Ray Peat’s cause of death

Candeias

It would be truly ironic and tragic if that was the cause.

We'll never know, but what I said is just pure speculation.
He may have had ministrokes before and that's why his difficulties lately, but as far as I know low doses of aspirin protect against that, I don't know about higher doses though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221219-191947_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221219-191947_Chrome.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 377

Candeias

That's actually very possible. I used a small dose for 3-4 days and developed several big bruises on legs which disappered in a few days. It is imposibble to predict if your stores of vit K are depleted.

I've been taking 3 grams of aspirin a day with just Vit K from milk and leafy greens, so I'm educating myself for possible side effects. I'm prone to varicose veins and Afib, so I'm very sensitive to K and have to keep the blood less clotted, although lower doses of aspirin make the blood thinner. And from my experience I think the 1/315 ratio for aspirin/K is an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Peatress

Rather than speculating just read his articles and listen to his interviews. The idea the Dr Peat, who was always telling people to be mindful of vitamin K when using aspirin, suddenly forgot or took too much aspirin is absurd.

Because aspirin has been abused by pharmaceutical companies that have competing products to sell, as well as by the original efforts to promote aspirin itself, people can easily find reasons why they shouldn't take it.

Early in the 20th century, people were told that fevers were very bad, and that aspirin should be used whenever there is a fever.

In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)

Until the 1950s and 1960s, when new products were being promoted, little was said about the possibility of stomach ulceration from aspirin. Lately, there has been more publicity about the damage it can do to the stomach and intestine, much of it in connection with the sale of the new "COX-2 inhibitors." (These new drugs, rather than protecting the circulatory system as aspirin does, damage it.) Aspirin rapidly breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid (which is found in many fruits), and salicylic acid is protective to the stomach and intestine, and other organs. When aspirin was compared with the other common antiinflammatory drugs, it was found that the salicylic acid it releases protects against the damage done by another drug. (Takeuchi, et al, 2001; Ligumsky, et al., 1985.) Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants. The experiments in which aspirin produces stomach ulcers are designed to produce ulcers, not to realistically model the way aspirin is used. Ray Peat

Last edited:

Candeias

Rather than speculating just read his articles and listen to his interviews. The idea the Dr Peat, who was always telling people to be mindful of vitamin K when using aspirin suddenly forgot or took to much aspirin is absurd.

Because aspirin has been abused by pharmaceutical companies that have competing products to sell, as well as by the original efforts to promote aspirin itself, people can easily find reasons why they shouldn't take it.

Early in the 20th century, people were told that fevers were very bad, and that aspirin should be used whenever there is a fever.

In the 1980s, there was a big publicity campaign warning parents that giving aspirin to a child with the flu could cause the potentially deadly Reye syndrome. Aspirin sales declined sharply, as sales of acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) increased tremendously. But in Australia, a study of Reye syndrome cases found that six times as many of them had been using acetaminophen as had used aspirin. (Orlowski, et al., 1987)

Until the 1950s and 1960s, when new products were being promoted, little was said about the possibility of stomach ulceration from aspirin. Lately, there has been more publicity about the damage it can do to the stomach and intestine, much of it in connection with the sale of the new "COX-2 inhibitors." (These new drugs, rather than protecting the circulatory system as aspirin does, damage it.) Aspirin rapidly breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid (which is found in many fruits), and salicylic acid is protective to the stomach and intestine, and other organs. When aspirin was compared with the other common antiinflammatory drugs, it was found that the salicylic acid it releases protects against the damage done by another drug. (Takeuchi, et al, 2001; Ligumsky, et al., 1985.) Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants. The experiments in which aspirin produces stomach ulcers are designed to produce ulcers, not to realistically model the way aspirin is used. Ray Peat

I was just being a little sarcastic. But bleeding has always been one of the effects of aspirin, now the reasons, I've heard two versions: by inhibiting prostaglandins in the stomach and intestines or low K/glycine. Im seaching for the correct answer

golder

I was just being a little sarcastic. But bleeding has always been one of the effects of aspirin, now the reasons, I've heard two versions: by inhibiting prostaglandins in the stomach and intestines or low K/glycine. Im seaching for the correct answer
Please share your findings regarding K/glycine and the culprit for bleeding.

Risingfire

Rather than speculating just read his articles and listen to his interviews. The idea the Dr Peat, who was always telling people to be mindful of vitamin K when using aspirin, suddenly forgot or took too much aspirin is absurd.

Thank you!

cdg

I doubt it there are many scary accusations re aspirin people with canner take 6 to 9 thousand and we don't here anything about strokes. Ray only took 350 mg. he said so in one of his podcasts. Many people take far more for pain etc. It they were getting strokes that should have put an end to aspirin

Candeias

I doubt it there are many scary accusations re aspirin people with canner take 6 to 9 thousand and we don't here anything about strokes. Ray only took 350 mg. he said so in one of his podcasts. Many people take far more for pain etc. It they were getting strokes that should have put an end to aspirin

Aspirin and risk of hemorrhagic stroke: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
"Conclusions: These results indicate that aspirin therapy increases the risk of hemorrhagic stroke. However, the overall benefit of aspirin use on myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke may outweigh its adverse effects on risk of hemorrhagic stroke in most populations."

STROKE Causes and Risk Factors - nhlb
"
  • Blood-thinners or other medicines that can lead to bleeding"

FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA strengthens warning that non-aspirin nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can cause heart attacks or strokes

Which means the problem is not just Cox1 inhibition. And we don't know how much amount he was taking lately.

Risingfire

Yup. Ray repeatedly said 1 adult tablet was generally enough. He mentioned taking 6-7 grams if one had cancer but he always said if you took 1 gram you needed K2 to balance or coagulate.

OP
L

Logan-

What were the changes Ray Peat had made during the last year(s) of his life?

I remember him lowering the amount of protein he consumed in a day, and him consuming oatmeal or oat bran. To what degree the changes he made in his diet were due to his attempts to understand and solve his deteriorating health or were just experiments purely for theoretical purposes, arising out of his curiosity, will probably never be determined with certainty.

Last edited:

facesavant

Strange happenings in Oregon

Is it something in the air?
Does lithium, barium, aluminum cause issues for Forestry, humans or the atmosphere? (Rhetorical question).

OP
L

Logan-

Isn't this his last interview? It's the last one I remember hearing and it was dramatic to me because he self-diagnosed a 'celery allergy' (from bacon) and changed his way of eating just a few months before dying. My impression of the circumstances surrounding his death was that he switched vegetables and low-protein diet for the food group Patrick Timpone had been chirping to Ray about for over 5 years. It seems to me that the carnivore diet that Ray allegedly undertook from July to November, could have altered his physiology to an extremely high risk for adverse heart events. This is my speculation but had it not been for Ray's association with Patrick, he might have 'self-experimented' with safer ways of eating.

OP
L

Logan-

Hi. I joined the forum post death. Where was it or who confirmed Dr Peat had a stroke?

Patrick Timpone discussed it on his tribute to Peat podcast show after Peats death. Timpone worked extensively with Peat over the years and conducted countless interviews with him. He stated that it was confirmed that he died from a stroke.

Ritchie

Well yeah, but there was a build up to the stroke and something always causes strokes. No word as to what happened there…

OP
L

Logan-

@DaveFoster, do you know anything about Ray Peat’s cause of death, the last few years of his life, etc.? Could you share?

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster, do you know anything about Ray Peat’s cause of death, the last few years of his life, etc.? Could you share?
The only thing I know regarding his health troubles would include his reaction to celery powder and, prior to that I believe, a case of laryngitis.

daphne134

The only thing I know regarding his health troubles would include his reaction to celery powder and, prior to that I believe, a case of laryngitis.

I'm listening now, to your Remembering Ray Peat episode on YT. Really interesting!

Panopticon

dew uses endotoxin to kill, thats why the lowered protein... end o toxin

if you want to save your lives skin feed and drink minerals with vinegar, win E gurr

edit: added pic

Attachments

• satcycle3-4_4_orig.png
    satcycle3-4_4_orig.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 193
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals