TSH above 55 after starting NDT??!!

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Have you considered running the test a second time? Just to confirm somebody didn't drip mustard on the test?
Will get it retested in a couple weeks. Stopped the NDT in the mean time. On the edge my seat until then lol.

mostlylurking

Will get it retested in a couple weeks. Stopped the NDT in the mean time. On the edge my seat until then lol.
Ray Peat said that the TSH was not a reliable test because so many things can affect it. If I remember correctly, internal (body) stress affects it, but I don't know what else does.
My own TSH was .02 when I was severely hypothyroid and my med was not working at all.

There's this: Causes & Symptoms of High TSH + Health Effects - SelfDecode Labs

mostlylurking

I'd like to add that my very competent 86+ year old endocrinologist (50+ years of experience) told me when he saw my TSH at .02 that he had seen that before and he told me he would simply ignore that part of the test (the TSH) and rely on the rest of the test (T4, T3, rT3) and, most of all, my symptoms.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
I'd like to add that my very competent 86+ year old endocrinologist (50+ years of experience) told me when he saw my TSH at .02 that he had seen that before and he told me he would simply ignore that part of the test (the TSH) and rely on the rest of the test (T4, T3, rT3) and, most of all, my symptoms.
Wow, I've also had it close to that low, was after two flights in one day, the day before the test..

mostlylurking

Wow, I've also had it close to that low, was after two flights in one day, the day before the test..
My internal stress is the result of mercury poisoning, from mercury amalgam fillings placed when I was a child, then removed the dangerous way when I was in my 20's. I'm 73 now.

"Low exposure levels of mercury may affect the endocrine system in animals and people by disruption of the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal glands and pancreas [57]. It is thought that mercury might impair endocrine function through its ability to reduce hormone-receptor binding or through the inhibition of one or more key enzymes or steps in hormone biosynthesis as is seen in the case of adrenal steroid biosynthesis and the inhibition of 21α-hydroxylase [58]. Hormones that appear to be the most affected by mercury are insulin, estrogen, testosterone, and adrenaline."
-edit-
more from same article:
"Autopsy studies in 1975 revealed that the thyroid and pituitary retain and accumulate more inorganic mercury than the kidneys [59]. Mercury levels in the pituitary gland ranged from 6.3 to 77 ppb in one study, while another found the mean levels to be 28 ppb, levels found to be neurotoxic and cytotoxic [60]. Low levels of pituitary function are associated with depression and suicidal thoughts, and appear to be a major factor in suicide of teenagers and other vulnerable groups. Because of its effect on the pituitary, mercury is known to cause frequent urination as well as high blood pressure [61].

"The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body. The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones. Like the pituitary, the thyroid displays an affinity for accumulating mercury. Mercury blocks thyroid hormone production by occupying iodine-binding sites and inhibiting or altering hormone action leading to the impairment of body temperature control, hypothyroidism, thyroid inflammation and depression [43,61]."

I don't KNOW that mercury poisoning is what caused my super low TSH, but it seems likely to me.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
My internal stress is the result of mercury poisoning, from mercury amalgam fillings placed when I was a child, then removed the dangerous way when I was in my 20's. I'm 73 now.

"Low exposure levels of mercury may affect the endocrine system in animals and people by disruption of the pituitary, thyroid, adrenal glands and pancreas [57]. It is thought that mercury might impair endocrine function through its ability to reduce hormone-receptor binding or through the inhibition of one or more key enzymes or steps in hormone biosynthesis as is seen in the case of adrenal steroid biosynthesis and the inhibition of 21α-hydroxylase [58]. Hormones that appear to be the most affected by mercury are insulin, estrogen, testosterone, and adrenaline."
-edit-
more from same article:
"Autopsy studies in 1975 revealed that the thyroid and pituitary retain and accumulate more inorganic mercury than the kidneys [59]. Mercury levels in the pituitary gland ranged from 6.3 to 77 ppb in one study, while another found the mean levels to be 28 ppb, levels found to be neurotoxic and cytotoxic [60]. Low levels of pituitary function are associated with depression and suicidal thoughts, and appear to be a major factor in suicide of teenagers and other vulnerable groups. Because of its effect on the pituitary, mercury is known to cause frequent urination as well as high blood pressure [61].

"The thyroid is one of the largest endocrine glands in the body. The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones. Like the pituitary, the thyroid displays an affinity for accumulating mercury. Mercury blocks thyroid hormone production by occupying iodine-binding sites and inhibiting or altering hormone action leading to the impairment of body temperature control, hypothyroidism, thyroid inflammation and depression [43,61]."

I don't KNOW that mercury poisoning is what caused my super low TSH, but it seems likely to me.
Had 4 amalgams safely removed last month.. Already feeling better. Certainly mercury is playing role in these and other issues.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Did you do this procedure?
Yeah, it was quite the ordeal. Drove 3 hours each way, and had close to 15 anaesthetic injections. Felt pretty crap the 3 days after, I think from the anaesthesia. But happy I finally got it done.

mostlylurking

Yeah, it was quite the ordeal. Drove 3 hours each way, and had close to 15 anaesthetic injections. Felt pretty crap the 3 days after, I think from the anaesthesia. But happy I finally got it done.
Very good! Keep in mind that the mercury you inhaled during the time your amalgams were in place is still with you, hopefully parked somewhere safe and stable. Sometimes it decides to break loose and party. It can make you feel pretty crappy.

The only safe way to detox from mercury (according to my environmental dentist) is Boyd Haley's Emeramide. The FDA has been sitting on its approval for over 14 years. The knock-offs are not safe as they contain heavy metals. In the meantime, I'm high dosing thiamine hcl and getting good benefit from it.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Very good! Keep in mind that the mercury you inhaled during the time your amalgams were in place is still with you, hopefully parked somewhere safe and stable. Sometimes it decides to break loose and party. It can make you feel pretty crappy.

The only safe way to detox from mercury (according to my environmental dentist) is Boyd Haley's Emeramide. The FDA has been sitting on its approval for over 14 years. The knock-offs are not safe as they contain heavy metals. In the meantime, I'm high dosing thiamine hcl and getting good benefit from it.
I have 100g of thiamine, will start on that soon and will check the other resource, thank you. Have done a LOT of detoxing in the last 5 years, so much that I have even created a 13 hour course call about detox and reducing toxic exposure. A lot of NAC actually, which probably wouldn't be approved of here, up to 4-5 grams a day at times. And lots of glycine and tmg of course. And a bunch of other stuff. Minerals up the wazoo of course.

Was monitoring my hair excretion every 3 months since beginning the program and the levels in the hair rose dramatically in the first year. Definitely being exposed to so much mercury from the age of 8 or 9 changed my personality. It made me more kooky or zany if you know what I mean. All that glutamate release and irritation of the CNS caused a lot of agitation. Feel much better now and after all the detox work I've done but there is no finish line with this stuff, as you know. Wish I'd use my sauna unit more often, though my morning red/NIR and IR light routine does get a good sweat going....

TheCodez

Did the individual experiencing this recently give birth? My wife's TSH shot to over 120 (yes, one hundred twenty) shortly after our first child was born. It was pretty terrible and came on really suddenly. I suspect that had the timing of the tests been just right (and sooner after symptoms began), it would have shown her TSH continuing to increase after treatment was started. The doc kept ramping exogenous thyroid until her TSH came back down to the single digits. That was 23 years ago. She's been taking thyroid ever since.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Did the individual experiencing this recently give birth? My wife's TSH shot to over 120 (yes, one hundred twenty) shortly after our first child was born. It was pretty terrible and came on really suddenly. I suspect that had the timing of the tests been just right (and sooner after symptoms began), it would have shown her TSH continuing to increase after treatment was started. The doc kept ramping exogenous thyroid until her TSH came back down to the single digits. That was 23 years ago. She's been taking thyroid ever since.
Did the high tsh coincide with a lot of symptoms in your wife's case?

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Yes. I've never before or since seen her in that shape. Simply gripping a toothbrush to brush her teeth was nearly impossible.
OMG. So how did you handle it? How long did it take to normalise/reduce the TSH and for her to feel an improvement?

TheCodez

OMG. So how did you handle it? How long did it take to normalise/reduce the TSH and for her to feel an improvement?
Yeah it was a pretty crazy time. We were initially concerned that it was something like ALS. We were young and I knew nothing of health problems or causes. It's was so long ago that it's a little difficult to remember exactly how things went, but I'm pretty sure there was some improvement within maybe 6 weeks, but she was by no means back to normal that quickly. We now know that she really doesn't feel well with a TSH above 0.1 and the doctor she was seeing at the time wouldn't let it get below 4. Plus she was only being treated with T4 at that time. It was many years before we found out about NDT and found a doctor that would ignore TSH and treat her according to her symptoms.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
Yeah it was a pretty crazy time. We were initially concerned that it was something like ALS. We were young and I knew nothing of health problems or causes. It's was so long ago that it's a little difficult to remember exactly how things went, but I'm pretty sure there was some improvement within maybe 6 weeks, but she was by no means back to normal that quickly. We now know that she really doesn't feel well with a TSH above 0.1 and the doctor she was seeing at the time wouldn't let it get below 4. Plus she was only being treated with T4 at that time. It was many years before we found out about NDT and found a doctor that would ignore TSH and treat her according to her symptoms.
So now you just use NDT?

mostlylurking

I have 100g of thiamine, will start on that soon and will check the other resource, thank you. Have done a LOT of detoxing in the last 5 years, so much that I have even created a 13 hour course call about detox and reducing toxic exposure. A lot of NAC actually, which probably wouldn't be approved of here, up to 4-5 grams a day at times. And lots of glycine and tmg of course. And a bunch of other stuff. Minerals up the wazoo of course.

Was monitoring my hair excretion every 3 months since beginning the program and the levels in the hair rose dramatically in the first year. Definitely being exposed to so much mercury from the age of 8 or 9 changed my personality. It made me more kooky or zany if you know what I mean. All that glutamate release and irritation of the CNS caused a lot of agitation. Feel much better now and after all the detox work I've done but there is no finish line with this stuff, as you know. Wish I'd use my sauna unit more often, though my morning red/NIR and IR light routine does get a good sweat going....
You may find this information helpful:
from this link:
"Although there are no really good tests, a hair test can often be informative. A toxic person’s hair test will usually show very low mercury because the body is holding on to it, and this can be confusing to practitioners. Andy’s book, Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities,4 explains how to analyze a hair test for deranged mineral transport, which shows up in the patterns of the essential elements. Only mercury causes deranged mineral transport."
-end paste-
I have found great benefit from high dose thiamine hcl. It contains sulfur in its molecule that mercury is attracted to. It efficiently chelates lead, which is also attracted to sulfur, but I have not read anywhere of evidence that thiamine chelates mercury. I can say that it does help with symptoms (from personal experience).

also, you may find this whole site helpful:
"SILVER AMALGAM DENTAL FILLINGS - They are NOT inert.

"Mercury fillings are dangerous in the mouth, they are dangerous taking them out, and they are dangerous once they are gone. Once those fillings are gone, the body can dump it's mercury load, and that can move a person from being chronically mercury poisoned, to being acutely mercury poisoned.

"Mercury is dangerous in the mouth, dangerous taking it out, and dangerous once it is removed. You will have a mercury redistribution after the fillings of mercury are gone, because the body will release the mercury in your cells. You can go from having a chronic case of mercury poisoning, to having an acute case of mercury poisoning very quickly.

"If you are doing the exercise CARNIVAL RIDE OF TOXINS, and you are emailing me your list of toxins, be sure to include answers to the following.

"Do you have amalgam fillings now?
How many amalgam fillings do you have now?
What year were your amalgams first placed in your mouth? How old were you?
Have you had amalgam fillings removed? When were they removed?
Were your amalgam fillings removed 'safely' from your mouth?
Do you have amalgam fillings, and also have other kinds of metals implanted into your body?"
-end paste-

I have not tried the Wilking protocol and I have not tired the Andy Cutler protocol so I cannot provide opinion about them. That said, I think that sites like these provide valuable information for consideration.

I follow the Dr. Costantini protocol he used for thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients. I have experienced major health improvements since beginning it.

I started with 300-350 mg of thiamine hcl, (available here) and experienced improvement within 45 minutes. But I'm not you. You'll just have to experiment with it. Another way to try it is to get some of the sublingual type. Here's some info about it. And here's a book about it. It is a good idea to take some magnesium with it; I use magnesium glycinate.

Thiamine Testing:

Thiamine testing is really tricky; I gave up trying after my GP was unable to find a lab in the U.S. that does the accurate test. I'm relying on my response to it and what I've learned about it on line.
Here's an article about the testing:

Thiamine Deficiency Testing: Understanding the Labs - Hormones Matter

Understanding thiamine deficiency and the lab testing methods most appropriate for detecting abnormal thiamine chemistry.

A collection of links to info about thiamine:

Navigating Thiamine Supplements- Hormones Matter

I chose to stick with thiamine hcl because I could not tolerate TTFD because my glutathione level was in the ditch due to heavy metal toxicity. Happily taking high dose thiamine hcl has normalized my glutathione level for the first time in many years. Although the amount needed (1 gram, 2Xday) is a large amount (due to poor absorption in the gut), the pure bulk powder is inexpensive. A little of it tastes as bad as a lot of it so it's just a matter of getting used to the taste. Here are some sources for info about thiamine:
Dr. Costantini's website. He successfully treated thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients in Italy using thiamine hcl. I chose to follow his protocol because I tolerate thiamine hcl better than TTFD. Dr. Costantini's FAQ's are well worth the time to read. His patient before and after videos are illuminating and very short.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's articles. He is on the far side of 99 and although is in a wheel chair and assisted living, he still has his wits about him which is a great testament to TTFD.
Daphne Brian's book about thiamine and Parkinson's Disease; she found great success using a sublingual form of thiamine which I have tried and found that it does work. This website is based on Dr. Costantini's work with thiamine hcl.
Elliot Overton's youtube channel. Excellent videos and a great way to get started learning about thiamine. Elliot focuses mainly on TTFD thiamine but the information can be extrapolated over to the other types of thiamine for general understanding. He explains the pros and cons of the different types.
Elliot Overton's website. Excellent articles under Blog. Also links to his videos.

OP
chrstn4o

chrstn4o

Forum Supporter
You may find this information helpful:
from this link:
"Although there are no really good tests, a hair test can often be informative. A toxic person’s hair test will usually show very low mercury because the body is holding on to it, and this can be confusing to practitioners. Andy’s book, Hair Test Interpretation: Finding Hidden Toxicities,4 explains how to analyze a hair test for deranged mineral transport, which shows up in the patterns of the essential elements. Only mercury causes deranged mineral transport."
-end paste-
I have found great benefit from high dose thiamine hcl. It contains sulfur in its molecule that mercury is attracted to. It efficiently chelates lead, which is also attracted to sulfur, but I have not read anywhere of evidence that thiamine chelates mercury. I can say that it does help with symptoms (from personal experience).

also, you may find this whole site helpful:
"SILVER AMALGAM DENTAL FILLINGS - They are NOT inert.

"Mercury fillings are dangerous in the mouth, they are dangerous taking them out, and they are dangerous once they are gone. Once those fillings are gone, the body can dump it's mercury load, and that can move a person from being chronically mercury poisoned, to being acutely mercury poisoned.

"Mercury is dangerous in the mouth, dangerous taking it out, and dangerous once it is removed. You will have a mercury redistribution after the fillings of mercury are gone, because the body will release the mercury in your cells. You can go from having a chronic case of mercury poisoning, to having an acute case of mercury poisoning very quickly.

"If you are doing the exercise CARNIVAL RIDE OF TOXINS, and you are emailing me your list of toxins, be sure to include answers to the following.

"Do you have amalgam fillings now?
How many amalgam fillings do you have now?
What year were your amalgams first placed in your mouth? How old were you?
Have you had amalgam fillings removed? When were they removed?
Were your amalgam fillings removed 'safely' from your mouth?
Do you have amalgam fillings, and also have other kinds of metals implanted into your body?"
-end paste-

I have not tried the Wilking protocol and I have not tired the Andy Cutler protocol so I cannot provide opinion about them. That said, I think that sites like these provide valuable information for consideration.

I follow the Dr. Costantini protocol he used for thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients. I have experienced major health improvements since beginning it.

I started with 300-350 mg of thiamine hcl, (available here) and experienced improvement within 45 minutes. But I'm not you. You'll just have to experiment with it. Another way to try it is to get some of the sublingual type. Here's some info about it. And here's a book about it. It is a good idea to take some magnesium with it; I use magnesium glycinate.

Thiamine Testing:

Thiamine testing is really tricky; I gave up trying after my GP was unable to find a lab in the U.S. that does the accurate test. I'm relying on my response to it and what I've learned about it on line.
Here's an article about the testing:

Thiamine Deficiency Testing: Understanding the Labs - Hormones Matter

Understanding thiamine deficiency and the lab testing methods most appropriate for detecting abnormal thiamine chemistry.

A collection of links to info about thiamine:

Navigating Thiamine Supplements- Hormones Matter

I chose to stick with thiamine hcl because I could not tolerate TTFD because my glutathione level was in the ditch due to heavy metal toxicity. Happily taking high dose thiamine hcl has normalized my glutathione level for the first time in many years. Although the amount needed (1 gram, 2Xday) is a large amount (due to poor absorption in the gut), the pure bulk powder is inexpensive. A little of it tastes as bad as a lot of it so it's just a matter of getting used to the taste. Here are some sources for info about thiamine:
Dr. Costantini's website. He successfully treated thousands of Parkinson's Disease patients in Italy using thiamine hcl. I chose to follow his protocol because I tolerate thiamine hcl better than TTFD. Dr. Costantini's FAQ's are well worth the time to read. His patient before and after videos are illuminating and very short.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale's articles. He is on the far side of 99 and although is in a wheel chair and assisted living, he still has his wits about him which is a great testament to TTFD.
Daphne Brian's book about thiamine and Parkinson's Disease; she found great success using a sublingual form of thiamine which I have tried and found that it does work. This website is based on Dr. Costantini's work with thiamine hcl.
Elliot Overton's youtube channel. Excellent videos and a great way to get started learning about thiamine. Elliot focuses mainly on TTFD thiamine but the information can be extrapolated over to the other types of thiamine for general understanding. He explains the pros and cons of the different types.
Elliot Overton's website. Excellent articles under Blog. Also links to his videos.
Thank you. What is interesting is that NAC/GSH, MSM, and DMSO also have sulfur, so perhaps that is why the all seemed to have a positive impact on me and my clients do well with them. I only found out earlier today that thiamine has a sulfur component! Amazing stuff, going to be digging into this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals