Moving to Mexico Support Group

E

eat my peat

But I've met a lot of people and very few have what it takes to do that well.
Are you factoring in what’s currently going on in the world though?

Ideally there are many other countries I’d be open to. But would they be open to me?

With the way things are heading, Mexico really does seem like a good place to be.

Sure, I could be wrong. And I am more than open to any other suggestions of good countries to consider… ?

Waynish

Are you factoring in what’s currently going on in the world though?

Ideally there are many other countries I’d be open to. But would they be open to me?

With the way things are heading, Mexico really does seem like a good place to be.

Sure, I could be wrong. And I am more than open to any other suggestions of good countries to consider… ?
I am very much :) I'm also factoring in how many times people move to a place, ruin it, and then move again thinking it isn't their responsibility... The entitlement has a lot to do with the problems these days. This depends on your aptitude for fitting in - not on "how open are they to me?" How about where can you be of most service - and therefore you'll help the most people and have the best safety net. I recommend fully comprehending the urban vs rural issue because it seems few do. Comprehending it will definitely end you up with some kind of homestead (or homestead-light) if you have a family. USA is still one of the freest places in the world, but "I can't own a gun and have people stop breaking into my San Francisco garage" is utter nonsense. Those cities were lost a decade ago and the majority were too self absorbed to notice, or too desperate for acceptance to stand up for the truth.

GMT100

It really varies depending on the specific area. You could get either a 1 bed or a whole 3 bed house for $600 depending on where you are in the highlands.

Also nice! I was in the Yucatan for a bit. Found this quote about the Yucatan while reading some Peat:

"G. W. Crile and his wife found that the metabolic rate of people in Yucatan, where coconut is a staple food, averaged 25% higher than that of people in the United States. In a hot climate, the adaptive tendency is to have a lower metabolic rate, so it is clear that some factor is more than offsetting this expected effect of high environmental temperatures. The people there are lean, and recently it has been observed that the women there have none of the symptoms we commonly associate with the menopause." From Ray's article on Coconut Oil
Nice! yea the people here are special, rarely do you see a bald man and they are so hard working its amazing the endurance tank that they have.I want to head towards the mountains though to have a season of higher CO2. The price seems normal, i was able to find cheaper by living a15 mins away from the busy tourist and Expat area. Luckily i speak spanish so It deffinitely comes in handy.

B

BRBsavinWorld

9CE7E44F-0A13-4A22-8687-11D6A4F86613.jpeg

I kid I kid

Blue Water

Are there any States in Mexico that have the vaccine passport? I heard Oaxaca did. What about Yucatan/Quintana Roo?

Izzybelle

Are there any States in Mexico that have the vaccine passport? I heard Oaxaca did. What about Yucatan/Quintana Roo?
No. Despite the rumor mills that come around now and again, Mexico's President AMLO has stated that Mexico has no plans for vaccine mandates. This article is from August 2021 but I think that he restated it again more recently, just can't find a link right now.

"The president of Mexico announced on Monday that his country has no plans of asking residents and arriving tourists for proof of COVID-19 vaccination
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador announced during a press conference hosted by the Mazatlan Tourism Promotion Office that despite the recent surge in confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide, vaccine mandates are not part of the government’s long-term health and safety plans."

Birdie

I made a Telegram chat group for more gated conversations for anyone interested: Ray Peat Fans - Mexico Chat Group
I know this thread is searchable to non-members so it might not be comfortable for everyone to speak up and ask questions.
I get a message that safari can't open it... Any idea how to overcome that? I'm studying the Yucatan area. My brother built a place in Argentina... long time ago. That's too far for us to travel.

Vileplume

As my lease approaches its end in California, I'm thinking about either moving to San Antonio TX, or to Mexico. I might first spend six months in Mexico on a "Visitor's Visa," because anybody with a US passport can stay in Mexico for up to 180 days. For US folks, that could provide enough time for a solid test trial.

Additionally, I had this email exchange with Peat that fits this thread and encouraged me to consider Mexico further:

Me:
Hey Dr. Peat. I currently live in California, but I’m planning to move this summer to somewhere more affordable, within the US. I’m considering places that are sunny, near the equator, but without excessive humidity. I also want to live somewhere that provides large amounts of tropical fruit.

What do you think is the best pro-metabolic, pro-fruit living environment in the US?

Ray:
High, sunny places like Santa Fe, NM, are as expensive as California, and can be very cold; Santa Barbara grows some tropical fruit, otheriwise, cities with big universities usually have some for their international students. The “hill country” of NW Texas has a compromise altitude and weather and nice scenery, but not much else. The lowest latitude places in the US, i.e., Florida, are unlivably hot and humid for many people. For fruit, goat milk, altitude, weather, and costs, there are thousands of good places in Mexico.

Me:
Thanks, Dr. Peat. The idea of moving to Mexico is extremely intriguing--a nice climate, fruit, and goat milk are all I need to enjoy a happy life. Can you suggest a few cities that I can check out, to start my search?

Ray:
I think it’s good to spend a week or two at a moderate altitude, 4000 to 5000 feet, to adapt, before doing much at higher altitude. Towns around Guadalajara without heavy industry are probably less polluted; Zapotlanejo, Jalisco, Zamora, Michoacan, and Tequila, Jalisco might be good places to start. The Patzcuaro area is very nice, towns around the big lake; Valle de Bravo, State of Mexico, is expensive but nice, usually has good fruit.

tfcjesse

lots of high altitude, beautiful spots in Colorado... wonder why these aren't mentioned much. Not much fruit maybe?

Logan-

Birdie

"Right now I’m in Mexico City. And I wanted to tell you what an amazing place this is.

First off, Mexico City is nothing like most people think from watching movies; people think it’s some hellish, impoverished nightmare… and don’t realize how vibrant and cosmopolitan it is here.

I first came to Mexico City for a friend’s wedding last year, and it definitely intrigued me.

And I came back a few months ago trying to apply for a tourist visa to South Africa. I wrote about this ridiculous story– South Africa refused to process my visa application. Something about COVID. Great.

So I was “stuck” in Mexico City. But I took advantage of that bad situation and decided to explore the city more. And I absolutely fell in love with it.... "

Vileplume

Anybody know any good websites or resources to check out leases or apartments for rent in Mexico?

Vileplume

lots of high altitude, beautiful spots in Colorado... wonder why these aren't mentioned much. Not much fruit maybe?
Yes, I think that’s why. The higher latitude combined with high altitude makes winters very cold and snowy.

I think lower latitude higher altitude is an ideal combo for living comfort, metabolism, and ripe tropical fruit

Caro

Starting this thread as a way to connect with Ray Peat people who are either in Mexico or thinking about moving here. If you're here, I'd love to connect. If you're not & thinking about moving here, I'm happy to answer any questions or provide any information I can. Feel free to ask here or DM.
Hi Durga - I am interested in coming to Mexico ... tried to access the telegram account you set up, but can't get in, perhaps because I have a Mac (someone else mention this problem earlier in the thread). Have also tried to send you a DM, but that seems to be blocked as well. Sounds like you are in one of the colonial cities -- would that region have a high concentration of people in our situation, as opposed to, say, San Cristobal? Community would be important. My Spanish is okay (a bit rusty) and I'm familiar with Mexico, although I haven't been there recently. It would be great to have a private chat with you and provide a few more details. Many thanks!

Update: I've now been able to access the telegram group using a different device. See you there!

Last edited:

tfcjesse

Yes, I think that’s why. The higher latitude combined with high altitude makes winters very cold and snowy.

I think lower latitude higher altitude is an ideal combo for living comfort, metabolism, and ripe tropical fruit
which are the highest altitude cities that qualify for this? that you know of

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals