TSH above 55 after starting NDT??!!

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Any one seen such a big jump after starting NDT? From 10-ish to 55+? What could explain such a crazy rise in one month?

Peatful

Any one seen such a big jump after starting NDT? From 10-ish to 55+? What could explain such a crazy rise in one month?
Probably for the same reason they were already at 10.
Then they added NDT which added more stress.

Is this you?
Or a client?

Easier to problem solve if it is yourself

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Probably for the same reason they were already at 10.
Then they added NDT which added more stress.

Is this you?
Or a client?

Easier to problem solve if it is yourself
It's not me...

DKayJoe

Pretty much what Peatful said, whoever is taking it doesn't have enough fuel in the tank. Make sure they are eating enough (varies on the body but in my experience 2500-3000 calories minimum), vitamin and mineral levels that come to mind would be biotin, selenium, magnesium, retinol and d3 but probably a whole host of others as well.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Pretty much what Peatful said, whoever is taking it doesn't have enough fuel in the tank. Make sure they are eating enough (varies on the body but in my experience 2500-3000 calories minimum), vitamin and mineral levels that come to mind would be biotin, selenium, magnesium, retinol and d3 but probably a whole host of others as well.
I guess we are more taken aback by the massive increase than anything. NDT was only being used for a couple of weeks tops before the test, and it was only in the 40-80mg range. If anything would have expected a decrease in TSH.

Peatful

I have alluded to this through the years
Or actually
Have said directly-

It’s shortsighted
And possibly reckless
To think NDT is a “cure all” or a benign add on

Folks need to tread lightly
Or
Prudently

baron

Maybe this is why NDT increases my need and tolerance of an ace inhibitor. Vitamin D3 has the opposite effect, it forces me to lower the dosage of the ace inhibitor, maybe due to hypercalcemia lowering TSH, parathyroid hormone and that blocks the RAAS. I quickly become intolerant of this state though.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I have alluded to this through the years
Or actually
Have said directly-

It’s shortsighted
And possibly reckless
To think NDT is a “cure all” or a benign add on

Folks need to tread lightly
Or
Prudently
Totally agree with you. We are trying it in the context of a full health building program. Looks like the amount of food eaten is the biggest hurdle to get past now.

Peatful

Totally agree with you. We are trying it in the context of a full health building program. Looks like the amount of food eaten is the biggest hurdle to get past now.
Without knowing her

I agree with this

DKayJoe

I guess we are more taken aback by the massive increase than anything. NDT was only being used for a couple of weeks tops before the test, and it was only in the 40-80mg range. If anything would have expected a decrease in TSH.
I went through a long period of severe calorie restriction and in this time even the caffeine content in a few swigs of pepsi would tank me, shaking hands, shaky mental state etc, NDT is STRONG stuff comparatively. It may be worth looking into thyroid surrogates first such as aspirin (anecdotally I've found ingesting wintergreen oil an easy way to get a clean source) or maybe low dose caffeine, maybe even a combination of the two. Methylene blue also helps with metabolism but I have no experience with this personally.

Jennifer

Did you repeat the thyroid panel just to make sure the TSH result wasn’t an error? From my understanding, adrenaline can lower TSH so if their result wasn’t an error or a dietary issue, perhaps NDT lowered stress hormones that were likely elevated to compensate for poor thyroid function and revealed what their TSH really is?

Last edited:
OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Did you repeat the thyroid panel just to make sure the TSH result wasn’t an error? From my understanding, adrenaline can lower TSH so if their result wasn’t an error or a dietary issue, perhaps NDT lowered stress hormones that were likely elevated to compensate for poor thyroid function and revealed what their TSH really is?
Not yet, but we'll recheck soon of course. Stress is a big factor here so you may be on to something.

mostlylurking

What's their cholesterol level?

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
What's their cholesterol level?
Unfortunately we're at the mercy of whatever the person in the butcher coat deems necessary to test for in this circumstance... So we don't know.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Unfortunately we're at the mercy of whatever the person in the butcher code deems necessary to test for in this circumstance... So we don't know.
I do not understand your response. Could you kindly rephrase? "butcher code"?

If cholesterol is low, supplementing thyroid hormones can make the situation worse. Low cholesterol should be addressed first.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I do not understand your response. Could you kindly rephrase? "butcher code"?

If cholesterol is low, supplementing thyroid hormones can make the situation worse. Low cholesterol should be addressed first.
Meant to say "butcher coat" a.k.a. doc...thank you for the input nonetheless!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals