Coffee protein cross reaction

LucH

tara said:
I'm not recommending it for the OP or for all situations, but are you aware that Peat describes coffee more like a vitamin than a toxin?
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml
Thanks for catching my attention on this article.
Well, there are plenty advantages for coffee drinkers when they limit their consummation to 2 or 3 cups 125 ml a day. It’s sure.
But not for people suffering from anxiety or for very few people with an immune-pathology.

When adrenals overload is artificially boosted by coffee, it isn’t “bad” for all other health purposes. It’s just a sign there is a problem there.

By the way, let me tell the other readers this:
Coffee contains caffeine of course, and [highlight=yellow]caffeine contains protein, 10 % of which may cause a cross-reaction with antibodies present by people intolerant to gluten (sensitivity to gluten with cross-reactions).[/highlight]
Source
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... nk-coffee/
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ne#p290957

Second post in French, with testimonies of people in trouble with coffee, chocolate and thee. They all contains alkaloids and theobromine.
Theobromine from chocolate and cocoa acts on the cardiac muscle (pressure) and it expands, it relaxes (This is the case on smooth muscle but not on the heart). But the function of the cardia is to close the esophagus and thus to prevent gastric reflux. I would avoid chocolate in times of crisis.
I had this problem (esophagitis, hiatal hernia); now it's past, except very rarely ... I then adapt myself to the situation...
But for most people, coffee is ok, when they do not suffer from unbalance diet, when they do not suffer from an acid-base imbalance, anxiety ...
LucH
PS: Nestor345 is my former “pseudo” (nickname).

PS2: Alkaloid is often considered as a way of defence from plants.
http://cemaforad4.u-strasbg.fr/depotcel ... lantes.doc (in French)

EnoreeG

Re: thyroid or adrenals?? Need help!!

LucH said:
Coffee contains caffeine of course, and [highlight=yellow]caffeine contains protein, 10 % of which may cause a cross-reaction with antibodies present by people intolerant to gluten (sensitivity to gluten with cross-reactions).[/highlight]
Source

Second post in French, with testimonies of people in trouble with coffee, chocolate and thee. They all contains alkaloids and theobromine.

Great links, Luc! Glad to find out about the gluten/coffee cross-reaction. It's news I'm excited to pass on to others. Thanks!

Stuart

LucH said:
Coffee contains caffeine of course, and [highlight=yellow]caffeine contains protein, 10 % of which may cause a cross-reaction with antibodies present by people intolerant to gluten (sensitivity to gluten with cross-reactions).[/highlight])
LucH, coffee beans contain both protein and caffeine -1,3,7-trimethylxanthine. But caffeine doesn't contain protein does it? So if you consume just caffeine, not coffee, you can't have a gluten sensitivity reaction can you?

Giraffe

EnoreeG said:
LucH said:
Source

Great links, Luc! Glad to find out about the gluten/coffee cross-reaction. It's news I'm excited to pass on to others. Thanks!
It seems there's not much science behind the claims that there might be a cross-reaction between caffeine and gluten.

OP
LucH

LucH

Stuart said:
LucH, coffee beans contain protein and caffeine. But caffeine doesn't contain protein does it?
Yes, it does, in very small amount (trace element for caffeine).
Coffee beans are seeds. The seeds of coffee plant. In the seeds you find reserves.

The coffee bean contains: Nonvolatile nitrogenous compounds (including alkaloids, trigonelline, proteins and free amino acids), carbohydrates, ...
+ unknown fragments of peptides, acting as opioides (that have an effect similar to morphine).
http://www.rt.com/news/226091-coffee-pr ... ne-brazil/

OP
LucH

LucH

[/quote]
It seems there's not much science behind the claims that there might be a cross-reaction between caffeine and gluten.[/quote]
Science is not always going to tell you what you may or not eat when you are intolerant.
You need to listen to your own sensations, to trust yourself. Ground evidence (la preuve du terrain => here, body evidence). Not what the science says.
As long as there is no double-blind test, there will be no evidence. And it is not possible to test everything double blind.
There are still a lot of doctors who believe that intolerant to gluten and milk are illuminated / “fantaisistes”.
I'm not going to discuss this point here (OS).
Everyone won't agree.
Let me say again: Very few people have cross-reaction with coffee. Very few !!! But they do exist. See testimonies on the second link above.
LucH :salute

Stuart

LucH said:
Stuart said:
LucH, coffee beans contain protein and caffeine. But caffeine doesn't contain protein does it?
Yes, it does, in very small amount.
Coffee beans are seeds. The seeds of coffee plant. In the seeds you find reserves.

The coffee bean contains: Nonvolatile nitrogenous compounds (including alkaloids, trigonelline, proteins and free amino acids), carbohydrates, ...
+ unknown fragments of peptides, acting as opioides (that have an effect similar to morphine).
http://www.rt.com/news/226091-coffee-pr ... ne-brazil/
Yes I understand that coffee beans contain all sorts of things including protein and caffeine.
I'm talking just about the caffeine, nothing to do with the coffee bean.
The chemical substance caffeine doesn't contain any protein does it? It doesn't contain any calories. How can it?
'There are calories in coffee, but not in caffeine.
Caffeine has no calories, however coffee has around two (2) calories per 8 ounces.
I think you are talking about coffee beans, not caffeine. :)
I'm not disputing that people who are gluten sensitive will have a cross reaction to coffee. No argument there. But not to caffeine itself.
And of course the psychoactivity/addictive factor with caffeine (not coffee, caffeine) can cause lots of OTHER problems, but not gluten sensitivity, that's all.

EnoreeG

Giraffe said:
EnoreeG said:
LucH said:
Source

It seems there's not much science behind the claims that there might be a cross-reaction between caffeine and gluten.

Giraffe -- I haven't ever read about a claim of cross-reaction between caffeine and gluten. The studies I was talking about were those provided by LucH. They make it clear that caffeine is not involved, right from the start of the article. (Doesn't matter whether you are using decaf or not.) We're talking here about protein cross-reaction. If you read the article, you'll see it's protein in coffee we are talking about.

10% of coffee is a protein that cross reacts with gluten antibodies

Stuart: Yes, you are right, coffee. The article said coffee.

Giraffe

EnoreeG said:
Giraffe -- I haven't ever read about a claim of cross-reaction between caffeine and gluten. The studies I was talking about were those provided by LucH.
LucH did not provide any studies. Or am I missing something?

Sorry to OP.

:threadjack

OP
LucH

LucH

Stuart said:
Yes I understand that coffee beans contain all sorts of things including protein and caffeine.
I'm talking just about the caffeine, nothing to do with the coffee bean.
The reaction threshold is variable, depending on the sensitivity of the individuals, and may be deferred, and thus not perceptible (decoding).
The FDA found that for the most sensitive people with intestinal lesions, the detection limit is 0.4 milligrams of gluten per day (1 / 200th of a teaspoon of flour), while the symptoms start 0.015 mg of gluten per day (less than 1 / 500th of a spoon flour coffee). For example, taking a Host at Mass (holy Bread) may be enough to trigger reactions remote ...
There is obviously a cumulative effect. All foods are not gluten-free, as the manufacturers claim it (undetectable).
So, for caffeine, the trace elements shouldn’t be a problem in general, unless you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with bowel injury (leaky gut).
LucH

Wilfrid

Hi Luch,

I have to chime in here.
I do have a severe IBD ( a perforating form of crohn's disease leading to multiple fistulas / abscesses and, finally, to a peritonitis ) and I got a major large bowel resection 5 years ago who left me with a J-pouch for 5 months ( now the only parts left are the sigmoid and rectum) and a weight of 56-57 kilos ( my height is 2 meters ).
It has been almost 4 years now that I'm symptom-free of my crohn's ( before that, I got the more " severe " immuno-suppresive treatment to get my crohn's under control without any success...) without any kind of treatment. And my weight is now 98 kilos.
My point is I do regulary eat pancakes, bread, pasta, lasagna ect made with ( refined ) wheat and I also drink 4-5 cups of strong coffee with 2-3 cokes ( between meals ) a day without the slightest intestinal inflammation. Not even a bloating or diarrhea...and trust me, I do know what intestinal inflammation looks like.
I don't want to start a polemic but I have to tell you that your assertion is not valid for me.

EnoreeG

Wilfrid said:
Hi Luch,

I have to chime in here.
I do have a severe IBD ( a perforating form of crohn's disease leading to multiple fistulas / abscesses and, finally, to a peritonitis ) and I got a major large bowel resection 5 years ago who left me with a J-pouch for 5 months ( now the only parts left are the sigmoid and rectum) and a weight of 56-57 kilos ( my height is 2 meters ).
It has been almost 4 years now that I'm symptom-free of my crohn's ( before that, I got the more " severe " immuno-suppresive treatment to get my crohn's under control without any success...) without any kind of treatment. And my weight is now 98 kilos.
My point is I do regulary eat pancakes, bread, pasta, lasagna ect made with ( refined ) wheat and I also drink 4-5 cups of strong coffee with 2-3 cokes ( between meals ) a day without the slightest intestinal inflammation. Not even a bloating or diarrhea...and trust me, I do know what intestinal inflammation looks like.
I don't want to start a polemic but I have to tell you that your assertion is not valid for me.

Wow. Nice recovery! Think how crummy it would have been had you gone through all that and then found out you also had gluten sensitivity! I mean even though it wasn't involved in the IBD, but just a latent, background inflammation somewhere in your system. I'm so glad you can eat as though there's no sensitivity to gluten (nor to coffee).

And it's nice to know you have no cross-reaction between gluten and coffee protein. I think LucH was not so much asserting that this connection must exist, except, as he said

Let me say again: Very few people have cross-reaction with coffee. Very few !!! But they do exist. See testimonies on the second link above.

as he was warning to someone with thyroid problems (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis remember is an auto-immune condition) that if they also had immune issues, they might want to be aware of the possibility of non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS), and additionally, the cross-connection to coffee for a few people.

What I think is important here is that NCGS is often hard to self-diagnose and is also sometimes impossible for a doctor to diagnose if the doctor only uses tests that are used to show Celiac, so the neat thing is that coffee can sometimes show a reaction and be the telling signal that there might be NCGS brewing in a body.

I really relate to what LucH said

There are still a lot of doctors who believe that intolerant to gluten and milk are illuminated / “fantaisistes”.

Doctors plus the general, unsympathetic and unaffected public are making it very hard on people who need to find the cause of their problems and become vocal about suspecting NCGS. So any help these people can get can be a great thing. This "coffee" signal could be quite a shortcut for those who suspect they have a gluten sensitivity but can get a doctor to test for it. For these people, any little thing helps.

If other readers think they are in this "possible NCGS" situation here's a very sympathetic and helpful article to read which identifies other blood work that can be done to positively diagnose NCGS.

NCGS vs Celiac

OP
LucH

LucH

Wilfrid said:
I do have a severe IBD ( a perforating form of crohn's disease leading to multiple fistulas / abscesses and, finally, to a peritonitis ) and I got a major large bowel resection 5 years ago ...
(....)

Wel, glad to here that but you aren't intolerant to gluten.
All IBS, and generally speaking colopathy, aren't due to gluten.
Even in the case of intolerance to gluten + leaky gut, all people won't react on the same way. Some yes (nearly directly or delayed reaction), some not at all. (Of course it may be for dose dependant).
I can see that on Seignalet forum. We can't explain it. We notice it. It's not an exact science.

Seignalet was an immunologist, died in 2003.
Gluten may cause diseases of 3 types: autoimmune diseases, diseases of fouling (clogging) and elimination diseases.

Seignalet présentation complète (theory) (If you can read into French)
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ml#p227563
LucH
:salute

PS for EnoreeG:
:thumbup
Well decoded.

FredSonoma

LucH said:
How do you feel when your drink coffee or thee (cafeine)? If better for a while, it's clearly adrenals.

Many people shoot themselves with caffeine, nicotine and other toxic substances to increase their energy. All this is an illusion, because in fact despite the positive effects in the short term, medium and long-term effects are devastating, health capital decreases and the person is locked in a downward spiral.

explanation:
- Caffeine scenario: Need a little coffee to hold on, to have a boost?
I am not speaking here of people who need a morning coffee to start. If this case is repeated too often (addicted to caffeine), your adrenal glands are probably "exhausted"; they do not follow ... In addition, caffeine creates a blood sugar spike, and after 2-3 hours, it is a backlash (fatigue driving down progressivly ). It becomes a vicious circle ...
LucH

This is exactly how I feel from coffee - better for a while and then a crash, and I need more. Just started drinking it past couple weeks ago and I think I'm completely addicted already, drinking 3 cups a day now. If I skip it I don't feel good - should I stop? Or am I so addicted because it's helping me?

Wilfrid

Filip1993 said:
Wilfrid said:
Hi Luch,

I have to chime in here.

Hello Wilfrid! What type of foods does aggravate your IBD? I don't really have any tummy troubles, I just find it very interesting. I have the same experience with wheat and coffee as you, no problem whatsoever.

Hi Filip,

whole grains, acidic fruits, raw vegetables ( except carrots, but raw carrots are also one of the very few vegetables that can be eaten very quickly after digestive surgery ), too much fat ( of any kind) and fermented acidic foods / beverages are problematic for me.

Wilfrid

LucH said:
Wilfrid said:
I do have a severe IBD ( a perforating form of crohn's disease leading to multiple fistulas / abscesses and, finally, to a peritonitis ) and I got a major large bowel resection 5 years ago ...
(....)

Wel, glad to here that but you aren't intolerant to gluten.
All IBS, and generally speaking colopathy, aren't due to gluten.
Even in the case of intolerance to gluten + leaky gut, all people won't react on the same way. Some yes (nearly directly or delayed reaction), some not at all. (Of course it may be for dose dependant).
I can see that on Seignalet forum. We can't explain it. We notice it. It's not an exact science.

Seignalet was an immunologist, died in 2003.
Gluten may cause diseases of 3 types: autoimmune diseases, diseases of fouling (clogging) and elimination diseases.

Seignalet présentation complète (theory)) (If yoou can read into French)
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ml#p227563
LucH

PS for EnoreeG:
:thumbup
Well decoded.

Hi Luch,

I'm french and I read 7 years ago seignalet's book. His incredible success with a lot of auto-immune diseases ( except for few,and in case of IBD, for the ulcerative colitis or " RCH " in french( recto-colite hémoragique )). Even his almost perfect success with around 99 people suffering from crohn's with only, if I remember correctly, one failure....a woman that needed surgery to heal an inflammed part of his digestive tract ( due to an abscess )...His diet is , to resume it quickly,: raw vegetables, raw cold-pressed vegetable oils, buckwheat and rice, dark chocolate ( but tricky if you are suffering from IBD, right? cf Seignalet's point about aggravating foods for IBD ( raw apples could be problematic too..), raw fruits, the use of Biocébé for B vitamins, raw proteins. But I never found his diet nor his research very helpful. A belgium doctor wrote a similar book ( Georges Mouton ): " Ecosystème intestinal et santé optimale " , do you read his book?
As for the ulcerative colitis ( " RCH ") best treatment, instead of Seignalet, the french surgeon Georges Pourtalet has probably the best life changing solution. ( cf " Le corps à ses raisons que la médecine ignore " ).
Regarding IBS, I think the work of Walter Alvarez is way, way much more interesting about the cause and cure of any type of IBS. Try to put your hand on the following book: " Nervousness, indigestion and pain ".
The most helpful guys, for me, was ( and still are ) Ray Peat and the naturopath Robert Masson. And to some extent, the advices from members on this forum.
Anyway, no beef here. Just sharing my experience and sorry if I had not well decoded your post. :D . We could try french directly next time through PM ;)

Wilfrid

EnoreeG said:
Wilfrid said:
Hi Luch,

I have to chime in here.

Wow. Nice recovery! Think how crummy it would have been had you gone through all that and then found out you also had gluten sensitivity! I mean even though it wasn't involved in the IBD, but just a latent, background inflammation somewhere in your system. I'm so glad you can eat as though there's no sensitivity to gluten (nor to coffee).

And it's nice to know you have no cross-reaction between gluten and coffee protein. I think LucH was not so much asserting that this connection must exist, except, as he said

as he was warning to someone with thyroid problems (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis remember is an auto-immune condition) that if they also had immune issues, they might want to be aware of the possibility of non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS), and additionally, the cross-connection to coffee for a few people.

What I think is important here is that NCGS is often hard to self-diagnose and is also sometimes impossible for a doctor to diagnose if the doctor only uses tests that are used to show Celiac, so the neat thing is that coffee can sometimes show a reaction and be the telling signal that there might be NCGS brewing in a body.

I really relate to what LucH said

Doctors plus the general, unsympathetic and unaffected public are making it very hard on people who need to find the cause of their problems and become vocal about suspecting NCGS. So any help these people can get can be a great thing. This "coffee" signal could be quite a shortcut for those who suspect they have a gluten sensitivity but can get a doctor to test for it. For these people, any little thing helps.

If other readers think they are in this "possible NCGS" situation here's a very sympathetic and helpful article to read which identifies other blood work that can be done to positively diagnose NCGS.

NCGS vs Celiac

Hi EnoreeG,

Thanks for the clarification.
However my response was , for the most part, directed to the following LucH' sentence ( not for his previous post on this thread):
" So, for caffeine, [highlight=yellow]the trace elements shouldn’t be a problem in general, unless you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with bowel injury (leaky gut).[/highlight] " because I honeslty thought that I do suffer from a disease that combine those 2 conditions ( just change IBS for IBD :D ). Also intestinal permeability is pretty easy to mesure through the alkaline phosphatase test. Almost anyone here can make the blood test.
Anyway, I'm totally agree with you and like I said above to LucH, I was just sharing my experience, that's it.

OP
LucH

LucH

FredSonoma said:
LucH said:
How do you feel when your drink coffee or thee (cafeine)? If better for a while, it's clearly adrenals.
(...)
LucH

This is exactly how I feel from coffee - better for a while and then a crash, and I need more. Just started drinking it past couple weeks ago and I think I'm completely addicted already, drinking 3 cups a day now. If I skip it I don't feel good - should I stop? Or am I so addicted because it's helping me?

Well, it seems you're already addicted to caffeine. To verify it: Do you suffer from these problems, 2 minimum to be sure.
In case of caffeine withdrawal:
The phenomenon results in headaches, fatigue, irritability, sleep disturbances or shaky hands. At first, these signs are placed on the account of fatigue, the need to recover. But in fact, they are due to a real craving.

Headaches - stubborn - appear a few hours after the last intake of caffeine, with a peak after one or two days.

Logically, the risk is higher in people who consume large amounts of caffeine, but it can affect consumer (very) moderate.

I advise not to stop brutally. keep one cup in the morning and one cup round 4 o'clock PM.
But I would rather take tea: degression is more progressive. betwwen 6 - 9 hours instead of 2 - 3 hours.

But, caffeine may also rise your insulin and then make it drops 2 hours later. This may also explain the crash.
To verify: Change coffee for tea.

It's not the only explanation possible. We know caffeine can boost adrenals. But is it adrenals or thyroid?
I don't know.
See a practitionner to confirm (TSH T4). Blood test is not valuable in 100 % cases (borderline). Listen to your sensations. I would proceed by elimination.
Try to relax (EFT is great, or sophrology) because stress makes cortisol high and when cortisol is high too long, it causes trouble to insulin secretion. We are then quickly "exhausted" / tired.
Excerpt:
Cortisol contributes to the reduction in insulin sensitivity. Cortisol is negatively associated with potential compensatory mechanisms for insulin resistance.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3050109/
I would also try to watch my glyceamia and HgbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) at next blood test. Not higher than 5 for HgbA1c. When 6 is reached, diabetes is announced within 5 - 10 years ...
By the way, for other readers, when cortisol is high, you can't loose weight (no lipolyse).
Hope it woudl help you a bit to see clear.
I repeat once more: Proceed by elimination. Listen to your sensations. Not only what the tests say or do not say ...
:wavingyellow
LucH

OP
LucH

LucH

Wilfrid said:
1. His diet is , to resume it quickly,: raw vegetables, raw cold-pressed vegetable oils, buckwheat and rice, dark chocolate ( but tricky if you are suffering from IBD, right? cf Seignalet's point about aggravating foods for IBD ( raw apples could be problematic too..), raw fruits, the use of Biocébé for B vitamins, raw proteins. But I never found his diet nor his research very helpful. A belgium doctor wrote a similar book ( Georges Mouton ): "

2. Ecosystème intestinal et santé optimale " , do you read his book?

3. Try to put your hand on the following book: " Nervousness, indigestion and pain ".
1. diet
Well, I won’t summarize Seignalet like that :
A diet free of gluten, casein and corn. Main guideline.
Better not cook above 110 °. Eat organic and local.
As far as oils are concerned (omega-3), we didn’t talk about EPA – DHA – GLA in nineties.
Not to take literally. Seignalet is not a nutritionist. He followed the trends (Kousmin), with results.
As far as vegetables are concerned, raw for enzymes but not at the beginning when your bowels are irritated. We’d better eat them steam-cooked and according to what you can tolerate. Adapt yourself.

As far as pseudo-cereals are concerned, they are admitted but moderately. I advise to limit them once a day, a small portion. Buckwheat and rice do contain antinutrients. Like all cereals.
Not good for endothelial cells. [highlight=yellow]Cereals cause zonulin secretion. Zonulin increases intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Tight junctions are no longer operational[/highlight] (by people suffering from poor digestion).
As far as I’m concerned, I try to avoid cereals. I eat rather paleolithic. Let’s say 80/20 because I’m not perfect ;)

Additional link if you want to know why grains are not advised.
“Why grains are bad?”
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/03/how- ... cause.html
From “How Do Grains, Legumes and Dairy Cause a Leaky Gut?” Part 1: Lectins.
+ Part 2: Saponins and Protease Inhibitors of grains and legumes
From “How Do Grains, Legumes and Dairy Cause a Leaky Gut?”
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/03/how- ... se_29.html

See also Dr. Loren Cordain (paleo diet) (internet forum).

2. Yes, I've read it. Interesting even if some people say GM is the evil (Doctor Mabuse). This problem has nothing to do with nutrition ( bicycle runners).

3. " Nervousness, indigestion and pain ".
Yes, we know that our stomach is connected to the brain. The stomach is the center of our immunity to 70%.
See "grain brain" for more details if "you" discover. David Perlmutter.
Full title: Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers.
:yellohello
LucH

EnoreeG

Wilfrid said:
Hi EnoreeG,

Thanks for the clarification.
However my response was , for the most part, directed to the following LucH' sentence ( not for his previous post on this thread):
" So, for caffeine, [highlight=yellow]the trace elements shouldn’t be a problem in general, unless you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with bowel injury (leaky gut).[/highlight] " because I honeslty thought that I do suffer from a disease that combine those 2 conditions ( just change IBS for IBD :D ). Also intestinal permeability is pretty easy to mesure through the alkaline phosphatase test. Almost anyone here can make the blood test.
Anyway, I'm totally agree with you and like I said above to LucH, I was just sharing my experience, that's it.

Thanks for pointing me at the alkaline phosphatease test. Now, when I read about it on a Laboratory site, I see connections to liver & bone problems, but not leaky gut. How would one interpret the results that would indicate intestinal permeability?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals