The Ocean’s Mysterious Thiamine Deficiency

OP
cjm

cjm

Nice, thanks! It's already off to a good start:

1688863015045.png

From this reference: Thiamine Level in Type I and Type II Diabetes Mellitus Patients: A Comparative Study Focusing on Hematological and Biochemical Evaluations (Anwar et al., 2020)

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

Walmart, Ebay, etc. has chain mail available! No need to make it yourself! Available at the big box stores now!!
View attachment 52715

Maybe it's a new trend... for those of us who have figured out the powers that be are trying to exterminate us....

The EMF eyemask purports to shield through the incorporation of silver into the fabric. Does zinc-plated steel as in the Walmart chainmail (haha, I love how people look in chainmail, so ancient and austere) afford similar protection?

mostlylurking

The EMF eyemask purports to shield through the incorporation of silver into the fabric. Does zinc-plated steel as in the Walmart chainmail (haha, I love how people look in chainmail, so ancient and austere) afford similar protection?
You're asking me???? I have no clue. But I think, to be on the safe side, sterling silver chainmail would be most desirable and fetching!

View: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/528539706253156235/

Nick

I'm not so sure shielding materials work if you are touching them. Metal "shields" from EMF by absorbing it like an antenna, so if you are touching the shielding then it is being absorbed and then flowing into your body somewhat like electrical current

OP
cjm

cjm

I'm not so sure shielding materials work if you are touching them. Metal "shields" from EMF by absorbing it like an antenna, so if you are touching the shielding then it is being absorbed and then flowing into your body somewhat like electrical current

Well now I'm lost

mostlylurking

Well, rats.... Back to the drawing board. Maybe copper window screening draperies would be the ticket then. Or a fine filigree sterling silver mosquito netting bed canopy.... I bet it's already available for the discriminating survivalist!

OP
cjm

cjm

Well, rats.... Back to the drawing board. Maybe copper window screening draperies would be the ticket then. Or a fine filigree sterling silver mosquito netting bed canopy.... I bet it's already available for the discriminating survivalist!

I never knew you'd have such fine taste. On the other hand, with regards to starting over, I stand by the benefits I'm getting from the eyemask, so I won't be back to the drawing board empty-handed.

OP
cjm

cjm

I was thinking after 70 posts back to the title of this thread and the original article about the fishies eating the other fishies whose bodies contain thiaminase -- well, the mystery got solved right there. We're presumably wondering about own thiamine deficiencies (or insufficiencies), but should we try and pivot in at least a sub-sub-thread (right here, in this thread) to the land wildlife being studied that is suffering from it as well, maybe try and tie it into the EMF angle if that weren't already implied? You know, all the world is mad? I ain't touching it tonight. Just puttering around, turning the steering wheel in the right direction so all I have to do is hit the gas mañana.

Last edited:

Ben.

Just did another bath today. Can totally recommend it. Feels very rejuvenating making your body relaxed and light. Awsome. Like a plant that finally gets enough water/sunshine and becomes alive again.

Wanted to say thank you very much @cjm. Coming from years of chronicly tight and hurting muscles and low energy this means alot to me.
So simple yet effective.

OP
cjm

cjm

Just did another bath today. Can totally recommend it. Feels very rejuvenating making your body relaxed and light. Awsome. Like a plant that finally gets enough water/sunshine and becomes alive again.

Wanted to say thank you very much @cjm. Coming from years of chronicly tight and hurting muscles and low energy this means alot to me.
So simple yet effective.

I looove the analogy. Something has been lit in you, sir!

OP
cjm

cjm

I was perplexed as my eyes bathed under the mask last night. Is the interface of the silver and my skin providing a light electrical stimulation, i.e., are my eyes just tired and getting a TENS/Zapper-like boost? Nah, brah! Though it might be acting like a tiny little heating pad. See below.

The silver fabric reflects EMF and then transmits the remainder to the skin at a reduced intensity:

1688922434233.png

"When they hit the surface of a material, EM rays cause the charge in the material to oscillate. This forced oscillation of the charge acts as an antenna and results in reflection, whereas the other part is converted into thermal energy due to the oscillation. This kind of signal loss is known as attenuation due to absorption. Thus, the protective property of the material against EMR is based on the reflection against the conductive surface and the absorption in the conductive volume. Part of the wave is reflected, while the rest is transmitted and weakened as it passes through the medium." Electromagnetic Shielding Properties of Knitted Fabric Made from Polyamide Threads Coated with Silver (Pušić et al., 2021)

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

Maybe copper window screening draperies would be the ticket then.

"Why Can't I Just Use Lead or Copper or Aluminum Foil for Magnetic Shielding?

In the strictest sense, magnetic shielding is not truly shielding at all. Unlike the way a lead shield stops X-rays, magnetic shielding materials create an area of lower magnetic field in their vicinity by attracting the magnetic field lines to themselves. The physical property which allows them to do this is called “permeability“.

Here’s how the permeabilities of some common materials compare:
Air ……….. 1
Copper …… 1
Aluminum … 1
Tin …………. 1
Lead ………. 1

Nickel ……………… 100
Commercial Iron … 200
Stainless Steel ……. 200
MagnetShield …….. 4000"

Shielding FAQs | Less EMF

---So the Walmart chainmail has something going for it.

OP
cjm

cjm

"Why Can't I Just Use Lead or Copper or Aluminum Foil for Magnetic Shielding?

The M in EMF stands for magnetic. It is the mechanism by which EMF causes harm and the reason why shielding exists. The electric lines in the picture are radiating magnetic energy.

Forgive me if I am belaboring this point, or rather if anything has already been implied. Ray's insistence on having proper context to effectively communicate stuck with me. It stuck with @charlie too since the forum name appears to be "Perceive, Think, Act," which came from this interview:

"I start with trying to make a context clear, because everyone’s context is different, and meanings change when they are learned. Ideally, things should make no sense until they make the right sense.... Since the contextuality of communication is always in the foreground when I talk or write, you know that someone is confusing me with an authority when they talk about my “protocol” for something. Context is everything, and it’s individual and empirical." Ray Peat Interviews Revisited | Vision and Acceptance

Last edited:

mostlylurking

I never knew you'd have such fine taste. On the other hand, with regards to starting over, I stand by the benefits I'm getting from the eyemask, so I won't be back to the drawing board empty-handed.
I was an interior designer in a previous lifetime. I've got an eyemask too. It's got some kind of gel filling and very cushy. There's a lot to be said for cushy bedtime eyewear.

OP
cjm

cjm

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

Vk080HP8YecZP17dISrD-xtCkCx9SRi7ouDm1bgR3G8DTDkjcsmD6VOmL93Vqzr_QMV0WypUSffkR9B2V7hu6WcgKK3NVUMvvnbLdjkT5Rl_ofN3-BvTy76Og94gHnDLnUgKRdYJPGhmhWcf9GEY6N8

[basic mechanism of harm of EMF, a mention of thiamine, “neurocirculatory asthenia”]

BJhykjbGNtJNOyHntUOvOnlbsTnNx0ht-WPjgCcv-9QBUZpD58y7plYn2b7bQHhGul2W2MGJUX85hEKsGExASIbFlNSiKR1MZwpCeMDK01Wd30kR5bWUql-0kr67BafQelETaObQ20k7xAAnZZfduMI

[The Invisible Rainbow, p. 168]

THVOReYRRDhWU02-dzsscZnOwa2wdimsDiHVzAZKz2WYNfPacxmGuJBZgqqWmWaEyMQUtgvucrez8eCYXhnDbzsf6ZiM9fq-AIIRq7aRummJocDxYfF7zfUQOXN1knxcbINqndudQxDgjt-AnLDlltc

[p. 171]

W32ilSN40iK5Ay9F_tbow6U-a4AqZxjUuf9FQELKx-FAIxUzFZwTzT76buVYYHvjhnJ1i6BP_5DLsJHX26h9sJKU_DtM7LeYQ0b9tmxJ_0cxhy4-bJWNvAwrKURDLFxB_ubvT_njy9KnGMK314E9LyA

[p. 172]

Last edited:

aliml

Dietary factors potentially impacting thiaminase I-mediated thiamine deficiency​

Abstract​

Fish population declines from thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency have been widespread in ecologically and economically valuable organisms, ranging from the Great Lakes to the Baltic Sea and, most recently, the California coast. Thiamine deficiencies in predatory fishes are often attributed to a diet of prey fishes with high levels of thiamine-degrading (e.g., thiaminase) enzymes, such as alewives, rainbow smelt, and anchovies. Since their discovery, thiaminase I enzymes have been recognized for breaking down thiamine into its pyrimidine and thiazole moieties using various nucleophilic co-substrates to afford cleavage, but these studies have not thoroughly considered other factors that could modify enzyme activity.

We found the thiaminase I enzyme from Clostridium botulinum efficiently degrades thiamine in the presence of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) as a co-substrate but has relatively limited activity in the presence of nicotinic acid (vitamin B3). Using fluorescence measurements, thiamine degradation in an over-the-counter complete multivitamin formulation was inhibited, and a B-complex formulation required co-substrate supplementation for maximal thiamine depletion.

These studies prompted the evaluation of specific constituents contributing to thiaminase I inhibition by both chromatography and fluorescence assays:
Cu2+ potently and irreversibly inhibited thiamine degradation;
Ascorbic acid was a strong but reversible inhibitor;
Fe2+, Mn2+ and Fe3+ modulated thiamine degradation to a lesser degree.

The enhancement by pyridoxine and inhibition by Cu2+ extended to thiaminase-mediated degradation from Burkholderia thailandensis, Paenibacillus thiaminolyticus, and Paenibacillus apiarius in tryptic soy broth supernatants. These co-substrate limitations and the common presence of inhibitory dietary factors complement recent studies reporting that the intended function of thiaminase enzymes is to recycle thiamine breakdown products for thiamine synthesis, not thiamine degradation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals