Desperate to find answers for my breathing problems and wheezing lasting almost an entire year non stop

mostlylurking

Where did you have edema? My whole inner lining of both cheeks swelled up after Fludrocortisone and I’m thinking maybe it’s from potassium deficiency. But edema in the mouth or airway isn’t a common manifestation.
I noticed it mainly in my ankles and my knees. I had a problem with it for many years, off and on.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
@Hans

I read your article on acetylcholine excess/déficency and was wondering if you could chime in if you think my persistening breathing and wheezing issues could be from excess choline or acetylcholine. In my OP, points 1 and 2 cover most of why I think it could be that. However anticholinergic drugs do not restore the breathing and I’ve been off Huperzine and alpha gpc for a year

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans

I read your article on acetylcholine excess/déficency and was wondering if you could chime in if you think my persistening breathing and wheezing issues could be from excess choline or acetylcholine. In my OP, points 1 and 2 cover most of why I think it could be that. However anticholinergic drugs do not restore the breathing and I’ve been off Huperzine and alpha gpc for a year
I'd look into gut health first. Perhaps do an organic acid test from MosiacDX to see what's going on.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Update :

My serotonin was found the be elevated in the blood. Perhaps this is causing the chronic bronchoconstriction? I don’t know if that’s possible. Cyproheptadine didn’t give me any relief. But it probably also didn’t really bring it down either.

youngsinatra

Update :

My serotonin was found the be elevated in the blood. Perhaps this is causing the chronic bronchoconstriction? I don’t know if that’s possible. Cyproheptadine didn’t give me any relief. But it probably also didn’t really bring it down either.
I‘d think that it’s likely driven by a gastrointestinal problem, as most of the serotonin is produced or at least stimulated from there.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
I‘d think that it’s likely driven by a gastrointestinal problem, as most of the serotonin is produced or at least stimulated from there.
I’ve had a carcinoid in my lungs that was removed but nothing was found in the colon. I don’t know what could be causing it to be so high for so long. Well, I do have the MAOA mutation so I probably don’t break down serotonin much at all which may or may not be the reason.

I’m taking aspirin and Pepcid to try and get it lower but I was taking cyproheptadine right up until I was tested and still it was high. They’re going to try a somatostatin on my I beleive soon in January. . I can’t find much about those on this site. Googling says they’re pretty prolific at lowering serotonin but I’ve not seen it recommended here. Any other suggestions?

youngsinatra

Sorry I meant, do you have digestive symptoms? My colonoscopy and stomach scan was also clean, but I still had IBS, dysbiosis, SIBO, biliary dyskinesia worsening my digestion.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Sorry I meant, do you have digestive symptoms? My colonoscopy and stomach scan was also clean, but I still had IBS, dysbiosis, SIBO, biliary dyskinesia worsening my digestion.
I do , i Have constant diarrhea and often have blood in my movements. Cramps a lot.

youngsinatra

I do , i Have constant diarrhea and often have blood in my movements. Cramps a lot.
Sorry to hear that. I used to have that, too, for almost 2 years straight. :(
Lots of serotonin symptoms from that!!

Only thing that helped me so far was a strict elimination diet, limiting dietary fat to max. 10g/meal, some form of tolerable fiber & low dose B1 and B5 (!) to help regulate stomach acid, bile flow, digestive enzyme production and motility.

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear that. I used to have that, too, for almost 2 years straight. :(
Lots of serotonin symptoms from that!!

Only thing that helped me so far was a strict elimination diet, limiting dietary fat to max. 10g/meal, some form of tolerable fiber & low dose B1 and B5 (!) to help regulate stomach acid, bile flow, digestive enzyme production and motility.
Thanks, compared to my breathing issues the GI stuff is nothing though

I was just reading about how most serotonin breakdown occurs in the lungs, but specifically in the endothelial cells in the lungs. I’ve seen it widely said that endothelial cells are damaged from covid and other things like autoimmune conditions. If a damaged endothelial in the lungs were also contributing to the failure to break down serotonin that could explain maybe why all this seemed to hit me after covid. Do you know much about repairing endothelial cells? Would aspirin be good for this?

OP
P

pubh12

Forum Supporter
I'd look into gut health first. Perhaps do an organic acid test from MosiacDX to see what's going on.
Hi Hans

So I got my blood serotonin checked and it was elevated at 1548 ng/L. I read your ways to lower serotnin article and noticed you mentioned bronchoconstriction as a symptom of elevated serotonin. Is it possible that this elevated serotonin is casuing bronchoconstriction to persist 24/7 for over a year and not come and go? Have you ever heard of that happening ?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hi Hans

So I got my blood serotonin checked and it was elevated at 1548 ng/L. I read your ways to lower serotnin article and noticed you mentioned bronchoconstriction as a symptom of elevated serotonin. Is it possible that this elevated serotonin is casuing bronchoconstriction to persist 24/7 for over a year and not come and go? Have you ever heard of that happening ?
Tianeptine enhances serotonin re-uptake and is great for asthma/bronchoconstriction. But ultimately, gut issues and nutritional deficiencies are likely the main reasons for your elevated serotonin.

Clyde

There seems to be a lot of things that block thiamine function, including pharmaceutical drugs; also things like coffee, black tea. Sugar uses thiamine up when it is converted into energy (ATP) because thiamine is a co-enzyme in that conversion. Thiamine found in food is absorbed via the intestine. If the intestine has been compromised/damaged/injured, thiamine absorption will be diminished. As people age, their intestines become less able to absorb thiamine. Thiamine deficiency is believed to be the cause of all the dementia diseases common in old age.

In addition, I'm finding more and more things that stress the body also deplete thiamine. Heavy metals delete thiamine. So does polyunsaturated fat. I suspect that the body uses thiamine to combat the oxidative stress from these things some how. Thiamine deficiency causes all kinds of damage from oxidative stress.

Here's a basic explanation for why thiamine is so important:
This article also mentions the importance of magnesium; here's an article about magnesium that explains why it is so important:

You might find this article of interest

Yes, mega-dosing thiamine (taking in pharmaceutical doses) is being used like medication.
Very interesting. Ty for the thoughtful response to my question.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals