Skin Problem After Peating

Pet Peeve

The skin in my face used to be really smooth, but after starting to Peat the skin doesn't look so good. The skin on my cheeks looks irregular sort of with dents, hard to explain. I know it's not acne-scars. I found a picture on the net that looks kind of what I have. Do you have an idea what this could be?

upload_2016-8-18_12-0-59.png

EIRE24

I also have terrible skin now due to a peat diet. I used to be able to eat whatever without a pimple/zit or anything appearing but now I struggle and have to keep a very particular diet if I want clear skin. I am not sure what happened but my guess is that it altered my gut bacteria when I ditched starch.

Try vitamin A, zinc and some sort of a B complex. This may help. I hope you sort out your problems as I know skin problems are not nice at all

tara

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

Wanna mention what your version of 'doing Peat' has meant?

Well, it's not as bad as the picture, but its similar at least in certain light. I've been eating lots of sugar, no PUFA. Lately I've been drinking milk and orange juice. I have a problem getting enough vitamin a as liver is the only source I can handle. Thought maybe someone knew if it was a particular thing, certain vitamin deficiency or maybe the result of glycolysis...

tara

I have a problem getting enough vitamin a as liver is the only source I can handle.
Have you had a check in cronometer or similar to see if there are some glaring micronutrient deficiencies?
The skin replaces itself quite frequently, and so if there are deficiencies in any of the necessary nutrients it can be hard to keep maintaining it perfectly.

I have no knowledge of the specific condition, but I suspect there are probably lots of deficiencies that will show up in the skin eventually. At least vit-A, zinc, vit-C, glycine, some B-vits ... .

I've also read that you can help protect the skin and conserve some of these nutrients to make them go further (vit-C was the one I remember reading about) by using barriers on the skin (eg what I read was vaseline or similar, but I imagine tallow/cocoa butter etc could also be relevant).

sladerunner69

The skin in my face used to be really smooth, but after starting to Peat the skin doesn't look so good. The skin on my cheeks looks irregular sort of with dents, hard to explain. I know it's not acne-scars. I found a picture on the net that looks kind of what I have. Do you have an idea what this could be?

View attachment 3409

I noticed this as well! I believe it is completely due to coffee drinking. Peat even has this kind of skin, and so does danny roddy, although to a much lesser degree.
My skin began to take this affect too, especially the more coffee I drank. After quitting caffiene, my skin was unbelievably smooth. It looked like I had the same skin as when I was 12. My friends actually thought I was wearing make-up a few times, haha. Now that I drink a few coffees a day my skin isnt as eprfect but I dont mind, and I dont think it is a be all end all measurment for internal health. I know that eating copper rich foods like lvier and oysters helps to offset dowregulation of the Camp enzyme, which is integral for upholding skin elasticity, so I noticed better skin after consuming these kinds of copper rich foods (I wod recommend you begin to eat more copper foods and lessen your caffiene intake)

EIRE24

Have you had a check in cronometer or similar to see if there are some glaring micronutrient deficiencies?
The skin replaces itself quite frequently, and so if there are deficiencies in any of the necessary nutrients it can be hard to keep maintaining it perfectly.

I have no knowledge of the specific condition, but I suspect there are probably lots of deficiencies that will show up in the skin eventually. At least vit-A, zinc, vit-C, glycine, some B-vits ... .

I've also read that you can help protect the skin and conserve some of these nutrients to make them go further (vit-C was the one I remember reading about) by using barriers on the skin (eg what I read was vaseline or similar, but I imagine tallow/cocoa butter etc could also be relevant).
I actually find Vaseline awesome for the skin. Strangely enough I don't tolerate coconut oil so I'm not sure if putting that on my face would give the same reaction or not?

Agent207

I've been eating lots of sugar

You have the answer ritght there.

From my point of view one of the biggest mis-interpretations and mistakes at this forum is the indulgence at eating liberal amounts of sugar, I mean plain table sugar. I can agree with the idea that under certain special stressful circumstances, IF you have nothing better at hand, cheap sugar may be better than nothing, a lesser evil. But it's better trying to avoid that circumstances and having to rely on sugar as much as possible; opt for fresh whole fruits always instead.

Don't get me wrong, I see no problem with a tsp of sugar sometimes; but avoid it as a staple calorie source at all cost, just like you do with the pufas. Your skin will thank it to you.

Atalanta

That is helpful if one accepts that the only substances essential to good health are the ones that the government says are essential.

There are many substances in food that have not been identified. The "Peat" diet for many people is so restrictive that even if cronometer says that all nutrients are covered, that means very little. If that were the case, then a person could simply ingest all the nutrients in supplement form, drink only soda or sugared water for calories and still be healthy.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but my skin looks great when I eat lots of beta-carotene rich vegetables (not carrot salad). No amount of liver and vitamin A supplements helped my skin look better after it was ruined by following a Peat-style diet. I believe that beta carotene and other carotenoids/substances in vegetables/starches benefit the skin(and general health), and not because they are converted to vitamin A.

Also, I think that too much calcium causes skin problems for some people, by interfering with the absorption of zinc and magnesium.

Whatever the causes, we can't ignore the fact that many people develop skin problems after following a Peat-style diet of no starches, lots of sugar, orange juice, milk, calcium etc.

EIRE24

That is helpful if one accepts that the only substances essential to good health are the ones that the government says are essential.

There are many substances in food that have not been identified. The "Peat" diet for many people is so restrictive that even if cronometer says that all nutrients are covered, that means very little. If that were the case, then a person could simply ingest all the nutrients in supplement form, drink only soda or sugared water for calories and still be healthy.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but my skin looks great when I eat lots of beta-carotene rich vegetables (not carrot salad). No amount of liver and vitamin A supplements helped my skin look better after it was ruined by following a Peat-style diet. I believe that beta carotene and other carotenoids/substances in vegetables/starches benefit the skin(and general health), and not because they are converted to vitamin A.

Also, I think that too much calcium causes skin problems for some people, by interfering with the absorption of zinc and magnesium.

Whatever the causes, we can't ignore the fact that many people develop skin problems after following a Peat-style diet of no starches, lots of sugar, orange juice, milk, calcium etc.
What vitamin A did you try and at what doses?

Atalanta

What vitamin A did you try and at what doses?

I used Vitamin A palmitate, 100,000iu daily(along with vitamin E, zinc, b-vitamins). Did not help at all.

There is more to healthy skin than just vitamin A.

My skin improved greatly after stopping the Peat style diet even, without the massive doses of vitamin A.
No one should need that much pre-formed vitamin A in order to have healthy skin. Something is seriously wrong with the health of any person who needs large amounts of vitamin A.

One explanation often given for the need for massive doses of vitamin A is that PUFAs are depleting vitamin A or that there isn't enough vitamin E to protect the vitamin A. I know people who ingest lots of PUFA, don't take vitamin E, and they don't have skin problems. It is ironic that many Peat followers develop skin problems after eliminating PUFAs, even though PUFAs are supposedly not essential for health.

Another explanation offered is that the Peat-style diet increases the metabolism so much that it creates nutrient deficiencies that need to be remedied by massive doses of vitamin supplements and hormones. That explanation has never made any sense to me.

Emstar1892

I used Vitamin A palmitate, 100,000iu daily(along with vitamin E, zinc, b-vitamins). Did not help at all.

There is more to healthy skin than just vitamin A.

My skin improved greatly after stopping the Peat style diet even, without the massive doses of vitamin A.
No one should need that much pre-formed vitamin A in order to have healthy skin. Something is seriously wrong with the health of any person who needs large amounts of vitamin A.

One explanation often given for the need for massive doses of vitamin A is that PUFAs are depleting vitamin A or that there isn't enough vitamin E to protect the vitamin A. I know people who ingest lots of PUFA, don't take vitamin E, and they don't have skin problems. It is ironic that many Peat followers develop skin problems after eliminating PUFAs, even though PUFAs are supposedly not essential for health.

Another explanation offered is that the Peat-style diet increases the metabolism so much that it creates nutrient deficiencies that need to be remedied by massive doses of vitamin supplements and hormones. That explanation has never made any sense to me.

I have to second this, just based on personal experience. When PUFAs get too low I develop dry skin with tiny whiteheads all over my entire face - the kind that give a horrible, gravel type gradient in harsh light. I really do look ill when that happens.

And pure sugar is a guaranteed deep cyst, usually along the cheekbone, lips or forehead.

tara

Yeah. The RDI's are not necessarily always going to be enough - they are just rough estimates of what an average person needs to avoid overt deficiency diseases/symptoms. Sometimes particular people in particular states may need more of some nutrients. And some of the trace ones are not dealt with at all - probably not well known what people's needs are for some of them. But if one is not meeting RDIs, that could be well indicate a problem worth addressing by seeking other foods (and maybe occasionally supplements) to fill in the gaps.

I also share your concern about people eating a very narrowly restrictive range of foods. Eating a wide range of foods gives a better chance of meeting not only minimum requirements for particular minerals, but also a range of different forms containing those minerals - so more likely to get things in a form one can use, just by variety.

tara

Peat did refer to specific experiments (with rats?) showing that the symptoms produced by withholding PUFAs completely - including visible skin trouble - could be resolved by supplying more of particular B-vits.
Doesn't mean that is always the cause of people's skin trouble after restricting PUFAs, but it seems possible that it could sometimes be a relevant contributor.

tara

I actually find Vaseline awesome for the skin. Strangely enough I don't tolerate coconut oil so I'm not sure if putting that on my face would give the same reaction or not?
Petroleum jelly (eg Vaseline) is a pretty effective barrier - protects and keeps in skin moisture really effectively - lots of people find it really effective.
Some people find coconut oil good on the skin, but also many find it too drying.
Personally, I find petroleum jelly useful, coconut oil too drying by itself.

Hasen

I noticed this as well! I believe it is completely due to coffee drinking. Peat even has this kind of skin, and so does danny roddy, although to a much lesser degree.

Really? I thought Danny's skin looked pretty flawless, certainly seems that way in his videos. Don't forget he has oysters every day so I hope everyone is including seafood in their diets.

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

Thanks for replies. I'll cut out coffee for a while as I don't think I handle it very well anyway.

Agent207

I second the very low pufa/skin issue; I developed dried skin/hair too after months of extremely cutting pufa to 4-5gr day. Recently I introduced 1/2 cup of oats day and some low cooked fish here an then -like I used to do before Peat- and I saw minor improvement in skin complexion in matter of a week!!! I think we're doing it wrong with the pufa mindset but this is not Peat's fault; it is as always, reductionism and the our binary mindset, going for extreme opposites.

I think the facts that Peat warns against the PUFAs are valid and very solid, but not so much is conclusion about his role on whole health which it may be far more complex. We barely know the human body, we can observe things in an isolated way, but we don't know the whole picture becouse we lack tons of data. Its like doing reverse engeneering.

I did the same mistake in the Barry Sears era, when pufas supposed to be all good, and omega 3, eicosanoids... etc. Everything seemed solid too. Now I sadly feel I did the same mistake. Reductionism, taking a philosophy like a religion, always thinking this time Im in the right one. You can see this everywhere, from lowcarbers, paleos, fruitarians, bulletproofers... etc, etc.

One of the most important bioindicators for me is skin appearenca/texture changes from the inside. Thats above longevity theories and everything else.

For myself and from now on I plan to not adhering to any radical change and take decisions with a more critical thinking and applying the precautionary principle. I plan to think, perceive, act.

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

I second the very low pufa/skin issue; I developed dried skin/hair too after months of extremely cutting pufa to 4-5gr day.

When I was on vacation in Asia for a month I decided to completely forget all ideas about health and just eat and drink whatever I felt like to see what would happen. I ate ribs, hamburgers, fries, curries etc. My face swelled up and I looked older. I felt cold a lot. If my skin was smoother it seems it was from general inflammation. I wonder if increasing saturated fat intake could help skin, like switching to full fat milk or something.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals