to prevent it from occurring again. Trinity’s post referencing collagen is interesting and I’ll give that some good thought and exploration.

zorba990

My advice, use ginger in the following way:
Get the raw, organic root. Cut a thumbnail size piece and chew whenever symptomatic.
If the root seems too hot then spit it out, it's already done it's job. Otherwise swallow the chewed piece.
The reason for this method is that ginger varys in heat quite a bit, even as the root ages (possibly due to water loss in the root).
You won't know the heat is too high for you if you take pills or mix syrup or root with something else.
The effect is fairly rapid and is facilitated by a long walk with deep abdominal breathing.
The stomach will drop back into place. Chios Mastiha Tears (mastic gum plain) used in conjunction with ginger will help --
you should chew the mastic as the natives always did because the bad bacterial populations in your teeth and gums (which may be a source for all of this) will be reduced as well as in your stomach and upper intestines. Belching from using the magic gum is a sign you need in my opinion.
Be well. 2024 is your year and you will solve this!

mostlylurking

Absolutely! In my quest to find the cause of my symptoms I had gone down that rabbit hole, which is what prompted me to get the thiamine initially. I absolutely believe there is still a deficiency there, which mainly manifests itself after alcohol consumption, mainly beer (only really drink beer/whiskey).

I suppose what I’m asking with this thread is that is there a way, without surgery, to help solve the issue, some way to allow the stomach to recede below the hiatus and then strengthen the hiatus to prevent it from occurring again. Trinity’s post referencing collagen is interesting and I’ll give that some good thought and exploration.
Normalizing cellular function via high dose thiamine comes to mind.... which thiamine did you get? What dose did you take? How long did you take it? Drinking any alcohol would simply cancel it out.

Drinking alcohol is really really really not good. Really.

OP
J

Johhnyb

My advice, use ginger in the following way:
Get the raw, organic root. Cut a thumbnail size piece and chew whenever symptomatic.
If the root seems too hot then spit it out, it's already done it's job. Otherwise swallow the chewed piece.
The reason for this method is that ginger varys in heat quite a bit, even as the root ages (possibly due to water loss in the root).
You won't know the heat is too high for you if you take pills or mix syrup or root with something else.
The effect is fairly rapid and is facilitated by a long walk with deep abdominal breathing.
The stomach will drop back into place. Chios Mastiha Tears (mastic gum plain) used in conjunction with ginger will help --
you should chew the mastic as the natives always did because the bad bacterial populations in your teeth and gums (which may be a source for all of this) will be reduced as well as in your stomach and upper intestines. Belching from using the magic gum is a sign you need in my opinion.
Be well. 2024 is your year and you will solve this!
Interesting. I don’t really consume a whole lot of ginger, and when I do it’s usually in a curry, and therefore spicy which doesn’t help the symptoms overall. But worth trying!

With regards to the mastic gum, really don’t know much about it but if you’re saying that it works due to sorting out bacteria in the mouth - one of the symptoms I managed to get under control was horrific diarrhoea using CamphoSal.
Normalizing cellular function via high dose thiamine comes to mind.... which thiamine did you get? What dose did you take? How long did you take it? Drinking any alcohol would simply cancel it out.

Drinking alcohol is really really really not good. Really.
Thiamine HCL. I can’t remember exact dose other than it was intentionally high but not excessive. Consistently taken for approx 6 months.

I know, I’m human though and whiskey with a cigar is my (occasional) treat.

OP
J

Johhnyb

What do you consider "high"? What do you consider "excessive"?
I usually keep notes on what I take but I can’t seem to find the thiamine one- I want to say (as a best guess) it was approx 100mg thiamine HCL, 300mg Niacinamide and 300mg salicylic acid.

I would say that is a high thiamine dosage but not excessive. I am by no means an expert on this though.

mostlylurking

I usually keep notes on what I take but I can’t seem to find the thiamine one- I want to say (as a best guess) it was approx 100mg thiamine HCL, 300mg Niacinamide and 300mg salicylic acid.

I would say that is a high thiamine dosage but not excessive. I am by no means an expert on this though.
That is an extremely low dose of oral thiamine hcl. This type of thiamine has a very poor absorption rate through the intestinal wall when taken orally. When reading studies about thiamine hcl, it is usually given by injection. Dr. Costantini's website has some information about thiamine hcl taken by injection vs thiamine hcl taken orally. I've experienced great benefit from taking thiamine hcl orally, but I'm taking 1 gram, 2Xday, always taken with water only, as taking it with juice etc cancels out the thiamine.

Here's some information about the various types of thiamine:

mostlylurking

Once a month
Suit yourself.

From a more distant perspective, it is problematic. As a person ages, poisons and toxins accumulate in the body. The body can only take so much abuse. If you are having health issues, it is wise to reduce all toxin exposure.

But it's your body.

Beatrix_

I have 100% reversed hiatal hernia, GERD, esophagitis, gastritis and ulcer by abstaining from gluten (that includes beer), milk, yogurt and alcoholic beverages in general (a little gin every now and then seems ok).

Not that these foods were the cause of the problems, but mainly due to adrenal fatigue which made my immune system intolerant to those foods.

mostlylurking

I have 100% reversed hiatal hernia, GERD, esophagitis, gastritis and ulcer by abstaining from gluten (that includes beer), milk, yogurt and alcoholic beverages in general (a little gin every now and then seems ok).

Not that these foods were the cause of the problems, but mainly due to adrenal fatigue which made my immune system intolerant to those foods.
I cured my strong gluten sensitivity via high dose thiamine hcl. My own theory was that the thiamine (+magnesium) healed my gut but you may be more correct in that the thiamine probably pulled the load off of my adrenals by lowering my oxidative stress. I used to be almost universally reactive to foods and chemicals but no longer seem to have that problem.

Beatrix_

I cured my strong gluten sensitivity via high dose thiamine hcl. My own theory was that the thiamine (+magnesium) healed my gut but you may be more correct in that the thiamine probably pulled the load off of my adrenals by lowering my oxidative stress. I used to be almost universally reactive to foods and chemicals but no longer seem to have that problem.
Would you be so kind to tag me on a thiamine thread so I can make you some questions?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals