How prolactin causes hair loss

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

i could send you 10 studies saying taurine either has no effect or increases prolactin
Okay but then it better be 10 :D

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I noticed that taking black cumin seeds is very effective for decreasing my hair loss. I use mostly the seeds but today I tried the oil directly on my hair and it makes it really soft too.
I also used the excess oil on my face and my skin is insanely smooth now. It increases tanning / melanin (Nigella sativa seed extract and its bioactive compound thymoquinone: the new melanogens causing hyperpigmentation in the wall lizard melanophores - PubMed)

Black cumin seems to lower prolactin quite effectively, almost as good as bromocriptine in this study!
Screenshot_20230523-201107~2.png

- https://www.veterinarypaper.com/pdf/2018/vol3issue4/PartA/3-3-11-284.pdf

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

PhilParma

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I was under the impression that PGE2 is supposed to be good for hair growth. PGD2 bad, PGE2 good; in theory.
Oh yeah you're right . Then that theory is out the window.

gd81

Lisuride is good for the fibrosis in hairloss as well as lowering prolactin. Nobody mentioning thyroid though

1684938711239.jpeg

1684938731912.png

1684938940008.png

golder

I noticed that taking black cumin seeds is very effective for decreasing my hair loss. I use mostly the seeds but today I tried the oil directly on my hair and it makes it really soft too.
I also used the excess oil on my face and my skin is insanely smooth now. It increases tanning / melanin (Nigella sativa seed extract and its bioactive compound thymoquinone: the new melanogens causing hyperpigmentation in the wall lizard melanophores - PubMed)

Black cumin seems to lower prolactin quite effectively, almost as good as bromocriptine in this study!
View attachment 50668

- https://www.veterinarypaper.com/pdf/2018/vol3issue4/PartA/3-3-11-284.pdf
Great find!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Jamsey

Local hair follicle prolactin receptor expression is not controlled by circulating prolactin, and is not affected by central dopamine agonists or dopamine. While lowering prolactin will help hair loss, it is more of a bandaid as the prolactin receptor expression in hair follicles remains elevated. This receptor expression is primarily controlled by interferon gamma.

“The very same research study identified the proinflammatory cytokines, IFNγ and TNFα, as regulators of PRL expression in HFs. Interestingly, dopamine, known as an inhibitor of PRL pituitary secretions, has no effect on PRL or PRL-R expression in human HFs [22]”

“Interferon (IFN) γ increased PRL IR in the epithelium of human HFs”

This is one reason why topical cyclosporine works so well.
Parodi, A. "Topical cyclosporine in alopecia areata." Archives of dermatology (1987)
View attachment 8300 View attachment 8302 View attachment 8303 View attachment 8304click to embiggen

golder

Local hair follicle prolactin receptor expression is not controlled by circulating prolactin, and is not affected by central dopamine agonists or dopamine. While lowering prolactin will help hair loss, it is more of a bandaid as the prolactin receptor expression in hair follicles remains elevated. This receptor expression is primarily controlled by interferon gamma.

“The very same research study identified the proinflammatory cytokines, IFNγ and TNFα, as regulators of PRL expression in HFs. Interestingly, dopamine, known as an inhibitor of PRL pituitary secretions, has no effect on PRL or PRL-R expression in human HFs [22]”

Very useful post. Is there anything we could potentially try with this in kind with a better safety profile than cyclosporine?

Jamsey

Very useful post. Is there anything we could potentially try with this in kind with a better safety profile than cyclosporine?
Cyclosporine is definitely the most effective and has the best evidence. But besides that, tanshinones from Salvia militorrhiza might have promise.

But, in general, I’m skeptical of herbal supplements so take it with a grain of salt. And I generally believe it’s the environment of the balding scalp that encourages microbial growth and therefore activates the immune system and interferon gamma, so maybe suppressing this reaction isn’t the greatest move.

gd81

I'm not convinced given a) everything Ray has said about receptor theory and b) it's a petri dish study

Bupropion is TNFα antagonist but one of the worst antidepressants for causing hairloss

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks for sharing .
That would support the endotoxin-hairloss connection, since endotxin is one of the biggest drivers of inflammatory cytokines.
So Endotoxin would cause an increase in cytokines and nitric oxide ,which would stimulate inflammation and prolactin release in the scalp (and everywhere else), which would lead to hair loss.

To me there's no doubt that there's a strong connection between gut health and hair loss. I think the hormonal component is secondary to that .

EvanHinkle

Yep, I could see it. Thanks for the post.
Thanks for sharing .
That would support the endotoxin-hairloss connection, since endotxin is one of the biggest drivers of inflammatory cytokines.
So Endotoxin would cause an increase in cytokines and nitric oxide ,which would stimulate inflammation and prolactin release in the scalp (and everywhere else), which would lead to hair loss.

To me there's no doubt that there's a strong connection between gut health and hair loss. I think the hormonal component is secondary to that .
I think the hormonal component is a direct result of the bacterial infection/endotoxin, (maybe you were implying this, if so, sorry for being redundant).

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Yep, I could see it. Thanks for the post.

I think the hormonal component is a direct result of the bacterial infection/endotoxin, (maybe you were implying this, if so, sorry for being redundant).
Yes that's exactly what I meant.

Jamsey

Thanks for sharing .

I believe that gut health strongly influences hair loss, but I hesitate in believing it is the cause. If gut stimulated inflammation and prolactin release caused hair loss, it feels likely that this hair loss would be occurring everywhere on the body. But that doesn’t seem to be the case for most balding or hair loss. So, to me, there has to be a factor that is specific to the scalp, or head region which is causing or accelerating the damage caused by this gut hormone axis. The local prolactin receptor expression being stimulated by interferon gamma is a clue to the local process occurring, which to me indicates that the immune system is fighting something in the scalp. Now, I don’t think the solution to this is necessarily throwing every anti microbial at it, but I do think investigating why the scalp in balding men is supporting this growth might have promise.

golder

I believe that gut health strongly influences hair loss, but I hesitate in believing it is the cause. If gut stimulated inflammation and prolactin release caused hair loss, it feels likely that this hair loss would be occurring everywhere on the body. But that doesn’t seem to be the case for most balding or hair loss. So, to me, there has to be a factor that is specific to the scalp, or head region which is causing or accelerating the damage caused by this gut hormone axis. The local prolactin receptor expression being stimulated by interferon gamma is a clue to the local process occurring, which to me indicates that the immune system is fighting something in the scalp. Now, I don’t think the solution to this is necessarily throwing every anti microbial at it, but I do think investigating why the scalp in balding men is supporting this growth might have promise.

Good point RE no loss of body hair. Do you think some level of antimicrobial action would be worth doing for the scalp? If so, where do you think would be good to start?

Mephisto

Please oh please stop repeating these statements, women do get male pattern baldness! Certainly not the majority, but many do, and I have, since I was 16. I've had hair transplanted from the nape area to the top of my head, why do these follicles survive the trauma of transplant and a new environment as the original top follicles continue to waste and wane? Protective hormones such as progesterone can't quite answer this bizarre phenomenon.
the majority of the women on the hairloss sub on reddit say they have andoregenic alopecia/mpb so it's definitely more common than people think

golder

Something like this perhaps?

Attachments

• 227C9E8E-8DF2-42C0-A2E5-0E408BB503EA.png
    227C9E8E-8DF2-42C0-A2E5-0E408BB503EA.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 39
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals