Ray Peat’s cause of death

Nathan Pritikin wrote in his autobiography how he was given massive doses of radiation to “cure” a bad case of acne….he later died supposedly (at a young age) of complications from that exposure. It was used a lot in the old days. Dr. Peat mentioned how shoe stores had a fluoroscope for novelty where you could put your feet in the machine and see an x-ray of your foot in the shoe.

Why was that, side effects? He did talk a lot about supplements but seems he didnt like regularly using any?
“When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

"It's best in general to get the B vitamins from regular foods, occasionally with liver, because supplements usually contain contaminants that can cause allergic reactions when they are used for a long time. Other B vitamins that are usually safe for occasional use are B1, niacinamide, and pantothenic acid." -Ray Peat

"Some of the B vitamins, especially B2, can be very allergenic. B6 doesn't affect the others very much; 10 mg per day is a big dose." -Ray Peat

An e-mail from Rinse & RePeat to Ray Peat…

Rinse & RePeat:

“I know you caution against supplements being toxic, and endorse niacinamide, do you recommend supplementing it?”

RAY PEAT:

“Only when there’s a specific need, because of the trace impurities.”

Thats too bad, I think some migraines are a b6 deficiency. If I remember correctly Ray did not like taking vitamins.
"Because of contaminants in supplements I seldom recommend the oral use of any of them, except aspirin, which can be dissolved in warm water to remove most of the additives. In the winter I use vitamin D, but only on my skin in an oil. Using a thyroid supplement temporarily might help to lower your estrogen." -Ray Peat

“For many years, I have been seeing more symptoms relieved by stopping all the chemical supplements, than by using them.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:

Dr. B

I remember him in an interview saying he had a fluoroscope waved over him as an infant. Was either a herb doctors interview or one with Patrick Timpone.
How much radiation does one of those have compared to a regular xray like at the dentist?

“When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

"It's best in general to get the B vitamins from regular foods, occasionally with liver, because supplements usually contain contaminants that can cause allergic reactions when they are used for a long time. Other B vitamins that are usually safe for occasional use are B1, niacinamide, and pantothenic acid." -Ray Peat

"Some of the B vitamins, especially B2, can be very allergenic. B6 doesn't affect the others very much; 10 mg per day is a big dose." -Ray Peat

An e-mail from Rinse & RePeat to Ray Peat…

Rinse & RePeat:

“I know you caution against supplements being toxic, and endorse niacinamide, do you recommend supplementing it?”

RAY PEAT:

“Only when there’s a specific need, because of the trace impurities.”

Was that email “b6 doesn’t affect the others too much” an email he sent to me? It looks familiar. Also i do remember his b2 and vitamin c comments and avoid them, vitamin C causes side effects for me anyway even Quali C.

I have been doing 1000mg niacinamide a day for a couple weeks now. No big changes yet though. It seems it could help hair growth, reduce hair loss?

Also am curious Peat said in your comment that pantothenic acid is safe but I thought that was one of the bs he strongly spoke against? I think there’s been forum posts here saying it actually raises cortisol and many animal sources have a good amount so it is one b you should never be supplementing? Supposedly raises stress hormones…

I do think niacinamide is the safest one to use regularly and use in high doses. It has the highest rda anyway i think of 20mg…

Have you read anything as far as if niacinamide depletes other vitamins or minerals or has any side effects from doing high doses year round?

How much radiation does one of those have compared to a regular xray like at the dentist?

Was that email “b6 doesn’t affect the others too much” an email he sent to me? It looks familiar. Also i do remember his b2 and vitamin c comments and avoid them, vitamin C causes side effects for me anyway even Quali C.

I have been doing 1000mg niacinamide a day for a couple weeks now. No big changes yet though. It seems it could help hair growth, reduce hair loss?

Also am curious Peat said in your comment that pantothenic acid is safe but I thought that was one of the bs he strongly spoke against? I think there’s been forum posts here saying it actually raises cortisol and many animal sources have a good amount so it is one b you should never be supplementing? Supposedly raises stress hormones…

I do think niacinamide is the safest one to use regularly and use in high doses. It has the highest rda anyway i think of 20mg…

Have you read anything as far as if niacinamide depletes other vitamins or minerals or has any side effects from doing high doses year round?
Only the bottom one was an e-mail to me. All of my info on supplements I have put in my thread below….

gd81

worse than a normal x-ray

However, because so many images are acquired (1800 every minute of fluoroscopy time), the total radiation dose to the patient can be substantial, and much higher than doses associated with simple radiographic examinations (e.g., most chest x-ray examinations usually consists of only two images). Radiation doses in fluoroscopy are therefore substantially higher than in conventional radiography.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals