Breathing issues and ocean air

iLoveSugar

As per my recent threads, my breathing, asthma, etc has been pretty bad over the past two years.

I just went on a week long vacation to the Outer Banks where we stay in an ocean front home. I've noticed that each year I go to the ocean, I don't have these issues hardly at all there.

I thought closer to sea level is worse? Is it possible that asthmatics or people with other breathing issues can do better on the ocean?

Pete Rey

I can attest to this. My allergies disappeared when I worked on ships in a warm climate for 2 years, and came back with a vengeance when I returned to the Ohio valley. I think that for whatever reason, at least as it relates to respiration, the salty ocean air is a greater positive than holding on to less CO2 is a negative. And really, at least in my case, we're talking a difference of maybe 500-800' versus sea level. Probably not that significant.

Last edited:

LA

As per my recent threads, my breathing, asthma, etc has been pretty bad over the past two years.

I just went on a week long vacation to the Outer Banks where we stay in an ocean front home. I've noticed that each year I go to the ocean, I don't have these issues hardly at all there.

I thought closer to sea level is worse? Is it possible that asthmatics or people with other breathing issues can do better on the ocean?
I hope you improve.
I always feel best close to the Pacific ocean although not living on the edge of it as it gets too dark too soon; some months it is almost pitch dark at 5pm. I dont have asthma although If I go too far inland I cannot breath from the smog and heat. My husband says NO to the humidity of the east-coast otherwise it 'seems' like Florida and the Atlantic would be very good too. The important thing in many areas is to live up-steam since usually that has the best fresh, clean water. For instance, Mississippi Hill people are healthier than those living in the Delta which is full of polluted run-off. This is true for all places. Upstream water is the best. downsteam water has more pollution.

HeyThere

Maybe try one of those mist inhaler machines off amazon, the little hand held ones work great. Buy the saline tubes that you put into them.

There is something about your normal air that is bothering you... you can probably figure out by systematic elimination. You could have a pollen allergy. Fresh sea air doesn't really have dust, pollen, or other allergens or irritants. It also tends to be more humid.

You could re-create similar air conditions at home with HEPA filters and a humidifier.

GTW

Could be mold\spores. Levels in indoor and outside air have great variation according to conditions, season, climate.

I always feel best close to the Pacific ocean
The life expectancy of Pacific coast oceanfront communities are crazy high for low altitude places... look at Marin County in California for example. I suspect a portion of this is from the quality of the air coming straight off the ocean- no smog, industrial pollution, etc. Of course, it's hard to disentangle that from the fact that people that can afford to live there are also mostly wealthy leisure class people that eat expensive health food, and get lots of low stress outdoor activity like hiking in beautiful places.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yeah, an alternative may be that I just move somewhere oceanfront. I love the ocean and the mountains.

I live at the ocean, on the beach, some parts of the year. I think the air is awesome. It's the negative ions, supposedly. Dr. Peat pointed out that the lungs detoxify serotonin by carrying it platelets through the lungs and in the alveoli where the serotonin is destroyed if there are enough negative ions.

mrsmith

I had a very positive breathing experience when i visited Costa Rica, I noticed it right away the first day.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals