The Ocean’s Mysterious Thiamine Deficiency

YourUniverse

I like to eat oranges as my main source of B1. Assuming wikipedia is correct, 100g of orange has 0.087mg of B1. Assuming the target is 1.1-1.2mg p/day, if you were aiming to get all your B1 from a single source (unlikely), that is 1.3kg of oranges p/day.

Oranges are cheap and available all year round where I live. I find them tasty and they have other benefits as discussed on the forums. Since B1 is heat sensitive, usually you'll lose some B1 in other foods that are cooked. Oranges are eaten raw - so no B1 loss. No anti-nutrients in fruit - so absorption isn't going to be inhibited. It wouldn't surprise me that if you got the bulk of your B1 from oranges that the rda is effectively lower.

The main risk here would be if you get an excess of a nutrient from this amount of oranges. The likely culprit would be vitamin c. There is some risk it could interfere with copper absorption, or that it de-loads copper from ceruloplasmin. Chris Masterjohn explains below. You could mitigate this risk by having slightly fewer oranges p/day.

I was concerned that citric acid interferes with thiamine in some way

OP
cjm

cjm

have you tried adding aspirin too?

I added 7g aspirin to 9g thiamine and soaked for 30 minutes. Aspirin makes the heat of the bath more tolerable. Ray said, “rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water,” and I'd bet movement disorders in general would benefit. Aspirin, specifically salicylic acid, should increase the absorption of anything else in your bath/solvent.

“Sokolov, while working on the absorption through the skin of potassium iodide, bromide and chloride from petrolatum or hydrous wool fat, concluded that all these salts were absorbed only when salicylic acid was added to the ointments. He believed that the keratolytic action of salicylic acid was absolutely necessary for the absorption of any drug, that it acted as a kind of "path maker,"... " Studies on ointments. II. Ointments containing salicylic acid. (Strakosch, 1943)

@Regina @ecstatichamster

I am looking for the Sokolov reference.

Sokolov, N. M.: Ueber die Resorption einiger Salze durch die Haut bei Einreibung derselben in Form von Salben, Arch. f. Dermat. u. Syph. 30:115, 1895; 35:271, 1896.

Last edited:

Regina

I added 7g aspirin to 9g thiamine and soaked for 30 minutes. Aspirin makes the heat of the bath more tolerable. Ray said, “rheumatic problems have been treated by adding the drug to bath water,” and I'd bet movement disorders in general would benefit. Aspirin, specifically salicylic acid, should increase the absorption of anything else in your bath/solvent.

“Sokolov, while working on the absorption through the skin of potassium iodide, bromide and chloride from petrolatum or hydrous wool fat, concluded that all these salts were absorbed only when salicylic acid was added to the ointments. He believed that the keratolytic action of salicylic acid was absolutely necessary for the absorption of any drug, that it acted as a kind of "path maker,"... " Studies on ointments. II. Ointments containing salicylic acid. (Strakosch, 1943)

@Regina @ecstatichamster

I am looking for the Sokolov reference.

Sokolov, N. M.: Ueber die Resorption einiger Salze durch die Haut bei Einreibung derselben in Form von Salben, Arch. f. Dermat. u. Syph. 30:115, 1895; 35:271, 1896.
That's awesome.
And the thiamine doesn't stain the bathtub?
thx

LA

Lean pork. Seems like countries that thrive on refined carbs (mostly white rice) eat pork.
Not only that benefit, there is a thread here someplace on this forum, which mentions that pork has excellent vitamin K.
I have found that to be turn "for me" since I kept having a bloody nose even if I took Vit K supplements. After we started eating Pork at least every 4 to 5 days my nose bleeds stopped.
My ancestors in Italy lived high-high up in the mountains, at the top of the highest mountain in Southern Italy (Basilicata) where they grew no grain. My father's mother actually told me that they had no grain and never heard of pasta or pizza until the sales people from Naples started climbing up the mountain once a month during the no-snow season (about mid-May to mid-October) to sell their grains and other farmers-market items. Pork (and Lamb) was eaten by my father's ancestors since there was no room for big animal herds in those areas.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thiamine baths, like the treatment for fishies, work for humans as well (personal observation).
What benefits are you seeing from the thiamine baths?

OP
cjm

cjm

That's awesome.
And the thiamine doesn't stain the bathtub?
thx

It smells of sulfur but not visibly stained. I bet the smell comes right out with some soap and scrubbing.

What benefits are you seeing from the thiamine baths?

I have deep "holds" in my muscles, I suspect from overstimulation in general, but I have symptoms of ammonia excess and the thiamine (and aspirin) is helping with all that, as well as with recovering from my daily stress.

Ben.

I tried the thiamine bath 2 days ago and also a thiamin footbath yday.

It is a realy profound effect that i cant say i have experienced orally before. As if it reaches parts of the body it usually woudn't. B-vitamins dont agree to much with me when dosed high and repedeatly causing stomache/digestion issues such as constipation (ironicly they are praised for helping in that regard ... wierd.)

Used 8g+ thiamine and 2 b-complex capsules and epson salt (magnesium sulphate). Even 2 days after i feel as if my body is comfortably "light" and the musculoskeletal system and the disorders i have with it are severly less intense/hurtful.

The only downside eventho the body feels calm the nervous system feels somewhat overstimulated. Maybe reducing dosage and consuming more magnesium/potassium/choline and trace minerals are necessary.

A nutrient healing/reujvenation tank like in the movies would be cool.

OP
cjm

cjm

I tried the thiamine bath 2 days ago and also a thiamin footbath yday.

It is a realy profound effect that i cant say i have experienced orally before. As if it reaches parts of the body it usually woudn't. B-vitamins dont agree to much with me when dosed high and repedeatly causing stomache/digestion issues such as constipation (ironicly they are praised for helping in that regard ... wierd.)

Used 8g+ thiamine and 2 b-complex capsules and epson salt (magnesium sulphate). Even 2 days after i feel as if my body is comfortably "light" and the musculoskeletal system and the disorders i have with it are severly less intense/hurtful.

The only downside eventho the body feels calm the nervous system feels somewhat overstimulated. Maybe reducing dosage and consuming more magnesium/potassium/choline and trace minerals are necessary.

A nutrient healing/reujvenation tank like in the movies would be cool.

I was thinking a footbath would be a really good idea. A way to either dip one's toes in to see how it feels, or in my case, to target weary feet. I was also keen to add magnesium.

But I also felt a kind of reach, a "penetration" from the bath (with aspirin) in my hips and shoulders that are bricked, virtually immobile without conscious intervention. The "light" feel is something I'm after as well. I remember when a cup of coffee did the trick.

Interesting observation about the overstimulation. I wonder if sugar in the first place would work, but minerals are rarely not wise, especially calcium and magnesium, which I take along with copper and zinc if my diet is not providing.

mostlylurking

The Ocean’s Mysterious Vitamin Deficiency | Hakai Magazine

Full link above, some select quotes below.

The Ocean’s Mysterious Vitamin Deficiency​

A puzzling lack of thiamine is disrupting some marine ecosystems.

“In the early 20th century, a small and invasive herring species called the alewife spread through the Great Lakes ecosystem, displacing the lakes’ native forage species. Alewife contains high concentrations of thiaminase, and as it became a major food source for lake trout, and other native fishes, the larger fish developed chronic thiamine deficiency. Their natural reproductive success deteriorated, and the trout’s population cratered. The Great Lakes’ saga illustrates the outsized impact that one single nutrient can have on an entire ecosystem.”

“In California, thiaminase has become a lead suspect in the case of the Sacramento River’s salmon. Due to recent changes in surface water temperature, the coastal array of forage species has shifted. Chinook in this region usually eat a diverse range of prey, including many small fish species, krill, and squid. Yet for months—possibly years—before the 2020 spawning season, the salmon subsisted almost exclusively on northern anchovy, a species rich in the thiamine-destroying enzyme.”

“Affected animals behave abnormally, suffer neurological and reproductive disorders, and can eventually die.”

“The symptoms he has observed in thiamine deficient animals are so severe, he explains, that if natural phenomena were the cause, affected animal populations would have vanished or adapted long ago. Balk believes human activity is somehow sapping ecosystems of vitamin B1, either by blocking production or obstructing its passage from one trophic level to the next.”

“Within a few years, Balk and his team of international collaborators had found thiamine deficiency affecting Baltic Sea blue mussels and eels captured along the North American east coast. By then, scientists were paying more attention to a particularly insidious threat of thiamine deficiency: its sublethal impacts, which, short of killing an individual, can severely affect stamina, strength, coordination, and memory, among other functions. In birds, along with reproductive failures, the condition may cause paralysis and a loss of the ability to vocalize. Ultimately, sublethal effects are about as bad as, if not worse than, lethal ones because they can harm creatures, and alter their behavior, over long periods of time without scientists even realizing it. This phenomenon, which Balk and his colleagues have written about, could have major implications for wildlife research efforts going back several decades.
Thiamine deficiency might not be limited to the water either. Balk says he has tested liver, brain, and blood samples from moose in southern Sweden and measured the levels of enzymes that correlate to thiamine activity. His results, he says, point toward “severe” thiamine deficiency.”

“Honeyfield also has a working hypothesis that some broad environmental change has altered thiamine production at the base of the food web. “If there’s no synthesis going on at the bottom, then there’s no source to feed up through to the top predators,” Honeyfield says. “Exactly how that is playing out is a big, big question.””

“Most of the hatcheries on the river have treated the problem by bathing the fry in thiamine solution, while the Coleman facility also injected the adult females with thiamine.”

I just found this article:
"Thiamine (vitamin B1), an aminopyrimidine ring linked by a methylene bridge to a thiazolium ring, is a water-soluble vitamin needed in all living cells, and as such it is a possible target for noxious influence by environmental disturbances. Inside animal cells, non-phosphorylated thiamine (T) is phosphorylated to thiamine diphosphate (TDP), which functions as a cofactor in at least five life-sustaining enzymes required for basic cellular metabolism, whereas thiamine monophosphate (TMP) is a degradation product, which is recycled or excreted. During the last few decades, severe thiamine deficiency has been observed in wildlife, such as fish1, reptiles2, and birds3. A number of research projects, in both North America and Europe, have investigated the problem and tried to find the underlying cause4,5,6. So far, however, no general cause has been found. The purpose of the present investigation was to provide a better basis for a biochemical understanding of the problem. We also found that thiamine deficiency in aquatic wildlife was much more widespread than previously reported, both geographically and among taxa—a finding that may be related to recently observed thiamine depletion in the aquatic environment7. Thiamine deficiency is ultimately lethal, but it also has a number of preceding sublethal health effects, such as memory and learning disorders, immunosuppression, damage to the blood-brain barrier, neurological disorders, reduced food intake, and altered carbohydrate, protein, and lipid metabolism8,9,10,11. Thiamine deficiency was systematically investigated in seven feral species belonging to three animal classes: bivalves, ray-finned fishes, and birds. The investigation covered 45 stations in 15 regions in the Northern Hemisphere (Fig. 1, Fig. S1a–o, Table S1).

When working with feral animals in the field, the occurrence of thiamine deficiency may be demonstrated in several ways, not only by comparison of central tendency with non-thiamine-deficient (control) specimens: 1) control values may be known from the literature, as e.g. in the case of latency (percentage apoenzyme, i.e. the degree of missing cofactor) of thiamine-dependent enzymes; 2) the range of observed values, of e.g. thiamine concentrations and enzyme activities, is usually larger in a group of specimens with various degree of thiamine deficiency than in a group where all specimens are non-thiamine-deficient; 3) remediation of specimens by thiamine treatment proves that the specimens were thiamine-deficient before the treatment; and 4) typical clinical symptoms associated with subsequent mortality are indicative of thiamine deficiency. We employed all of these approaches to demonstrate thiamine deficiency, and their rationale is described in more detail in the Methods. The thiamine deficiency biomarker responses in the feral species were confirmed in laboratory experiments with domestic chicken (Gallus gallus) and blue mussel (Mytilus sp.). The primary biochemical effects of the thiamine deficiency were also linked to a number of secondary effects, such as reduced swimming endurance, impaired growth, lowered body condition, reduced reproductive outcome, parasite infestation, and altered blood chemistry and composition. Many previous investigations, especially in salmonines (Salmoninae, a subfamily within Salmonidae), have focused mainly on the relationship between thiamine deficiency and mortality, without consideration of sublethal effects, which occur at substantially higher thiamine concentrations than the reduced levels of thiamine associated with direct mortality. A growing awareness of the importance of sublethal thiamine deficiency led us to revisit previously published data on thiamine concentrations in salmonine eggs in order to find the threshold for sublethal thiamine deficiency. Because thiamine deficiency obviously has a strong negative impact on both reproduction and survival, our hypothesis, that thiamine deficiency may be a significant contributor to population declines in many ecosystems in the Northern Hemisphere, was strongly supported."

-end paste-

I'm wondering what the effect of the increased EMF from all those towers is doing to the living creatures (including us). Shouldn't this be considered an environmental disturbance with "noxious influence" (see above)? The tie in for me is this article which explains that thiamine supplementation helps EMF sensitivity:

OP
cjm

cjm

I'm wondering what the effect of the increased EMF from all those towers is doing to the living creatures (including us). Shouldn't this be considered an environmental disturbance with "noxious influence" (see above)? The tie in for me is this article which explains that thiamine supplementation helps EMF sensitivity

EO is a consummate researcher-scientist, his articles are so thorough and this one is great, thanks for sharing. The only missing piece is quantifying the influence of EMF in the real world, which has to have been studied. It is categorically noxious (edit: bold statement without having done any research yet)

mostlylurking

EO is a consummate researcher-scientist, his articles are so thorough and this one is great, thanks for sharing. The only missing piece is quantifying the influence of EMF in the real world, which has to have been studied. It is categorically noxious (edit: bold statement without having done any research yet)
Devra Davis is the expert on it, I think.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwLJOxXGOww

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwyDCHf5iCY

OP
cjm

cjm

And I'm off to the literature with Devra Davis in tow! Thank you for a path in.

"A number of respected infertility clinics in Australia, India, USA, and Iran are reporting that those who regularly use mobile phones tend to have reduced sperm quantity and quality." Proteomic impacts of electromagnetic fields on the male reproductive system (Sepehrimanesh & Davis, 2016)

More here: RECENT SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS BY EHT EXPERTS AND ADVISORS

Cell phones make sense as a primary vector of disease transmission. Then there are routers and cell phone/5G towers, just thinking off the top of my head. I remember 5G being a big deal but I never looked into it a couple years ago when various news items were making the rounds.

Personally, I recently started wearing a shielded eyemask to bed or whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed. My eyes and forehead become noticeably more relaxed after a few minutes. I slept deeply enough last night (after the bath, with 600 grams epsom salts added, again small-ish tub, 50 gallons max) that upon rising this morning when the eyemask is typically cast off because of tossing and turning, it was still over my eyes.

Last edited:

Nick

I just found this article:
"Thiamine (vitamin B1), an aminopyrimidine ring linked by a methylene bridge to a thiazolium ring, is a water-soluble vitamin needed in all living cells, and as such it is a possible target for noxious influence by environmental disturbances. Inside animal cells, non-phosphorylated thiamine (T) is phosphorylated to thiamine diphosphate (TDP), which functions as a cofactor in at least five life-sustaining enzymes required for basic cellular metabolism, whereas thiamine monophosphate (TMP) is a degradation product, which is recycled or excreted. During the last few decades, severe thiamine deficiency has been observed in wildlife, such as fish1, reptiles2, and birds3. A number of research projects, in both North America and Europe, have investigated the problem and tried to find the underlying cause4,5,6. So far, however, no general cause has been found. The purpose of the present investigation was to provide a better basis for a biochemical understanding of the problem. We also found that thiamine deficiency in aquatic wildlife was much more widespread than previously reported, both geographically and among taxa—a finding that may be related to recently observed thiamine depletion in the aquatic environment7. Thiamine deficiency is ultimately lethal, but it also has a number of preceding sublethal health effects, such as memory and learning disorders, immunosuppression, damage to the blood-brain barrier, neurological disorders, reduced food intake, and altered carbohydrate, protein, and lipid metabolism8,9,10,11. Thiamine deficiency was systematically investigated in seven feral species belonging to three animal classes: bivalves, ray-finned fishes, and birds. The investigation covered 45 stations in 15 regions in the Northern Hemisphere (Fig. 1, Fig. S1a–o, Table S1).

When working with feral animals in the field, the occurrence of thiamine deficiency may be demonstrated in several ways, not only by comparison of central tendency with non-thiamine-deficient (control) specimens: 1) control values may be known from the literature, as e.g. in the case of latency (percentage apoenzyme, i.e. the degree of missing cofactor) of thiamine-dependent enzymes; 2) the range of observed values, of e.g. thiamine concentrations and enzyme activities, is usually larger in a group of specimens with various degree of thiamine deficiency than in a group where all specimens are non-thiamine-deficient; 3) remediation of specimens by thiamine treatment proves that the specimens were thiamine-deficient before the treatment; and 4) typical clinical symptoms associated with subsequent mortality are indicative of thiamine deficiency. We employed all of these approaches to demonstrate thiamine deficiency, and their rationale is described in more detail in the Methods. The thiamine deficiency biomarker responses in the feral species were confirmed in laboratory experiments with domestic chicken (Gallus gallus) and blue mussel (Mytilus sp.). The primary biochemical effects of the thiamine deficiency were also linked to a number of secondary effects, such as reduced swimming endurance, impaired growth, lowered body condition, reduced reproductive outcome, parasite infestation, and altered blood chemistry and composition. Many previous investigations, especially in salmonines (Salmoninae, a subfamily within Salmonidae), have focused mainly on the relationship between thiamine deficiency and mortality, without consideration of sublethal effects, which occur at substantially higher thiamine concentrations than the reduced levels of thiamine associated with direct mortality. A growing awareness of the importance of sublethal thiamine deficiency led us to revisit previously published data on thiamine concentrations in salmonine eggs in order to find the threshold for sublethal thiamine deficiency. Because thiamine deficiency obviously has a strong negative impact on both reproduction and survival, our hypothesis, that thiamine deficiency may be a significant contributor to population declines in many ecosystems in the Northern Hemisphere, was strongly supported."

-end paste-

I'm wondering what the effect of the increased EMF from all those towers is doing to the living creatures (including us). Shouldn't this be considered an environmental disturbance with "noxious influence" (see above)? The tie in for me is this article which explains that thiamine supplementation helps EMF sensitivity:
I think the hypothesis that this widespread thiamine deficiency is showing up as an effect of electromagnetic pollution is very plausible. It would be just one of many ways that the widespread damage manifests since EMF interferes with cellular and mitochondrial function at such a basic level.
The links from Arthur Firstenburg's website Cellular Phone Task Force are a good place to start researching electromagnetic pollution as well as his book The Invisible Rainbow.

OP
cjm

cjm

I think the hypothesis that this widespread thiamine deficiency is showing up as an effect of electromagnetic pollution is very plausible. It would be just one of many ways that the widespread damage manifests since EMF interferes with cellular and mitochondrial function at such a basic level.
The links from Arthur Firstenburg's website Cellular Phone Task Force are a good place to start researching electromagnetic pollution as well as his book The Invisible Rainbow.

From the website: "Our Mission | The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe."

Dang! I will get my hands on a copy of the book. There's 118 pages of it available here. Chapter 7 is titled Acute Electrical Illness and has a crazy picture of Baltimore from 1889:

1688860605349.png

A quick excerpt:

1688860788461.png

Dude, this book is wild:

1688862328484.png

Again from the website re: the book: "Electricity is at once the spark of life and the undoing of it." My comment about EMF being categorically noxious was categorically wrong. EMF is just electricity, or is there a consensus of what frequencies are harmful to where we're all referring to a certain range as EMF?

More: "It is a must-read that begins in the year 1746 and explains what has gone wrong..."

I just remembered looking into neurasthenia in connection with radio frequency sickness:

"Neurasthenia (from the Ancient Greek νεῦρον neuron "nerve" and ἀσθενής asthenés "weak") is a term that was first used at least as early as 1829" Neurasthenia - Wikipedia

"At the turn of the 20th century a mysterious illness emerged. The first people to be affected by it were the telegraph line installers and the telephone switch board operators. The symptoms of the illness included: nerve disorders, hence the name neurasthenia or nervous asthenia, depression, extreme anxiety, exhaustion, convulsions, unconsciousness, rashes, and a whole host of other malaise.

The afflictions became so bad that in 1907, the Bell telephone switchboard operators in Toronto went on strike. They demanded much shorter working hours and better working conditions.

In the 1950s with the invention of microwave frequencies, radar operators started suffering with similar symptoms that they called radio wave or microwave illness."
The disease of “modern” civilization . . . neurasthenia - Dr. Magda Havas, PhD

Attachments

• 1688860593554.png
    1688860593554.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

mostlylurking

And I'm off to the literature with Devra Davis in tow! Thank you for a path in.

"A number of respected infertility clinics in Australia, India, USA, and Iran are reporting that those who regularly use mobile phones tend to have reduced sperm quantity and quality." Proteomic impacts of electromagnetic fields on the male reproductive system (Sepehrimanesh & Davis, 2016)

More here: RECENT SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS BY EHT EXPERTS AND ADVISORS

Cell phones make sense as a primary vector of disease transmission. Then there are routers and cell phone/5G towers, just thinking off the top of my head. I remember 5G being a big deal but I never looked into it a couple years ago when various news items were making the rounds.

Personally, I recently started wearing a shielded eyemask to bed or whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed. My eyes and forehead become noticeably more relaxed after a few minutes. I slept deeply enough last night (after the bath, with 600 grams epsom salts added, again small-ish tub, 50 gallons max) that upon rising this morning when the eyemask is typically cast off because of tossing and turning, it was still over my eyes.
A shielded eyemask huh.... Thanks for the link. I've been envisioning getting some chain mail draperies to block my bed from the red blinking tower a quarter mile south of my bedroom. I suppose I could simply purchase the chain mail head gear and an eye mask instead! Hah!!

OP
cjm

cjm

A shielded eyemask huh.... Thanks for the link. I've been envisioning getting some chain mail draperies to block my bed from the red blinking tower a quarter mile south of my bedroom. I suppose I could simply purchase the chain mail head gear and an eye mask instead! Hah!!

Chain mail?! Wild, I love it! Does it need to be made of a certain metal?

mostlylurking

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Here's another article about the universal thiamine deficiency issue:

mostlylurking

Chain mail?! Wild, I love it! Does it need to be made of a certain metal?
Walmart, Ebay, etc. has chain mail available! No need to make it yourself! Available at the big box stores now!!
1688863015444.png

Maybe it's a new trend... for those of us who have figured out the powers that be are trying to exterminate us....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals