Low Toxin Studies Zinc & Selenium Supplementation Significantly Raises Metabolic Rate

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The present study found a significant increase in the RMR after co-administration of 200 mcg of selenium L-selenomethionine and 25 mg of Zn gluconate, with the thyroid function hormones remaining unaffected. Furthermore, significant improvements in Se status and TUG performance were detected in the supplementation group compared to the placebo group. However, despite the larger improvements in body composition, cardiorespiratory fitness, and most of the remaining functional capacity outcomes of the intervention group, no time × group effect was found. Finally, even though the duration of the intervention, the dosages, and the forms of Se and Zn supplements used in the present study were effective, more research is needed to reveal the most effective combinations of the two micronutrients.
Source

High_Prob

How do you gauge whether an academic study is actually useful or not to be trusted? You seem to be against academia but this can’t fully be the case since you cite academic studies. Do you just trust any study that supports your theory and dismiss anything else? Is there anything that you look for in the study to help you gauge whether it is useful or not? Any particular academic institution and/or journal that you do trust?

This question is for everyone, not just Charlie.

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How do you gauge whether an academic study is actually useful or not to be trusted? Do you just trust any study that supports your theory and dismiss anything else? Is there anything that you look for in the study to help you gauge whether it is useful or not? Any particular academic institution and/or journal that you do trust?

This question is for everyone, not just Charlie.
I am posting this study because it matches my personal experience. For the first time in my metabolic adventure my heart rate is finally increasing and I am taking both of these so it made sense to me. I am more interested in personal experience then studies these days, but this one rang true because I am experiencing it.

High_Prob

I am posting this study because it matches my personal experience. For the first time in my metabolic adventure my heart rate is finally increasing and I am taking both of these so it made sense to me. I am more interested in personal experience then studies these days, but this one rang true because I am experiencing it.
Do you prefer Gluconate over Picolinate?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Do you prefer Gluconate over Picolinate?
Picolinate is where it's at. Dr. Smith in his clinical practice has tried them all. He says nothing raises Zinc levels like Picolinate does. He advises that people should not take over 30mg a day unless they are testing. I take about 20mg a day.

High_Prob

Picolinate is where it's at. Dr. Smith in his clinical practice has tried them all. He says nothing raises Zinc levels like Picolinate does. He advises that people should not take over 30mg a day unless they are testing. I take about 20mg a day.
Does he prefer Picolinate because of its connection to Nicotinic acid? Does it have a good effect on mood?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Does he prefer Picolinate because of its connection to Nicotinic acid? Does it have a good effect on mood?
He prefers Picolinate because it works the best. He did not learn about the benefits of Nicotinic Acid till just recently, so that was not part of his decision for liking it.

Izzybelle

I haven't read the study, but maybe that's why Ray Peat suggested oysters (zinc) and non-oily fish (selenium) once a week or so. That's my understanding anyway. He always thought it was better to get minerals from food, but when I can't get oysters I'll take a zinc picolinate now and then.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I haven't read the study, but maybe that's why Ray Peat suggested oysters (zinc) and non-oily fish (selenium) once a week or so. That's my understanding anyway. He always thought it was better to get minerals from food, but when I can't get oysters I'll take a zinc picolinate now and then.
Oysters are the bottom feeding filters of the sea and are highly toxic. Plus, they have high copper which is toxic. Oysters are not fit for human consumption.

TheSir

It's the selenium. Selenium boosts oxidation powerfully regardless of zinc intake. Zinc in itself is gently sedating, meaning that it slows down metabolism.

FitnessMike

For the first time in my metabolic adventure my heart rate
what was your resting pulse before and nowadays if I may ask? and how long have you seen such improvements for?

Zinc indeed feels very dopaminergic and raises my resting pulse rate, but it causes insomnia sooner or later.

That was from mixed citrate, picolinate, and gluconate.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
what was your resting pulse before and nowadays if I may ask? and how long have you seen such improvements for?

Zinc indeed feels very dopaminergic and raises my resting pulse rate, but it causes insomnia sooner or later.

It was low 60's and now it is right near 80. It took me about 1.5 years to see the heart rate increase. Zinc can cause insomnia because it is detoxing copper.

TheSir

You could test if the problem persists with supplementa that don't contain picolinates. Picolinic acid inhibits dopamine beta-monooxygenase (DBM) which is responsible for converting dopamine to noradrenaline. Paradoxically this leads to higher noradrenaline release via the dopaminergic stimilation.

FitnessMike

You could test if the problem persists with supplementa that don't contain picolinates. Picolinic acid inhibits dopamine beta-monooxygenase (DBM) which is responsible for converting dopamine to noradrenaline. Paradoxically this leads to higher noradrenaline release via the dopaminergic stimilation.
Im afraid i had insomnia using other forms too, sulfate and glycinate.

Hidden49

It's the selenium. Selenium boosts oxidation powerfully regardless of zinc intake. Zinc in itself is gently sedating, meaning that it slows down metabolism.
Yeah exactly, zinc slows my metabolism down, it doesn't speed it up... And it's not because its copper dumping I got over copper toxicity along time ago. Also zinc is making me hypothyroid as in I feel colder outside and slower

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I never knew that, thanks. I always thought of it as being androgenic and good for energy etc.
Copper is excitement and destructive energy, zinc is calming and restorative energy.

InChristAlone

Yeah exactly, zinc slows my metabolism down, it doesn't speed it up... And it's not because its copper dumping I got over copper toxicity along time ago. Also zinc is making me hypothyroid as in I feel colder outside and slower
How do you know it is the zinc if you are still using vit A supplements?

Hidden49

Yeah exactly, zinc slows my metabolism down, it doesn't speed it up... And it's not because its copper dumping I got over copper toxicity along time ago.
Well I did low Vitamin A diet for a year and a half without any Vitamin A and when I took the zinc back in that period it worked way worse metabolism wise than it does now. Also, as I've told you many times already, the parapack I take now is completely different to taking a single Vitamin A supplement on its own... I don't know how many times I need to explain this to you. And guess what when I take the parapack it actually makes the zinc work much better than if I take the zinc on its own, why is that? Because zinc is needed to make Vitamin A work properly. And the parapack is raising the oxidation rate and turning on correct metabolism so minerals are used up correctly.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals