Thyroid Supplement

jyb

kiran said:
That's a lot of dessicated. Have you tried going T3 only for a while ?
If you have RT3 issues, T4 can get converted to RT3 which then blocks T3. I take about 25mcg T3 and half a grain of dessicated.

Basically you figure out what T3 dose is useful and then replace some of it with dessicated.

These guys are useful, but you should probably not take more than a physiological dose of T3 (5mcg/hour).

http://www.thyroid-rt3.com/

Thanks, I'll try that.

NB: Peat would say RT3 can't happen if you are eating well (enough sugar and protein).

kiran

3-4 grains of dessicated is quite a bit though, especially since you're getting no effect from it. Also, it's really hard to know if you've got all your Peat Ducks in a Row.

chris

Do any of you have experience taking coffee and cytomel at the same meal?

narouz

jyb said:
NB: Peat would say RT3 can't happen if you are eating well (enough sugar and protein).

jyb-
That's interesting.
Do you recall where he said that?
I've been trying to figure out Peat's take on RT3.

kiran

jyb said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

That's a good point. I wonder if you're just having an issue with what you're taking and perhaps switching to something like cynoplus might help?

jyb

Re Peat on rT3, see the quote in the Reverse T3 paragraph on Danny Roddy's FAQ: http://www.dannyroddy.com/2011/12/29/ra ... tandi.html

So, my take is that someone following a Peat diet is should be less concerned about the rT3 issues mentioned on the more conventional thyroid therapies. However, stress might still be present when one is a hypo trying to recover, so perhaps one should still keep that in mind?

narouz

jyb said:
Re Peat on rT3, see the quote in the Reverse T3 paragraph on Danny Roddy's FAQ: http://www.dannyroddy.com/2011/12/29/ra ... tandi.html

So, my take is that someone following a Peat diet is should be less concerned about the rT3 issues mentioned on the more conventional thyroid therapies. However, stress might still be present when one is a hypo trying to recover, so perhaps one should still keep that in mind?

Thanks, jyb!
I check that out.

jyb

I know it's been somewhere mentioned before, but are concerns that thyroid supps be less absorbed when eating calcium valid? It's mentioned frequently on thyroid forums, but it could be wrong. If it is true, it's quite problematic because one would have to wait a long time before and after eating milk or cheese for digestion.

chris

jyb said:
I know it's been somewhere mentioned before, but are concerns that thyroid supps be less absorbed when eating calcium valid? It's mentioned frequently on thyroid forums, but it could be wrong. If it is true, it's quite problematic because one would have to wait a long time before and after eating milk or cheese for digestion.

Somewhere in my head says I've seen Peat advise people drink milk with their thyroid/t3 dose. Ill check if this is true.

Edit: Aha, I found out.

"you shouldn't take more than about one microgram of Cytomel at a time, and should accompany it with things like milk and orange juice."

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html

narouz

jyb said:

I believe a smart poster here named Cliff debunked this fairly persuasively a while back.

Birdie

I view it that a calcium supp would interfere with a thyroid supp, but that the amount of calcium in milk would not be a big worry.
So, I go ahead and drink milk near my NDT, but take any calcium supplement at dinner.

Since I spread out my thyroid supp in small doses, it wouldn't work to cut out the milk.

A few years ago, when I took all my thyroid an hour before breakfast, it was easy to have it away from all calcium, including milk.

narouz

Birdie said:
I view it that a calcium supp would interfere with a thyroid supp, but that the amount of calcium in milk would not be a big worry.
So, I go ahead and drink milk near my NDT, but take any calcium supplement at dinner.

Since I spread out my thyroid supp in small doses, it wouldn't work to cut out the milk.

A few years ago, when I took all my thyroid an hour before breakfast, it was easy to have it away from all calcium, including milk.

Birdie-
On the subject of how much thyroid to take when,
I've noticed, like you,
that I do better when I spread my dosage out throughout the day--
and even right be going to bed!
I know that last one is kinda weird,
but I sleep better if I take some before bed.

When I take my NDT supplement all at one time,
or even split into two doses,
I have too much peak/valley effect.
I'm taking 2&1/2 grains now,
and I do it 1/2grain at a time,
spread out evenly over my waking hours.

Destiny

I emailed Dr Peat: "Dear Dr Peat, should you take thyroid glandular with food? If so is it ok to take it with sugared milk-coffee?" His response: "It's important to record your temperature and pulse rate regularly, watching for effects of the thyroid. It doesn't matter what you eat with it."

Birdie

narouz-
That's encouraging. I do wish I could just take it all at once and be done. But this works. I'm also taking bites of T3 spread out.
And my husband takes 1 NDT with bkfst and then bites of T3 adding up to 1 1/2 tabs of cynomel. He had a high rT3, so is working to lower it. Of course, using more sugar too. Not enough sugar is one of his problems. I work hard to LET it be his problem and not mine.

destiny-
Ray is so good about answering.

narouz

Destiny said:
What is RT3?

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

If you can understand it,
come back and explain it to me. :lol:

Well...it is interpreted different ways.
As are many of the other thyroid related lab tests.
Peat doesn't agree with a lot of the orthodox interpretations (surprise!) :lol: .

But one popular, orthodox way of interpreting RT3
(which stands for Reverse T3),
is that it indicates a person has or is taking too much thyroid supplement.
I think it is seen as a feedback loop,
where high production of RT3 is a way the body has of signaling to itself that
there is too much T4 (or I guess T4&T3, if one is taking NDT)
and to stop using T3.

I guess I've mangled that thoroughly enough,
so I'll stop there. :oops:

Destiny

Thank you Narouz! :) I am taking it slow, 1/2 grain for two weeks, to be sure my body can adjust. I read somehow it can lead to feeling hyper thyroid if going to fast, something about adrenals/stress hormones.

Birdie, yes Dr Peat is just wonderful :)

jyb

narouz said:
Destiny said:
What is RT3?

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

If you can understand it,
come back and explain it to me. :lol:

Well...it is interpreted different ways.
As are many of the other thyroid related lab tests.
Peat doesn't agree with a lot of the orthodox interpretations (surprise!) :lol: .

But one popular, orthodox way of interpreting RT3
(which stands for Reverse T3),
is that it indicates a person has or is taking too much thyroid supplement.
I think it is seen as a feedback loop,
where high production of RT3 is a way the body has of signaling to itself that
there is too much T4 (or I guess T4&T3, if one is taking NDT)
and to stop using T3.

I guess I've mangled that thoroughly enough,
so I'll stop there. :oops:

Excess T4 or, as mentioned before, bad diet/metabolism can cause rT3. So one following the Peat diet and advice on thyroid supps should be less concerned about rT3 than the average reader of stopthethyroidmadness.com.

Peat mentions rT3 here and there in his articles.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Anyone have any good results from Nutrimeds porcine tablets? Some people say they are very weak. I have a bottle and was thinking of trying them because they dont have a lot of extra ingredients. Otherwise, I am going to take the thyroid-s.

Combie

Charlie said:
Anyone have any good results from Nutrimeds porcine tablets? Some people say they are very weak. I have a bottle and was thinking of trying them because they dont have a lot of extra ingredients. Otherwise, I am going to take the thyroid-s.
I've only ever tried thiroyd. Don't know about excipients etc, but damn does it work!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals