Niacinamide may lower blood pressure in humans by raising NAD+

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study actually used the now-banned NAD+ precursor known as nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), but, as I keep reminding people, multiple studies have demonstrated statistically equivalent rise in NAD+ levels from equal doses of any of the known NAD+ precursors such as niacin, niacinamide (NAM), nicotinamide riboside (NR) and NMN. Speaking of NR, now that NMN has effectively been labelled a "drug" by the FDA and can no longer be acquired OTC, it is highly likely that NR will soon suffer a similar fate given its nearly identical history as NMN. Namely, a private company (ChromaDex) sponsoring multiple human clinical studies, which they would obviously love to recover the costs of by having NR declared a drug so that they have monopoly on its market - i.e. the exact same script as the one followed by NMN and the company that pushes its use. Thus, considering the undesirable side effects of niacin, NAM may soon remain the only OTC method for boosting the total adenine dinucleotide (AD) pool. Oxidizing agents such as methylene blue, vitamin K, CoQ10, tetracyclines, etc can raise the NAD+/NADH ratio but they achieve that by simply increasing the oxidation of NADH back into NAD+. They do not raise the total AD pool (NAD+ plus NADH), while NAM does, and the total pool size is also important for good health. As such, perhaps the optimal method for raising both the AD pool and the NAD+/NADH ratio is through using both NAM and an oxidizing agent. A combination of NAM and a few milligrams (mg) of methylene blue or vitamin K seems like a very good option for achieving that.

But I digress, so back to the study. It had both an animal model and a human "arm", which makes it that much more relevant, since it demonstrates the validity of the NAD+ deficiency model in CVD across multiple species, while also directly demonstrating its intervention effectiveness for reversing NAD+ deficiency, in both animals and humans. Namely, the study demonstrated that NAD+ levels are about 50% lower in animals and humans with cardiovascular disease (CVD), that hypertension (one of the core signs/symptoms of CVD) is directly controlled by NAD+ levels, and that administration of an NAD+ precursor both restored NAD+ values to healthy levels and lowered hypertension and biomarkers of blood vessel damage. Since hypertension is such a core sign/symptom of CVD and raising NAD+ levels was therapeutic, it begs the question whether raising NAD+ levels would not also be therapeutic for CVD as a whole. My readers know the answer to that question, much to the chagrin of Big Pharma. The interesting mechanism here is that NAD+ levels were lower in people with CVD due to overactive enzyme CD38. That enzyme consumes/degrades NAD+ and while NMN may have simply acted as an NAD+ precursor to offset the effects of CD38, plain old NAM may have an additional advantage/trick up its sleeve in that (unlike NMN) it is also a direct inhibitor of CD38, and thus superior to a simple precursor such as NMN. As far as the regimen - participants took 800mg NMN once daily, orally for 6 weeks and that regimen was enough to raise NAD+ levels by 40%+ - i.e. effectively restore NAD+ to a level seen in healthy controls.

NAD+ exhaustion by CD38 upregulation contributes to blood pressure elevation and vascular damage in hypertension - Signal Transduction and Targeted Therapy

"...This research begins with a discussion of NAD+ and its nature as a fundamental aspect of human metabolism. In particular, the authors home in on the immune factor CD38, which has been previously found to suppress NAD+. Blocking CD38 has been found to improve the metabolism of aged mice [1]. Macrophage infiltration, in which immune cells penetrate the blood vessels and release CD38, has been found to release inflammatory cytokines, which encourage CD38 expression [2]. As previous research has found that the NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside (NR) may have positive effects on arterial stiffness in people [3], these researchers decided to use another precursor, nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), to determine if this NAD+ supplement would help in hypertension. First, the researchers examined 102 people, 52 of whom were healthy and 50 of whom were recently diagnosed with hypertension. While the relative levels of NAD+ precursors were similar, the hypertensive group had far less NAD+ than the healthy group. Similarly, there was an inverse correlation with blood NAD+ and blood pressure. The researchers also looked specifically at the aortas of hypertensive patients. They found that NAD+ was depleted by nearly half in this tissue. These results were recapitulated in mice. However, these biometrics were substantially improved in mice given NMN, which enjoyed lower blood pressure and better aortic health. This was also tested in people. A total of 19 people completed a second study, in which 9 were treated with lifestyle modifications and 10 were treated with lifestyle modifications plus NMN. As expected, NMN significantly increased NAD+ in the treated group. Diastolic blood pressure was not affected to the level of statistical significance, but systolic blood pressure was significantly reduced in the NMN group. Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity, a marker of blood vessel damage, was also reduced in the NMN group."

cremes

On a recent Mercola interview he mentioned offering a 50mg Niacinamide pill soon. You responded that you'd be a buyer.

I'll do you one better. Put on your Idealabs hat and just produce a niacinamide offering where some reasonable number of drops equals 50mg. A pure niacinamide product is a huge gaping hole in the Idealabs lineup. I'll expect the announcement here any day now...

Regina

The study actually used the now-banned NAD+ precursor known as nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), but, as I keep reminding people, multiple studies have demonstrated statistically equivalent rise in NAD+ levels from equal doses of any of the known NAD+ precursors such as niacin, niacinamide (NAM), nicotinamide riboside (NR) and NMN. Speaking of NR, now that NMN has effectively been labelled a "drug" by the FDA and can no longer be acquired OTC, it is highly likely that NR will soon suffer a similar fate given its nearly identical history as NMN. Namely, a private company (ChromaDex) sponsoring multiple human clinical studies, which they would obviously love to recover the costs of by having NR declared a drug so that they have monopoly on its market - i.e. the exact same script as the one followed by NMN and the company that pushes its use. Thus, considering the undesirable side effects of niacin, NAM may soon remain the only OTC method for boosting the total adenine dinucleotide (AD) pool. Oxidizing agents such as methylene blue, vitamin K, CoQ10, tetracyclines, etc can raise the NAD+/NADH ratio but they achieve that by simply increasing the oxidation of NADH back into NAD+. They do not raise the total AD pool (NAD+ plus NADH), while NAM does, and the total pool size is also important for good health. As such, perhaps the optimal method for raising both the AD pool and the NAD+/NADH ratio is through using both NAM and an oxidizing agent. A combination of NAM and a few milligrams (mg) of methylene blue or vitamin K seems like a very good option for achieving that.

But I digress, so back to the study. It had both an animal model and a human "arm", which makes it that much more relevant, since it demonstrates the validity of the NAD+ deficiency model in CVD across multiple species, while also directly demonstrating its intervention effectiveness for reversing NAD+ deficiency, in both animals and humans. Namely, the study demonstrated that NAD+ levels are about 50% lower in animals and humans with cardiovascular disease (CVD), that hypertension (one of the core signs/symptoms of CVD) is directly controlled by NAD+ levels, and that administration of an NAD+ precursor both restored NAD+ values to healthy levels and lowered hypertension and biomarkers of blood vessel damage. Since hypertension is such a core sign/symptom of CVD and raising NAD+ levels was therapeutic, it begs the question whether raising NAD+ levels would not also be therapeutic for CVD as a whole. My readers know the answer to that question, much to the chagrin of Big Pharma. The interesting mechanism here is that NAD+ levels were lower in people with CVD due to overactive enzyme CD38. That enzyme consumes/degrades NAD+ and while NMN may have simply acted as an NAD+ precursor to offset the effects of CD38, plain old NAM may have an additional advantage/trick up its sleeve in that (unlike NMN) it is also a direct inhibitor of CD38, and thus superior to a simple precursor such as NMN. As far as the regimen - participants took 800mg NMN once daily, orally for 6 weeks and that regimen was enough to raise NAD+ levels by 40%+ - i.e. effectively restore NAD+ to a level seen in healthy controls.

NAD+ exhaustion by CD38 upregulation contributes to blood pressure elevation and vascular damage in hypertension - Signal Transduction and Targeted Therapy

"...This research begins with a discussion of NAD+ and its nature as a fundamental aspect of human metabolism. In particular, the authors home in on the immune factor CD38, which has been previously found to suppress NAD+. Blocking CD38 has been found to improve the metabolism of aged mice [1]. Macrophage infiltration, in which immune cells penetrate the blood vessels and release CD38, has been found to release inflammatory cytokines, which encourage CD38 expression [2]. As previous research has found that the NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside (NR) may have positive effects on arterial stiffness in people [3], these researchers decided to use another precursor, nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), to determine if this NAD+ supplement would help in hypertension. First, the researchers examined 102 people, 52 of whom were healthy and 50 of whom were recently diagnosed with hypertension. While the relative levels of NAD+ precursors were similar, the hypertensive group had far less NAD+ than the healthy group. Similarly, there was an inverse correlation with blood NAD+ and blood pressure. The researchers also looked specifically at the aortas of hypertensive patients. They found that NAD+ was depleted by nearly half in this tissue. These results were recapitulated in mice. However, these biometrics were substantially improved in mice given NMN, which enjoyed lower blood pressure and better aortic health. This was also tested in people. A total of 19 people completed a second study, in which 9 were treated with lifestyle modifications and 10 were treated with lifestyle modifications plus NMN. As expected, NMN significantly increased NAD+ in the treated group. Diastolic blood pressure was not affected to the level of statistical significance, but systolic blood pressure was significantly reduced in the NMN group. Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity, a marker of blood vessel damage, was also reduced in the NMN group."
raised NAD+ 40%!!! That's stunning.
Thx for posting this research.

Snicky

On a recent Mercola interview he mentioned offering a 50mg Niacinamide pill soon. You responded that you'd be a buyer.

I'll do you one better. Put on your Idealabs hat and just produce a niacinamide offering where some reasonable number of drops equals 50mg. A pure niacinamide product is a huge gaping hole in the Idealabs lineup. I'll expect the announcement here any day now...
I think that is what I am already buying.

I’ve never taken more than one of these per day but would like to know if it’s worth bumping things up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 49

aliml

The pharmacokinetics of nicotinamide were studied in four human volunteers after oral doses of 1–6 g. Plasma concentrations and clearance rates of the vitamin were found to be dose-dependent, with a half-life of ∼7–9 h for the two highest doses administered (4 and 6 g), ∼4 h with 2 g and ∼1.5 h with a 1-g dose. Peak concentrations ranged from 0.7 to 1.1 μmol·ml−1 after a 6-g dose. The time to reach peak plasma concentration was dose independent with a broad range from 0.73 to 3 h. In this study, nicotinamide had no detectable effect on blood pressure, pulse or body temperature.
The importance of nicotinamide dose on inducing blood pressure changes in mice and humans was investigated. In humans, the average resting systolic and diastolic pressures were 122.8 mmHg and 80.6 mmHg, respectively. They were unchanged during the first 3 h after ingestion of either 3 g or 6 g nicotinamide. The resting value in mice was 115.1 mmHg and this was significantly reduced following intraperitoneal injection of 400-1000 mg/kg nicotinamide. This decrease was maximal within 15-30 min after injection and was linearly dependent on drug dose. At doses of 200 mg/kg or less, no significant effect on blood pressure was observed.

David PS

NAM (niacinamide) continues to be the best value and a strong player in the B3 and the NAD+ raising analogs market. Thanks reminding the forum that NAM also impacts CD38 levels which rise expondentially with age. (see graph)

ChromaDex is not only sponsoring multiple human clinical studies but they are also filing patent applications. They are working on getting a monopoly the old-fashioned way. That is obtaining a patent. Apparently, they want to exclude pharmaceutical companies from competing with them and/or increase the price of licensing fees to their future competitors. Here is an assignee search for issued patents and patent applications that are at least 18 months old.

Last edited:
niacin, niacinamide (NAM), nicotinamide riboside (NR) and NMN.
There are some good interviews on YouTube from various Dr's/PhD's on each of those products. Would be good to see you do interviews with some of the people.
Some other people have been doing various tests which is nice. Niacin raises NAD levels much more than NMN.
Hopefully this becomes more common with people doing various tests for products.

Niacin (Dr Hoffer):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIC-WpcZr-0

Niacinamide (Dr Conlon):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFR_3En274

NMN (Dr Sinclair):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWT7hVgwuM

NR (Dr Brenner)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQUdVlffiY

Niacin vs NMN Nad test (Dr Lustgarten)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_CY7LrFPwU

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

There is not much demand from our clients for just niacinamide as a product. Energin, which has 100mg per dose, seems to satisfy most people.
As far as the Mercola comment, not sure what got edited, but the context of the talk was niacinamide solely as NAD+ precursor, for which the lower doses (50mg-100mg per pop) work best. At higher doses, niacinamide dose inhibit NAMPT and thus limit its own conversion into NAD+, but it may compensate for that effect by inhibiting enzymes that lower NAD+ such as PARP-1 and CD38. So, the net effect of higher doses of niacinamide may still be higher NAD+ due to those secondary mechanisms. I think the optimal dose is individual. I know people who feel best on 100mg daily and others (usually older and/or sick) who do not feel an effect unless they take 1g+ daily. So, as usual, experimentation is the only way to find out what works best for each person.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Soo 800 mg NMN is equivalent to 800 mg Niacinamide???

the reduction in systolic BP on the graph seems relatively nominal - about 5 points. Still statistically significant though I suppose.

1696598082721.png

Dr. B

I ordered legion supplements b complex. Not for daily usage, but for using every other day in my case. Is 500mg niacinamide in a single dose safe once a week?

Can you discuss dosing for niacinamide? I used 500mg twice a day for about a month and there was no weight loss. Instead actually gained a couple pounds. It causes increased acne which im wondering is maybe due to it increasing keratin? So it maybe clogs the hair follicle more often which causes acne.
It causes a puffy face, dry shrunken eyes. The eyes basically go from large to more of an Asian or Latino appearance.
It also seems to cause water retention in the feet.

For me these are all deal breakers… as far as the acne i think any supplement that slows digestion seems to cause acne… on another thread you mentioned niacinamide causing constipation. When i tried 1000mg all st once it actually caused diarrhea. But otherwise it does seem to cause slowed digestion.

I was experimenting with CBD at one point and blamed cbd for effects that were actually niacinamide. So i have to redo the cbd experiment.

I am thinking i could maybe continue niacinamide 500mg once a week only, with a carb heavy meal or starchy meal.

I also got legions b complex supplement which unfortunately has silica and magnesium stearate but at the same time someone posted that silica can help detox certain heavy metals and I would only be using this product 4x a week.

It has the best dosages and ratios ive found of any b complex which is why i got it. Each capsule has 7.5mg b1 hcl, 5mg each of R5P and P5P, 12.5mg each of niacinamide and b5, 50mcg biotin, 125mg each of inositol and choline, 200mcg folate, 50mcg methyl b12 and 50mg ubiquinone.

I dont know if b1 megadosing is safe due to manganese depletion and maybe other b vitamin depletion.
Btw my plan is on the other 3 days of the week to use nutrabio zma which provides 3.5mg pyridoxine hcl, 10mg zinc 150 magnesium. All alongside 1000iu d3, 20mg policosanol, 500mg nigella sativa seed oil, and i may also add in 50mg CBD daily.

So everything even the vitamin D is pretty low dosage, close to the rda amounts for all of these nutrients, other than the 50mcg b12 in the b complex.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals