Is coffee killing us?

Rish

I think caffeine is affecting women more than we have been led to believe. It may have caused my cortisol issues. I’m currently trying to find more studies showing the negative effects of caffeine if anyone has more to share.

Aspekt

Bunch of spurious, unobjective claims in this article. If there are legitimate concerns with cofffee I doubt this author is going to shed much light

mosaic01

View: https://odysee.com/@JasonChristoff:7/coffee-makes-you-dumb-and-sick:5

He also has a video on it. Good thoughts. Look into the reports on r/decaf and how the experiences are similar to people going on a low vitamin A diet and the timeframes for healing are similar (1-2 years).

Once you stop all caffeine, especially coffee, you slowly start to realize that the entire culture is based on it and that this culture is going down the drain quickly. By probably blocking the liver's detoxification, coffee keeps people trapped in accumulating more and more toxins, especially retinol. Together with a toxic lifestyle, it keeps people trapped in a chronic activation of the fight or flight system.

Caffeine and coffee are pushed everywhere and coffee is now the most used drug worldwide, while smoking is suppressed, tobacco being the only social drug that actually enhances thinking and awareness.

I had a single cup of organic decaf coffee after a month without caffeine and even that led to cold hands and feet, and on the next day I had a panic attack. There's something to coffee beyond caffeine.

Last edited:

Sitaruîm

I think the author of that article in the OP is a clown, and quite pathetic. But let's play the devil's advocate and, together, put forward a more serious critique of coffee/caffeine. Here's a study I found when searching for caffeine and brain blood flow.

Here, logVWMH is the logarithm of the volume of WMH, which is a type of white matter brain lesion.

"Higher cumulative lifetime coffee consumption was associated with higher logVWMH in both sexes (p = 0.030). The participants who consumed more than 2 cups of coffee per day on average in their lifetime showed higher logVWMH in late life than those who consumed less. When both sexes were analyzed separately, these coffee-logVWMH associations were found only in women, although the volumes of brain and white matter of women were smaller than those of men. Our findings suggest that prolonged high coffee consumption may be associated with the risk of WMH in late life."

Peatful

Wouldn’t it be our livers are the issue and not the coffee?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, coffee is toxic.

GreekDemiGod

I had a single cup of organic decaf coffee after a month without caffeine and even that led to cold hands and feet, and on the next day I had a panic attack. There's something to coffee beyond caffeine.
You folks are making your bodies more fragile and hypothyroid then blame coffee, vitamin A for your problems. Weaklings.
The whole VA poison theore has been debunked in a Twitter thread a couple of months back.

GTW

Amusing collection of logical fallacies.
The one word refuting this is hormesis. Many essential dietary substances are hormetic. Selenium, iodine, sodium, water, to name a few.
As Paracelsus identified 500 years ago, dose, host, timing and combination make a poison and a cure.

Apple

Amusing collection of logical fallacies.
The one word refuting this is hormesis. Many essential dietary substances are hormetic. Selenium, iodine, sodium, water, to name a few.
As Paracelsus identified 500 years ago, dose, host, timing and combination make a poison and a cure.
many of those claims in the article can be true...I find all those points relevant.
I understand your point about hormesis, and coffee gives me a boost of performance 20-30% for sure.
But keep in mind how addictive coffee is. Same as with alchohol or cigarete , you drink a cup of coffee, it interferes with brain and takes control over, so you want more and more of it and hardly can stop, day by day... plus social culture imposes on everyone drinking coffee, and it is suported by PubMed articles on how 3 cups of coffee reduce all-cause mortality by 20 to 40 %. They go further by saying the more coffee you drink the higher chances of survival , so there is no upper limit ...
:raypeatcoffee

Last edited:

schmolch

Ich have no position on this topic, but for me quitting coffee had no benefits.

I consumed ~15 cups a day for about 30 years. I tried many times to quit over a period of about 10 years.
Initially it was just very painfull headaches that stopped me and later it was depression.
However, every attempt reduced the symptoms and finally i made it.

I had zero coffee (or other caffeine) for a period of about 5 months.
Initially i noticed a slight improvement in my sleep. It just felt a little bit better - more relaxed - to be tired.
However, what i was looking for - more energy, drive, motivation etc. - did not happen.
After about 5 months i had to admit that other then the nicer feeling of beeing sleepy nothing had changed.

Subjectively coffee gives me a slight boost in my metabolism, maybe a little bit like light exercise such as walking.

GTW

Many of the points are true but do not lead to the alleged conclusions.
The author is in good company. Remember the CDC propaganda? "Ivermectin is horse medicine... C'mon, you-all!"

GTW

Benjamin Franklin spit out a mouthful of soup at a court dinner in Versailles, saying, "Only an idiot would swallow soup so hot it burns his tongue."

LucH

We are not equal in front of coffee: CYP1A2 enzyme is involved in the metabolism of caffeine and theophylline (tea and chocolate), paracetamol … The CYP family is a detoxifying pathway.

Caffeine is a methyl and is metabolized in the liver then degraded, in part (paraxanthine, theobromine and theophylline). However, caffeine is not considered waste by the kidneys and will therefore be returned to the blood.

In a normal situation – 50% of individuals have a methylation problem (2) –, paraxanthin stimulates lipolysis, leading to high concentrations of glycerol and fatty acids in the blood. But we need physical activity to burn these calories. The 2nd element is theobromine which dilates blood vessels and increases urine volume. It is also theobromine which is responsible for the relaxation of the cardia muscle of the esophagus (acid reflux). Finally, the third, theophylline relaxes the smooth muscles of the bronchi. Each of these molecules are in turn metabolized and then excreted in the urine. The half-life of caffeine in the body depends on the individual: state of health, age, body size, etc. and settles around 5 hours. Be careful, however, if you take a contraceptive pill (estradiol) because the enzymes are overloaded. The half-life of caffeine is then doubled. Certain animals, cats, dogs, horses, parrots, are very exposed/fragile because they do not have the enzymes, or not in sufficient quantity, to neutralize all xanthines, in particular theobromine (…) (3-6)

More info on this link (in French) (Translator needed):
Caféine, ami ou ennemi ? (friend or foe ?)

References and sources
2. The thyroid madness
Une personne sur 2 a une déficience partielle au niveau des gènes codant pour l’enzyme MTHFR. Le handicap va de 20 – 35 % à 70 % (réduction de la fonction).
3. http://tpe-cafeine1s1.e-monsite.com/pages/ii-a-digestion-de-la-cafeine.html

GTW

I have read that coffee is the major source of dietary antioxidants for many US\Americans. A testament to coffee benefits and SAD, standard American Diet.

akgrrrl

Isn't there anyone here who drinks decaf? Maybe you love the smell of coffee, the ritual, or the taste but not the caffeine? Why nobody ever discuss this option?

-Luke-

Isn't there anyone here who drinks decaf? Maybe you love the smell of coffee, the ritual, or the taste but not the caffeine? Why nobody ever discuss this option?
Yes, I drink decaf. It's the taste and probably also the ritual for me, even though I don't drink it daily. Lately I also drank some coke without caffeine every now and then, because I found a brand with real sugar and without caffeine (and also without phosphoric acid) by happenstance.

In my experience caffeine amplifies the state I'm already in. If I'm relaxed, caffeine is not a problem. If I'm stressed, it stresses me even more. Since I'm stressed and depressed most of the time, I just can't tolerate caffeine.

Last edited:

TheSir

By probably blocking the liver's detoxification,
Coffee is actually very effective at improving liver function, which is why coffee enemas are so popular in alt med circles. Some years ago a prescription of >1000mg of caffeine was frequently given to people with liver issues on this forum. Coffee increases glutathione by like 700%.

I can't personally stand coffee either. It ruins me completely. I'm open to the idea of coffee tolerance being a litmus test of healthy metabolism, however. A healthy person should feel very little effects from it

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals