Olive Oil, Not Coconut Oil, Makes Skin Ageing Slower

"Our findings provide support for a beneficial role of olive oil in preventing severe facial photoaging", the researchers wrote. "This result should be supported by further mechanistic studies taking into account the relationship between a diet rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, subcutaneous fat and the overall aging process, of which skin photodamage may be a readily observable surrogate marker."

Dietary Monounsaturated Fatty Acids Intake and Risk of Skin Photoaging

teds

Forum Supporter
So as far as I can see it’s an observational study where people record how much they’re consuming... from someone (me-that is) on a forum full of people who record their intake, I think we all know (me- that is) how wrong one can get that.. but that’s just a small thing I guess.

But then I can’t see that they compared it to coconut oil- your title suggests a comparative study? Is there information on consumption of coconut oil and photoaging?

Ulysses

Finally, as expected, the consumption of olive oil in our population was also positively associated with high consumption of fruits, vegetables, fish and tea, and negatively associated with sweet products, butter and milk. In that sense, the consumption of olive oil could also be considered as a marker of a healthy diet [38].
So, it’s not really a study of olive oil: it’s comparing one eating pattern with another. People who want to “eat healthy” typically opt for the Mediterranean diet, which is more or less what’s described here; people who ignore the conventional nutrition advice tend to have other unhealthy habits as well. There’s nothing in this study IMO to suggest that outcomes would not be improved by substituting coconut oil for olive oil in that diet, or by adding dairy.

The title of the study is somewhat of a misnomer because, as they point out in the discussion, they weren’t able to find a protective effect from other MUFA sources.

OP
2thecloudsabove
I'm italian and I produce my own olive oil on my lands (the stuff you buy in supermarket is diluted weak piss in comparison) and I consume a crapload of it and everyone tells me that I look much younger than my age (the same is true for my sister and brother tbh), so I guess there must be some truth to this lol.

L

lollipop

I'm italian and I produce my own olive oil on my lands (the stuff you buy in supermarket is diluted weak piss in comparison) and I consume a crapload of it and everyone tells me that I look much younger than my age (the same is true for my sister and brother tbh), so I guess there must be some truth to this lol.
WoW...amazing. I would love to eat olive oil, that I had produced. Very cool.

x-ray peat

Any idea how can you get the good stuff in the US. I hear its all organized crime dominated and heavily diluted.

I think the skin protection is largely from the squalene in the olive oil. I think there is a great deal of benefit to maintaining around a 2:1 ratio of SFA to MUFA, consuming only SFA for long periods can drive down sex hormone binding globulin to a level where it is problematic, I believe I recently did this to myself by basically only consuming SFA for the last 6 months, 85% of my fat calories were coming from coconut oil. I had a ratio of 6:1 SFA to MUFA. I started to feel symptoms of AI excess / SHBG deficiency, so I started taking 1.5 tbsp olive oil every morning with my DHEA and feel dramatically better after just a few days of doing this. I know RP has said that higher SHBG is a good thing, aside from taking thyroid it seems MUFA is one of the only other accessible options people have for keeping SHBG high.

Any idea how can you get the good stuff in the US. I hear its all organized crime dominated and heavily diluted.

If you want real olive oil without spending a fortune you should buy directly from a frantoio (where the oil is freshly made from locally sourced olives), there are like 5000 of them in Italy, I'd imagine some ship to the US but I don't think it would be really convenient, like 1 liter can be 6-10+ euros depending on the area, factor in the shipping etc, if you want to stock up on it I guess it could be a bit expensive (well, relatively speaking, 1 liter of 100% certified italian extra virgin oil can cost you 2/3x that in a supermarket). In my area in southern Italy a lot of people just gather or buy the olives and then bring them to a frantoio to have them made into oil, that's way cheaper than buying the finished product.
By the way it's not a matter of ''organized crime'', it's a matter of profit, you find the same piss poor diluted quality in oil coming from Spain, Greece, etc. The oil you buy in supermarket for a comparable price is simply not real olive oil, it's mostly yellow watery imitation, when I was a student I used to consume cheap supermarket oil and when I started producing my own oil I was positively shocked, the difference is really that big, real olive oil is more green-ish than yellow, it's ofc denser with a strong flavour, almost pungent and ''peppery'' and it stings the back of your throat a bit, I think it can even be a bit ''unpleasant'' at first to people only used to supermarket olive oil.

x-ray peat

If you want real olive oil without spending a fortune you should buy directly from a frantoio (where the oil is freshly made from locally sourced olives), there are like 5000 of them in Italy, I'd imagine some ship to the US but I don't think it would be really convenient, like 1 liter can be 6-10+ euros depending on the area, factor in the shipping etc, if you want to stock up on it I guess it could be a bit expensive (well, relatively speaking, 1 liter of 100% certified italian extra virgin oil can cost you 2/3x that in a supermarket). In my area in southern Italy a lot of people just gather or buy the olives and then bring them to a frantoio to have them made into oil, that's way cheaper than buying the finished product.
By the way it's not a matter of ''organized crime'', it's a matter of profit, you find the same piss poor diluted quality in oil coming from Spain, Greece, etc. The oil you buy in supermarket for a comparable price is simply not real olive oil, it's mostly yellow watery imitation, when I was a student I used to consume cheap supermarket oil and when I started producing my own oil I was positively shocked, the difference is really that big, real olive oil is more green-ish than yellow, it's ofc denser with a strong flavour, almost pungent and ''peppery'' and it stings the back of your throat a bit, I think it can even be a bit ''unpleasant'' at first to people only used to supermarket olive oil.
Thanks. Ive been buying from california and though it doesnt taste as strong as the real stuff it's tested to at least make sure its 100% olive oil, though I doubt its all EVO. Im mainly concerned about getting some cheaper PUFA mixed in with the olive oil.

And btw where there are obscene profits to be made by fraud organized crime will find a way to take it over. Read any of these articles. Ironically the Godfather's first business was olive oil importation.
olive oil organized crime - Buscar con Google

Last edited:

Kartoffel

"Olive Oil, Not Coconut Oil, Makes Skin Ageing Slower" - This is not what the study says...

Last edited:
The study says olive oil is a fat and some people eat it apparently.

Kartoffel

ok what does it say?

That the researchers found a negative association between MUFA in OO and skin aging in a particular cohort. Thus, nothing that justifies any of the claims made in the headline of this thread.

x-ray peat

That the researchers found a negative association between MUFA in OO and skin aging in a particular cohort. Thus, nothing that justifies any of the claims made in the headline of this thread.
You could say the same of most population based studies that we routinely use to guide our health choices. It's not very easy to do a randomized, double blinded study on the long term effects of various nutritional choices.

Researchers have similiarly found a positive association between smoking and lung cancer but we routinely say that smoking causes lung cancer. Obviously the evidence is stronger here but that still doesnt mean we cant learn something from the above study.

Kartoffel

You could say the same of most population based studies that we routinely use to guide our health choices. It's not very easy to do a randomized, double blinded study on the long term effects of various nutritional choices.

Researchers have also found a positive association between smoking and lung cancer. Obviously the evidence is stronger here but that still doesnt mean we cant learn something from the above study.

Most of these studies are absolute garbage and manipulated on purpose with simple statistical tricks. The quality of those studies aside, even a well done analysis showing an association or correlation doesn't justify making statements like X makes/causes Y. Correlation is not the same as causation, and in a field as complex as nutrition, full of thousands and thousands of potential third variables, most correlations are useles artifacts.

x-ray peat

Most of these studies are absolute garbage and manipulated on purpose with simple statistical tricks. The quality of those studies aside, even a well done analysis showing an association or correlation doesn't justify making statements like X makes/causes Y. Correlation is not the same as causation, and in a field as complex as nutrition, full of thousands and thousands of potential third variables, most correlations are useles artifacts.
In the world of human nutrition you can very rarely prove causation so the best we have are correlations. Saying that correlations are worthless or that all of theses studies are manipulated is a bit extreme. In some cases there is obvious manipulation of the data but certainly not in all cases.

A cursory look at the data shows an obvious correlation without even accounting for confounding variables (which they did) so its doubtful that the results are due to a statistical sleight of hand.

On the common sense level the results make sense as higher olive oil consumption would displace PUFA consumption associated with accelerated aging.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals