unexpected but positive

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Actually when I think about it I do think my skin issues that I developed on paleo have been completely repaired. It reminds me of when Peat has talked about the aged and thin skin of native arctic peoples. My husband once commented on how thin my skin was :shock:. That and calling me 'heroin housewife' because I was so skinny with bulging veins does not paint a pretty picture! Now it's almost like it never happened. I have a couple fine lines to remind me it did but that nothing in the grand scheme of things.

SQu

Thanks for the inspiration Blossom! I'm nearly at the one year mark too and you've inspired me to do a real review of progress by going over old notes. It's really great about your prolactin too! You mention knowing the symptoms of prolactin very well, like hair and scalp issues. Would you be so kind as to mention others? I'm mostly aware of PMS breast pain. Rare now, I'm happy to say, but good to know what else might suggest prolactin. Thank you!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sueq said:
Thanks for the inspiration Blossom! I'm nearly at the one year mark too and you've inspired me to do a real review of progress by going over old notes. It's really great about your prolactin too! You mention knowing the symptoms of prolactin very well, like hair and scalp issues. Would you be so kind as to mention others? I'm mostly aware of PMS breast pain. Rare now, I'm happy to say, but good to know what else might suggest prolactin. Thank you!
The symptoms I had with elevated prolactin included: extreme hairloss, non existent sex drive, irritated/itchy/painful scalp and nipple changes ( white on the end as if breastfeeding/enlarged milk ducts). I never had lactation but I've heard some people do. At the worst I almost had the desire or instinct to nurse if that makes sense?!? Maybe my brain was sending mixed signals to my body because my prolactin was so high. I had a lot of other symptoms during that time but I think most of them were my generally poor metabolism and pharma drug side effects. Those are the things I noticed and that improved as prolactin came down. Hope that is helpful.

SQu

thank you! Lots of queries here mention hairloss. A common complaint.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sueq said:
thank you! Lots of queries here mention hairloss. A common complaint.
Hair loss can be tricky since it is normal to shed some hair depending on where a person's hair is at in the growth cycle. I remember that every time I'd wash, brush or even just run my fingers through my hair large amounts would come out. I would also find hair on my clothes and pillows. It didn't stop either. I got in the habit of saving it on the side of the shower so it wouldn't clog the drain. I was fortunate that I started out with very thick hair so it wasn't noticeable. Even to this day I find myself judging the amount that falls out while washing my hair, brushing etc. It's not been that bad in years thankfully. I know there are many reasons for shedding hair but if mine starting falling out to that extent again I would probably check my prolactin right away. Until a few months ago I rarely shed any hair at all but now I do shed some. I think for me that it is a sign that my health and nutrition is good enough to support a normal hair cycle again.

Peata

Happy to read all your wonderful experiences in the last year. Congrats.

SQu

That's great Blossom! Hair loss is awful for both men and women. I was behind a woman in her forties in a queue the other day and she was almost bald. Be bald in the next year I'd guess. I imagine she's contemplating wigs and scarves now. Ironically her daughter had the thickest hair I've seen in a long time. I also notice with my daughter's classmates, some of them have thinning hair already. At 17. Is disfiguring too strong a word for this? I suppose so. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks ladies! I would have to estimate that about 20% of the older/elderly women I work with have visibly thinning hair and often excessive facial hair to go along with it! I'm not judging I just think it's an indication that something is wrong. I don't agree at all that it is only a cosmetic issue which is how modern medicine treats it. It's just another illustration of how little the medical field really understands the human body and how few effective treatments are available. I suppose these women could pay out of pocket for poisonous creams and lotions that would be needed for the rest of their lives.... That sums it up perfectly really. For example the doctor tells the patient " Don't worry, this hair issue is a normal sign of aging and it's completely cosmetic. You can use these topical products but you must pay out of pocket and use them for the rest of your life." It's sad but true. Medicine seems to choose not to get to the root cause of issues because that would interfere with business. If people understood that by paying attention to hormones, metabolism and nutrition these issues could be reversed or at least minimized that would be VERY BAD for the medical business. Sorry, sometimes I can't help but rant a little because I see this bs everyday.

Peata

And I think most of us have been subjected to it at one time or another. Instead of digging deep for the cause of something, we are offered prescriptions that are masks and bandages, and often lead to taking more pills down the line due to side effects.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
And I think most of us have been subjected to it at one time or another. Instead of digging deep for the cause of something, we are offered prescriptions that are masks and bandages, and often lead to taking more pills down the line due to side effects.
That's probably why many of us are here. I was personally on about 7 different medicines 6 years ago and the only one that was necessary or beneficial was bromocriptine. Even that one more than likely was only necessary because of a drug induced prolactinoma (although my sensible mainstream PUFA and gluten laden diet didn't help). I'm so glad that is over. Many of us on the forum have a few issues that we are working on but seeing severely sick, suffering and dying people with little hope really makes me appreciate Peat's work. That's probably why I am so enthusiastic. I watch 'medicine' fail miserably 5 days a week! I won't ramble on but my plan as a ' medical' worker is to do everything in my power to avoid being a patient. It's really BAD in my experience.

SQu

It sounds tough for you Blossom. I hope you find a way, in time, to still work in the field but in a way that's consistent with how you now feel.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sueq said:
It sounds tough for you Blossom. I hope you find a way, in time, to still work in the field but in a way that's consistent with how you now feel.
Thanks sueq. I had planned to be out of the field by now but life happens. I'm trying to view it as a learning experience for now. I'm still working towards my goals it just taking longer than expected. I appreciate your kind words!

Peat's_Girl

Blossom said:
Breasts are increased 3 cup sizes although the torso measurement has stayed the same. It finally seems I am the perfect size for me. I'm so glad now that I never got breast implants when I was younger!

Holy moly! Can I get some of that? ;D
Actually, my breasts are already pretty large (C-D cup) but I always shrug it off because I'm quite overweight.
With a threefold increase in cup size I think I will have to lock my bf in the closet for the night ;D

I relate with the body image issues, that started young for me (12yo). It makes me sad how early and how often young girls, as young as 12, get the backwards idea that their looks define their self-worth stuck in their head. We, as women, suffer from that idea well into our 50s! I'm still guilty of that, but thinking of all the time I've wasted fretting about my supposed ugliness has robbed me of the best years of my life. And now I look at myself at 16-21 and think, "What an idiot, I was gorgeous... Not fat. And all those diets just made me fatter and sicker! Imagine how much healthier I would be if I was just satisfied with my weight back then!"

So kudos to you! You're finally free!

Really jealous of your wonderful sleep and full hair! Funny how priorities change when you becomes really sick... "Fall asleep and stay asleep for full 8 hours" is at the top of my list.

;D Good job and congrats!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks Peat's_Girl. I agree with you completely. It does make me a bit sad to think of all the people (myself included) who inadvertently ruin their metabolisms trying to fit some unrealistic image. At least we have found a way to turn things around! :D
The challenging part for me was to just trust my body to do what it needed to do to heal. Ironically I had to buy new bras again yesterday so I guess that's 5 cup sizes. I sort of hope this unexpected change stops soon. I'm not complaining but I've always been small chested so this is very different for me. :P
Maybe I'm just reaching my full potential in many ways?

Ha ha...Blossom is blossoming!!! Just like a TEENAGER....you could think of this as a Giant Do-over. You've written here of your past regrets, but now you have the opportunity to do it all over again without the effed up body image issues and hangs ups (wrong thinking) that so many teens are saddled with. Congrats indeed!!!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Ha ha...Blossom is blossoming!!! Just like a TEENAGER....you could think of this as a Giant Do-over. You've written here of your past regrets, but now you have the opportunity to do it all over again without the effed up body image issues and hangs ups (wrong thinking) that so many teens are saddled with. Congrats indeed!!!
Thanks BP, that's a great analogy! I need to update this soon since so much has happened over the last several months. Where to begin.... :cool:

Blossom said:
Ironically I had to buy new bras again yesterday so I guess that's 5 cup sizes. I sort of hope this unexpected change stops soon. I'm not complaining but I've always been small chested so this is very different for me. :P

Pics or it didn't happen.... I know the guys are thinking this, unfortunately I'm the only one crude enough to say it. :lol:

I'm trying my very best not to degenerate into a vulgar teenager, I really am....sigh....today has not gone well. Tomorrow doesn't look good either :D

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
thebigpeatowski said:
Blossom said:
Ironically I had to buy new bras again yesterday so I guess that's 5 cup sizes. I sort of hope this unexpected change stops soon. I'm not complaining but I've always been small chested so this is very different for me. :P

Pics or it didn't happen.... I know the guys are thinking this, unfortunately I'm the only one crude enough to say it. :lol:

I'm trying my very best not to degenerate into a vulgar teenager, I really am....sigh....today has not gone well. Tomorrow doesn't look good either :D
:lol: yeah, not gonna happen! Thankfully I still have my middle-aged sensibilities. Now I'd definitely love to post some photos of all the new sprouts of hair growing in on my scalp but when I tried the camera just wouldn't capture that fine detail. I guess you would need a special camera or extremely thinning hair for that to show up.

sweetpeat

Reminds me of that old Seinfeld episode with Teri Hatcher: “They’re real…and they’re spectacular!” I’ve had the same, ahem, growth spurt issues plus some increased acne off and on, so I’ve been calling it my second puberty. :lol:

Blossom, you too are spectacular!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals