Oatmeal?

beachbum

HI all

I know Dr Ray says oats are okay, right? If so can I make oatmeal cookies. If I eat oatmeal as a hot cooked meal with milk, fruit, even coconut oil I fall into coma but if I make cookies I have energy.

:roll:

tara

I think Peat's general recommendation with starches is to cook them thoroughly - I took this to mean preferably boiled. I wonder if it is the calorie density that makes the cookies work better for you than more water-laden porrrige, fruit, milk. If you are struggling with too much fluid, that could be the issue. I imagine you would have salted your porridge. You can do whatever you like, of course. :): There may be some down sides to the cookies, like they might be a bit harder to digest, but if they give you energy, that's a pretty big plus, from my point of view.

tara

I don't think Peat say's that oats are OK for everybody. He has referred to them as amongst the better grains, along with white rice and masa harina, but he doesn't generally promote grains. He says for some people, with particularly unfavourable intestinal bacteria, all starches are best avoided. But it comes down to whether they agree with you personally or not.

pboy

yea ooats aren't ideal, but might not be the worse thing

perhaps when you make porridge you aren't cooking them long enough, and baking is hot enough to finish the job

Ulla

If I prepare oatmeal I soak rolled oats overnight, rinse them very well and then cook for about ten minutes.
When I rinse them, a lot of sticky fluid, mucus go away. Never-ending story. What is this? Starch? Are these oats then less starchy, less harmful and less caloric?

jyb

naninani said:
post 112495 If I prepare oatmeal I soak rolled oats overnight, rinse them very well and then cook for about ten minutes.
When I rinse them, a lot of sticky fluid, mucus go away. Never-ending story. What is this? Starch? Are these oats then less starchy, less harmful and less caloric?

Apparently soaking grains overnight efficiently works to remove phytic acid. This in my opinion makes the grains useful like potatoes as digestible nutrient rich sources of pure glucose, though not perfect (if they have proteins like gluten).

Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

naninani said:
post 112504 What about pufa? They stay? :oops:

The nutritional label of the grains I currently have in the kitchen shows very low fat content (and therefore pufa). And it's not my main source of energy anyway, so the amount of pufa I get from it must be quite trivial - that would be the least of my worries for that kind of food.

Ulla

Mine has 7g of fat per 100g and only 1.5 g of that are saturated...
I need at least 100g oats to feel satiated. It's not my main source neither but I still don't like that I like oatmeal.
And when I soak and rinse them very well they are less satiating.

Thanks for sharing ;)

Overnight oats over ordinary oats.

D

Derek

Fiber binds fat. I highly doubt any of the fat contained in the oatmeal is really being absorbed. Plus, there is such a minute amount of PUFA in oats, it really isn't something you should be concerned about. If you tolerate oats and feel satiated/well eating them, than I wouldn't let the small amount of PUFA stop you.

Soaking oats really does nothing to remove phytic acid IMO. Some actually feel soaking grains in an acidic medium can actually increase phytic acid. You didn't specify what type of medium you used for soaking. Raw oats contain phytase, this is what breaks down phytic acid; even if you soak in just water. However, all oats are steamed/cooked and pretreated before they are packaged and sold. So none of them contain the phytase enzyme which is needed to break down phytic acid. Just cook them a long time, longer than the package says, and you should be fine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I enjoy them cooked in a crock pot on low overnight.

Ulla

thanks for your opinions.
I need to try to cook them for longer.

what about reheating them? I really don't have time in the morning to cook them longer.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
YuraCZ said:
post 112610
Agent207 said:
post 112521 Around 3gr PUFA /100gr
+ gluten..
The gluten in oats is from cross contamination in processing facilities that used shared equipment with wheat IIRC. There are oats that are certified gluten free if someone wishes to or needs to avoid trace amounts of gluten.

Wilfrid

Have you already tried the " quick " oats version instead of the regular " rolled " ones?
Soaking it in salted water the night before could be interesting too.
The next morning you can cook it with coconut milk ( most of commercial canned coconut milk are very heavy on fat content, I would suggest you to use a thai brand like Aroy-D which is easier to digest than most of canned coconut milk and with a lower fat content) and eat it with plenty of maple syrup ( not peat approved ) and with a protein source.

J

James IV

Same experience with oats here. Oatmeal slows me down, home made cookies make me feel like a champ. I would have to agree it's probably the liquid content.

I would not be concerned with phytate, or PUFA from oats. If you digest them well and they improve your health perimeters, then C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Hi all,

I'm sorry for getting back late, actually thinking about the replies and how I feel. Thank you very much for the replies. As for cooking longer, soaking overnight did all that but no change. I'm guessing the liquid is the problem as some mentioned above. Can you all explain why I m constantly craving my homemade oatmeal cookies, alot. Also any tips for adding extra protein (no powered crap). I'm putting off making them right now because I want to up the protein. .lol it's been tuff but going to make them tonight with or without extra protein.

Thank you all again.
Beachbum

tara

beachbum said:
post 118114 Can you all explain why I m constantly craving my homemade oatmeal cookies, alot.

How many calories are you eating?

beachbum said:
post 118114 Also any tips for adding extra protein (no powered crap).
If it agrees with you, you cook make oatmeal cookies with lots of milk-powder to up protein (unless you count that as powdered crap). And/or extra eggs to bump up protein?
Some people find condensed milk a good way to increase protein and decrease water in milk. Cheese.
Personally, too much milk and cheese don't seem to agree with me, so I'm eating more meat (esp gelationous cuts), stock (soup), eggs, fish, shellfish.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

tara said:
post 118463
beachbum said:
post 118114 Can you all explain why I m constantly craving my homemade oatmeal cookies, alot.

How many calories are you eating?

[glow=red]Good point.. The thing is when I eat them they even out my mood. If I stick to RP foods I tend to become too alert.[/glow]

beachbum said:
post 118114 Also any tips for adding extra protein (no powered crap).
If it agrees with you, you cook make oatmeal cookies with lots of milk-powder to up protein (unless you count that as powdered crap). And/or extra eggs to bump up protein?
Some people find condensed milk a good way to increase protein and decrease water in milk. Cheese.
Personally, too much milk and cheese don't seem to agree with me, so I'm eating more meat (esp gelationous cuts), stock (soup), eggs, fish, shellfish.

[glow=red]Very good ideas to add.. I got a laugh from the powder milk, didn't even think of that..hmm. I'm working on making more broths and such. There is something about the oatmeal cookies with a big glass of milk or coffee. They are like a total meal for filling the gaps of other meals

I thank you all again. .very good tips and advice.[/glow]

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals