Anyone experimenting with high carb, low protein, as Peat was doing during 2022?

Apple

Wasn’t Steve Jobs a fruitarian and he died of pancreatic cancer?
He was drinking carrot juice...very potent antimicrobial/antifungal stuff , but it can easily kill you
And all those almonds ... they use pesticides heavily on them.

Jennifer

Yeah I agree. You gotta have some mixture just to avoid blandness. I don't think people realize how bland and tasteless a pure carbohydrate diet can be. In fact, I personally find fatty foods to be much more pleasurable and addictive than carb loaded foods. It's why back in my low-carb days I always found it to be effortless. Bacon, eggs, steak, butter, I was like a kid in a candy store, lol. Throw in some whisky and I have no reason to leave the fort for 3 months :tearsofjoy:.

Thanks for the link, I do live in the States. I was also considering an online distributor so you just removed a lot of the searching I was going to have to do! I'm not sure how much that will be after shipping costs but it looks cheaper per lb than the product my local Costco sells.

Haha! So true. I could easily do 3 months with pounds of cheese, butter and eggs.

You’re welcome. :) Some of these require signing up for a membership but in case they end up being cheaper for you, here are some other pastured meat companies I had saved in my notes:

@Rinse & rePeat or @Lollipop2, may know of other companies that sell oxtail.

Jennifer

Wasn’t Steve Jobs a fruitarian and he died of pancreatic cancer?

I believe so and if I’m not mistaken, the name Apple was inspired by it.

Lollipop2

Haha! So true. I could easily do 3 months with pounds of cheese, butter and eggs.

You’re welcome. :) Some of these require signing up for a membership but in case they end up being cheaper for you, here are some other pastured meat companies I had saved in my notes:

Thanks for tagging me!! In addition to the ones you have:

Organic Grass Fed Beef, Pasture Raised Pork and Poultry (Chicken)

100% Grass-Fed Beef | Buy Healthy Meats Online | US Wellness Meats

Jessie

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

I was getting my oxtails from Beef Oxtails - 1 lb | US Wellness Meats

shanny

Forum Supporter
I also agree hypothyroidism is probably to blame for my need for starch and meat, but it’s a night and day difference for me personally.
Do you feel that you are hypothyroid? I have actually found the opposite. When I eat more starch-based, my temps are great and energy is sustained. I did not get this with fruit and sugar, and actually feel pretty terrible eating them in general.

Jennifer

Thanks for tagging me!! In addition to the ones you have:

Organic Grass Fed Beef, Pasture Raised Pork and Poultry (Chicken)

100% Grass-Fed Beef | Buy Healthy Meats Online | US Wellness Meats

Wonderful! Thank you, Lisa. :)

mamakitty

Huh, no other starches give you hypoglycemic symptoms, just potatoes? Do you find that your blood sugar overall is more wonky during the first half of the day? When I was following RBTI, I had to track my urine Brix (relates to blood sugar) with a refractometer and I discovered that my sugars were crashing multiple times during the first half of the day and when I tracked my mum's Brix, her sugars were crashing around the same time as mine. My blood glucose levels were also coming back dangerously low during that time—averaging 50.
Previously it was no other carbs but potatoes giving me hypoglycaemic symptoms, albeit sometimes not always. However, very recently I saw oj did that to me too. Other triggers for hypoglycaemic symptoms are lack of sleep, lack of food, and protein eaten without carbs. I buy everything organic and the best sourced available.
My blood glucose number on the glucometer is almost never wonky, despite the hypoglycaemic symptoms. Sometimes when I get the symptoms, I test to see what my blood glucose is. It’s almost never low, in fact, a few times it’s high like 110 or so but most of the time it’s like 90-95. Yesterday though, it was 117 one hour after having a medium sourdough turkey sandwich and a small glass of oj.
I never get hypo symptoms when I wake up and my waking up glucose is actually high (90-95, occasionally up to 99).

Sorry, I’m not super well versed with tests, could you please tell me what’s rbti and brix?

mamakitty

Do you feel that you are hypothyroid? I have actually found the opposite. When I eat more starch-based, my temps are great and energy is sustained. I did not get this with fruit and sugar, and actually feel pretty terrible eating them in general.
Yes, I think I’m hypothyroid based on signs. I have dryish skin, I have gained a lot of weight the past decade lol, I am extremely constipation prone since my late teens, and I am migraine prone since I turned 21/22. I also have hairloss and dry toenails, and I get body aches every few days, plus I’m always sleepy.
I agree with what you are saying re starch, and that’s what I meant. As in the starch makes me feel not just full but energetic. So I think because I’m hypothyroid I need starch vs someone who is in optimal metabolic health and can thrive on mostly fruits.
I have to mention that I must eat starch alongside protein and fats (and some salt). If I eat any macro alone, I feel sickly and not energetic. Is this the same for you, or you feel fine with just starch?

shanny

Forum Supporter
Yes, I think I’m hypothyroid based on signs. I have dryish skin, I have gained a lot of weight the past decade lol, I am extremely constipation prone since my late teens, and I am migraine prone since I turned 21/22. I also have hairloss and dry toenails, and I get body aches every few days, plus I’m always sleepy.
I agree with what you are saying re starch, and that’s what I meant. As in the starch makes me feel not just full but energetic. So I think because I’m hypothyroid I need starch vs someone who is in optimal metabolic health and can thrive on mostly fruits.
I have to mention that I must eat starch alongside protein and fats (and some salt). If I eat any macro alone, I feel sickly and not energetic. Is this the same for you, or you feel fine with just starch?
I think you are onto something. I had the same situation, I tolerated starch much better through my healing journey. I wonder if for some of us, being hypothyroid we need the ease of glucose digested from starch, and also not being able to handle the excess of fluid within fruits. Fruit/juice made me cold and hungrier, except for things like dates or figs.

Is this the same for you, or you feel fine with just starch?
I have been in a much better place regarding hypo symptoms for a few years, but when I was still low thyroid I had to do mixed meals, yes. Now I find that staying lower fat and lower protein actually helps bowel transit immensely and keeps me feeling energetic. I can eat things that are straight starch (I always add a little bit of butter or goat cheese) and feel warm and satisfied. When I started my healing journey, I was much like you. I wanted cheeseburgers, spaghetti and meatballs, shepard's pie, etc. Hearty, balanced meals. I clearly needed to be more "grounded" at the time, but have evolved to a place where I feel like I don't need that as much. I do crave things like that every once in a while and I'll eat it, but it's not that often anymore.

I also should add, I am a pretty active person. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do walk my dog for probably 2 hours total per day (morning and night) and I rock climb 3 or 4 times per week. When I was healing, I took a few years off from any kind of intense activity, so it may just be that my needs are different now that I'm sleeping better and more active.

mamakitty

I think you are onto something. I had the same situation, I tolerated starch much better through my healing journey. I wonder if for some of us, being hypothyroid we need the ease of glucose digested from starch, and also not being able to handle the excess of fluid within fruits. Fruit/juice made me cold and hungrier, except for things like dates or figs.

I have been in a much better place regarding hypo symptoms for a few years, but when I was still low thyroid I had to do mixed meals, yes. Now I find that staying lower fat and lower protein actually helps bowel transit immensely and keeps me feeling energetic. I can eat things that are straight starch (I always add a little bit of butter or goat cheese) and feel warm and satisfied. When I started my healing journey, I was much like you. I wanted cheeseburgers, spaghetti and meatballs, shepard's pie, etc. Hearty, balanced meals. I clearly needed to be more "grounded" at the time, but have evolved to a place where I feel like I don't need that as much. I do crave things like that every once in a while and I'll eat it, but it's not that often anymore.

I also should add, I am a pretty active person. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I do walk my dog for probably 2 hours total per day (morning and night) and I rock climb 3 or 4 times per week. When I was healing, I took a few years off from any kind of intense activity, so it may just be that my needs are different now that I'm sleeping better and more active.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m so happy for you being in a good place now. I think I’m still at the very beginning of my healing and I’m hopeful I will get to the point you are. All the meals you mentioned are my favourite lol, I have to have meat or eggs every day or I feel sick. I think you are right about activity level making a difference. I was sedentary for a long time with my stupid desk job and whatnot. Recently, I have started walking at least one hour every day and lifting light weights four times a week. But my sleep is still not good, I’m planning to increase the walking to two hours and hoping it will improve my sleep. I truly believe sleep is one of the, if not the, most important factor impacting health, even more than diet.

shanny

Forum Supporter
Thanks for sharing your experience, I’m so happy for you being in a good place now. I think I’m still at the very beginning of my healing and I’m hopeful I will get to the point you are. All the meals you mentioned are my favourite lol, I have to have meat or eggs every day or I feel sick. I think you are right about activity level making a difference. I was sedentary for a long time with my stupid desk job and whatnot. Recently, I have started walking at least one hour every day and lifting light weights four times a week. But my sleep is still not good, I’m planning to increase the walking to two hours and hoping it will improve my sleep. I truly believe sleep is one of the, if not the, most important factor impacting health, even more than diet.
So true, there's nothing better than a good night of sleep or an afternoon cat nap!

I'm not a huge fan of tons of supplements, but I do have to say the one thing that was paramount to me sleeping was magnesium. I prefer the topical one now, but when I was going through the healing phase I did use magnesium bicarbonate. It comes in a powder form and you mix it with carbonated water to activate it. When I was hypo my digestion was total crap, so I think having the liquid supplement helped me be able to actually absorb it. I would sip tiny amounts throughout the day so I was never getting too much at once. Not sure if this is in your arsenal, but just throwing it out there!

unanimous

I went through a brief phase of low protein. No more than 75 grams a day. A while back I got really obsessed with limiting gluconeogenesis as much as possible, and one way to do that is to limit protein consumption. That way none of it is wasted into sugar conversion.

This will also limit CRH, ACTH, cortisol, lipolysis, and ammonia to a great degree. So I think there's definitely applications to this approach, like for people with kidney disease or hypertension. But for the average person not so much.

I always felt light on the approach, like I was never full (I was also limiting fat intake to 10% of calories, sometimes less). So the difficulty of maintaining the diet is really the challenging part. Other than that I felt okay.

My main diet isn't really THAT high in protein anyways, about twice as much. 150 grams of protein is still moderate at best, kinda low still in most circles. Yet I can maintain that with no problems of feeling hungry. I guess just go as low as you can while still being comfortable.

Because if you push yourself to the point where you feel like eating all the time, I doubt you'd be able to sustain it.
low protein/high carb can for sure improve health of kidneys, +1

mamakitty

So true, there's nothing better than a good night of sleep or an afternoon cat nap!

I'm not a huge fan of tons of supplements, but I do have to say the one thing that was paramount to me sleeping was magnesium. I prefer the topical one now, but when I was going through the healing phase I did use magnesium bicarbonate. It comes in a powder form and you mix it with carbonated water to activate it. When I was hypo my digestion was total crap, so I think having the liquid supplement helped me be able to actually absorb it. I would sip tiny amounts throughout the day so I was never getting too much at once. Not sure if this is in your arsenal, but just throwing it out there!
Oh thanks for this advice, I appreciate it as I am not doing this currently. I take magnesium bisglycinate in pill form. I think I’ll switch to liquid bicarb one next week and hopefully it will help 🙏🏻

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals