Sunmountain's Log

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Stomach still swells up after eating, and body is achy. Why is body achy? I thought maybe not enough thyroid...I've slacked off a bit due to daylight, more B's, etc. So today I took a nibble of T3, but not sure it helped with the achiness.

Still not as bad as when I had milk intolerance symptoms, but enough to affect functioning.

Lately, my daughter has been complaining of achiness and tiredness. She says it's after she's worked an 8-hour shift at the restaurant (she does this Saturdays only, and will soon stop). After hearing it for a while, I sent her to doc and she had labs today. She's being tested for D, TSH, T4, (why not T3 also?), iron, CBC, lyme again, some other stuff.

She'll leave for camp counseling in June, and then for college in Colorado. 6000 feet. Is that elevation good enough to make a difference peatwise? More CO2? She says some kids are saying something about blood clots at that elevation; I hope that's bs.

Lately I've been waking up anxious, thinking of her leaving.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

My daughter's pediatrician left me a message saying her results came out "fine" except slight anemia and she will recommend supplementing iron. She asked me to call her back.

From reading the forum, I know that iron supplementation is not good. I have not seen the results myself yet and will ask her for them. My daughter's thyroid last time was in the 2 range, as is mine.

How do other forum members deal with a diagnosis of mild anemia? What are the causes?

thanks

tara

sunmountain said:
My daughter's pediatrician left me a message saying her results came out "fine" except slight anemia and she will recommend supplementing iron. She asked me to call her back.

From reading the forum, I know that iron supplementation is not good. I have not seen the results myself yet and will ask her for them. My daughter's thyroid last time was in the 2 range, as is mine.

How do other forum members deal with a diagnosis of mild anemia? What are the causes?

thanks
Hi Sunmountain,
I would be curious about the results of the specific iron tests - though others are better at interpreting the numbers. If those number show iron really out the bottom of the range (not just in the bottom part of normal), then maybe more iron is needed. If she has heavy menstruation that could make it more likely. In this case, liver is a good source of iron, and eating it with OJ rather than iron blockers like coffee or coke might make sense.
Peat has said there are other possible causes of anemia, and iron deficiency should not just be assumed on the basis of anemia without checking iron itself.
B12 deficiency is another possible cause, I think. I'm not sure what other causes there can be.
If the iron tests don't show low, I don't see the benefit in supplementing iron, and in this case, maybe it does more harm than good.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

pboy, I have no idea anymore what she eats, as the only meal she eats at home is dinner. If I ask her, what did you eat for lunch, she gives me a blank look...

Tara, I need to get the lab results from the doc. Thanks for pointing out that anemia can be caused by things other than low iron, and yes, she does have heavy menstruation and pms, for which she is taking a drop or two of progest-e daily, for the cycles when she can remember to start on day 14.

Just wanted to also record that my experiment with Haidut's Methylene Blue is going well since 5-6 days when I started it with one drop on stomach. Felt better energy daily.

However, my right knee is at its worst right now with pain, I don't know why, pain on sitting or walking, which is new. I am convinced it has to do with my gut since it came on with the gut problems, and not due to physical exercise in the old days as I only did mild to moderate stuff.

I have this image of eating food including the bit of starch I do, and having a leaky gut, and the food particles leaking out the gut and collecting in my knees, causing the pain. Fanciful, I know.

Can elevated serotonin cause knee pain?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Broad Barnes states that low temperature is the most common cause of anemia in his book- Solved: The Riddle of Heart Attacks (page 23 of the PDF posted here on the forum recently). I will try to find a link.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

The pain in right knee is so bad I can't bend it without excruciating pain. So I have to hop downstairs on other leg, and sitting down and standing up are painful.

I'm applying a castor oil pack to my right knee, as I know from pre-peat that it worked to take away pain. My understanding is the toxins in castor oil call the white blood cells to the area, which help take away the pain. Somewhat similar to acupuncture in that respect, I believe. Someone more knowledgeable, please feel free to comment!

I'm still continuing with MB, now twice a day, morning and bedtime. I hope there is no reaction between the castor oil and MB...don't wanna explode.

I'm also noticing some hives on my face that come and go. I think I have increased inflammation going on, and slowly getting more food intolerances building up. The breath test is June 1. If it weren't for that, I'd be on 200mg starter dose of mino, which I look at wistfully every day in my cabinet.

This waiting is so STUPID! Each day now my intolerances and inflammation is getting worse, while i'm waiting for the breath test. And how are they going to interpret it, and what are they going to prescribe...is it even worth waiting for?????

I'm losing it. I wanna take the mino and f the breath test.

Sorry, Blossom, I needed to vent first. Thanks for looking up the link to Broda on the link between low temp and anemia. I've explained to her about milk and fruit as metabolically enhancing, but I think she's just ready to leave home at this point, for all the attention she pays it. She has to find her own way and will, and I also know our relationship will grow deeper with the distance. Perhaps when she is away, it will be easier for her to hear or read these recommendations. If not, then she'll go the toxic pharma route.

All of this reminds me of something I've been meaning to post. She wants to study neuroscience and is open to medicine. This most emphatically did not come from me, nor from her father. I think maybe from some of her friends' parents. She also knows how skeptical I am of pharma drugs and the racket that medicine is, so is exploring alternative medicine, and is doing her senior work project at an integrative clinic associated with a major hospital.

What would forum members advise a very bright young woman, beautiful inside and out, who might want to study medicine, maybe with an "alternative" orientation? Is it possible to practice or research medicine with integrity in a system that is a racket? Are there specialties that are more honest than others? I was thinking surgery, but she has mild ADHD and not sure her motor skills. Is research more honest than the clinic? What kind of research. Sorry, I am a layperson, and do not know the inside track, though I can talk with doctor friends sometime.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If your daughter is really serious about the medical field I would suggest looking into physical or occupational therapy. They don't really have to deal with drugs and have a lot of autonomy. The hours are pretty close to normal business hours with no nights and minimal weekends or holidays. Of all the different roles in medicine the PT's and OT's seem the most satisfied in their career choice!

If she is like my daughter she might change her mind several times anyway!

HDD

How are your temps and pulse? Pain could be due to being hypo. Maybe reevaluate thyroid dosage? If you have Progest-e, apply olive oil to your knee first and then massage in some Progest-e. Peat has written about this relieving various pains.

Per Ray Peat, hypothyroidism used to be suspected if someone was anemic.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

I will let her know Blossom, the normal hours sound good. She is very bright academically and wants to make a lot of money, and I wonder how PT/OT stack up against MD? On the other hand, she might want to think about quality of life...

Today has been a crazy day. I understand now what the others meant about clean houses and yards on MB...I've been with my yard guy all day in the garden, working alongside. This while I'm very waterlogged today, and my back is hurting, and I can't bend without sharp pain in the upper rib cage.

The garden looks great, though! It's like I can't feel my muscles any more in my legs, and though my feet hurt, I could still do more if it weren't for the back and stomach. It's crazy and wonderful to have so much energy in the face of being waterlogged! Getting massage tomorrow to help drain me.

I don't know why I keep filling up with water nowadays every few days, when it wasn't happening before. Part of recovery, I know. VERY uncomfortable and painful.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Hi Diane, I haven't taken pulse/temps the last few days, but when I last took it, it was 96.6/78, which surprised me because that's what it was when I started peating.

It's true that sometimes I get knee pain when my thyroid dosage is off. Due to summer, I'm taking only a small nibble of cynoplus at night and a small nibble of cynomel in the morning. Not sure how much more to adjust this at this time, short of not taking it altogether? Can't take more due to palps.

The castor oil pack has reduced the pain, and will probably reduce it more tonight. I would think it is not too unpeaty as it seems to act similar to acupuncture in some ways?

HDD

Glad you are getting relief from the castor oil.

I have had temperatures get low again since Peat and it is usually due to my diet. Too many not ideal foods and/or not enough protein or calories can cause this for me. Whenever I get pain, I always think it is thyroid related and I need to adjust something.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Physical Therapist are required to get a PhD and seem adequately compensated for what they do. There are no emergencies in PT either.

The thing about medicine is that it's highly romanticized in our society. I couldn't imagine getting a M.D. and then being under the thumb of the AMA and unable to help people the way I felt was best.

It is a lot to consider but hopefully by shadowing she will figure out the best path for her!

My cousin seems happy in pharmacology as a researcher. Doing some type of research as you mentioned in the OP is probably worth looking into.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

After intense waterlogging yesterday, I went for massage today and then felt better. In the evening, I began to panic a little thinking of my daughter leaving and me living alone. I noticed the bloat starting to increase and by bedtime my back is hurting again.

So panic --> ?(cortisol?) --> edema

Out of desperation, I took diamox. Mine is in capsules of 250mg.

I remember Blossom saying diamox is contraindicated for MB. I applied MB in the morning. Don't plan to apply it tomorrow. Hope I don't explode.

Blossom, you said somewhere you are taking low-dose diamox. What is your low dose? You must have a tablet form that you can cut?

Just in case I wake up tonight and start to panic -- is there anything I can do to stop the panic? I can't find my rescue remedy right now.

Keeping this log is making me aware that I panic more frequently than I realized.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been taking a half tablet (125 mg) of diamox occasionally over the last few months.

Sorry you are having a rough time with your daughter leaving home :cry: . I know it isn't easy.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Took breath test today. They gave me lactulose. It did not seem to do anything such as making my symptoms worse. So now I'm wondering if the test will show anything.

If anything, I've had a lot of energy today, and on my feet a lot today.

??

The energy is overall much better due to MB.

My stomach still fills up after a few bites and is permanently sticking out. My back hurts nearly all the time.

But I mostly have good energy.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

The energy continues. Today my knees stopped hurting going downstairs. Huge relief! Going upstairs is more noticeable now due to muscles hurting a bit.

??

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm glad your feeling better. Let us know how your tests turn out!

tara

sunmountain said:
The energy continues. Today my knees stopped hurting going downstairs. Huge relief! Going upstairs is more noticeable now due to muscles hurting a bit.

??

:)

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

My breath test results are in -- POSITIVE for bacterial overgrowth!!!!!

And the lactulose made me feel better??????

The doc wants me to see GI for treatment. Why can't she prescribe rifaximin and be done with it??

What should I be watching out for as I navigate the medical system?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals