Desperate to find answers for my breathing problems and wheezing lasting almost an entire year non stop

ilovethesea

My confusion is if that included muscular function like holding the airway open in the larynx , hypopharynx area. It’s not really a I forget to breath kind of thing that many people with ANS dysfunction experience.
I don’t feel like I’m forgetting to breathe. I feel like my nasal passages are slightly constricted.

When I had a dental procedure that used freezing I noticed I could breathe amazingly well until it wore off. I later looked it up and found lidocaine blocks histamine.

I found these quotes from Lonsdale about histamine:

“I think that histamine is released into the skin by a message from the brain. Thiamin deficiency makes the brain more irritable so it is a possible connection.”

“Mild to moderate thiamine deficiency makes the brain controls of the autonomic nervous system hyperactive and a signal to histamine containing cells releases it. Hence the “histamine reaction”.”

mostlylurking

My confusion is if that included muscular function like holding the airway open in the larynx , hypopharynx area. It’s not really a I forget to breath kind of thing that many people with ANS dysfunction experience.
Yes, it includes muscular function like holding the airway open in the larynx. Every cell in your body relies on thiamine; it is a cofactor for several enzymes used to make ATP. But it's the autonomic nervous system that sends the signals through the nerves to make the muscles do what they are supposed to do and it most definitely needs thiamine to work.

One of my problems I had was that my peristalses in my esophagus couldn't work properly. A sip of water would get stuck and I couldn't get it to go down. I had to go yak food up out of my throat several times a week; not daily but almost. Now I'm fine, thanks to taking high dose thiamine.

P

Peatress

I know he talked about it like that in a general way. But I haven’t seen him directly suggest thiamine supplementation to people struggling with breathing/allergy issues. I’ve even written to him myself. He talked about eliminating allergenic foods, supplements with excipients, zero starches. Nothing about thiamine though. Never heard any of the “Peat practitioners” talk about it either. It wasn’t until I saw Charlie’s thread about Lonsdale that I started to look into it.

There are so many people on here who’ve written about nasal congestion when lying down. Going down the pathway of Buteyko and mouth taping when maybe it’s as simple as correcting thiamine.
Well he left a wealth of information and it goes without saying that thiamine is a essential nutrient. What he was very explicit about was the need to avoid pufa, heavy metals, vaccines, certain antibiotics, etc. These disrupt thiamine absorption and in some instances block it. Sugar in not a problem for people who are not poisoned.

The material is there - people just have to look for it.

Edit: Thiamine is amazing but it shouldn’t be imbued with properties it does not possess. For instance, it alone cannot resolve vaccine injury or radiation poisoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

mostlylurking

Well he left a wealth of information and it goes without saying that thiamine is a essential nutrient. What he was very explicit about was the need to avoid pufa, heavy metals, vaccines, certain antibiotics, etc. These disrupt thiamine absorption and in some instances block it. Sugar in not a problem for people who are not poisoned.

Edit: Thiamine is amazing but it shouldn’t be imbued with properties it does not possess. For instance, it only cannot resolve vaccine injury or radiation poisoning.
Welp, thiamine certainly helps people suffering from POTS after injury via the Gardasil vaccine. There's a pretty strong argument that many of the symptoms of injury from vaccines are the result of thiamine function getting blocked or the added stress of the vaccine causing a thiamine deficiency.

Ray Peat recommended thiamine supplementation multiple times.
Also, going here: bioenergetic search and searching for Thiamine provides multiple results.

Ray advised me personally to use thiamine and magnesium to heal my gut in an email exchange in 2020. My gut was a mess from taking antibiotics at that time. Although he cautioned me to not take more than 1500mg of thiamine hcl and I wound up needing 2 grams/day he was spot on regarding what I needed to heal my gut. I believe that the reason why I needed more than he considered wise was because I was dealing with heavy metal poisoning as the underlying cause of my problems and he was unaware of that issue.

This article discusses a theory why thiamine helps in very difficult circumstances:

P

Peatress

@mostlylurking you don't have to sell me the power of thiamine. I have been posting about thiamine on the forum for a long time and have been taking it even before I found Peat. What I was saying is that it's usefulness be considered in context with other things. I am sure your recovery was a much about thyroid, progesterone, and all the other changes you made to your life and diet rather than on thiamine alone.

My sentence was supposed to read as it alone rather than it only - I've corrected it

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking you don't have to sell me the power of thiamine. I have been posting about thiamine on the forum for a long time and have been taking it even before I found Peat. What I was saying is that it's usefulness be considered in context with other things. I am sure your recovery was a much about thyroid, progesterone, and all the other changes you made to your life and diet rather than on thiamine alone.
Please understand that my own recovery via high dose thiamine in 2020 happened after I got really sick from taking Bactrim antibiotic, which blocked my thiamine function. Previous to that time, I had been following Peat's work and implementing his advice since 2015. I had optimized my thyroid supplement for my hypothyroidism with the help of a great older endocrinologist in 2015. I had been taking progesterone and pregnenalone since 2015. My diet was excellent; no PUFA, etc. This protocol had resolved my rheumatoid arthritis in 2015. But even though I was doing all these things, I still experienced a major health crisis when my thiamine function got blocked via Bactrim antibiotic. So I can confidently report that it was the addition of high dose thiamine hcl and the higher dose of magnesium glycinate that I started October of 2020 that resolved my very serious health crisis, which had all the symptoms of Wernicke's Encephalopathy.

P

Peatress

Please understand that my own recovery via high dose thiamine in 2020 happened after I got really sick from taking Bactrim antibiotic, which blocked my thiamine function. Previous to that time, I had been following Peat's work and implementing his advice since 2015. I had optimized my thyroid supplement for my hypothyroidism with the help of a great older endocrinologist in 2015. I had been taking progesterone and pregnenalone since 2015. My diet was excellent; no PUFA, etc. This protocol had resolved my rheumatoid arthritis in 2015. But even though I was doing all these things, I still experienced a major health crisis when my thiamine function got blocked via Bactrim antibiotic. So I can confidently report that it was the addition of high dose thiamine hcl and the higher dose of magnesium glycinate that I started October of 2020 that resolved my very serious health crisis, which had all the symptoms of Wernicke's Encephalopathy.
I'm aware of your success with thiamine following the bactrim antibiotic. Which really confirms what I was saying about poisons and thiamine. Thank you for sharing your experience it's always helpful. Context is always important.

ilovethesea

Edit: Thiamine is amazing but it shouldn’t be imbued with properties it does not possess. For instance, it alone cannot resolve vaccine injury or radiation poisoning.
Of course it’s there, but my point is that he wasn’t specific about it when asked regarding allergies. No need to rush to his defense, I am just saying it’s something many people including myself have missed and maybe it’s more common than he realized.

I’m not "poisoned” 🤣 I’ve been following Ray 10 years, but I still think sugar may be a problem for me and connected to the thiamine issues like Lonsdale says. I always avoided sugar until I found Ray’s work. I remember Dodie Anderson - nutritionist who worked closely with him even said not to be afraid of white sugar and that women should be eating a lot more of it. That advice and Ray talking about zero starches led to me consuming a lot of sugar which probably made things worse.

Given that Lonsdale is so against it, and I never had these allergy problems until I started eating Ray’s way, I’m dramatically cutting back right now in addition to using thiamine. Not sure what vaccines have to do with this... I don’t take vaccines.

P

Peatress

Of course it’s there, but my point is that he wasn’t specific about it when asked regarding allergies. No need to rush to his defense, I am just saying it’s something many people including myself have missed and maybe it’s more common than he realized.

I’m not "poisoned” I’ve been following Ray 10 years, but I still think sugar may be a problem for me and connected to the thiamine issues like Lonsdale says. I always avoided sugar until I found Ray’s work. I remember Dodie Anderson - nutritionist who worked closely with him even said not to be afraid of white sugar and that women should be eating a lot more of it. That advice and Ray talking about zero starches led to me consuming a lot of sugar which probably made things worse.

Given that Lonsdale is so against it, and I never had these allergy problems until I started eating Ray’s way, I’m dramatically cutting back right now in addition to using thiamine. Not sure what vaccines have to do with this... I don’t take vaccines.
Peat doesn't need me to defend him - there is nothing to defend.

Glad you are not poisoned. Some of us, including me, are not so lucky.

mostlylurking

I’m not "poisoned” 🤣 I’ve been following Ray 10 years, but I still think sugar may be a problem for me and connected to the thiamine issues like Lonsdale says.
The thing about being "poisoned": toxins can accumulate over the years unbeknownst to you. Heavy metals are all over the place and exposure happens without being aware of it. I think what this does is that it increases your internal physical stress levels as you age. The internal physical stress is dealt with via thiamine acting as an antioxidant mainly. But this diminishes your supply of thiamine so you may need more of it as you age. Older people also have a harder time absorbing thiamine through the intestinal wall so around the same time as the toxin load gets heavier, the intestinal absorption of thiamine diminishes.

As an example, here's a list of sources for mercury:

ilovethesea

Peat doesn't need me to defend him - there is nothing to defend.

Glad you are not poisoned. Some of us, including me, are not so lucky.
Sorry to hear that.
Great because it wasn’t a criticism, I just wish I knew about this connection years ago. It’s not like I haven’t been searching.
Heres and example of a “Peat influencer” East West Healing advice on histamine... nobody ever mentions thiamine .
View: https://www.facebook.com/eastwesthealingperformance/posts/suffering-from-histamine-intoleranceif-so-you-are-probably-familiar-with-the-his/2752854638110377/

ilovethesea

The thing about being "poisoned": toxins can accumulate over the years unbeknownst to you. Heavy metals are all over the place and exposure happens without being aware of it. I think what this does is that it increases your internal physical stress levels as you age. The internal physical stress is dealt with via thiamine acting as an antioxidant mainly. But this diminishes your supply of thiamine so you may need more of it as you age. Older people also have a harder time absorbing thiamine through the intestinal wall so around the same time as the toxin load gets heavier, the intestinal absorption of thiamine diminishes.

As an example, here's a list of sources for mercury:
Makes sense! I also read something from Lonsdale saying that any upset of the intestinal microbiome can cause malabsorption of thiamine. I think he was talking about surgery but it sounds like there are many things that can do that. Or a genetic component.

mostlylurking

Makes sense! I also read something from Lonsdale saying that any upset of the intestinal microbiome can cause malabsorption of thiamine. I think he was talking about surgery but it sounds like there are many things that can do that. Or a genetic component.
My malabsorption of thiamine kicked into gear when my gut & intestinal biome got messed up via antibiotics. You might find these articles of interest:

Yes, there can be a genetic component too.

mostlylurking

@pubh12 This article may be pertinent to this thread's topic (trouble breathing, wheezing):

Last edited:
OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
@pubh12 This article may be pertinent to this thread's topic (trouble breathing, wheezing):
See, the super weird thing about my breathing troubles is they started on a super strong anti histamine regiment of ketotofin, montelukast, allegra , quercetin as well as Fludrocortisone, beta blocker and midodrine for POTS. And high dosing Magnesium Glycinate

So I don’t think Histamine is the main player. Those case studies seem to imply these were asthma attacks and not a constant state of inability to breath like me.

Mine feels as though quite literally the walls of my airway somewhere in the upper airway are “seeping down” or not holding shape with gravity. (not counting sinus or nose breathing as that’s always awful and could be Thiamine)

Like , I’ll lay down and each breath is more obstructed then the last until it kind of stops and I reach a level of crappy breathing. If this is an autonomic system failure then perhaps I could see it being a thiamine issue and I’ll keep taking it.

Btw I’m confused about acetylcholine, i get much worse condritis when I take anything that increases it. Does it NEED to be a focus ?

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
What are you taking that increases acetylcholine?
At the onset of my breathing problems I was taking Huperzine A and a quercetin compelx that had ingredients that increased it as well. I don’t take any now.

mostlylurking

At the onset of my breathing problems I was taking Huperzine A and a quercetin compelx that had ingredients that increased it as well. I don’t take any now.
Your autonomic nervous system requires acetylcholine to work properly. It needs thiamine to release acetylcholine, in the appropriate amount.

"A publication, noting that the innate immune system is a defense mechanism of vital importance for our survival, goes on to note that excessive or unwanted activation of the system is as bad as too little. It illustrates the important philosophical concept “everything in moderation”. This important nerve has its beginnings in the brain and exhibits its anti-inflammatory effects through what is called the “cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway”. This means that this nervous mechanism suppresses inflammation and absence of its activity allows it to continue. The word cholinergic refers to the chemical substance known as acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter that the vagus nerve uses. I mention this because it becomes important later in this article."

"ALTHOUGH it has long been thought that thiamine (vitamin B1) and its phosphoric acid esters might be linked directly to excitation and propagation of nerve action potentials1,2, the relationship has not been established firmly3,4. We wish to report results which suggest that involvement with synaptic transmission rather than axonal conduction might explain why vitamin B1 is required for nervous system activity. Experiments were performed on the electric organ of Torpedo marmorata, a richly innervated cholinergic tissue5. The results indicated that thiamine and its phosphoric esters are involved, either directly or indirectly, in the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh)."

frannybananny

Yes, radiation. That article explains why. Also, to be diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome is a difficult task that involves multiply imaging such as x-rays and ct scans (sometimes MRI scans). A lung condition also warrants multiply imaging,. Therefore, it’s likely that you have already exceeded safe numbers of imaging (actually I don’t know if there is a safe level and if there was it would probably be zero). Due to your medical history I think it’s plausible that you may be at risk of bone loss – therefore, why not take action to improve your bone density without needing to confirm it and avoid the risk of more radiation damage? I believe a combination of radiation and Fludrocortisone/prednisone can cause all the symptoms attributed to EDS. That’s just my unlearned opinion.
I think that is good advice @Peatress .... my doctor wants me to schedule a bone density test but my inclination is to not do it. Even if they do find that my bones are less dense or weaker what will he do.... prescribe one of those horrible drugs that you take to prevent bone loss but you might also get jaw rot? Prescribe estrogen? So when you said to take action to improve bone density without needing to confirm it did you mean exercise more? I don't take calcium but do drink a few glasses of milk a day and do take some supplements, D, K2, mag taurate, benfothiamine, folate... all the usual common ones, sometimes zinc and quercitin. Can you give me more ideas as to how to increase bone density?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals