Eating before bedtime - what is best to stop nocturnal hypoglycemia

That’s an amazing story @Rinse & rePeat. Good to know that you are available to bounce ideas or queries off of. Hopefully your husband isn’t a large angry jealous type, I don’t need anyone tracking me down for what could be construed as flirtatious comments (again?).
But let him know he is a lucky man.
At any rate I would like to hear more on your food preferences, as well do you have a preference on a brand of masa harina that might be more in line with Dr Peats preferred production methods?
Ha! Ha! Flattery is welcome, so no worries! I use Bob's Red Mill masa. Mind you, I cook for younger others, so atole is something that I make for others, and do not partake in, as delicios as it is. I save all of my splurges for my love of high end tequila, which provides me with deep healing sleep, as estrogenic as it is. Nothing a couple of carrots can't undo. Starch is so so minimal in my daily diet. I eat a lot of shellfish, butter, eggs, oxtails, oxtail fat and cold salted oxtail broth, oranges, raw honeycomb and Really Raw honey with the propolis in tact, raw whole milk, coffee, Mexican Coke, homemade custard, very little meat and no oils except refined coconut oil to fry something or a little mct. A starch splurge for me would be yeastless sourdough with butter at night or a little boiled red or purple potato with butter, spring onion and grass fed sour cream, or jalapeno seaweed Chomperz. Sun is important to me too, and being a true blonde girl, i do not use sunscreen or burn anymore. I hope that list helps point you in a good direction. Keep the questions coming!

J.R.K

Ha! Ha! Flattery is welcome, so no worries! I use Bob's Red Mill masa. Mind you, I cook for younger others, so atole is something that I make for others, and do not partake in, as delicios as it is. I save all of my splurges for my love of high end tequila, which provides me with deep healing sleep, as estrogenic as it is. Nothing a couple of carrots can't undo. Starch is so so minimal in my daily diet. I eat a lot of shellfish, butter, eggs, oxtails, oxtail fat and cold salted oxtail broth, oranges, raw honeycomb and Really Raw honey with the propolis in tact, raw whole milk, coffee, Mexican Coke, homemade custard, very little meat and no oils except refined coconut oil to fry something or a little mct. A starch splurge for me would be yeastless sourdough with butter at night or a little boiled red or purple potato with butter, spring onion and grass fed sour cream, or jalapeno seaweed Chomperz. Sun is important to me too, and being a true blonde girl, i do not use sunscreen or burn anymore. I hope that list helps point you in a good direction. Keep the questions coming!
Sounds great! I am curious if you are able to get sun all year round? I am in Canada so you know sunbathing in -20’C weather with the wind chill factor added in at -30’C is a little tough to get the Vitamin D for 4-5 months of the year.
Ox tail is fantastic and I think it is one of the most underrated cuts. I am trying to minimize fat and focus on fructose based foods, as you mentioned, minimizing starch but I do like my well cooked mashed potatoes with butter and milk. I noticed no eggs, is that a PUFA reason?
Also do you use any organ meats liver, kidney, tongue (no bedroom reference unless you care to share??) Oops that was the line and I ran right across it didn’t I? My bad!

Sounds great! I am curious if you are able to get sun all year round? I am in Canada so you know sunbathing in -20’C weather with the wind chill factor added in at -30’C is a little tough to get the Vitamin D for 4-5 months of the year.
Ox tail is fantastic and I think it is one of the most underrated cuts. I am trying to minimize fat and focus on fructose based foods, as you mentioned, minimizing starch but I do like my well cooked mashed potatoes with butter and milk. I noticed no eggs, is that a PUFA reason?
Also do you use any organ meats liver, kidney, tongue (no bedroom reference unless you care to share??) Oops that was the line and I ran right across it didn’t I? My bad!
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I get my 3 ounces of liver a week too, Via braunschweiger from grasslandbeef.com. The liver and shrimp work so well for a face lift affect that i eat extra portions several days before going to a party or just seeing friends! On the flipside of that, I find starches deflate the effect rather quickly. I agree lowfat is the better route to fend of too much fat, but at my age fat it necessary for my skin, so I choose it wisely aka grass fed beef fat & butter. Living in California is a bonus for ample vitamin D, but I did find on vitacost.com Eden Maitake Mushrooms have 50% D in the smallest portion, egg yolks have 10% and this Pho broth has 40%, which all come in handy during winter or rainy days. I had eggs on my list, but I wont eat them at all if I can't get my hands on corn and soy free ones. As far as the fat on oxtails go, I find them being so fatty people avoid them. They are my favorite and I make so many things with them! I cook them for a couple of hours then let the water cook all the way down so that the oxtails crackle and fry in their own fat, which browns them nice and melts nearly all the fat from the meat. Then I add back in water and cook a couple more hours till they start falling off the bone. I remove the oxtails and chill the rest. I get a nice block of fat off the top and freeze it. That way I can separate the meat to go with sugars during the day and use the fat at night for other things. So much more for me to teach you Grasshopper ?

Attachments

• 20210427_174352.jpg
    20210427_174352.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210427_174219.jpg
    20210427_174219.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 13

J.R.K

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that I get my 3 ounces of liver a week too, Via braunschweiger from grasslandbeef.com. The liver and shrimp work so well for a face lift affect that i eat extra portions several days before going to a party or just seeing friends! On the flipside of that, I find starches deflate the effect rather quickly. I agree lowfat is the better route to fend of too much fat, but at my age fat it necessary for my skin, so I choose it wisely aka grass fed beef fat & butter. Living in California is a bonus for ample vitamin D, but I did find on vitacost.com Eden Maitake Mushrooms have 50% D in the smallest portion, egg yolks have 10% and this Pho broth has 40%, which all come in handy during winter or rainy days. I had eggs on my list, but I wont eat them at all if I can't get my hands on corn and soy free ones. As far as the fat on oxtails go, I find them being so fatty people avoid them. They are my favorite and I make so many things with them! I cook them for a couple of hours then let the water cook all the way down so that the oxtails crackle and fry in their own fat, which browns them nice and melts nearly all the fat from the meat. Then I add back in water and cook a couple more hours till they start falling off the bone. I remove the oxtails and chill the rest. I get a nice block of fat off the top and freeze it. That way I can separate the meat to go with sugars during the day and use the fat at night for other things. So much more for me to teach you Grasshopper ?
Fantastic! Curious on your sources for broth and mushrooms, do they offer other types of mushrooms?

Fantastic! Curious on your sources for broth and mushrooms, do they offer other types of mushrooms?
That Eden brand has dried shiitakes with 25% D. For broth I just make my own. I don't like the taste of store bought or the high oxalates in them from the vegetables. I make mine with just bones and water. The chicken takes a little over 3 hours on the stove and oxtail broth around 5 hours, lid off on high heat. Here is how gelatinous i can get them! I eat the oxtail one cold with just salt so good!

Attachments

• 20210217_162414.jpg
    20210217_162414.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210209_164959.jpg
    20210209_164959.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 13

J.R.K

That Eden brand has dried shiitakes with 25% D. For broth I just make my own. I don't like the taste of store bought or the high oxalates in them from the vegetables. I make mine with just bones and water. The chicken takes a little over 3 hours on the stove and oxtail broth around 5 hours, lid off on high heat. Here is how gelatinous i can get them! I eat the oxtail one cold with just salt so good!
Looks fantastic! Would love to know how you make this!

mostlylurking

dont aspirin and niacinamide also lower blood sugar? also if you use too many pro sugar burning/blood sugar lowering substances couldnt that raise cortisol and result in tearing down muscle/skin for more blood sugar
Niacinamide lowers free fatty acids by keeping them parked in the fat cells so they don't become "free". If the free fatty acids in the blood are low then the cells can burn sugar which will lower blood sugar because it is no longer blocked from being burned. Glucose and niacinamide work very closely with each other, and with the thyroid hormone, in the maintenance and repair of cells and tissues. So yes, you are right, niacinamide promotes the burning of sugar by lowering free fatty acids. However, niacinamide is such a plus for me that I don't see this as a problem. I am finally recovering from a very bad period with blocked thiamine function, high lactic acid, high nitric oxide, and high cortisol with breakdown of muscle at night which really hurt.

here's a Peat quote from here: Rosacea, inflammation, and aging: The inefficiency of stress
"Niacinamide, one of the B vitamins, provides energy to this mitochondrial system. Under stress and strong excitation, cells waste niacinamide-NADH, but niacinamide itself has a sedative antiexcitatory effect, and some of its actions resemble a hormone. Estrogen tends to interfere with the formation of niacin from tryptophan. Tryptophan, rather than forming the sedative niacin (pyridine carboxylic acid), can be directed toward formation of the excitatory quinolinic acid (pyridine dicarboxylic acid) by polyunsaturated fatty acids. Excitation must be in balance with a cell's energetic resources, and niacinamide can play multiple protective roles, decreasing excitation, increasing energy production, and stabilizing repair systems. The state of excitation and type of energy metabolism are crucial factors in governing cell functions and survival."

Aspirin is doing a lot of things, including lowering estrogen, inflammation, and cortisol.

here's a Peat quote from here: Ray Peat, PhD on Aspirin – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
"Aspirin protects cells in many ways, interrupting excitotoxic processes by blocking nitric oxide and prostaglandins, and consequently it inhibits cell proliferation, and in some cases inhibits glycolysis, but the fact that it can inhibit FAS (Beynen, et al., 1982) is very important in understanding its role in cancer."

I continue to take a gram of aspirin and about 100mg of niacinamide before bed and am sleeping through the night without waking up in pain. It works for me.

bookshelf

How have you applied that advice, just a spoonful of coconut oil at bedtime and nothing else?
I have a hard time eating/swallowing a blob of plain coconut oil - whether it's one big blob or a few smaller blobs. It just is bleh. I've even tried to swallow the bolus by washing it down with something like raw milk so I don't really 'feel' it. It's better that way but still ick. Would love to hear how others get down that "just a spoonful".

I have a hard time eating/swallowing a blob of plain coconut oil - whether it's one big blob or a few smaller blobs. It just is bleh. I've even tried to swallow the bolus by washing it down with something like raw milk so I don't really 'feel' it. It's better that way but still ick. Would love to hear how others get down that "just a spoonful".
I only use refined coconut oil to fry things in, or use coconut mct oil on dry things like hard boiled eggs and dry fish or meat. I am sure cumulatively it all adds up to at least a spoonful. Don't force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy, except for liver :D

Dave Clark

Kill two birds with one stone and eat some coconut ice cream.

Dave Clark

Blech! Haagen Daz coffee ice cream with a blob if coconut oil is my rebuttal :D
I hear that. My recommendation was for Bookshelf, who asked how to get down coconut oil, which would be in the coconut ice cream. Not my choice either, but may be a better way for someone to get over the texture issue of straight coconut oil.

I hear that. My recommendation was for Bookshelf, who asked how to get down coconut oil, which would be in the coconut ice cream. Not my choice either, but may be a better way for someone to get over the texture issue of straight coconut oil.
I was kidding Dave! My dad loves a spoonful of the unrefined coconut oil blended into a really cold smoothie. He says it blends into little tiny little pieces that taste like coconut candies.

Birdie

Sugar before bed creates a low blood sugar situation later on during sleep

does sleep slow digestion?

is ice cream the ideal food before bedtime?
I was using ice cream before bedtime for a while and Ray has suggested it. He's also suggested salty tortilla chips. I'm finding the salty tortilla chips work better for me right now.

Birdie

I should add that eating the salty tortilla chips with a little chicken salad about two hours before bedtime worked for me last night. I am so tired of eating just before bedtime, then brushing my teeth again or swishing with water and feeling it's not good enough, that I decided to stop eating right at bedtime. And, luckily, this worked better than my previous eating right at bedtime. Able to sleep until 5:30 am instead of my waking at 3:30 these past months.

Thank you for this thread cuz it helped.

Birdie

Eat enough sugar with the eggs, no other way around it. I avoid eating protein before bed for this reason. Simple bowl of fruit or starch 1-2 hours before bed is enough to guarantee a full night's sleep.
Seems to be true. And making sure I get enough salt during the day insures no "pee time" wake-ups. This works for my husband too.

J.R.K

Seems to be true. And making sure I get enough salt during the day insures no "pee time" wake-ups. This works for my husband too.
Interesting on the salt and the mid sleep pee breaks. I know salt helps to sleep. But how does it work to prevent frequent urination?

bookshelf

Kill two birds with one stone and eat some coconut ice cream.
That's a tasty idea! Might have to get myself some!

AndrewGesell

Sugar before bed creates a low blood sugar situation later on during sleep

does sleep slow digestion?

is ice cream the ideal food before bedtime?
After years of searching I finally found the best sleep remedy. Three scoops of vanilla ice cream, 3 to 5 cherries, Himalayan salt, K2 and idea labs magnesium.

This combo gives me 4 to 5 hours on interrupted sleep. After that the hypoglycemia kicks in and usually I’ll have some tea with honey

bookshelf

I was using ice cream before bedtime for a while and Ray has suggested it. He's also suggested salty tortilla chips. I'm finding the salty tortilla chips work better for me right now.
I like the idea of tortilla chips and am all for it but 1) I thought corn was supposed to be bad (flour tortillas aren't an option due to gluten) 2) I thought the sunflower/canola/vegetable oils that they're made with (which is the only kind of tortilla chips I can find) are supposed to be bad. Am I missing something? I would certainly like to include them more often.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals