Announcement The Forum is transitioning to a subscription-based membership model

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
In response to a surge in bot registrations, undesirable activities, and increasing costs, we are transitioning to a paid membership system. This adjustment is aimed at ensuring our community comprises of members genuinely interested in contributing, thereby enhancing the quality of both the content and member interactions. For those existing members who are already verified and post without moderation approval, you need not be concerned about these changes - you'll be automatically exempted from any fees and will continue to enjoy your current posting privileges. Even if you currently post freely you can purchase a membership to enjoy a suite of benefits detailed below, your support would be deeply appreciated as it helps to cover our time and expenses to keep this forum operational and running smoothly.

Our revised membership plan now includes two payment tiers: monthly ($7) and yearly ($77). Payments can be made using a credit card.

We reserve the right to ban members in order to maintain smooth forum operation and create a positive, respectful learning environment. If a permanent ban is imposed, paid monthly subscriptions will be terminated without a refund for that month. For yearly subscribers, the membership will be cancelled with no refund for the remaining part of the year. In the case of a lifetime subscription, a ban will result in no refund. In the event of a temporary ban, your paid membership will continue as usual, unaffected by the suspension period. Please note that any attempts to circumvent a prior ban will result in an immediate new ban without any refund provided for your subscription. By choosing to purchase a membership, you agree to these terms.

Please note that even with a paid membership, your posts will require moderation approval if they fall below a specific count. Once you achieve the required post count, you will be able to post without prior approval.

To become a paid member, start by registering to the forum and answering the provided questions. Once a moderator approves your registration, click on your username at the top right of the forum and select "Account Upgrades". This will lead you to the purchase of your membership.

Paid membership offers numerous benefits:
  • Ad-free experience
  • Visibility of users viewing content - see who is reading a topic
  • Two-line signature (non-paid members are allowed only one line)
  • Increased maximum mention alerts (10 instead of 5)
  • Increased maximum conversation participants (10 instead of 5)
  • Flood check bypass
  • Extended editing time for posts and conversations (24 hours instead of 90 minutes)
  • Profile banner upload feature
  • Keyword email - Receive an email when a word you designate is posted on the forum.
  • Conversation Search - You are able to search your private conversations
  • The satisfaction of supporting our fantastic forum!
  • Plus more perks to be announced soon!

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If you were able to post before the membership transition and have now lost your ability to post, send me a PM and I will get it taken care of for you. :hattip

LastingJoy

In response to a surge in bot registrations, undesirable activities, and increasing costs, we are transitioning to a paid membership system. This adjustment is aimed at ensuring our community comprises of members genuinely interested in contributing, thereby enhancing the quality of both the content and member interactions. For those existing members who are already verified and post without moderation approval, you need not be concerned about these changes - you'll be automatically exempted from any fees and will continue to enjoy your current posting privileges. Even if you currently post freely you can purchase a membership to enjoy a suite of benefits detailed below, your support would be deeply appreciated as it helps to cover our time and expenses to keep this forum operational and running smoothly.

Our revised membership plan now includes three payment tiers: monthly ($5), yearly ($50), or lifetime (details to be announced shortly). Payments can be made using a credit card.

We reserve the right to ban members in order to maintain smooth forum operation and create a positive, respectful learning environment. If a permanent ban is imposed, monthly subscriptions will be terminated without a refund for that month. For yearly subscribers, the membership will be cancelled with no refund for the remaining part of the year. In the case of a lifetime subscription, a ban will result in no refund. In the event of a temporary ban, your paid membership will continue as usual, unaffected by the suspension period. By choosing to purchase a membership, you agree to these terms.

Please note that even with a paid membership, your posts will require moderation approval if they fall below a specific count. Once you achieve the required post count, you will be able to post without prior approval.

To become a paid member, start by registering to the forum and answering the provided questions. Once a moderator approves your registration, click on your username at the top right of the forum and select "Account Upgrades". This will lead you to the purchase of your membership.

Paid membership offers numerous benefits:
  • Ad-free experience
  • Change username without seeking approval
  • Visibility of users viewing content - see who is reading a topic
  • Two-line signature (non-paid members are allowed only one line)
  • Ability to bold, italicize, alter the font and color of your signature
  • Tagging capability for any thread
  • Increased maximum mention alerts (10 instead of 5)
  • Increased maximum conversation participants (10 instead of 5)
  • Flood check bypass
  • Extended editing time for posts and conversations (24 hours instead of 90 minutes)
  • Profile banner upload feature
  • The satisfaction of supporting our fantastic forum!
  • Plus more perks to be announced soon!
Hello Charlie,

how did you estimate and choose the value of $5 per month, how is 5 dollars necessary to prevent bot compare to 1/2 dollar?

Who gets the $5?

If the sole purpose of this subcription based membership model is to manage bots, why remove the rights (part of those listed in the benefits of paying members) to former members who have already been verified and can post without approval?

Why do you recommend former members to purchase a membership if you already know that most of them aren't bots, and that your intention for the subcription based membership model is to prevent bots?

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have adjusted the original post a bit to reflect other reasons we are deploying the membership system. The main reason was to bring the quality of the posters up on the forum and help us to deal with nefarious actors who constantly bombard the registration system. Secondary reasons is to help with expenses.

With that said people who feel they are entitled and looking to sow division and disparage this forum will be banned on site. :hattip

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
If we are already members where do we go to pay the subscription amount if we want to?

Mathgirl

I have adjusted the original post a bit to reflect other reasons we are deploying the membership system. The main reason was to bring the quality of the posters up on the forum and help us to deal with nefarious actors who constantly bombard the registration system. Secondary reasons is to help with expenses.

With that said people who feel they are entitled and looking to sow division and disparage this forum will be banned on site. :hattip
Thanks! So supportive that you are doing this. It seemed the topics have deviated from Ray Peats work and I'm hoping this will keep things focused on healthy discussion. Appreciate all the mods

Peatful

Thanks! So supportive that you are doing this. It seemed the topics have deviated from Ray Peats work and I'm hoping this will keep things focused on healthy discussion. Appreciate all the mods
Came here to say something similar.

Thank you Charlie.

golder

Great decision. I had a real fear that the forum would slowly get derailed from Peat's philosophy given his sad passing. This should be a good way to keep things on track and moving in a positive direction.

Peater

Agreed.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If we are already members where do we go to pay the subscription amount if we want to?
Hi Dolomite, sincerely appreciate your interest in helping the forum. :hattip

If anyone would like to purchase a subscription simply click on your username at the top right of the forum and then click on "Account Upgrades". https://raypeatforum.com/community/account/upgrades
Appreciate your support. :hattip
Thank you Charlie.
:hattip
Great decision. I had a real fear that the forum would slowly get derailed from Peat's philosophy given his sad passing. This should be a good way to keep things on track and moving in a positive direction.
No worries, we got this! :)
A very well thought-through decision. Thanks @charlie
hamster, :hattip

Hugh Johnson

I hope it works out. The Something Awful forums were once some of the best place to post on the net. This was partially because they had a USD 10 sign up fee and if you got banned you would have to pay it again. This allowed the moderation to keep the place ok.

Alas the moderation was taken over by feminists and it became terrible.

purple pill

Could maybe add a tier system aswell where noobs (for lack of a better word, but also me) cant bombard lets say one of haiduts threads with basic questions like...."whats a PUFA?". May leave it open for more intellectual debate by some of the more dinstinguished members. Some of the old debates ive found on this forum between haidut, amazoniac, tyw and many others were epic, to me its kinda what seperates this forum from others. Just my 2c. but also thanks charlie for being a great host and keeping the wealth of info on this forum alive 🌻

Soren

Forum Supporter
Just paid my yearly subscription. I always thought there should be some kind of fee that helps maintain the site. Maybe with the funds from the membership fees forum can expand and improve in other ways.

ivy

I'm not sure this is an investment all people with a genuine interest (and a sound posting history) can make, but I understand. Thanks for all these years of free membership and quality reading. I honestly wish you can keep the forum on track and safe from bad actors.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I hope it works out. The Something Awful forums were once some of the best place to post on the net. This was partially because they had a USD 10 sign up fee and if you got banned you would have to pay it again. This allowed the moderation to keep the place ok.
It will work out. :)
Alas the moderation was taken over by feminists and it became terrible.
No worries about that here.
Could maybe add a tier system aswell where noobs (for lack of a better word, but also me) cant bombard lets say one of haiduts threads with basic questions like...."whats a PUFA?". May leave it open for more intellectual debate by some of the more dinstinguished members. Some of the old debates ive found on this forum between haidut, amazoniac, tyw and many others were epic, to me its kinda what seperates this forum from others. Just my 2c. but also thanks charlie for being a great host and keeping the wealth of info on this forum alive
The changes we are making will help bring the forum to a better place and will help cut out the "noise".
Great Decision @charlie
Appreciate the support! :hattip
Just paid my yearly subscription. I always thought there should be some kind of fee that helps maintain the site. Maybe with the funds from the membership fees forum can expand and improve in other ways.
Sincerely appreciate it! We will be looking to expand and improve as we can.
I'm not sure this is an investment all people with a genuine interest (and a sound posting history) can make, but I understand. Thanks for all these years of free membership and quality reading. I honestly wish you can keep the forum on track and safe from bad actors.
Thank you for the well wishes. Anyone with a sound prior posting history does not have to pay, they are grandfathered in. They can pay if they like, to help the forum. But it is not required if they do not want to.

animalcule

What's with the bit in the new "Terms and Conditions" about not being able to delete content you posted without approval? Did I misread that?

LLight

What's with the bit in the new "Terms and Conditions" about not being able to delete content you posted without approval? Did I misread that?
To be fair, it's not something new. You have a window during which you can edit and then your comment cannot be removed anymore.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals