How to cure Ulcerative Colitis (IBD)

Xin

Hi everyone,

Could you please help me figure out how to resolve ulcerative colitis?

Diet helped me avoid biologic but there's still inflammation and symptoms.

Things that I've tried:
-Carnivore diet (helped reduce symptoms but no energy)
-Animal based diet with white rice and honey (reduced symptoms with energy but no complete remission)
-Helminthic therapy is (2+ years, no effect)
-Low dose Naltrexone (does impact my sleep but not my AI)

Also, sleep, stress and lifestyle factors are under control and optimized.

I don't do well with raw milk and dairy unfortunately + raw milk is illegal here in Canada, also sugar makes things worse.

I'm all ears and ready to try any suggestions ?it's been a hell of a ride!

Thanks in advance

Enemas of vitamin E resolved it in a study.

AIM: To investigate the anti-oxidant and anti-neutrophil recruitment effects of rectal d-alpha (d-α) tocopherol administration on mild and moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC).

METHODS: Fifteen patients with mild and moderately active ulcerative colitis were enrolled in an open-label study of d-α tocopherol enema (8000 U/d) for 12 wk. All patients were receiving concomitant therapy with 5-aminosalicylic acid derivatives (5-ASA) and/or immunomodulator medications. Endoscopic evaluation was performed at baseline and after 4th and 12th weeks. Disease activity was measured with the Mayo disease activity index (DAI) and remission was defined as DAI of ≤ 2 with no blood in stool. Clinical response was defined as a DAI reduction of ≥ 2.

RESULTS: At the end of 12th week, the average DAI score significantly decreased compared to the beginning of the study (2.3 ± 0.37 vs 8 ± 0.48, P < 0.0001). One patient was withdrawn after 3 wk for being unavailable to follow-up. On the 4th week of therapy, 12 patients showed clinical response, 3 of whom (21.4%) achieving remission. After 12 wk, all 14 patients responded clinically to the therapy and remission was induced in 9 of them (64%). No patient reported adverse events or was hospitalized due to worsened disease activity.

CONCLUSION: This preliminary report suggests that rectal d-α tocopherol may represent a novel therapy for mild and moderately active UC. The observed results might be due to the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties of vitamin E.

OP
X

Xin

Enemas of vitamin E resolved it in a study.

AIM: To investigate the anti-oxidant and anti-neutrophil recruitment effects of rectal d-alpha (d-α) tocopherol administration on mild and moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC).

METHODS: Fifteen patients with mild and moderately active ulcerative colitis were enrolled in an open-label study of d-α tocopherol enema (8000 U/d) for 12 wk. All patients were receiving concomitant therapy with 5-aminosalicylic acid derivatives (5-ASA) and/or immunomodulator medications. Endoscopic evaluation was performed at baseline and after 4th and 12th weeks. Disease activity was measured with the Mayo disease activity index (DAI) and remission was defined as DAI of ≤ 2 with no blood in stool. Clinical response was defined as a DAI reduction of ≥ 2.

RESULTS: At the end of 12th week, the average DAI score significantly decreased compared to the beginning of the study (2.3 ± 0.37 vs 8 ± 0.48, P < 0.0001). One patient was withdrawn after 3 wk for being unavailable to follow-up. On the 4th week of therapy, 12 patients showed clinical response, 3 of whom (21.4%) achieving remission. After 12 wk, all 14 patients responded clinically to the therapy and remission was induced in 9 of them (64%). No patient reported adverse events or was hospitalized due to worsened disease activity.

CONCLUSION: This preliminary report suggests that rectal d-α tocopherol may represent a novel therapy for mild and moderately active UC. The observed results might be due to the anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidative properties of vitamin E.
Thank you, I'll look into this.

Other than managing symptoms, I haven't find anything on the true root cause of autoimmune diseases, vitamin e much like 5-ASA are only controlling the symptoms.

Rasaari

1. No starch diet, only sugars. No fiber neither. Starch that doesn't digest feeds the most inflammatory bacteria, which are highly present in people with IBD diseases.
2. A/D balance are important for mucosal immunity and inflammation, and lots of other things K2 and E to balance. Get calcium supplementary if milk doesnt work. High doses of B1&B3 are very beneficial, B1 has been shown to reduce fatigue in crohns people, and it is important for everything digestion. B3 is anti-inflammatory, necessary for NAD, which is depleted in inflammatory states also reduces FFA.
3. Improving thyroid metabolism. Good metabolism is necessary for everything, but in this case specifically it helps digestion and makes one more resistant to infection and inflammation.
4. Progesterone, its benefit comes from it being an anti-estrogen, anti-stress, anti-inflammatory a general stabilizer. All inflammatory conditions have excess estrogen in the cells. IBD (and probably many others) are actually immunodeficiencies, and cortisol and estrogen are the biggest violaters.
5. Antibacterials can be helpful, a lot of the stress and inflammation is driven by bacteria (and fungi) and relieving with something like camphosal would be helpful. I DO NOT recommend you take antibiotics if you don't know what you are doing, easy way to get to hospital. I recommend camphosal because it is very safe, broad spectrum and reduces bacteria and fungi, very hard to hurt yourself with it. But there are other safe natural antibacterials. Carrot salad is good staple to moving bacterial toxins out. Some activated charcoal could be very helpful occasionally too. It binds to the toxins very effectively. Mixing it with juice helps with the transit. Bacteria are behind the milk intolerance.
6. Methylene blue and some aspirin. Mb has some antibacterial and antifungal benefits, but its main benefit is reducing NO, which is elevated in inflammatory conditions, NO is inflammatory and antimetabolic, also reduces intestinal transit which again is very important. Many of the inflammations are driven by eicosanoids, which aspirin inhibits. Aspirin is one of the best multitools there is, thats just a one point. Cant spend whole day talking about the benefits of aspirin. Starting low and mixing it with hot water and baking soda is good way to reduce its irritation beginners might get.
7. Ketotifen has a few studies halting/inducin remission in colitis patients. Georgi likes it too for ibd.
8. Anti-serotonin chemicals like cyproheptadine or 10 methoxy harmalan are very good. A little famotidine can be helpful in times of intestinal stress.

Anyway thats probably enough for today

Vinnie06

I also have a question re UC. i have been on Remicade for 6 months and now feel fine and i am very keen to stop but the doctors are using fear tactics to keep me on it citing other patients who have stopped in the past and have had bad flare ups leading to forced colon removal surgery.

Ideally i would like to stop the remicade and continue with a morning and evening mesalazine tablet and eventually come off that as well. My thinking is to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy to see whether the intestinal situation is indeed better and use that as leverage with the doctors.

Are there any tests or biomarkers i could check as to whether the UC is healed and/or in remission? Any other advice from those who have refused biologics and cured themselves? Many thanks in advance.

OP
X

Xin

Do you know your current vitamin D level?
Unfortunately, blood tests need a prescription where I live and both, my generalist and gastro refused to give me a prescription. They're only checking CRP, Ferritin levels, and Calprotectin. I'm 100% certain that I'm deficient in vitamin D.
1. No starch diet, only sugars. No fiber neither. Starch that doesn't digest feeds the most inflammatory bacteria, which are highly present in people with IBD diseases.
2. A/D balance are important for mucosal immunity and inflammation, and lots of other things K2 and E to balance. Get calcium supplementary if milk doesnt work. High doses of B1&B3 are very beneficial, B1 has been shown to reduce fatigue in crohns people, and it is important for everything digestion. B3 is anti-inflammatory, necessary for NAD, which is depleted in inflammatory states also reduces FFA.
3. Improving thyroid metabolism. Good metabolism is necessary for everything, but in this case specifically it helps digestion and makes one more resistant to infection and inflammation.
4. Progesterone, its benefit comes from it being an anti-estrogen, anti-stress, anti-inflammatory a general stabilizer. All inflammatory conditions have excess estrogen in the cells. IBD (and probably many others) are actually immunodeficiencies, and cortisol and estrogen are the biggest violaters.
5. Antibacterials can be helpful, a lot of the stress and inflammation is driven by bacteria (and fungi) and relieving with something like camphosal would be helpful. I DO NOT recommend you take antibiotics if you don't know what you are doing, easy way to get to hospital. I recommend camphosal because it is very safe, broad spectrum and reduces bacteria and fungi, very hard to hurt yourself with it. But there are other safe natural antibacterials. Carrot salad is good staple to moving bacterial toxins out. Some activated charcoal could be very helpful occasionally too. It binds to the toxins very effectively. Mixing it with juice helps with the transit. Bacteria are behind the milk intolerance.
6. Methylene blue and some aspirin. Mb has some antibacterial and antifungal benefits, but its main benefit is reducing NO, which is elevated in inflammatory conditions, NO is inflammatory and antimetabolic, also reduces intestinal transit which again is very important. Many of the inflammations are driven by eicosanoids, which aspirin inhibits. Aspirin is one of the best multitools there is, thats just a one point. Cant spend whole day talking about the benefits of aspirin. Starting low and mixing it with hot water and baking soda is good way to reduce its irritation beginners might get.
7. Ketotifen has a few studies halting/inducin remission in colitis patients. Georgi likes it too for ibd.
8. Anti-serotonin chemicals like cyproheptadine or 10 methoxy harmalan are very good. A little famotidine can be helpful in times of intestinal stress.

Thank you very much Rasaari for your response,

I'll do in-depth research on all the points that you mentioned. I can already see things that I'm currently doing which are making things worst. I appreciate you for taking your time. Thanks again

OP
X

Xin

I also have a question re UC. i have been on Remicade for 6 months and now feel fine and i am very keen to stop but the doctors are using fear tactics to keep me on it citing other patients who have stopped in the past and have had bad flare ups leading to forced colon removal surgery.

Ideally i would like to stop the remicade and continue with a morning and evening mesalazine tablet and eventually come off that as well. My thinking is to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy to see whether the intestinal situation is indeed better and use that as leverage with the doctors.

Are there any tests or biomarkers i could check as to whether the UC is healed and/or in remission? Any other advice from those who have refused biologics and cured themselves? Many thanks in advance.
A few years ago, I was on mesalamine, suppository, and enema. Everything was fine but after a while, It stopped working, I had a severe flare and 30cm inflammation. My CRP levels were through the roof. My GI insisted on getting me on biologics (Humera or Entyvio) but this is a line that I'm not willing to cross. The short and long terms side effects of biologics are not worth it to me. My mind is set on having my colon removed (ileostomy) if nothing works.

I'm no longer flaring to the point that I need to go to the hospital thanks to a strict diet and lifestyle BUT I do get flares that can last 3-4 months once every 1.5-2 years which is why I'm wondering what could be done to get over with it since diet alone is not enough to achieve permanent remission.

As for tests, CRP and Calprotectin.

aliml

The Th17 cytokines are highly expressed in the intestinal mucosa of IBD patients, actually The Th17 cells are overactive in IBD.

Factors that Inhibit Th17 Cytokines (Lower Th17 Cells):

Lifestyle

Diet

Nutrients

Supplements

Hormones and Neurotransmitters​

Drugs​

Andman

have you tried simple glycine powder? literally saved my behind a while back

LLight

I would try supplementing boron and betaine, and do intermittent dry fasting.

I can explain why I think that it could help if you are interested.

youngsinatra

Try get a vitamin D blood tsst, even if you need to pay for it - It‘s that way almost everywhere around the globe unfortunately. But it‘s like 20€ in germany, so worth it.

I think getting it up to 60-100 ng/ml range would be highly therapeutic for colitis.

youngsinatra

And please be careful with retinol / vitamin A supplementation. I will never touch this stuff again, because toxicity is real and food has plenty in it already.

youngsinatra

The Th17 cytokines are highly expressed in the intestinal mucosa of IBD patients, actually The Th17 cells are overactive in IBD.

Factors that Inhibit Th17 Cytokines (Lower Th17 Cells):

Lifestyle

Diet

Nutrients

Supplements

Hormones and Neurotransmitters​

Drugs​

Thanks for the info. Do you have the selfhacked membership?

Ray Peat allegedly cured his colitis with lidocaine.

QUOTE Ray Peat:
I had constantly bleeding colitis for more than a year, and when I took about 20 to 30 mg of lidocaine (in a 2% solution meant for oral, dental use) the symptoms stopped and haven’t returned in more than 30 years

Search the forum to find out more about it.

LLight

More intrications between osmolarity, transcription factors, bile acids and immune system:

"We also demonstrated for the first time that tonicity-responsive enhancer binding protein (TonEBP), the master regulator of osmoprotective response, regulates XBP1 expression. Thus, XBP1 acts as an osmoprotective protein since it is activated by high osmolarity and upregulates lipid metabolism, membranes generation and the restoration of ER homeostasis."​
"FXR signaling activates the IRE1α/XBP1 pathway in vivo and in vitro. FXR pathway activation increases XBP1 splicing and enhances p-IRE1α expression. These effects are mediated, at least in part, by SHP. IRE1α/XBP1 pathway activation by bile acids and pharmacological FXR agonists may be protective during liver injury and may have therapeutic implications for liver diseases."​
"The unfolded protein response (UPR) is an adaptive response to endoplasmic reticulum stress and the inositol-requiring enzyme 1α/X-box binding protein 1 (IRE1α/XBP1) pathway of the UPR is important in lipid metabolism. However, its role in bile acid metabolism remains unknown. We demonstrate that liver-specific Xbp1 knockout (LS-Xbp1−/−) mice had a 45% reduction in total bile acid pool."​
"In conclusion, loss of hepatic XBP1 decreased the bile acid pool and CYP7A1 synthetic activity. Cholesterol feeding, but not induction of CYP7A1 with cholestyramine, increased CYP7A1 synthetic activity and corrected the genotype-specific total bile acid pools. These data demonstrate a novel role of IRE1α/XBP1 regulating bile acid metabolism."​
"Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), which together comprise IBD, are believed to result from an aberrant immune response to commensal gut microbes, leading to chronic intestinal inflammation. Compared to healthy controls, we observed that NFAT5 mRNA expression was significantly reduced in patients with active UC and CD (Fig. 7), raising the possibility that NFAT5 and other components of the osmoadaptation pathway may be dysregulated in IBD."​
"FXR activation in the ileum is decreased in patients with Crohn's colitis. This may be secondary to altered enterohepatic circulation of bile salts or transrepression by inflammatory signals but does not seem to be caused by the studied SNPs in FXR. Increasing FXR activity by synthetic FXR agonists may have benefit in CD patients."​
"In summary, the induction of ER stress in intestinal epithelium through genetic deletion of XBP1 leads to spontaneous IBD. XBP1 controls organ-specific inflammation through two major mechanisms. First, Paneth cell function, as evidenced by diminished antimicrobial peptide secretion, was strikingly impaired in XBP12/2 mice, compromising the response to pathogenic bacteria. Second, XBP1 deletion-induced ER stress led to a heightened pro-inflammatory tone of the epithelium, as revealed by increased JNK activation upon stimulation with known inducers (flagellin, TNFa) of IBD. These two mechanisms are probably co-dependent, interactive and co-amplifying because Paneth cell dysfunction would be predicted to promote intestinal inflammation by enhanced JNK signalling in hypersensitive intestinal epithelial cells upon increased exposure to bacterial antigens such as flagellin. XBP1 thus unifies two key aspects of IBD: regulation of the intestinal microbiota and the inflammatory state of the mucosal immune system. Future experiments will be directed at testing the hypothesis that one can extrapolate this scenario to other autoimmune/proinflammatory diseases"​

Summary:
  • TonEBP/NFAT5 and FXR seem to activate the XBP1 which itself could stimulate bile acids production and increase the immune system response (production of antimicrobial peptides).
  • TonEBP/NFAT5 and FXR could be downregulated in IBD, and XBP1 could be the reason for this link.
Intermittent dry fasting might help increasing TonEBP/NFAT5 and FXR.

mostlylurking

Hi everyone,

Could you please help me figure out how to resolve ulcerative colitis?

Diet helped me avoid biologic but there's still inflammation and symptoms.

Things that I've tried:
-Carnivore diet (helped reduce symptoms but no energy)
-Animal based diet with white rice and honey (reduced symptoms with energy but no complete remission)
-Helminthic therapy is (2+ years, no effect)
-Low dose Naltrexone (does impact my sleep but not my AI)

Also, sleep, stress and lifestyle factors are under control and optimized.

I don't do well with raw milk and dairy unfortunately + raw milk is illegal here in Canada, also sugar makes things worse.

I'm all ears and ready to try any suggestions ?it's been a hell of a ride!

Thanks in advance
There's quite a bit of research on vitamin B1 (thiamine) helping IBD.

There are 12 articles that cited this one listed below the article.

also: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

I suffered with IBD for many years. I take high dose thiamine hcl now. I no longer have issues with my gut so long as I stick to my diet. Eating things like chili & beans still mess me up. So I think diet is key and thiamine + magnesium are very important. I'm hypothyroid and take NDT (prescription) too.

Vins7

S

So, do you think that the best carb sources for people with digestive issues are juices with no fiber, sugar, milk and honey (no starch, no fiber)?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals