Matt Blackburn going keto and "ditching ray peat"

Dapose

Forum Supporter
My bull**** meter pegs in the red when I listen to Matt. I quit listening to him last summer. There is something not right about that guy. I wish him well but he is just too all over the place. He buys every product under the sun. He’s addicted to trying new products and drinking whatever cool-aid some super smart guy sells him. And Matt is a phenomenal sales men. But like most people we are trying to solve serious health challenges not play around with the latest macro ratio while moving back and forth between different off grid farms. He is a bad influencer. He influenced me to quit fallowing him.
My 2 cents.

schmolch

I went back to strict carnivore but i'm not "ditching" Ray Peat. I learned a lot from him and have the highest respect for Dr. Peat. However i have to do what works for me.

LadyRae

I went back to strict carnivore but i'm not "ditching" Ray Peat. I learned a lot from him and have the highest respect for Dr. Peat. However i have to do what works for me.
If you're up for it, I'd be interested in hearing about your process if you started a new thread. And I swear I won't be trying to change your mind or contradict...

My belief is that avenues to health are all over the map.🌞😊

mamakitty

If you have listened to enough of his podcasts, you would realise the guy is not just clueless he also oscillates from one extreme to another. He is an extremist. Everything he embarks upon is “the best ever” and everything he did before “was the worst”. He doesn’t just go all-in with any new thing, he goes full on gung ho. Also, he is very hypocritical as he calls other people sensitive while he blocks anyone who even question his authority a little.
Anyway, he is mostly clueless and not very knowledgeable. I first noticed this when I observed his podcasts with female guests who didn’t know much and would constantly use fillers like “aha”, mmhmm”, umm, “hmm” etc and Matt would mirror them. Then he started changing his previously staunch stance on cod liver oil. Then he changed his view on iron. He was inching back towards low carb that he previously said had wrecked his health.
Do you remember how he went so overboard with copper, his mom was worried about his blue hands?
He basically follows anyone new he finds and goes extreme. He is just looking to be a disciple of any shiny new guru he finds. Then he burns bridges with the previous guru he was following. He has a follower mindset, yet the pretences of a leader. No wonder he’s going full circle now.

-Luke-

The crazy thing is... ERLING HAALAND FOLLOWS HIM ON INSTAGRAM
Why is that crazy? I don't know anything about Blackburn. But young people, especially sport stars who have a lot of time, follow just about everyone on social media.

If Haaland follows some sort of nutritional advice that is counterproductive (and like I said, I have no idea about what Matt Blackburn is about), what does that say about him? He is in his early/mid twenties, probably has superior genes to 99.99% of humanity (not that this is all that matters) and probably takes steroids and other performance-enhancing substances. He could drink sunflower oil straight out of the bottle and eat raw soy products, and would probably not notice negative consequences for years to come.

That's very interesting. Had a look in the forums to find the thread/study but couldn't see it. Could you link please?

Objectives To compare different prediabetes definitions and characterize the risks of prediabetes and diabetes among older adults in a community-based setting.

Design, Setting, and Participants In this prospective cohort analysis of 3412 older adults without diabetes from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (baseline, 2011-2013), participants were contacted semiannually through December 31, 2017, and attended a follow-up visit between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2017 (median [range] follow-up, 5.0 [0.1-6.5] years).

Exposures Prediabetes defined by a glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) level of 5.7% to 6.4%, impaired fasting glucose (IFG) level (FG level of 100-125 mg/dL), either, or both.

Main Outcomes and Measures Incident total diabetes (physician diagnosis, glucose-lowering medication use, HbA1c level ≥6.5%, or FG level ≥126 mg/dL).

Results A total of 3412 participants without diabetes (mean [SD] age, 75.6 [5.2] years; 2040 [60%] female; and 572 [17%] Black) attended visit 5 (2011-2013, baseline). Of the 3412 participants at baseline, a total of 2497 participants attended the follow-up visit or died. During the 6.5-year follow-up period, there were 156 incident total diabetes cases (118 diagnosed) and 434 deaths. A total of 1490 participants (44%) had HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4%, 1996 (59%) had IFG, 2482 (73%) met the HbA1c or IFG criteria, and 1004 (29%) met both the HbA1c and IFG criteria. Among participants with HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4% at baseline, 97 (9%) progressed to diabetes, 148 (13%) regressed to normoglycemia (HbA1c, <5.7%), and 207 (19%) died. Of those with IFG at baseline, 112 (8%) progressed to diabetes, 647 (44%) regressed to normoglycemia (FG, <100 mg/dL), and 236 (16%) died. Of those with baseline HbA1c levels less than 5.7%, 239 (17%) progressed to HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4% and 41 (3%) developed diabetes. Of those with baseline FG levels less than 100 mg/dL, 80 (8%) progressed to IFG (FG, 100-125 mg/dL) and 26 (3%) developed diabetes.

Conclusions and Relevance In this community-based cohort study of older adults, the prevalence of prediabetes was high; however, during the study period, regression to normoglycemia or death was more frequent than progression to diabetes. These findings suggest that prediabetes may not be a robust diagnostic entity in older age.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I think it's lame that Matt verbalized that Ray Peat was his mentor many times in the past yet never had a podcast acknowledging his passing or expressing thanks.

Matt also turned on Morley who was his hero for a while.

While I appreciate some people he interviews, I lost respect for Matt a long time ago. It's ok to change one's mind, but he lacks a big picture approach and squirms in the nuance of things for silly reasons... Like he stopped being Christian because all the Christians praying for him didn't heal his back..

RPDiciple

My bull**** meter pegs in the red when I listen to Matt. I quit listening to him last summer. There is something not right about that guy. I wish him well but he is just too all over the place. He buys every product under the sun. He’s addicted to trying new products and drinking whatever cool-aid some super smart guy sells him. And Matt is a phenomenal sales men. But like most people we are trying to solve serious health challenges not play around with the latest macro ratio while moving back and forth between different off grid farms. He is a bad influencer. He influenced me to quit fallowing him.
My 2 cents.
Agree

OP
H

hamed1998

My 2 cents.
Lmao right, always love going to the "recommended products" section in his website and seeing like 4 pages, probably a good few grand of different devices doing stuff that may or may not work

LadyRae

I was only able to listen to a little bit of the most recent podcast with Jason Hommel. After Jason said that he thinks oysters are yucky and unclean, and liver is disgusting, I just couldn't take any more. The whole foundation was supplementation!

I mean, if you're not going to get copper and zinc from food then the whole point of the podcast is to push people to buy a product

OP
H

hamed1998

He basically follows anyone new he finds and goes extreme. He is just looking to be a disciple of any shiny new guru he finds. Then he burns bridges with the previous guru he was following. He has a follower mindset, yet the pretences of a leader. No wonder he’s going full circle now.
God yeah, its annoying how far of the spectrum he jumps too, the iron/copper thing was especially annoying since it was my first time listening to him and it sounded like it was super important to look after for good health, not too long later he jumps ship essentially telling everyone to forget it as most people arent iron overdosing, and that copper overdose causes schizophrenia. It gets annoying because if you want to take health advice from someone like that, you cant trust them because they dont even have a gauge to see what works and what doesnt, its mostly what he feels. Very unreliable source.

OP
H

hamed1998

He is in his early/mid twenties, probably has superior genes to 99.99% of humanity (not that this is all that matters) and probably takes steroids and other performance-enhancing substances. He could drink sunflower oil straight out of the bottle and eat raw soy products, and would probably not notice negative consequences for years to come.
Yuppppp, just look at DK metcalf, dudes diet is coffee and 3 bags of candy before practice or whatever, and hes one of the greatest. Hes not succeeding because of it, hes succeeding in spite of it, to quote Naudi. Most athletes could do whatever they want and due to their physical health, their body can just absorb it

OP
H

hamed1998

Objectives To compare different prediabetes definitions and characterize the risks of prediabetes and diabetes among older adults in a community-based setting.

Design, Setting, and Participants In this prospective cohort analysis of 3412 older adults without diabetes from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (baseline, 2011-2013), participants were contacted semiannually through December 31, 2017, and attended a follow-up visit between January 1, 2016, and December 31, 2017 (median [range] follow-up, 5.0 [0.1-6.5] years).

Exposures Prediabetes defined by a glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) level of 5.7% to 6.4%, impaired fasting glucose (IFG) level (FG level of 100-125 mg/dL), either, or both.

Main Outcomes and Measures Incident total diabetes (physician diagnosis, glucose-lowering medication use, HbA1c level ≥6.5%, or FG level ≥126 mg/dL).

Results A total of 3412 participants without diabetes (mean [SD] age, 75.6 [5.2] years; 2040 [60%] female; and 572 [17%] Black) attended visit 5 (2011-2013, baseline). Of the 3412 participants at baseline, a total of 2497 participants attended the follow-up visit or died. During the 6.5-year follow-up period, there were 156 incident total diabetes cases (118 diagnosed) and 434 deaths. A total of 1490 participants (44%) had HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4%, 1996 (59%) had IFG, 2482 (73%) met the HbA1c or IFG criteria, and 1004 (29%) met both the HbA1c and IFG criteria. Among participants with HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4% at baseline, 97 (9%) progressed to diabetes, 148 (13%) regressed to normoglycemia (HbA1c, <5.7%), and 207 (19%) died. Of those with IFG at baseline, 112 (8%) progressed to diabetes, 647 (44%) regressed to normoglycemia (FG, <100 mg/dL), and 236 (16%) died. Of those with baseline HbA1c levels less than 5.7%, 239 (17%) progressed to HbA1c levels of 5.7% to 6.4% and 41 (3%) developed diabetes. Of those with baseline FG levels less than 100 mg/dL, 80 (8%) progressed to IFG (FG, 100-125 mg/dL) and 26 (3%) developed diabetes.

Conclusions and Relevance In this community-based cohort study of older adults, the prevalence of prediabetes was high; however, during the study period, regression to normoglycemia or death was more frequent than progression to diabetes. These findings suggest that prediabetes may not be a robust diagnostic entity in older age.
super interesting, thanks for sharing

OP
H

hamed1998

I was only able to listen to a little bit of the most recent podcast with Jason Hommel. After Jason said that he thinks oysters are yucky and unclean, and liver is disgusting, I just couldn't take any more. The whole foundation was supplementation!

I mean, if you're not going to get copper and zinc from food then the whole point of the podcast is to push people to buy a product
do you know if jason sells supplements? I know matt sells both the liver and oyster supplements, could just be a plug or something. So glad I enjoy both those foods though, wouldnt want to get any of those

OP
H

hamed1998

He just has a way of marketing it that makes people feel like they are in some secret club.
Lmao straight up, hes even got the patreon type thing where you spend money and get insider info on some special things hes trying. Like ooooh would I wanna hear what someone with no gauge of getting better or worse has to say about a certain thing hes doing

LadyRae

do you know if jason sells supplements? I know matt sells both the liver and oyster supplements, could just be a plug or something. So glad I enjoy both those foods though, wouldnt want to get any of those
Jason recommends supplementing with zinc, I'm not sure which kind specifically. But I have followed him for some time regarding copper, and he recommends making your own copper sulfate liquid. It is not expensive or specific to a certain brand. But when I tried it, I must have taken a few too many drops because I immediately threw up.

Fortunately I love liver and oysters

A-Tim

Thanks!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals