Progesterone: 50 or 200mg?? For Luteal phase deficiency/pregnancy

Ucume

I’m 39, 166cm and of athletic build. I’ve always been healthier than average, never smoked, drunk or been a night owl (quite te opposite actually!) and I’ve followed a Ray Peat inspired lifestyle and strength trained for about 7yrs. I do look as a 10 years younger woman and feel and perform in life as even younger! :D

My only big issue is “dear“ doctors gave me the contraceptive pill from age 13 (!!!) because I started showing signs of male pattern alopecia then. I was on and off the pill for about 20 years 😞 until 7yrs ago when I realised all these lies and stopped it and started this lifestyle. Fyi the alopecia and acne went AWAY once I stopped all medication and changed lifestyle.

The pill definitely left me with luteal phase deficiency (only 11 days luteal with slow temp rise and spotting 1-2 days before period, although my serum P test showed a close to 50:1 ratio, which is not enough but also not optimal) which, at 37, started to give me HORRIBLE period pain (like killing pain). I’ve followed Natural Family Planning and taken my morning temperatures and tracked cycles for 7 years too and at least I know I’ve ovulated pretty much every month since.

After trying Vitex for 4 months I’ve noticed a slight improvement in mood PMS, pain and luteal phase of 12 days now, but now I’ve finally commenced with proge e (which was/is difficult to get since I’m in Europe). I’ve just started with 3 drops 5 times a day since my ovulation day (5 days ago) while reading everything I can find about it in Peat’s articles plus this forum. I also came across the website Progesterone Therapy and read it all. I’m a biohacker and a practitioner myself so I don’t agree with everything in that site (such as carbs and sugar being bad for you and for progesterone) but I’m intrigued by their consisten recommendations of 100 to 200mg of P a day, as opposed to the 50mg I’m getting with proge e. Any experience on this doses?

Besides from wanting to end the agonising periods I want to get pregnant (have just started trying so no idea how difficult/easy this will be). The proge e has given me a very nice feeling of contentment and joy and peace and still no PMS symptoms so far this cycle (could be early at day 20). I am wondering a lot wether I should go for the 100-200mg per day instead? Does anyone have experience with that? My aim is to avoid miscarriage/complications from low P while also supporting the baby with it. Also any help, opinions, experience and assistance with getting pregnant and using proge e for it I’d be so so grateful! 🥹 Also with how has proge e helped your peirods And PMS. Interestingly, even with the proge e, my post ovulation temperature rise this cycle has been slow and a bit shy (btw I have quite good general basal temperatures and pulse and have no reason to suspect thyroid issues - both my fiancé and I are alternative practitioners and follow a lot of Ray Peat’s teachings for our practice).

Sorry for the long intro and I already thank u for any insights! What do you think/see?

PD: any europeans who know how to get proge e other than from the US? 🙏🏼

Elie

Forum Supporter
Bcs plasma levels don't correlate to tissue levels I am not sure I trust those.
Tracking temp and ovulation is valuable.
While I am inclined to say the higher dose, if you do this solo with no help from a healthcare practitioner, I'd recommend joining this fb group and I am sure you can search it for existing answers for the same question Log into Facebook

OP
U

Ucume

Bcs plasma levels don't correlate to tissue levels I am not sure I trust those.
Tracking temp and ovulation is valuable.
While I am inclined to say the higher dose, if you do this solo with no help from a healthcare practitioner, I'd recommend joining this fb group and I am sure you can search it for existing answers for the same question Log into Facebook
Thank you so much Elie, I actually tried to edit the info re my P ration but the system didn't allow me. Actually my levels of P showed a value of 12, I don't know where I came up with the ratio (too much reading haha).
So far I've been feeling fantastic with the 50mg P a day and at 5 days of due period I'm still PMS free except for a very slight breast tenderness.

Gonna check that facebook group, thank you so much!

Peatful

What do you think/see?
With the limited data above
I would say
Concentrate on your thyroid health

This will decrease your symptoms and make successful conception and a wonderful pregnancy more likely

Progest e is a nice thyroid surrogate or supporter
Hence why u r receiving benefits from it

Why do I suspect thyroid issues even though u deny?
-Looks like you had trained many years
-Type A personality to be a fx med md
-Your symptoms
-The relief with prog e

Make sure your liver ie: gut is healthy to convert your t3

Ray was right of course
Thyroid is the primary regulator for our hormonal health
Gut health being second
Ive found this true for me
Looking back at my difficulties and unsuccessful pregnancies

OP
U

Ucume

I would say

This will decrease your symptoms and make successful conception and a wonderful pregnancy more likely

-Your symptoms
-The relief with prog e

Ray was right of course
Gut health being second
You are very right about type A personality! Hehe, however this is something I corrected at 33 in many ways and found my calm, feminine energy 🧘🏽‍♀️ (which I still work on every day as it was natural to me all my past life!) :)

I failed to mention that
I would say

-Your symptoms
-The relief with prog e

Ray was right of course
Gut health being second
you are very right! I’ve worked for many years on all those points (around 7 yrs so far), I only train lightly for wellbeing and nothing else after a 2yr break from all training and I believe to be in a fairly good place, but the pill definitely caused long term damage, especially as it was taken from so young (don’t u love doctors! - I’m not a MD btw!) :)

I will keep your recommendations very present as to not lose sight of the basis 🙏🏼🙏🏼

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals