Moving to Mexico Support Group

GMT100

Playa Del Carmen is pretty safe. Local authorities stop the foreigners at night to check for drugs but as long as you're clean they wont do anything to you.

OP
A

Anonymous306

Hey Durga, how is the fruit quality down where you're at in Mexico?

I'd love to live nearby some ripe guavas, cherimoyas, pineapples, and oranges.
Fruits are amazing! Nothing hits the spot like a sweet, ripe cherimoya. You just want to get them from the small local tiendas or the tiangus at the main town square/market in your area, and not the chainstores/walmarts.

OP
A

Anonymous306

Are there any particularly safe cities that would be good to start out?
San Miguel de Allende if you don't know any Spanish or your Spanish is beginner level. It's high altitude, dry, has nice even temperate weather throughout the year, the best architecture in all of Mexico, one of the largest expat populations, and is pretty safe as long as you stay away from the bad parts of town (which any town has) & take appropriate precautions (as you would anywhere).

A few years ago they started a marketing campaign to promote the Yucatan & Quintana Roo as the safest states, however in my experience this emphasis on safety has meant more unquestioning conformity to covid regulations than other areas. Additionally, the heat & humidity wasn't the best for my metabolism.

Last edited:

Waynish

I was in CDMX for about year and wasn't a fan. I suppose I preferred it over Playa - where I also lived. If you're fine living in the countryside, then so be it - but there are so many nicer places in the world in my experience.

OP
A

Anonymous306

I;ve been in Yucatan area for about a year now. Havent checked out the mountains yet, how is the rent in your area?
It really varies depending on the specific area. You could get either a 1 bed or a whole 3 bed house for $600 depending on where you are in the highlands.

Also nice! I was in the Yucatan for a bit. Found this quote about the Yucatan while reading some Peat:

"G. W. Crile and his wife found that the metabolic rate of people in Yucatan, where coconut is a staple food, averaged 25% higher than that of people in the United States. In a hot climate, the adaptive tendency is to have a lower metabolic rate, so it is clear that some factor is more than offsetting this expected effect of high environmental temperatures. The people there are lean, and recently it has been observed that the women there have none of the symptoms we commonly associate with the menopause." From Ray's article on Coconut Oil

schultz

I've been considering Mexico but don't know much about moving there. I have a wife and 3 children, and 2 of them are girls so I am always thinking of safety regardless of where I am or am planning to be. If I were to move I would want to buy land in the countryside and build a house. I've heard that if you don't know Spanish, or know people in construction, then it can be considerably more expensive to build as they will take advantage of an ignorant foreigner with money. If I were to build though, I would get the foundation poured (which I guess would simply be a pad) and build the rest myself (assuming the laws allow that). It would be fun to plant lots of fruit trees.

Anyway, if I do decide to move to Mexico, I will definitely be asking people on the forum for advice! Once down there and setup I'd be willing to help other people with building projects in some capacity if they were relatively close. I can do anything involved in building a house or renovations, but would be best at cabinetry and millwork. I can do the very highest quality cabinetry, furniture, millwork.

I tried to get my family (brothers, sister and parents) to move with my family to a big plot of land (200 acres+ with forest and some sort of water feature) where we could all build houses and share in certain things like growing food, livestock and collecting wood for winter heating and all that. The houses wouldn't have to be visible to each other, but within walking distance. I was willing to help them with their houses, even if that meant just building some custom cabinetry, or running some custom baseboard/casing/wainscoting, or even kitchen tables and stuff like that, but I couldn't convince any of them. If we all helped each other build it would be very affordable to have what would be dream homes with a nice sense of community (cousins would grow up together within walking distance), surrounded by nature, etc. But I guess that's my dream, not theirs. Something like this could be done in Mexico with forum members, but obviously less intimate as I don't really know any of you (no offense). So maybe a bit more spread out? Fruit could be shared and people could help each other with certain tasks. I'm merely musing, but in all honesty it would probably work out quite well and life would be pretty good. Better than this COVID ***t.

Peatful

OccamzRazer

But I guess that's my dream, not theirs.
This sounds like a wonderful dream, and I'm sorry your family didn't see it as such!

Currently trying to get my family to agree to something similar. I've told them I would handle all the farm work myself, if my parents would finance the operation.

Time feels short, and I only wish they shared the same sense of urgency in regards to growing food.

Inaut

This sounds like a wonderful dream, and I'm sorry your family didn't see it as such!

Currently trying to get my family to agree to something similar. I've told them I would handle all the farm work myself, if my parents would finance the operation.

Time feels short, and I only wish they shared the same sense of urgency in regards to growing food.
Me three. Not there yet but I know one of my brothers' is seeing the danger signs in Canada. If they don't stop travel in January, I may be heading to Mexico

OP
A

Anonymous306

I've been considering Mexico but don't know much about moving there. I have a wife and 3 children, and 2 of them are girls so I am always thinking of safety regardless of where I am or am planning to be. If I were to move I would want to buy land in the countryside and build a house. I've heard that if you don't know Spanish, or know people in construction, then it can be considerably more expensive to build as they will take advantage of an ignorant foreigner with money. If I were to build though, I would get the foundation poured (which I guess would simply be a pad) and build the rest myself (assuming the laws allow that). It would be fun to plant lots of fruit trees.

Anyway, if I do decide to move to Mexico, I will definitely be asking people on the forum for advice! Once down there and setup I'd be willing to help other people with building projects in some capacity if they were relatively close. I can do anything involved in building a house or renovations, but would be best at cabinetry and millwork. I can do the very highest quality cabinetry, furniture, millwork.

I tried to get my family (brothers, sister and parents) to move with my family to a big plot of land (200 acres+ with forest and some sort of water feature) where we could all build houses and share in certain things like growing food, livestock and collecting wood for winter heating and all that. The houses wouldn't have to be visible to each other, but within walking distance. I was willing to help them with their houses, even if that meant just building some custom cabinetry, or running some custom baseboard/casing/wainscoting, or even kitchen tables and stuff like that, but I couldn't convince any of them. If we all helped each other build it would be very affordable to have what would be dream homes with a nice sense of community (cousins would grow up together within walking distance), surrounded by nature, etc. But I guess that's my dream, not theirs. Something like this could be done in Mexico with forum members, but obviously less intimate as I don't really know any of you (no offense). So maybe a bit more spread out? Fruit could be shared and people could help each other with certain tasks. I'm merely musing, but in all honesty it would probably work out quite well and life would be pretty good. Better than this COVID ***t.
It depends on the area -- if it's somewhere like Chiapas, yes it's more likely. But if it's somewhere like San Miguel or the Yucatan for example, there are excellent bilingual contractors who are reliable, some of whom have worked across both the US & Mexico. Of course, these contractors will have higher rates than regular contractors.

Yes, it would be great to get a bunch of us down to the same town & be townies. And yep, I also failed to convince the larger family.

For anyone who's interested it might be best to discuss land prospects or plans on this more gated chat: Ray Peat Fans - Mexico Chat Group

Herbie

I’ve been researching Mexico as a haven due to being in a precarious situation with limited visa and not in living in my own country.

I found this guy, he left the states because he hates what’s happened, hates the police state and shows videos of antagonising police. He moved to Mexico a few years ago with wife and children and made heaps of videos about all the things people need to know. Extra interesting because he hates covid, hates authority, straight shooter and still alive.

View: https://youtu.be/BvdmlixmwW0

L

Lord Cola

I’ve been researching Mexico as a haven due to being in a precarious situation with limited visa and not in living in my own country.

I found this guy, he left the states because he hates what’s happened, hates the police state and shows videos of antagonising police. He moved to Mexico a few years ago with wife and children and made heaps of videos about all the things people need to know. Extra interesting because he hates covid, hates authority, straight shooter and still alive.

View: https://youtu.be/BvdmlixmwW0

Nice find, Herbie. The videos where he walks around the city are great.

shanny

Forum Supporter
I have also been seriously considering Mexico. I've been kind of waiting it out, as we do still have some states that seem to be objecting to mandates etc. I am currently in New England, which I call the "medical belt" of regulations and stupidity. When you're this close to places like Dartmouth and Harvard, the belief in the medical field is strong. I've got my eye on Montana or Idaho for a bit, but if things continue to swing the way they seem to be going, I'm game for moving. I think it would be pretty cool to get a group of like-minded people in one area. Being one of the "woke" here in the states has become pretty exhausting! If anyone is serious, definitely hit me up with a DM. I don't know if anyone has been following Danny Roddy, but where he currently is looks absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure if he's on this forum, but I bet he'd respond on IG if we wanted to pick his brain about safe places to land.

Waynish

Where else would you want to live based on everything that’s going on and where we are heading towards?
The main issue - which is provable - is urban vs rural. So what rural environment that you know is the most suited to you? If you're adventurous you can try a new one of course... But I've met a lot of people and very few have what it takes to do that well. Some people are well ordered by winter climates. I've done both and I prefer the Mediterranean climate - even though I live in a winter one now without issues. If you have a family, then move to where other families are homeschooling, etc.

Waynish

I wanna see him do videos of him antagonizing Mexican police. He's probably just a larping ***** though.
Mexican police are scum. I recall them just waiting around watching us from a distance for months after one of us slipped up and took a wizz behind a bush in the park. We were there teaching exercise classes 5 days a week which everyone seemed to enjoy. Of course they charged like 1500 pesos for my friend's infraction - but the annoying part was them waiting visibly in the distance for a month after to collect again. I prefer the drug lord honor culture over weasily commies - at least you know where you stand.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals