unexpected but positive

Kray

Blossom said:
It's an anti serotonin and antihistamine medicine that has helped many forum members myself included. I've read that RP recommends 1 mg as a starting dose to see how it effects you. 1 mg is 1/4 tablet. I think most people seem to feel drowsy from it so taking it at night time is probably wise at first. The forum is packed with information on cyproheptadine that I'm sure would help you make a decision. I found it instrumental in my healing.

Could only find it on mexicanpharmacy.com., 2mg/5mL (?) Any other sites you can point me to?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I started cyproheptadine at 1/4 of a tablet which is 1mg like Blossom said and I got super hungry. So I backed down to 1/8th of a tablet for a while and then slowly worked up.

Kray

Charlie said:
I started cyproheptadine at 1/4 of a tablet which is 1mg like Blossom said and I got super hungry. So I backed down to 1/8th of a tablet for a while and then slowly worked up.

Thanks Charlie. Where to buy?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I got mine from my doctor. He had me on another histamine that is hard on the liver. So I kindly asked him to switch it out and he said no problem. He also prescribed me ondansetron and I take a smidge of that every other day or so.

Kray

Thanks for the info. Seems I responded earlier, but I can't find it! Anyway, a new question-- if it's hard to get the cypro, do you think Benadryl is a good alternative, and is it safe to take daily?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've used both but have to admit the cyproheptadine works better for me. I'm trying to get a script now because I'm currently out. I think it may be available through themexicanpharmacy.com. I can't 100% guarantee this because I got my last script from a NP I know. The brand name is periactin.

Kray

Blossom said:
I've used both but have to admit the cyproheptadine works better for me. I'm trying to get a script now because I'm currently out. I think it may be available through themexicanpharmacy.com. I can't 100% guarantee this because I got my last script from a NP I know. The brand name is periactin.

Ok, great. Thanks for getting back to me. :)

Kray

Blossom said:

Do you know if the cyproheptadine would work any better on dermatitis allergy than other anti-histamines, or do they all have the same potential benefits for allergy relief? Just thought you might know with your medical background. Thanks :)

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm sorry, I really don't know. I actually consider my medical background a hindrance in many cases. Beyond things like anatomy and such it's mostly misinformation imo. I do know that it's highly recommended by Peat so you probably can't go wrong giving it a try. I used to have rashes that improved and then gradually resolved with cyproheptadine. This issue hasn't returned since I've run out.

Kray

Blossom said:
I'm sorry, I really don't know. I actually consider my medical background a hindrance in many cases. Beyond things like anatomy and such it's mostly misinformation imo. I do know that it's highly recommended by Peat so you probably can't go wrong giving it a try. I used to have rashes that improved and then gradually resolved with cyproheptadine. This issue hasn't returned since I've run out.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. I'll have to decide if it's worth double the cost in shipping to try the cypro. :roll: But, I'll keep it in mind; hopefully, I won't need anything! Trying to work out some food issues. Time will tell. Thanks again!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You're welcome. Best of luck to you.

Very inspiring story- it sounds like you're practically aging in reverse!

Were you afraid to try such an intense radical approach, and what inspired you to do so? This stuff all seems to make sense to me, but I'm cautious because I've believed much in the past that seemed to have good reasoning and evidence that I later realized was dead wrong (like Gary Taubes-esque insulin theory).

Also, how did your friends or family respond to this? Personally I've had an issue with this, because my friends and family point out that I am already healthier and more active than the average american (is that really the standard we should aim for??!??), and I might just be a hypochondriac trying risky things to treat non-existent diseases.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found out when I picked up my medical records from the last doctor I went to that she failed to tell me about an abnormal test result indicating a possible carcinoid tumor of the bowel. It had been 10 months since the test was done and I was really at a loss as to how to proceed. Since I work in the medical field and had received such poor treatment from the medical profession I just started doing my own research and luckily I discovered Peat's work. This was basically the end of the line for me. I've never been happier with any chance I've taken in life because this one paid off and actually gave me back not just my life, but gave me a life I never dreamed I would have. Everything's not perfect but I can walk with strength and balance, I can see clearly without visual disturbances and obviously I just simply look, feel and function better. My family and friends may not fully understand but they are happy to see me doing the best I ever have. Thanks for asking. :D

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I figured out that all the inappropriate medical advice I was following exactly promoted that scenario. I decided I'd rather take a chance and doctor myself than have another medical doctor practice on me. I read up on the various options and decided I didn't want any part of what medicine had to offer which was basically not much anyway. I started applying everything I could find from Peat and after a couple months I set up a consultation with a scientist from his links page. She pointed me toward specifics that would help get my cellular respiration back on track to healing. I don't think I have a carcinoid tumors anymore and I'll never know 100% for certain if I ever did. I did feel like I was dying at one point and there are some familial GI cancers on my mom's side of the family so it's a definite possibility. I know medicine would not have helped me and if I had made it through their treatments I would be only a shadow of the woman I am today. I contribute my success to Ray Peat, Benedicte and the forum (and myself!). Today I have no signs or symptoms of anything GI beyond some minor food intolerance. I'm still working on getting my thyroid fine tuned but that's no big deal. I'll probably get some labs soon but I never felt this good even as a child. I'm not going to complain a bit. From what I read in the mainstream I should be dead from the carcinoid tumor in mid 2017( you are given 5 years from the onset of symptoms) so I highly doubt I have that since I'm feeling better all the time. I know how I chose to handle the situation might be controversial and radical to some but we all have to do what is right for our context after all. Thanks for your interest!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
In the time after I got the medical records and before I discovered Peat I came to the realization that no matter how much time I had left on this Earth I was going to spend it in the most positive, low stress and life affirming manner possible. The thought of seeing one more doctor literally brought on panic. My decision to live life my way didn't fit with what I knew would be my reality if I became a patient once again. So it was basically possibly 5 years of me being in charge or 5 years submitting to medical mistreatment in my mind. Who wants to spend their life that way. I see it everyday and plenty of people live in that world thinking they have no choice because they are sick and they believe medicine is their only hope. But there is very little hope in medicine. It's mostly smoke and mirrors. It's a system built on illusion and lies for the most part. So even before discovering Peat I didn't want to be a part of it any longer. I chose life on my terms instead of life on medicines terms.
Nothing exists that I'm aware of that can do what this approach has done not only for me but countless others.

Lin

Wow, Blossom! What courage! I think most people would have run to their doctors in the face of such a diagnosis. You are so inspiring!
Do you find it difficult to work around doctors and carry out their orders, now that you have a different way of thinking about the human body? Are they receptive to your alternative ideas?

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lin said:
Wow, Blossom! What courage! I think most people would have run to their doctors in the face of such a diagnosis. You are so inspiring!
Do you find it difficult to work around doctors and carry out their orders, now that you have a different way of thinking about the human body? Are they receptive to your alternative ideas?
Yes, I do find it difficult to work in the medical field and I'm currently working toward getting into something else. I don't really talk much with doctors about my personal views. It would honestly be a complete waste of time unfortunately. Some other people that I work with are more open minded and we've had some nice discussions. Physicians for the most part have to protect their trade by portraying an air of competence and authority. The system is flawed on so many levels it would take a book to point them all out. The most disturbing part is the complete disregard for the portion of the Hippocratic Oath 'first do no harm'. Medicine isn't 100% wrong but pretty close imo. Science is lacking and the evidence used for the basis of treatments is usually from erroneous studies designed to make pharmaceutical companies money it seems. I've tried to find some redeeming qualities to it all but I haven't succeeded. At this point the best I can do in a day is try to relieve some human suffering(usually caused by medicine) and spread a little kindness and compassion. I've unfortunately ran into physicians who want to be disagreeable just because they can. What a shame. I naively thought at one point we were all there to help sick people but that just isn't the case. Many people seem to be in it for their egos only. I would love to see the downfall of medicine as it is currently practiced. I don't know if it will happen in my lifetime but I would like to do my part to see it change.
I didn't run to medicine for help because I felt was medicine and my compliance with medical advice caused most of my problems in the first place.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals