Announcement Ray Peat Cultists & Cries of Authoritarianism

Izzybelle

Most dog and cat foods have so much retinol supplement and/or ground up liver added to them that the animals end up eating something in the order of magnitude of 100,000 IU/day
I'd like to look into that but meanwhile here's my Peat-diet fed Izzy. Eats like a horse and never gains an ounce of fat.

1706660465020.png

freyasam

I hope Garrett Smith is acknowledging that some of his work came from Peat. Pufa, light, etc. A few years ago there was no credit given to RP.
Edit - I see a lot of that lately. People hawking herbs, supplements, courses, that are obviously at least somewhat informed by Peat. Yet no credit given to Peat. Hate to see that.

Last edited:

Jamsey

I'd like to look into that but meanwhile here's my Peat-diet fed Izzy. Eats like a horse and never gains an ounce of fat.

View attachment 60971
Your dog looks great! Also I have absolutely no clue what he’s talking about. A basic search returned this

This puts an average 50lb dog’s vitamin a intake from dog food at around 1250-1500 iu daily.

Brian Douglas

Well I'm older and had to recover from a lifetime of PUFA, undereating, overexercising, and too much stress, but 15 years into this style of eating and various supplements on and off and I still have all my teeth and my energy has been coming back and my muscle issues resolving after I finally figured out it was almost certainly thyroid-related. I have a Mexican street dog however that I adopted at 8 weeks who is now 7 years old who I've been feeding a Ray Peat style diet -- including liver once a week or so which she loves -- with the occasional dog food when I don't feel like cooking and she's always been very active and as healthy as a horse and showing no signs of slowing down. She gets lots of meat but the milk and liver doesn't seem to have harmed her, quite the contrary. This dog can climb trees and is extremely strong for her mid-size. A vet ran some blood tests a couple of years ago and everything looked good as well. I guess I'm just having a hard time believing that Vitamin A is not necessary at certain doses although I know like anything else hypervitaminosis can be a bad thing. I've always been skeptical about health fads and never followed any health guru and that's not what Ray was to me, and it took a long time for me to trust Ray's advice on many things, but ultimately I did and still do respect his advice. I don't really have any reason to question or change my diet at the moment but I wish you all the best with forging on your new path, but I will say the turnaround in people has been quite shocking and sudden but maybe I just haven't been reading the relevant threads where -- in my mind -- you have all been led astray:):.
There's a saying I live by: Keep doing what you're doing & you'll keep getting what you're getting. It looks to me as you've found success with your choices & you'd be foolish to question your experience. Doubt leads to fear & that alone destroys our mind & life.
Ray was never hawking products & was kind enough to respond to complete strangers to give greater clarity. Your dog looks great, btw.

Nick

Your dog looks great! Also I have absolutely no clue what he’s talking about. A basic search returned this

This puts an average 50lb dog’s vitamin a intake from dog food at around 1250-1500 iu daily.
Those pages are what they recommend as allowable amounts in dog food, not what dog food actually contains. The first page links lists the minimum amount of vitamin A in dog food at 5000 IU/kg and the maximum allowable amount as 250,0000 IU/kg!

CuriousOne

Forum Supporter
It's very important to question certain ideas of Ray Peat when it comes to practical food choices and diet. It also builds on one of Peat's last realizations of adding in oats as a source of soluble fiber, which went into the right direction.

Ray Peat read Grant Genereux but did not accept his conclusions. His scientific mindset made him focus on all the logical errors instead of the whole picture.

It's on us to continue the brilliance of Ray Peat. He once said that there needs to be a movement that restores wholeness and regeneration on the level of society. Here we now have the keys to this regeneration. Combining the Ray Peat principles with the toxic bile detox knowledge could help create that movement Peat dreamed about. Increasing CO2, avoiding PUFA, seeking out stimulating social experiences and environments, and using red light is a solid foundation.

The realization of Blake - there is a limit to contraction, but no limit to expansion, which also formed Peats view on biological systems, seems to be a good guiding principle. But Peat never discovered all of the tools necessary to kickstart the expansion.

I don't know charlie, but it's obvious that his heart is in the right place. Everyone makes mistakes and being an admin is difficult as you can't make everyone happy. It can feel bad for long-term members if the ideological place one got used to disappears, but it should be clear to any open-minded person that the general direction followed by Grant Genereux, Garret Smith and others is indeed essential and needs to be incorporated into the framework of this forum. This is basically the blind spot of the Ray Peat community, and it's no wonder that many are having a meltdown because they are not ready to look into this dark side of their ideology.

Karen Hurd has figured out the importance of bile detox years ago already, and is a great resource on this, the Grant Genereux forum also has lots of information.

On the other hand, presenting small bits of information coming from a closed group around a cherry-picking Garret Smith as gospel without deeper explanation and discussion obviously will alienate many here, so it's important to have an open-minded discussion about specific concepts. Beyond the general direction, there are many open questions around specifics, which is naturally the case when empirical data is lacking. Information and arguments need to be dissected publicly. After all, this is a discussion forum and it lives from sharing knowledge, sources and perspectives openly.

Where can I read a good summary of Genereux' ideas?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals