Potatoes are in the same family as ashwaganda

Starchless

I've seen many people on this forum say that potatoes kill their libido, some others have said that potatoes give them suicidal thoughts and all sorts of weird things like this.
But think about this:

Ginger is a root (serotonergic)
Ashwaganda is a root (serotonergic)

You know what else is a root? Potatoes.

Most, if not all root vegetables have androgenic/serotonergic compounds that tend to mess with hormones and the brain, I never understood why this forum promotes "root vegetables" as the secondary carb source after fruit and milk, like it's way superior to grains. It's not, and root vegetables are probably even worse for you because of their tendency to contain serotonergic compounds,

Falcarinol is a serotonergic compound found inside parsnip, which is another root vegetable. Who would've known?

But there's more, potatoes contain solanine, and I found this mini article going through the symptoms of solanine poisioning/sensitivity Solanine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

It lists drowsiness and apathy as a symptom of solanine poisoning, solanine is also a steroid, and from my understanding the effect it has on humans is very serotonergic.
There was another hidden article link that talked about "Loss of libido" also being a symptom of solanine toxicity, which will of course occur in people who are sensitive to it.

There was also another story of a boy who became really aggressive and violent after consuming potatoes Potatoes can make you miserable and destroy your quality of life

They said "He was transformed into a hyperactive little horror" after being given a bag of chips, and he returned to normal after the potato was avoided.
"Awkwardness, misbehaviour, and refusal to go to bed" are also massive symptoms of high serotonin.

I also remember, when I was eating potatoes as my primary carb source, I would have major outbursts with my parents and get into lots of arguments during that time, I observed the effect potatoes have on people's behaviour in real life because I was very interested:

What I found was that 2 other people in my family reacted in a negative way to potatoes. My brother was calm, sitting down once, he opened a bag of chips, finished it in front of me. Right after he gets his beard shaver and starts annoying me with it, pretending he was trying to shave my face off, keep in mind he was sitting down all calm and straight-faced prior to this. His behaviour transformed instantly right after eating it.

Then I observed this in my mom, she was all calm and happy and ready to eat, she finished a meal with potatoes and right after she was so angry for no reason, and she is usually calm and controls her anger easily, this time she felt like she had no control, her outlook changed fully after the meal, she was talking about she was doing housework all the time and she's gonna die if this keeps going on.

I never would've thought that a simple food like potatoes could change behaviour in humans, especially people who don't have a known allergy to the food. I want you guys to observe your thought patterns and behaviour after a meal with potatoes and tell me how you feel after, I'm basically on some kind of mini observation. I'm diving into root vegetables and the disgusting compounds they contain.

Nebula

How do you respond to a quality rice? I think that’s the starch I react best to. Inflammation seems lowest on basmati rice and pasture raised beef. Even lower than grass fed milk and fruit.

I’ve gone through periods of eating a large amount of potatoes daily. Felt fantastic at first, but I would notice inflammation increasing eventually. I wonder if part of it could be pesticides and other industrial chemicals, because I respond much better to Yukon potatoes grown in my brother’s garden.

OP
S

Starchless

How do you respond to a quality rice? I think that’s the starch I react best to. Inflammation seems lowest on basmati rice and pasture raised beef. Even lower than grass fed milk and fruit.

I’ve gone through periods of eating a large amount of potatoes daily. Felt fantastic at first, but I would notice inflammation increasing eventually. I wonder if part of it could be pesticides and other industrial chemicals, because I respond much better to Yukon potatoes grown in my brother’s garden.
Rice doesn't make me aggressive or mad like potatoes, but they make me more submissive and low mood. I feel quite feminized after eating rice (even basmati rice).
I also avoid it because it makes my balls numb every time I eat it (I still don't understand why), for about a whole entire day. Pretty much identical to SSRIS, so I avoid rice in general. I am someone who is recovering from past SSRI use through peating currently

Gânico

U really dislike starches, right?:lol:

I think everyone who follows RP understand how problematic they can be, and why they should be avoided.

Those who promote starches as healthy usually do it as a coping mechanism, either because peer pressure or because they lack money / resources to acquire good fruit, meat and dairy.

aniciete

I think everyone who follows RP understand how problematic they can be, and why they should be avoided.

Those who promote starches as healthy usually do it as a coping mechanism, either because peer pressure or because they lack money / resources to acquire good fruit, meat and dairy.
Ray peat eats starch and advocates for masa. Is he coping?

DKayJoe

I've found masa to be the most reliable starch, I eat 100g a day (not optimal but where I live a diet of quality fruit meat and dairy is too expensive for me) and it actually seems to contribute towards a better gut for me, less bloating better stools etc...

Gânico

No, it is you who is.

The starches he reccomends (eg carrots, oat bran) are just for gut cleasing, not nutrition. And he never advocated for masa as optimal food, he only said it is the least worst starch in the context of nutrition.

aniciete

No, it is you who is.

The starches he reccomends (eg carrots, oat bran) are just for gut cleasing, not nutrition. And he never advocated for masa as optimal food, he only said it is the least worst starch in the context of nutrition.
Why does he eat masa then?

aniciete

I've found masa to be the most reliable starch, I eat 100g a day (not optimal but where I live a diet of quality fruit meat and dairy is too expensive for me) and it actually seems to contribute towards a better gut for me, less bloating better stools etc...
Yeah paired with a saturated fat, it digests very well. I’ve seen peat say he eats quesadillas with masa tortillas and it’s probably my favorite snack

Tenacity

No, it is you who is.

He has been recommending oatmeal (not bran) as a carbohydrate source recently.

OP
S

Starchless

You're right, I have tried to deny that starches are bad millions of times myself, but as soon as I add starch back I get that "inferior" feeling like I don't feel as good as I should feel, confidence and wellbeing is greatly reduced and cognitive function is impaired. The more I try to add starch back in after stopping for a while, the more I want to quit starch.

OP
S

Starchless

No, it is you who is.

Facts, people on this forum love to cherry pick a few quotes from peat and adjust that information to support their belief.

For example: Someone might say "Ray peat said that potatoes are BETTER than PUFA"

"OMG THIS MEANS I CAN ENJOY MY POTATOES NOW!"

Or someone will say "Ray peat said potatoes are ALMOST the perfect food"

"PLEASE HAND ME MY FRENCH FRIES!"

Something being better than something else doesn't make the something not bad, and we need to acknowledge that some foods are plain unhealthy, even if they're a convenient source of calories.

Gânico

He has said multiple times on Roddys podcast that he eats masa tortilla cheese quesadillas.
He has been recommending oatmeal (not bran) as a carbohydrate source recently.
From roddy's podcast, It seems to me he only eats masa seldomly or as a little snack / treat, not as a significant source of his calories.

As far as his regular oatmeal comsuption, it is still very controversial, apparently he only mentioned it in a very recent radio interview, lacking further confirmation. Even the guy who made the thread about the interview wasn't so sure about it.

"If I understood him correctly, he now eats oatmeal (not oat bran) for breakfast. I'm not sure if that was a general statement or related to himself. Experiments with less protein and more carbs."

Are you sure he reccomended it or just mentioned it as a recent personal eating experiment? Not so long ago he said he was using celery juice powder for curing meat and and it harmed him for being very allergenic. (
View: https://youtu.be/e-l-LGUi9aQ?t=2141
)

freeflow

Bro, i totally get the ***t feeling from eating potatos, i got extremely angry just from funny taunting messages received from a girl that i liked and i totally overreacted the situation.
And this effect is noticable within minutes of eating the potatos.
Im experimenting with oats these days for breakfast and i cannot say it is making me feel good. But the morning coffee seems to mediate the bad, not so uplifting effects from the oats. In case i have a hard day at work and need to be mentally sharp then i have to skip the oats for sure.
Too bad im kinda addicted to oats with protein powder and berries, the most tasteful food in my day:/ :D

OP
S

Starchless

Bro, i totally get the ***t feeling from eating potatos, i got extremely angry just from funny taunting messages received from a girl that i liked and i totally overreacted the situation.
And this effect is noticable within minutes of eating the potatos.
Im experimenting with oats these days for breakfast and i cannot say it is making me feel good. But the morning coffee seems to mediate the bad, not so uplifting effects from the oats. In case i have a hard day at work and need to be mentally sharp then i have to skip the oats for sure.
Too bad im kinda addicted to oats with protein powder and berries, the most tasteful food in my day:/ :D
I can feel the depression increasing in my mouth as I chew the potatoes, even when I don't swallow them, it feels like anger is going inside me. So hard to describe the feeling.

It's like this superpower that I randomly developed after a while, I can feel the exact feeling a food is going to make me feel when I finish eating it, before I even swallow it. I know for a fact potatoes cause depression, just with enzymes in my saliva turning the starch into sugar, that process alone sends signals to my body to make me angry and apathetic now. Sounds crazy but yea

OP
S

Starchless

Isn't ginger generally regarded as anti-serotonergic? I know it's a 5-HT3 antagonist.
It antagonizes 5-HT3 but it also has other compounds in it that are naturally serotonergic, so the net effect is more serotonin. And from most people's experience with PSSD (post ssri sexual dysfunction) I can say for sure, it has a libido killing tendency. So I wouldn't mess with it.

famalalam

If Ray came out and said he's 'experimenting with potatoes', this entire forum would bend over backwards and justify its consumption, just like its done with oats.
Potatoes are a regular part of my diet and I don't experience any of the issues described in this thread.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals